artsyman

CO Putting More Or Less Flat-seats On New 777's

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:19 am

I just heard from my friend in inflight, that Continental is putting the almost flat beds in the 2 new 777's. The seats will not be the 180 degree flats, but 170 degree seats. Not bad for Business class !!

Jer

RE: CO Putting More Or Less Flat-seats On New 777's

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:35 am

I haven't heard anything. Can you confirm? What is your source?

Mitchell Gant

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:44 am

The new businessfirst seats will start being installed soon. I can't recall the exact configuration but the coach cabin will shrink to around 190 seats vs. 235.

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:48 am

Any pictures?

keesje

Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:02 am

Rumours that LH (A346) will also introduce them.

Probably much like the new CX, VS and SIA business class seats. Flat but not horizontal ... about 60 inch pitch required..

http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/inflight/class/0,,31989,00.html

Anyone know about other airlines planning those new sleeper seats ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

artsyman

Ibizajera330

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:55 am

I haven't heard anything. Can you confirm? What is your source?

Well I don't feel like putting people's phone numbers on here, but my girlfriend has worked at Continental for 15 years, one of my good friends works in Inflight at Continental and that's what he does for Continental. He works on all things inflight, including the layouts of the interiors etc. He is one of the people working on this.

He is my source

Jer

cdfmxtech

RE: Ibizajera330

Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:23 am

Valid

codc10

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:14 am

Sorry about starting the duplicate thread, I guess I should be more thorough!

Just two questions...

Will this new product be offered on the 767's as well?

and

When will the new 777's be delivered?

artsyman

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:22 am

you wrote...since CO is beginning to fall behind with the current BF product (gadgetry, legroom, etc.).

This is a surprise to me, I do not see how this comment could be made, UAL, AA, DAL, NWA, none of these offer a service that matches CO. What gadgets do you speak of ?, PTV's, plenty of movies, all the toys etc. I had a few guys on my flight on Saturday from IAH>LGW who had just flown Upper class on Virgin and said that Businessfirst was better than that also....

would love to hear how you came to this opinion. could you explain ?

At the moment, there are no plans to upgrade the 767 fleet, and as far as I know, there isnt a plan to upgrade the rest of the 777 fleet, although I did not ask this, so I will try to find out. As far as delivery date for the new 777's, I dont know yet, but I was told that they are keeping the planes up in Seattle until all modifications are done. This is probably to push the delivery date as far into the future as possible

Jer

codc10

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:31 am

Certainly.

I fly very frequently with BusinessFirst, and with other, competing products of different carriers.

While BF is far and away my favorite way to travel, I have noticed these things:

-The 6" PTV is becoming standard for economy class, while a 7-8" unit is more or less the norm in business class on other carriers.
-At times, the IFE is scratchy with poor sound quality, or even inop
-the 55" pitch is now quite average, especially since DL, AA, and UA now all offer 60" pitch in their respective business class products.
-If BF is really supposed to be First-Class, as it claims to be, the intricate appointments of the UA First Suite, AA Flagship Suite, BA Suite, SQ First and others all feature things not found with CO, such as an extra-large PTV, video players, acoustic noise-canceling headphones, sleep suits, duvets, and a more extensive amenity kit.

I'm sure you get the idea by now, but I want you to also know that there is absolutely no comparison, anywhere in the world, to cabin crews of CO International (especially IAH-based, Southern Hospitality at its best!), and I have nothing but praise for the crews. Still the seat itself may need some upgrading to keep pace with the trendsetters in the industry.

artsyman

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:51 am

I take your comments, but I am slightly confused. AA, Delta, UAL are offering a three class service, and you are comparing their First Class with Continentals Business class. When CO calls it Business first, the slogan behind it is that they are putting business first. I believe that Continentals Business is significantly better than its US counterparts, but I would agree that the First class on the others may well be better than Continentals Business class, but they are not comparing like for like.

Jer

afitch7881

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:55 am

I think CO should offer the noise canceling headsets on Biz first flights, domestic and International

flydeltasjets

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:25 pm

Artsy,

DL does not offer international first class, only Business Elite.

RedEye

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:34 pm

Agreed about CO needing noise canceling headsets upfront. I'm a little familiar with AA, so I know they offer noise canceling headsets and personal video players even in business. I'm also impressed with the business class amenity kit compared to CO (e.g. Rembrandt toothpaste, Origins products, etc.). Putting in a flat seat will definitely help Continental improve its product and maintain market share. I still think CO has the best service of the US carriers, though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos