• 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
 
klm617
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 am

toobz wrote:
Because that is their largest hub!!! *smacks face multiple times* you really need to get over DTW and accept that it is no ATL in the eyes of senior management.


I accept that but it's very relevant in the Delta system. Ed Bastian said so so every time something comes out it should also be considered as a possibility and discussed why it can work and stop posting about why it shouldn't be chosen.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
toobz
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:33 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes DTW is relevant absolutely. It performs very well for DL. But Bastian has already said JFK or ATL. I think that should be end of story.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:12 pm

toobz wrote:
Yes DTW is relevant absolutely. It performs very well for DL. But Bastian has already said JFK or ATL. I think that should be end of story.


Watch Ed Bastian's comments at LAX. He told ATL to work on it, ie., give enough incentives to win the route.

ATL incentive package has to

Beat JFK's package if any
Cover GA's bad deeds. $40 Million tax incentive loss when oil prices going up and constant power trips.
Cover 600 mi additional flying

Also, FAA rules prohibit airports from giving subsidies to airlines to start new routes, not sure if this will even qualify as new route.
ME3 will keep an eye on how much incentives Delta is getting.

So ATL has its work cut out.

After doing all this QR can make daily A380 and offer $500 RTs.
 
User avatar
binayak
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

So ATL has its work cut out.

After doing all this QR can make daily A380 and offer $500 RTs.

What if Delta starts from DTW and ME3 starts flying to DTW too? Wouldn't that cause greater damage by letting the ME3 access to another market? In each and every US India market there is a chance of ME3 competition.
9W must be declared as India's national airline. They will indirectly fulfill JRD's vision!!
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm

binayak wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

So ATL has its work cut out.

After doing all this QR can make daily A380 and offer $500 RTs.

What if Delta starts from DTW and ME3 starts flying to DTW too? Wouldn't that cause greater damage by letting the ME3 access to another market? In each and every US India market there is a chance of ME3 competition.


This discussion is not about DTW, it is about JFK vs ATL.

NYC-BOM PDEW 380, ATL-BOM PDEW 45, no contest.

ATL has very slim chance. JV vs Big League.
 
winginit
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm

klm617 wrote:
toobz wrote:
Because that is their largest hub!!! *smacks face multiple times* you really need to get over DTW and accept that it is no ATL in the eyes of senior management.


I accept that but it's very relevant in the Delta system. Ed Bastian said so so every time something comes out it should also be considered as a possibility and discussed why it can work and stop posting about why it shouldn't be chosen.


Whether it should or should not be chosen is now irrelevant. Ed has made clear that it won't be chosen, so it's not worth discussing in this thread. End of story.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
binayak wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

So ATL has its work cut out.

After doing all this QR can make daily A380 and offer $500 RTs.

What if Delta starts from DTW and ME3 starts flying to DTW too? Wouldn't that cause greater damage by letting the ME3 access to another market? In each and every US India market there is a chance of ME3 competition.


This discussion is not about DTW, it is about JFK vs ATL.

NYC-BOM PDEW 380, ATL-BOM PDEW 45, no contest.

ATL has very slim chance. JV vs Big League.


To summarize what people said earlier, ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition. JFK has more of a passenger base and is closer/“on the way” from more cities but also competitors. ATL and/or BOM might provide incentives for that service. I would say ATL’s chances are greater than slim, but it’s got an uphill climb. IMHO.
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:52 pm

flyfresno wrote:

To summarize what people said earlier, ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition. JFK has more of a passenger base and is closer/“on the way” from more cities but also competitors. ATL and/or BOM might provide incentives for that service. I would say ATL’s chances are greater than slim, but it’s got an uphill climb. IMHO.

Way more connections from where? The south and south-east? Can they not fly to JFK? Out of all the cities in the south and south-east, how may bigger cities do not have a flight to JFK? I say bigger because that's where most of the Indian population is settled.
Why will BOM provide incentives to decide where in the US the flight originates from?
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 pm

flyfresno wrote:
ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition.


Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image
 
Atlwarrior
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:42 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 pm

My goodness is it possibly anything else to talk about. I think we should wait for the announcement. I actually think it will be both cities with a split between Delta and JV metal.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
My goodness is it possibly anything else to talk about. I think we should wait for the announcement. I actually think it will be both cities with a split between Delta and JV metal.


I actually think it could be nothing. Nothing changed at all that would somehow make either route profitable. I think its possible DL will make a show of not doing anything and blame something else.

If they do start it, I don't see them doing both.
Next flight: IAH-IST-TXL-IST-IAH on TK in J
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition.


Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image


Issue is most Indian ex-pats are not going to BOM and the DL via ATL requires a double-connection. Business traffic will be more skewed toward NYC and terminating in BOM so to me JFK is more logical.

For example from the Miami area we have BA LH and QR from MIA and EK from FLL (and BA if you went to change airports in London which believe it or not isn't that big a hassle if properly planned) that provide one-stop service to at least five Indian cities. So I think DL to BOM will be more O&D business oriented than leisure and JFK might be a better call than ATL.
 
boilerla
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 am

Also why would anybody west of the Mississippi fly through ATL for a possible double connection when they can fly one of the many 1 stops on CX, AI or EK through HKG or another Pacific airport.

JFK makes more sense since connecting traffic to India is already likely involving a double connect for many passengers which will just eat into yields.
 
IPFreely
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:59 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
I actually think it could be nothing. Nothing changed at all that would somehow make either route profitable. I think its possible DL will make a show of not doing anything and blame something else.


Bingo - we have a winner.

DL made a big show of announcing a return to India to pretend their lobbying and PR campaign against the ME3 was a "win", even though it did nothing that affects their flying to India. Of course the announcement of India service lacked some "minor details" like the route, aircraft, start date, and schedule.

DL followed this up by announcing lower earnings are coming due to fuel price increases -- the only airline to do so.

In a few weeks or months when the hubub over India dies down, look for DL to announce their return to India is scrapped because of fuel prices.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 10602
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:17 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Nothing changed at all that would somehow make either route profitable.

You mean OTHER than factors like new fleet options, joint venture with a large Indian partner, far lower cost of fuel than the previous nonstop attempts, etc? :roll:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:52 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition.


Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image

If it was the way you wanted it most of the east coast would have to backtrack via DTW. IMO JFK is the most efficient option.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
klm617
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:01 am

lavalampluva wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition.


Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image

If it was the way you wanted it most of the east coast would have to backtrack via DTW. IMO JFK is the most efficient option.



3 Weekly out of Detroit and 4 weekly out of JFK and then they could use the A350 as it could seamlessly be routed in and out of India. Every city would have connections that don't require them to fly as much as 300 miles out of their way to India on which is a long trip already.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:13 am

lavalampluva wrote:
...
If it was the way you wanted it most of the east coast would have to backtrack via DTW.


Still waiting on someone to point at my posts asking for DTW-India service. You can take mods help if they were part of evidence cleanup.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:36 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition.


Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image


Draw a line between CVG and MCO (ILM-ish would be even better) and for every city west of that line, most people aren’t going to care if they are connecting in JFK or ATL to get to BOM (although they might care about having to take an inconveniently timed flight to/from JFK since many of those cities have way fewer flights to JFK than ATL, or if they must travel between JFK and LGA on one or both sides). Also, as has been pointed out, this service is going after high value business travel, and while the cities you list will contribute to loads, there are companies in the US that have offices in India or do business there that aren’t in one of those cities. Finally, I am not arguing that ATL will for sure win (read my post), only that it has a better than slim chance. I still think JFK is preferable. However, you can not argue with the fact that ATL has far more connections than JFK. CID, FWA, and SBN might only combine to contribute a few people per week to the new service, but there are so many cities like them that have ATL service and nothing to JFK. It all adds up...
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:33 pm

flyfresno wrote:
However, you can not argue with the fact that ATL has far more connections than JFK. CID, FWA, and SBN might only combine to contribute a few people per week to the new service, but there are so many cities like them that have ATL service and nothing to JFK. It all adds up...


That fact quickly becomes irrelevant when you apply filters like
1) Where are the Indian population centers
2) How many of those already served by SkyTeam thru their own European hubs.
3) Who else is serving those markets thru one-stops
4) Backtrack

The way I see XNA and TPA are likely candidates left out. That means this route's viability hinges on 45 true O&D passengers.

In a capacity controlled market like the US, carrying a transit passenger with two huge bags at a discount just to feed your discounted/competitive. Delta can make more money feeding others non-stop.

Both US and India are large countries with high fragmentation, there are 40 US cities with 10K or more Indian population probably from 15 Indian cities.

Indians don't like 2 stops. All US-India non-stops end up being two stops for most, even if 9W has 31 connections at BOM.

US feeders operate very old Barbie/Jungle jets, Indian side you get a relatively new A320/737.

Delta's problem is sparse coverage in India, one non-stop from one place is not going to attract passengers.

Image

Image

Image
 
klm617
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:49 pm

flyfresno wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
ATL has the advantages of way more connections and no non-stop competition.


Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image


Draw a line between CVG and MCO (ILM-ish would be even better) and for every city west of that line, most people aren’t going to care if they are connecting in JFK or ATL to get to BOM (although they might care about having to take an inconveniently timed flight to/from JFK since many of those cities have way fewer flights to JFK than ATL, or if they must travel between JFK and LGA on one or both sides). Also, as has been pointed out, this service is going after high value business travel, and while the cities you list will contribute to loads, there are companies in the US that have offices in India or do business there that aren’t in one of those cities. Finally, I am not arguing that ATL will for sure win (read my post), only that it has a better than slim chance. I still think JFK is preferable. However, you can not argue with the fact that ATL has far more connections than JFK. CID, FWA, and SBN might only combine to contribute a few people per week to the new service, but there are so many cities like them that have ATL service and nothing to JFK. It all adds up...



And that is why a DTW JFK combination with the A350 is way better than ATL-BOM. What JFK can't capture DTW can and with Delta's most fuel efficient aircraft. A ATL of JFK combination or either one of the two and you can't use the A350 because how do you rotate it in and out and Delta is not going to tie up two frames at either JFK or ATL just to operate this flight. They showed us that with the 744 every time there were flights operated outside of DTW with the 744 they never lasted very long because of the complexity of trying to work them back into the system and the amount of idle time those frames would have had.. But anyways this discussion is really mute because when it comes down to it Delta is going to shelf it's India plans claiming that the high cost of fuel no longer make a nonstop from the USA to India viable.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 14608
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:05 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Nothing changed at all that would somehow make either route profitable.

You mean OTHER than factors like new fleet options, joint venture with a large Indian partner, far lower cost of fuel than the previous nonstop attempts, etc? :roll:

And you forgot higher US yields. :)

I think DL will do well. It will just be a choice of from where that determines how well.
ATL: 7,395 nm
DTW: 6,908 nm
JFK: 6,777 nm (all great circle routes).
From the awesome www.gcmap.com:
Image

Judging US population density and O&D, I would bet on JFK. Everything on the Eastern seaboard is in line. DL could hub for Florida on up. Distances from Florida are less than DTW. In general, fewer hours:
Image

The added 620 nm to ATL reduces cargo uptake. :( DTW just adds too must distance for too much connecting traffic with less O&D and cargo.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5156
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:13 pm

klm617 wrote:

And that is why a DTW JFK combination with the A350 is way better than ATL-BOM. What JFK can't capture DTW can and with Delta's most fuel efficient aircraft. A ATL of JFK combination or either one of the two and you can't use the A350 because how do you rotate it in and out and Delta is not going to tie up two frames at either JFK or ATL just to operate this flight.

So not only do you struggle with basic understanding of aircraft utilization you also don't know much about what the A350 is flying eh?

Delta is already flying ATL and LAX flights on the 350. All it takes is a JFK-AMS rotation and there is the bridge. It's very simple


But as I have said before, unless Delta changes the A350/777 schedule they don't have the slack for a BOM flight on the 350 as is. The flight will be on an LR.
klm617 wrote:
They showed us that with the 744 every time there were flights operated outside of DTW with the 744 they never lasted very long because of the complexity of trying to work them back into the system and the amount of idle time those frames would have had..

Go ahead and back that one up with sources

klm617 wrote:
But anyways this discussion is really mute because when it comes down to it Delta is going to shelf it's India plans claiming that the high cost of fuel no longer make a nonstop from the USA to India viable.

Sure they will
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:45 pm

klm617 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Ok, these are MSAs over 10,000 Indian population (Arkansas 3,000). Who wants fly one (or) two stops thru ATL?

Image


Draw a line between CVG and MCO (ILM-ish would be even better) and for every city west of that line, most people aren’t going to care if they are connecting in JFK or ATL to get to BOM (although they might care about having to take an inconveniently timed flight to/from JFK since many of those cities have way fewer flights to JFK than ATL, or if they must travel between JFK and LGA on one or both sides). Also, as has been pointed out, this service is going after high value business travel, and while the cities you list will contribute to loads, there are companies in the US that have offices in India or do business there that aren’t in one of those cities. Finally, I am not arguing that ATL will for sure win (read my post), only that it has a better than slim chance. I still think JFK is preferable. However, you can not argue with the fact that ATL has far more connections than JFK. CID, FWA, and SBN might only combine to contribute a few people per week to the new service, but there are so many cities like them that have ATL service and nothing to JFK. It all adds up...



And that is why a DTW JFK combination with the A350 is way better than ATL-BOM. What JFK can't capture DTW can and with Delta's most fuel efficient aircraft. A ATL of JFK combination or either one of the two and you can't use the A350 because how do you rotate it in and out and Delta is not going to tie up two frames at either JFK or ATL just to operate this flight. They showed us that with the 744 every time there were flights operated outside of DTW with the 744 they never lasted very long because of the complexity of trying to work them back into the system and the amount of idle time those frames would have had.. But anyways this discussion is really mute because when it comes down to it Delta is going to shelf it's India plans claiming that the high cost of fuel no longer make a nonstop from the USA to India viable.

Sorry to disappoint you but I’m pretty confident that DTW isn’t even on the list as a choice. JFK is a natural due to location and population. ATL serves more routes as well as population of the US than DTW. Even MSP serves more cities and has more passengers connecting than DTW.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
klm617
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:48 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
klm617 wrote:

And that is why a DTW JFK combination with the A350 is way better than ATL-BOM. What JFK can't capture DTW can and with Delta's most fuel efficient aircraft. A ATL of JFK combination or either one of the two and you can't use the A350 because how do you rotate it in and out and Delta is not going to tie up two frames at either JFK or ATL just to operate this flight.

So not only do you struggle with basic understanding of aircraft utilization you also don't know much about what the A350 is flying eh?

Delta is already flying ATL and LAX flights on the 350. All it takes is a JFK-AMS rotation and there is the bridge. It's very simple


But as I have said before, unless Delta changes the A350/777 schedule they don't have the slack for a BOM flight on the 350 as is. The flight will be on an LR.
klm617 wrote:
They showed us that with the 744 every time there were flights operated outside of DTW with the 744 they never lasted very long because of the complexity of trying to work them back into the system and the amount of idle time those frames would have had..

Go ahead and back that one up with sources

klm617 wrote:
But anyways this discussion is really mute because when it comes down to it Delta is going to shelf it's India plans claiming that the high cost of fuel no longer make a nonstop from the USA to India viable.

Sure they will



Which A350 segment do they operate out of LAX ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
klm617
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:50 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Draw a line between CVG and MCO (ILM-ish would be even better) and for every city west of that line, most people aren’t going to care if they are connecting in JFK or ATL to get to BOM (although they might care about having to take an inconveniently timed flight to/from JFK since many of those cities have way fewer flights to JFK than ATL, or if they must travel between JFK and LGA on one or both sides). Also, as has been pointed out, this service is going after high value business travel, and while the cities you list will contribute to loads, there are companies in the US that have offices in India or do business there that aren’t in one of those cities. Finally, I am not arguing that ATL will for sure win (read my post), only that it has a better than slim chance. I still think JFK is preferable. However, you can not argue with the fact that ATL has far more connections than JFK. CID, FWA, and SBN might only combine to contribute a few people per week to the new service, but there are so many cities like them that have ATL service and nothing to JFK. It all adds up...



And that is why a DTW JFK combination with the A350 is way better than ATL-BOM. What JFK can't capture DTW can and with Delta's most fuel efficient aircraft. A ATL of JFK combination or either one of the two and you can't use the A350 because how do you rotate it in and out and Delta is not going to tie up two frames at either JFK or ATL just to operate this flight. They showed us that with the 744 every time there were flights operated outside of DTW with the 744 they never lasted very long because of the complexity of trying to work them back into the system and the amount of idle time those frames would have had.. But anyways this discussion is really mute because when it comes down to it Delta is going to shelf it's India plans claiming that the high cost of fuel no longer make a nonstop from the USA to India viable.

Sorry to disappoint you but I’m pretty confident that DTW isn’t even on the list as a choice. JFK is a natural due to location and population. ATL serves more routes as well as population of the US than DTW. Even MSP serves more cities and has more passengers connecting than DTW.



I'm not arguing that point I am just stating why I think DTW is a better choice than ATL. We all know the runing is between ATL and JFK but I am just stating why I think DTW should be considered.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:03 pm

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:


And that is why a DTW JFK combination with the A350 is way better than ATL-BOM. What JFK can't capture DTW can and with Delta's most fuel efficient aircraft. A ATL of JFK combination or either one of the two and you can't use the A350 because how do you rotate it in and out and Delta is not going to tie up two frames at either JFK or ATL just to operate this flight. They showed us that with the 744 every time there were flights operated outside of DTW with the 744 they never lasted very long because of the complexity of trying to work them back into the system and the amount of idle time those frames would have had.. But anyways this discussion is really mute because when it comes down to it Delta is going to shelf it's India plans claiming that the high cost of fuel no longer make a nonstop from the USA to India viable.

Sorry to disappoint you but I’m pretty confident that DTW isn’t even on the list as a choice. JFK is a natural due to location and population. ATL serves more routes as well as population of the US than DTW. Even MSP serves more cities and has more passengers connecting than DTW.



I'm not arguing that point I am just stating why I think DTW is a better choice than ATL. We all know the runing is between ATL and JFK but I am just stating why I think DTW should be considered.

Not to sound rude, but you think every route conceived should run through DTW. Every thread has you commenting that everything should be DTW-XXX. I know everyone has their favorite airport, but it’s the airlines making the choices and I’m pretty sure they don’t consult a.net before deciding.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
panamair
Posts: 3954
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:17 pm

klm617 wrote:

Which A350 segment do they operate out of LAX ?


LAX-PVG will start on the A350 this July
 
ADrum23
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 am

DTWLAX wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

BLR doesn’t have a flight to AMS, it has LHR, CDG and FRA on BA, AF and LH respectively.

I do wonder when/if we’ll see a direct BLR-USA flight.

Yes it does. Jet Airways flies BLR-AMS


I stand corrected. Thanks!
 
jordanh
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 am

klm617 wrote:
We all know the runing is between ATL and JFK but I am just stating why I think DTW should be considered.

If you already know only ATL and JFK are in the running, you would save face - and stop wasting time and space in this forum - by letting everyone else have a serious discussion, and saving your DTW obsession for the DTW topic.

You might even become less of a joke on here... might...
 
IPFreely
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am

klm617 wrote:
I'm not arguing that point I am just stating why I think DTW is a better choice than ATL. We all know the runing is between ATL and JFK but I am just stating why I think DTW should be considered.


As multiple posters have speculated -- including you and I -- this route will most likely never start and if it somehow actually does start, it will fail fairly quickly. So does it really matter if it's from JFK or ATL?
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 am

So, ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM have turned out to be DL's planned service to India, as per the USATODAY report in a quick sketchy mention (https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 739288002/), with no schedule details yet

A month earlier in May, DL didn't reveal which US cities would be its preferred options of departure for its big announcement of US-Mumbai service relaunch

Are you surprised by DL's chosen city-pair options for its US-India service?
Or any better recommendations you would like to make?
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2388
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:19 am

ATL is no surprise. They say that in order to get to heaven, you have to pass through ATL.

Jet Airways will play a huge role in Delta returning to India. You can't say enough about the connectting opportunties that will benefit travelers with a Delta Jet Airways partnership.

Finally, as for this agreement between the U.S. and the ME3, I think a lot is being kept quite as to what the ME3 can and CAN NOTdo. JFK is surprising. I would have guessed that DTW, being Delta's 2nd biggest people mover, would get the nod over JFK.

So, I understand the article to mean that its BOTH JFK and ATL? Wow, thats a lot of extra capacity!
 
Blerg
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 am

How long would the flight from ATL to BOM take?
 
EWRandMDW
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 am

jumbojet wrote:
ATL is no surprise. They say that in order to get to heaven, you have to pass through ATL.


Who is "they"? Obviously ATL isn't anyone's idea of heaven! :wink2:
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1329
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 am

Blerg wrote:
How long would the flight from ATL to BOM take?


Direct it would be around 16 and a half hours, so I'd expect 15-15:30 eastbound and close to 17 westbound, but that's just a random guess.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 4794
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am

They arent starting both are they? I think they are starting it from JFK or ATL to be determined
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 771
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:42 am

jfklganyc wrote:
They arent starting both are they? I think they are starting it from JFK or ATL to be determined

It may just be a ATL-JFK-BOM routing. I believe they did this at one point previously.
 
panamair
Posts: 3954
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:03 am

There is actually nothing new in that article - it's basically sloppy and inaccurate reporting:

".....After the agreement, Delta announced it would resume flights next year to India at Mumbai from Atlanta and New York’s JFK airport...."

As we all know, right after the agreement, Delta announced it would be going back to India/BOM but it never said whether it was JFK or ATL. And it doesnt look like Ed actually gave any update about this at this interview/event.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:28 am

Didn't DL fly JFK-BOM in the mid-2000's using the 777LR?
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2388
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:01 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
ATL is no surprise. They say that in order to get to heaven, you have to pass through ATL.


Who is "they"? Obviously ATL isn't anyone's idea of heaven! :wink2:


nice try but even I agree that ATL is in no way close to 'heaven'. I didnt even suggest that it was. The only airport to rank that high is terminal 2, ICN. Just passed through their today. That...is heaven.
 
bkflyguy
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

I believe the saying is: whether you're going to heaven or hell, you have to connect in Atlanta.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Not surprised by this. ATL-BOM....that's going to be a LONG flight! :old:
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
User avatar
binayak
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm

No I'm not at all surprised with the decision. Both flights can work. Well I don't think delta will run both simultaneously. As far as I can recall, in 2009 ,delta flew ATL BOM and JFK AMS BOM together. I remember sitting in a 9W plane with DL aircrafts on both sides at BOM.
I feel they must try one after another, first with JFK BOM and after three years ATL BOM also. India US is an ever growing market and with more non stops, the market will get stimulated. Delta has to keep up with the growth.
9W must be declared as India's national airline. They will indirectly fulfill JRD's vision!!
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm

jumbojet wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
ATL is no surprise. They say that in order to get to heaven, you have to pass through ATL.


Who is "they"? Obviously ATL isn't anyone's idea of heaven! :wink2:


nice try but even I agree that ATL is in no way close to 'heaven'. I didnt even suggest that it was. The only airport to rank that high is terminal 2, ICN. Just passed through their today. That...is heaven.


So for Skyteam and DL in particular, they have both heaven (ICN Terminal 2) and hell (ATL)? Where is purgatory? Where is limbo?
 
User avatar
binayak
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Blerg wrote:
How long would the flight from ATL to BOM take?

The last time DL flew this route it took 17 and a half hours .

lavalampluva wrote:
Not surprised by this. ATL-BOM....that's going to be a LONG flight! :old:

Well now you have much longer ones also. Any idea in 2009 what was the ranking of this route among the world's longest flights.
9W must be declared as India's national airline. They will indirectly fulfill JRD's vision!!
 
sand26391
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:47 am

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:35 pm

2 routes back to back won't work out.
JFK-BOM should work out IMO, IF 9W times the domestic flights from BLR/HYD/MAA in such a way that they reach BOM atleast 90 mins b4 DL departure to JFK or ATL.
Good Luck to DL though :-)
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: ATL-BOM, JFK-BOM revealed to be DL's chosen routes of US-India service

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Let me summarize.

GA shortchanged DL to the extent of $40 Million
The guy who led the effort to stop $40 Million to DL may become GA Governor.
State of Georgia is also planning to take over ATL from City of Atlanta
 
User avatar
binayak
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Another thread is going on this topic. So let's discuss the rest there
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1397733&p=20518183#p20518183
9W must be declared as India's national airline. They will indirectly fulfill JRD's vision!!
 
User avatar
janders
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 pm

"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos