OA277
Topic Author

MAN-SFO, What Would You Fly?

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:23 am

I am planning to fly from Manchester to San Fransisco next Easter.
The only scheduled flight from Manchester is with U.S. Airways via Philadelphia using A330.
What would you suggest?
Thanks

David_itl

RE: MAN-SFO, What Would You Fly?

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:00 am

I'm pretty certain that SFO is one of the 80 North American destinations that bmi codeshare with United.

Therefore, donate some hard-earned cash onto a MAN-IAD/ORD-SFO service to bmi (though I daresay booking the flight via United may be cheaper!)

David/MAN

kaitak

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:12 am

Got to go with David_itl's suggestion. How could you be in MAN and resist a flight on a bmi 332!! And, now that they have an earlier departure time, you can have a fairly leisurely jaunt through ORD and return via IAD (or VV, depending on your preferences). Work it out right and you'll get to fly on types you may not have flown before. And don't forget the bmi airmiles. STAR Alliance airlines are much more generous and besides which, US Airways points mightn't be too valuable in the medium term . . .

sunbird

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:20 am

Personaly when I fly I try to get all the connections I can find, just so I can travel on all different types of airlines..... perhapes you might try jetblue to NY and Virgin to Man or London and there all kinds of airlines with different equipment you can fly on from Lon to Man, just look around at flight routes, times and aircraft. U might be suprised at what you might find.........good luck

Crosswind

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:21 am

I'd agree, fly bmi!

The US Airways flight is just a connection to Manchester like any other airline with an en-route aircraft change, it's just they use the same flight number all the way.

United/bmi actually offer the fastest SFO-MAN flight (through ORD) at 12h50min according to Amadeus.

Regards
CROSSWIND

OA277
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:29 am

Thanks very much for your replies, can I ask something else as well?
I am having a miles card from Lufthansa.
That means that I can use it on Bmi and United....
Is that right?
Thanks

star_world

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:37 am

Yes, you can use your Lufthansa card to collect the miles for the BMI / UA flights. Round-trip it's about 11,300 miles which could definitely be useful!

star_world

MCMAHONSMR

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:26 am

Consider this:

If you arrive from a flight from Europe and are transferring to a US domestic city you have to claim your luggage, clear customs and recheck it to your final destination. So, flying from MAN-IAD-SFO could be more time consuming than you might think.....although trying BD's 332 is a goal of mine....you may want to consider flying with a UA codeshare from MAN-LHR and connect to a UA flight to SFO (I think they have one)...or do what the other guy suggests and do MAN-FRA-SFO. The more miles the better.

Good Luck

n175dz

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:52 am

Just to add my $0.02...

I would definetly recommend BMI, much like the others here. Their A332 is excellent and the service better than any other transatlantic coach I've tried.

Although a transfer at LHR would save the inevitable recheck at either IAD or ORD - it does mean a transfer from LHR T1 to T3, something which I understand to be not that much fun either.

I'm taking BMI's A332 to IAD on Friday (then onto ATL) and I'm planning to post a trip report on return.

cheers, Phil.

ual777contrail

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:23 am

BMI to IAD
UAL to SFO

it splits the trip in half, and you would get a a330 on bmi. and a 777 IAD SFO or a 767

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos