triley1057

The Beach At LAX

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:18 am

I recently moved to Long Beach and last Saturday I flew out of LAX for the first time in a long time on a flight to Sacramento. For all of you LAX spotters, is it possible to get on the beach at the end of the runways or is it a restricted area? It seems like it would be an excellent spot to see planes take off. Also, someone metioned a great spot to view planes was on top of some hill? Can someone please repeat that information?

QANTAS747-438

RE: The Beach At LAX

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:41 am

Yeah, it's called Dockweiler State Beach. Great waves! If you hang out there, and get some sun, the planes fly right above you and you can watch them ascend, level off, and turn which ever way they are going. I reccommend it. The only slight problem is that the planes usually take off half way down the runway, and then there's about a mile from the halfway mark to the ocean, so by then they are a little high up, but still very close!

Also, for that hill, you're thinking of Imperial Hill. That is one, I think, that is by 25L. There's a better one I know of called Sandpiper Road. It looks all the way down 24R/L and all that side of LAX.

By the way, neither of these are "hills" but merely roads that are on an incline but have a great view.

So check out Dockweiler Beach.... Imperial Hill... and Sandpiper.

And it's my duty as an LAX fan and resident to say that you MUST go to the In N' Out on Sepulveda ON the 24R flight path centerline. Amazing hamburgers and even better view!!!
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:44 am

The beach is not restricted ( it's a State beach ).
For the hill, the street is Sandpiper Street off Pershing drive.( Playa Del Rey area )

Hope this helps,

Stefan

ATA L1011

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:45 am

Hey Qantas you cant park on Sandpiper anymore, they will even give you grief if you stand up their. Qantas did you ever go to that street that was just North of Lincoln that ran near 24L and R before they stopped parking their? It was great to watch them roar by you with full reverse thrust going.
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

delta-flyer

Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:49 am

I like to stay at the Sheraton or Marriott on Century Blvd. when I am in LA so I can get some great in-room views of the south pair of runways as well as approaches to the north pair. Too bad I'm hardly in my room during daylight, except for early am.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

United_fan

Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:57 am

The Hilton is very nice. Located between both runways. You can also go to the Proudbird rest. and watch 25L approaches.There are even porta -pots their.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

bhmal

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:06 am

United_Fan,

I've stayed at that Hilton a few times also. Terrific views. Where is the Proudbird rest you're talking about?

I'd be interested to try it next time I'm there.

bombayhog

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:00 am

In late 2000 I was in Los Angeles for a few days, and I made a trip to the airport one night to see if I could find some good places to spot. I ended up on a hill (I don't remember the name) that was right by the ocean, and had a couple planes thunder over me. It was very cool. But then after about five minutes the cops arrived and told me to get the hell out of there. I don't know if it's always like that, but it didn't seem like they were too fond of people spotting when I was there.

/gwl

RyDawg82

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:57 am

ATAL1011 asked a good question....Westchester Parkway had a road that ran up close to 24L, when I was there in August you could still park up on a side street *sort of on an incline* post 9-11 have they shut this road down????

Also has anyone tried spotting in the B and C long term lots? Ryan
You can take the pup out of Alaska, but you can't take the Alaska out of the pup.

United_fan

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:11 pm

I don't know the name of the road that Proudbird is on,but it's on the road that is at the beginning of 25L it's the same road that the cargo complex is on.There are a buch of old warplanes in the front of it.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

ATA L1011

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:07 pm

Its on Aviation Bl and like 109s to 111st
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

modesto2

Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:17 pm

I'd highly recommend the LAX Hilton, particularly the executive lounge. They have great views of the south complex. You can enjoy a nice drink and read the newspaper while listening to the incessant roars of heavy departures. Additionally, the In-N-Out is a great place to watch arrivals. 24R arrivals are so close that you can spit at the planes!

HlywdCatft

Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:45 pm

The reason maybe you were chased off the hill is because there is some kind of butterfly sanctuary between whatever road that is on the west end and the beach.

I recall seeing some kind of sign that said blue butterfly sanctuary.

HB-IQF

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:19 pm

@ all LAX based:

I agree completely about the In-N-Out ! Was there 2 years ago, great !!! But where should a european Spotter deffenitly go by now. I think a lot changed since 9-11 . 2 years ago it was so easy and cool, driving around the cargo Area checking out all of these parking lots, and the aproach. Made a lot of very good pics there. For me it was one of my best spots in the US.  Big thumbs up

Greethings from Germany
Marco
 Smokin cool

Fly-K

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:58 pm

This is the view from Sandpiper Road:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...