Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NateGreat
Topic Author

Orlando to London: Why no flights to Heathrow?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:50 am

One question that has been on my mind (And, I’m sure many others’) for quite some time is why there are no nonstop flights from Orlando International Airport (KMCO/MCO) to London Heathrow Airport (EGLL/LHR). There are however, 3 airlines that fly to London Gatwick Airport (EGKK/LGW): British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Thomas Cook. According to FR24, there are 5 flights currently on their way from Orlando to Gatwick: MT2975, BA2036, VS28, VS16 and BA2038. With all these flights, one has to wonder why there are no nonstop flights between Orlando and Heathrow.

Pe@rson

Re: Orlando to London: Why no flights to Heathrow?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:56 am

As it's a volume-based leisure destination, and not a sufficiently high-yielding one to justify expensive slots at LHR.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 am

NateGreat wrote:
one has to wonder why there are no nonstop flights between Orlando and Heathrow.

No they don't, it's pretty straightforward:
It's a high-O&D, high-volume, vacation destination. Thus no "need" to serve it from LHR, as the primary point of sale is on the UK side and it doesn't rely on connections, so why use the slot if the market doesn't demand it?

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see at least one LHR flight at some point. Just not a priority for anyone.

davescj

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 am

I suspect it has to do with yields ex-LHR. It seems from what I've come to understand that LHR tends to get the 'premium' routes and LGW gets the leisure routes. I suspect that part of the computation is cost of doing business at LHR vs LGW as well as slot availability. Isn't LHR limited in the number of take-offs/landings? Ex for DL, they have a JV with VS. So why create another flight to LHR rather than from another city that VS doesn't serve?

UAEflyer

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:14 am

I think BA/VS need to review their operation in MCO, if that route is working (Technically) for EK , I believe the 2 UK airlines can do something from LHR. I think there is a decent traffic from India to Florida.

Andy33

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 am

Heathrow is totally slot-controlled. Slots are traded and have sold for up to $60m for sought-after times of day. It is going to take an awfully long time for an investment like that to reach pay-back time, given that multiple airlines already provide a London-Orlando service from LGW, and indeed other UK airports.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:28 am

UAEflyer wrote:
I believe the 2 UK airlines can do something from LHR.

Of course they can... that's never been in question.

The question is and has always been: why bother?
What would be the point in using slots worth $50million+ to serve a market that they already dump plenty of capacity into?

Both BA and VS could've switched MCO to LHR more than a decade ago, if they felt a need. But they very clearly don't, at least for the foreseeable future. Even the entry of carriers who are able to offer seamless connections (e.g. LH, EK, etc) hasn't changed that.

Arion640

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

if they can fill the plane at LGW there is no need to operate from LHR. Like mentioned above, primarly lesuire and O&D.

rutankrd

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 am

UAE there is MORE money to be made on Point to point high demand than can be recouped from carrying connections .

UK families flock to Mouseville in there millions for some reason and many most buy a packaged deal of sorts via BA Hoildays, Virgin Hoildays and Thomas Cook oh and TUI whom also fly into neighbouring Sandford.

Again the market is saturated in capacity from London Manchester Birmingham Glasgow Belfast even smaller airports such as Bristol Newcastle and East Midlands have northern summer flights into Sandford.

Seriously it’s heavily tourist vacationers and there is no need to waste a slot or two at Heathrow .

David_itl

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 am

The CAA stats for 2017 show this for passenger numbers

BFS MCO 9176
BHX MCO 624
BHX SFB 16021
BRS SFB 11458
CWL MCO 1260
EDI SFB 2305
EMA SFB 10908
GLA SFB 21755
GLA MCO 98136
LGW SFB 39862
LGW MCO 826319
MAN SFB 48150
MAN MCO 479902
NCL SFB 23073
STN SFB 3462
STN MCO 28314

11 airports connected to the general Orlando airport

skipness1E

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 am

We had this very same thread a few months ago. There is almost zero paid business class on LGW-MCO, it’s points redemption with no F offered as well as overwhelmingly UK originating. i.e. it’s a perfect fit for Gatwick.

mwhcvt

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 am

David_itl wrote:

BFS MCO 9176
BHX MCO 624
BHX SFB 16021
BRS SFB 11458
CWL MCO 1260
EDI SFB 2305
EMA SFB 10908
GLA SFB 21755
GLA MCO 98136
LGW SFB 39862
LGW MCO 826319
MAN SFB 48150
MAN MCO 479902
NCL SFB 23073
STN SFB 3462
STN MCO 28314

11 airports connected to the general Orlando airport

The most astonishing thing about that beyond the connectivity the Orlando area has to the UK, is that knowing this almost completely O&D PAX that means that the equivalent of nearly 2.5% of the population of the UK travelled to Orlando in a single, thats nuts

Cunard

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 pm

rutankrd wrote:
UAE there is MORE money to be made on Point to point high demand than can be recouped from carrying connections .

UK families flock to Mouseville in there millions for some reason and many most buy a packaged deal of sorts via BA Hoildays, Virgin Hoildays and Thomas Cook oh and TUI whom also fly into neighbouring Sandford.

Again the market is saturated in capacity from London Manchester Birmingham Glasgow Belfast even smaller airports such as Bristol Newcastle and East Midlands have northern summer flights into Sandford.

Seriously it’s heavily tourist vacationers and there is no need to waste a slot or two at Heathrow .

Trying not to be pedantic but it's actually SANFORD rather than SANDFORD!

rutankrd

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Cunard thanks correct just quick fingers !

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
David_itl wrote:

GLA MCO 98136
LGW SFB 39862
LGW MCO 826319
MAN SFB 48150
MAN MCO 479902
NCL SFB 23073
etc

The most astonishing thing about that beyond the connectivity the Orlando area has to the UK, is that knowing this almost completely O&D PAX that means that the equivalent of nearly 2.5% of the population of the UK travelled to Orlando in a single [year], thats nuts

That was my first thought too.
Would these be the same people who just a couple of years ago were struggling to get on the property ladder? All of a sudden they have money to burn.
What are we looking at for two weeks? $3600 minimum for flight & hotel package ($6000 if you want a bed that doesn't "bite" :lol: ). Then you've got to add hire car, meals, and entrance tickets to all those attractions.... Anybody who goes to Florida and comes away having spent less than $10k (per couple), must have spent two weeks eating at Wal-Mart.
And if they've got a couple of kids too (isn't that primarily who goes to Disney etc).....

rutankrd

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Sheikh those and more still can’t buy and it’s not simply the headline prices but rather more the ludicrous deposits required today and post the finiancal crash now a decade ago, however that’s for a different forum.

That said you’re not far off. Much indeed many of these family trips are heavily funded by the infamous Bank of Mum Dad and particularly Grand parents, often by capital release on property investments.

flymco753

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Heathrow is becoming increasingly popular with the business traffic out of MCO. Perhaps this is a route for British Airways? There’s a few markets where they coincide. I’d like to see DL do it, but I don’t think Delta would want to utilize the slot that way.

rutankrd

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Flymco the business traffic is already in the hands of Delta via Atlanta .Gotta feed the monster Hub somehow !

flymco753

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:52 pm

rutankrd wrote:
Flymco the business traffic is already in the hands of Delta via Atlanta .Gotta feed the monster Hub somehow !
You’re right, via ATL.

aemoreira1981

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Short answer: leisure. To connect MCO to LHR, one is likely needing to move an existing LHR flight to LGW.

rutankrd

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Aemoreira not so .
No need to move any flights at all - again the UK- Mouseville and swamp market is overwhelmingly point to point - its immense and there simply is no need to cater for connecting traffic to fill the planes which can carry reduced yield particularly in the back of the bus.

Hence BA And VS hand it over to their leisure operations in The West Sussex and Surrey hinterlands.

However both BA and VS route their business traffic into Miami .

sandycx

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:23 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NateGreat wrote:
one has to wonder why there are no nonstop flights between Orlando and Heathrow.

It's a high-O&D, high-volume, vacation destination. Thus no "need" to serve it from LHR, as the primary point of sale is on the UK side and it doesn't rely on connections, so why use the slot if the market doesn't demand it?

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see at least one LHR flight at some point. Just not a priority for anyone.

Yes, I think Las Vegas is a good reference where perhaps for similar reasons both BA and VS operated form LGW whereas now BA now operates 10 weekly frequencies from LHR in addition to flights from LGW while VS operates solely from LGW.

ACA033

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:09 pm

I thought it was because MCO was more of a family vacation destination, and in the London area, LGW is the airport most carriers (VS, BA) use for their leisure flights.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm

sandycx wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
NateGreat wrote:

Yes, I think Las Vegas is a good reference where perhaps for similar reasons both BA and VS operated form LGW whereas now BA now operates 10 weekly frequencies from LHR in addition to flights from LGW while VS operates solely from LGW.

Sorta.

Your history is a bit off there. VS has flown LGW-LAS for decades.
Nine years ago, BA actually came in from LHR originally, chasing the business and connections market at LAS.

Three years after it'd already begun LHR-LAS, BA also added LGW-LAS, then cancelled it, then recently brought it back as a seasonal route.

So while they both do serve LGW-LAS, BA's primary targeted market is LAS' premium and business traffic; whereas VS never made a go of that. It's not really the same as MCO, where neither carrier has made a bid for the premium traffic.

Might change someday, but for years they've shown no indication of doing so. LAS and JFK are the only two airports in the USA where the same airline flies from the both LHR and LGW. IINM, them, along with select Caribbean services, are the only airports on this side of the planet where that happens.

Mortyman

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm

NateGreat wrote:
One question that has been on my mind (And, I’m sure many others’) for quite some time is why there are no nonstop flights from Orlando International Airport (KMCO/MCO) to London Heathrow Airport (EGLL/LHR). There are however, 3 airlines that fly to London Gatwick Airport (EGKK/LGW): British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Thomas Cook. According to FR24, there are 5 flights currently on their way from Orlando to Gatwick: MT2975, BA2036, VS28, VS16 and BA2038. With all these flights, one has to wonder why there are no nonstop flights between Orlando and Heathrow.

Norwegian also fly from Orlando Internationa to LGW

cschleic

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
sandycx wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Sorta.

Your history is a bit off there. VS has flown LGW-LAS for decades.
Nine years ago, BA actually came in from LHR originally, chasing the business and connections market at LAS.

Three years after it'd already begun LHR-LAS, BA also added LGW-LAS, then cancelled it, then recently brought it back as a seasonal route.

So while they both do serve LGW-LAS, BA's primary targeted market is LAS' premium and business traffic; whereas VS never made a go of that. It's not really the same as MCO, where neither carrier has made a bid for the premium traffic.

Might change someday, but for years they've shown no indication of doing so. LAS and JFK are the only two airports in the USA where the same airline flies from the both LHR and LGW. IINM, them, along with select Caribbean services, are the only airports on this side of the planet where that happens.

Interesting observation. And JFK is the only one that has same airline service to three...including London City. One-way, of course, if only considering non-stop.

skipness1E

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 pm

ISTBC but even though LHR-LAS is out of T3, it does have a very high % of connections?

flydude380

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Maybe Delta will launch it... one day.

readytotaxi

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 pm

I would like a LHR/LGW flight offering Int First so I could get to my property in MCO, step up airlines.

BlueTrue

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:38 pm

How many times has this question been asked on here? Do some posters not understand that there are other successful airports apart from Lhr where airlines can run routes profitability? Why this obsession that everything should go through Lhr?

mwhcvt

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:42 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
David_itl wrote:

GLA MCO 98136
LGW SFB 39862
LGW MCO 826319
MAN SFB 48150
MAN MCO 479902
NCL SFB 23073
etc

The most astonishing thing about that beyond the connectivity the Orlando area has to the UK, is that knowing this almost completely O&D PAX that means that the equivalent of nearly 2.5% of the population of the UK travelled to Orlando in a single [year], thats nuts

That was my first thought too.
Would these be the same people who just a couple of years ago were struggling to get on the property ladder? All of a sudden they have money to burn.
What are we looking at for two weeks? $3600 minimum for flight & hotel package ($6000 if you want a bed that doesn't "bite" :lol: ). Then you've got to add hire car, meals, and entrance tickets to all those attractions.... Anybody who goes to Florida and comes away having spent less than $10k (per couple), must have spent two weeks eating at Wal-Mart.
And if they've got a couple of kids too (isn't that primarily who goes to Disney etc).....

More than likely those same people, but this is the credit generation, where we go for instant gratification and worry about paying it off in the long run, because credits cheap..hell I’m as guilty as any of them I make use of cheap credit quite often to spread the cost of stuff, but I’m very disaplined with it.. where these people fall down is when the cheap credit train derails then they get in trouble real quick

I just got a credit card to use it’s balance transfer rate to spread the cost of a large purchase, I was frankly amazed to find it was easy to get 36 months interest free just crazy, works nicely for me though

TSA125

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:24 pm

neomax

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm

BA is in a fairly weak position to start LHR for a few reasons:

1. MCO is probably the only route in the US where BA has any real competition and is third or fourth at best out of the MCO-UK market. VS and MT are flying 4-5 frequencies a day and both offer a much stronger product than BA and to many more destinations. And let’s not forget about Norwegian.

2. BA has lost the connecting Europe market to LH by virtue of using LGW which eliminates any opportunity of gaining pax connecting from across Europe into LHR; 100% of that traffic goes to LH.

3. BA has lost the connecting Asia market to EK by virtue of using LGW which eliminates any opportunity of gaining pax connecting from across Asia into LHR; 100% of that traffic goes to EK.

evank516

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Don't forget that people in MCO that really want to go to LHR can connect in ATL, JFK, PHL, EWR, and even MIA to get there too. It's not nonstop, but given the large ratio of tourists compared to business needs in London for Central Florida I'm guessing one stop connections for it aren't hurting anyone right now, especially with a rather large amount of choices of where they can make the connection.

mcogator

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm

BA sells connecting tickets from MCO. I've done MCO-LGW/LHR-PRG on one single ticket. This was a long time ago, 2002, but it is still sold. More recently, my friends did MCO-LGW/LHR-ATH a couple years ago for a wedding.

skipness1E

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 pm

neomax wrote:

1. MCO is probably the only route in the US where BA has any real competition and is third or fourth at best out of the MCO-UK market. VS and MT are flying 4-5 frequencies a day and both offer a much stronger product than BA and to many more destinations. And let’s not forget about Norwegian.

2. BA has lost the connecting Europe market to LH by virtue of using LGW which eliminates any opportunity of gaining pax connecting from across Europe into LHR; 100% of that traffic goes to LH.

3. BA has lost the connecting Asia market to EK by virtue of using LGW which eliminates any opportunity of gaining pax connecting from across Asia into LHR; 100% of that traffic goes to EK.

Don’t Delta compete on JFK/ATL-LHR?
United on EWR/IAH/IAD/DEN/LAX/SFO-LHR?
How is any of the above “no real competition”?
UK-MCO is a leisure dominated UK originating sun route, it’s not a good fit India-LHR-MCO and LGW isn’t a proper BA hub for good reason.

starguy

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Why not LGW though? LHR isn’t the beginning and end of flying in the UK. LGW is a very well connected airport, on the motorway and mainline trains run there all day and night. If I were travelling with Kids, I’d pick LGW.

fpetrutiu

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 pm

starguy wrote:
Why not LGW though? LHR isn’t the beginning and end of flying in the UK. LGW is a very well connected airport, on the motorway and mainline trains run there all day and night. If I were travelling with Kids, I’d pick LGW.

Sure, unless of course you are trying to connect in LON, then LGW is not so convenient at all.

SmithAir747

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 pm

As far as I know, LHR is business and connection-focused, whilst LGW is O&D and focused more on bucket and spade routes (like MCO, one of the biggest bucket and spade destinations stateside).

SmithAir747

neomax

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 pm

fpetrutiu wrote:
starguy wrote:

Sure, unless of course you are trying to connect in LON, then LGW is not so convenient at all.

Tell me about it! The people who say nothing's wrong with LGW are also the same people who don't live here. The amount of people who act surprised that people actually live here continues to amaze me. It's not just people from the UK coming here, we have to go places to go too and it's a lot easier to connect in LHR than in LGW. We don't give a damn about Disney tourists on holiday, we go to work and live here and need to fly and frequently for work and business. Not everyone is a tourist in Orlando and it's on par or above with any other mid-sized city in terms of Fortune 500 businesses with major offices in the area. Connecting through LGW is a painful experience, and thankfully at least DL has realized this and given the Orlando business community a BLESSING with the launch of AMS, which I have already flown twice. LHR is direly needed for the the people that actually live here and there are two sides of every route. While the UK side may be leisure oriented, the Orlando side is heavily business oriented and until LHR comes, it's DL and AMS from now on.

Bongodog1964

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm

neomax wrote:

Who are these airlines that offer more destinations to the US than BA ? No one offers more US destinations from London than BA, they might even offer more US destinations from LGW than the others

neomax

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Bongodog1964 wrote:
neomax wrote:

Who are these airlines that offer more destinations to the US than BA ? No one offers more US destinations from London than BA, they might even offer more US destinations from LGW than the others

VS and MT offer 4+ destinations across the UK each while BA only offers one. Off the top of my head, I can think of LGW, MAN, GLA, and STN for MT. VS does LGW, MAN, GLA, and BFS. I know for a fact that there are more there than this within the UK, especially for MT like BHX, while all VS routes are 744's. Meanwhile BA offers two frequencies for LGW on a 772. That puts them third right off the bat, essentially left left to compete with DY which only offer LGW in the UK, but many others in Europe such as CDG, OSL, and CPH.

Bongodog1964

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 pm

neomax wrote:
Bongodog1964 wrote:
neomax wrote:

VS and MT offer 4+ destinations across the UK each while BA only offers one. Off the top of my head, I can think of LGW, MAN, GLA, and STN for MT. VS does LGW, MAN, GLA, and BFS. I know for a fact that there are more there than this within the UK, especially for MT like BHX, while all VS routes are 744's. Meanwhile BA offers two frequencies for LGW on a 772. That puts them third right off the bat, essentially left left to compete with DY which only offer LGW in the UK, but many others in Europe such as CDG, OSL, and CPH.

Yes VS and MT offer multiple routes from the UK to MCO, whilst BA only fly from LGW, BA however offer a comprehensive US service to around 20 destinations from London from LGW and LHR. As the market leader UK - USA they will know more than the others.

neomax

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:29 am

Bongodog1964 wrote:
As the market leader UK - USA they will know more than the others.

Like what? If VS and MT are printing money with 4+ routes and multiple frequencies from MCO, it should be crystal clear to BA that there is a market outside of London. If we put aside LHR for a second, it shows just how measly their operation is. Evidently, they are literally the only longhaul UK airline to not have realized this.

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:18 am

neomax wrote:

Which isn't a true statement at all. BA does offer cnnx over LGW (without the need to transit LHR) to plenty of destinations.

Obviously not equivalent to LHR or competing hubs, but "100%" is a complete exaggeration........

neomax wrote:
Connecting through LGW is a painful experience

........as is that.

But help me understand something:
The fixation with LHR made at least some sense when regarding a nonstop, but now you've switched to complaining about lack of ability to connect over LHR-- which seems to have no logic behind it at all, considering the options ex-MCO that are already available.

Because if it's about OneWorld 1stop connection capabilities, those can easily be found over MIA/CLT/PHL/JFK for most significant destinations.

If it's about frequency of available connections, those can be found over ATL.

If it's about 1stop cnnx to secondary or tertiary cities, then gaining BA@LHR wouldn't come close to the options you already possess with LH@FRA and now DL/KL@AMS.

.....so what's the point of crying for LHR, if connections are of concern??

Andy33

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 am

neomax wrote:
Bongodog1964 wrote:

Like what? If VS and MT are printing money with 4+ routes and multiple frequencies from MCO, it should be crystal clear to BA that there is a market outside of London. If we put aside LHR for a second, it shows just how measly their operation is. Evidently, they are literally the only longhaul UK airline to not have realized this.

Is that the VS which reported a £28.4 million loss for financial year 2017? If they're printing money, goodness knows what they're doing with it. Certainly doesn't find its way into their accounts.

neomax

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:28 am

Andy33 wrote:
neomax wrote:
Bongodog1964 wrote:

Is that the VS which reported a £28.4 million loss for financial year 2017? If they're printing money, goodness knows what they're doing with it. Certainly doesn't find its way into their accounts.

They're sure as hell making more than BA out of MCO.

skipness1E

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:48 am

neomax wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
neomax wrote:

Really? Virgin fly half empty 747s through the winter with a tiny business cabin. BA don’t even offer F. GLA and BHX are overwhelmingly seasonal and outside the summer peak, so is MAN. BFS is summer only. It’s like say why don’t BA operate regional to NYC? It’s been covered time and time again. Any LHR route would end up competing with their own existing LGW service and they would cannibalise their ops. Not a deal breaker as they offer LAS from both, but not a priority it seems.

neomax

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am

skipness1E wrote:
neomax wrote:
Andy33 wrote:

Really? Virgin fly half empty 747s through the winter with a tiny business cabin. BA don’t even offer F. GLA and BHX are overwhelmingly seasonal and outside the summer peak, so is MAN. BFS is summer only. It’s like say why don’t BA operate regional to NYC? It’s been covered time and time again. Any LHR route would end up competing with their own existing LGW service and they would cannibalise their ops. Not a deal breaker as they offer LAS from both, but not a priority it seems.

I don't know which VS you've been flying, the 744's I flew last year were full to the back. To your second point, you don't add LHR, you replace a LGW frequency. BA has more slots than they use which is why the "wasting a valuable LHR slot" myth propagated by people here makes no sense. That might be true for other airlines paying millions for a pair, but not BA. Otherwise, they would not be starting any routes period, which is not the case. Regardless, DL will probably beat both BA and VS to the punch with the launch of AMS and likely launch of CDG. Delta seems to be targeting the business community in Orlando as they have found their own niche for premium biz traffic all to themselves (AMS) while instead everyone else is too distracted and busy fighting it out for the already crowded UK leisure traffic. Smart move by DL, and one that definitely has and already is cementing SkyTeam's presence in Central Florida. It will pay dividends for Delta here and with DL's stake in VS whose existing presence is already the largest of any foreign carrier at MCO having covered LGW and the rest of UK, VS will likely leave it to DL to take care of premium biz traffic to LHR with DL's focus city status at MCO and reputation as a biz airline, along with the fact that DL only flies to LHR, making it all the more likely if they go for London. Outbound traffic from businesses in the Orlando area and the US POS is a very strong business market and it is good to see DL recognizing that and tapping into it as a worthy long-term investment.

skipness1E

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

neomax wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
neomax wrote:

I don't know which VS you've been flying, the 744's I flew last year were full to the back. To your second point, you don't add LHR, you replace a LGW frequency. BA has more slots than they use which is why the "wasting a valuable LHR slot" myth propagated by people here makes no sense. That might be true for other airlines paying millions for a pair, but not BA. Otherwise, they would not be starting any routes period, which is not the case. Regardless, DL will probably beat both BA and VS to the punch with the launch of AMS and likely launch of CDG. Delta seems to be targeting the business community in Orlando as they have found their own niche for premium biz traffic all to themselves (AMS) while instead everyone else is too distracted and busy fighting it out for the already crowded UK leisure traffic. Smart move by DL, and one that definitely has and already is cementing SkyTeam's presence in Central Florida. It will pay dividends for Delta here and with DL's stake in VS whose existing presence is already the largest of any foreign carrier at MCO having covered LGW and the rest of UK, VS will likely leave it to DL to take care of premium biz traffic to LHR with DL's focus city status at MCO and reputation as a biz airline, along with the fact that DL only flies to LHR, making it all the more likely if they go for London. Outbound traffic from businesses in the Orlando area and the US POS is a very strong business market and it is good to see DL recognizing that and tapping into it as a worthy long-term investment.

As I said, off peak, I flew with a 30% load out and 50% load back last Jan, great flight :)
3 x daily in summer becomes 1-2 daily in winter as it's MASSIVELY SEASONAL as it's overwhelmingly leisure and taking the kids to the House of Mouse.
But Hell, why not? Twice daily B744 MCO-LHR as it's the bestest most profitable route ever.If it was that good, do you not think VS/DL would be right in there?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos