Zoedyn
Topic Author

Air China will resume regular flights to Pyongyang, citing market demand

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-chin ... and-2018-6
Per the latest report in the link above, "State carrier Air China will resume regular flights between Beijing and Pyongyang on Wednesday, a company official said, with the resumption occurring at a time of improving relations between China and North Korea."

The airline now allows travelers to book tickets for the CA121 route of PEK-FNJ flying on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons, its website showed.

Chinese sources show the schedule for the flights operated by B737 as follows:
CA121 PEK 13:25 FNJ 16:20
CA122 FNJ 17:20 PEK 18:15

Really good news. This would surely give a major boost to DPRK tourism

Kashmon

Re: Air China will resume regular flights to Pyongyang, citing market demand

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:55 am

lol market demand....

do people here actually believe Air China is not a mere prop of the Chinese government?!

Philippine747

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:34 am

Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

do people here actually believe Air China is not a mere prop of the Chinese government?!

China is NK's largest trading partner, and the flights probably serve traders and diplomats.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT72 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK

Blerg

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

China is NK's largest trading partner, and the flights probably serve traders and diplomats.

Plus foreign visitors who are heading to North Korea. I think all international tours start in Beijing.

c933103

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

At least it seems like there are enough demand for them to run the route 3x weekly which iirc is even more than what they had before suspension

cedarjet

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

Three 737s a week isn't exactly the Eastern Shuttle. Anyway have you been to NK? The Air Koryo flights are full every day. Or maybe you think they're all "actors"...?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

conaly

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 pm

cedarjet wrote:
The Air Koryo flights are full every day.

Absolutely. On both flights I had last year the flights were nearly fully booked. A lot of Chinese people, many Korean people and a good number of western people (probably mostly tourists like me). So I believe a few more flights, especially with direct access to Air China/Star Alliance network will benefit NK and Air China.

Philippine747

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Blerg wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

Plus foreign visitors who are heading to North Korea. I think all international tours start in Beijing.

Don't they take Air Koryo on the official tours?
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT72 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK

c933103

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am

conaly wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
The Air Koryo flights are full every day.

Absolutely. On both flights I had last year the flights were nearly fully booked. A lot of Chinese people, many Korean people and a good number of western people (probably mostly tourists like me). So I believe a few more flights, especially with direct access to Air China/Star Alliance network will benefit NK and Air China.

Who's going to book a flight to DPRK directly instead of doing it via tour group?

OlafW

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 am

Philippine747 wrote:
Don't they take Air Koryo on the official tours?

Depends on the travel agency. When I went there, my tour was planned to be on the Air China flight of that time, but I was able to choose Air Koryo as the departure times were quite similar. It would also haven been possible to do a flight on one airline each.

Jayafe

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am

Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

Plenty of people, and commercial exchange. I understand that sitting the other side of the world wont allow you to know or understand some market regions, but at least not making statements with zero knowledge or before being educated would be appreciated.

Lootess

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:38 am

Jayafe wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

Plenty of people, and commercial exchange. I understand that sitting the other side of the world wont allow you to know or understand some market regions, but at least not making statements with zero knowledge or before being educated would be appreciated.

Not surprising, those who have never visited this part of the world always come up with their own theories while being ignorant to local economic facts. Both North and South Korea get a lot of Chinese tourists.

Might even get a little more uptick once the US State department lifts the travel ban to North Korea, Americans were just a few thousand visiting every year until the ban.

mham001

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 am

Curious if Air China will become a future sanction target over that flight if things don't work out with rapprochement.

32andBelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 am

Market demand is gonna book with 5 days notice? Lmfao.

Blerg

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 am

Lootess wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
lol market demand....

Not surprising, those who have never visited this part of the world always come up with their own theories while being ignorant to local economic facts. Both North and South Korea get a lot of Chinese tourists.

Might even get a little more uptick once the US State department lifts the travel ban to North Korea, Americans were just a few thousand visiting every year until the ban.

This is so true especially as far as South Korea goes. I knew there were a lot of Chinese tourists but I didn't know there were that many. I remember when we landed at ICN there were at least six Chinese widebody aircraft. Unbelievable.

32andBelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:12 am

Blerg wrote:
Lootess wrote:
Jayafe wrote:

This is so true especially as far as South Korea goes. I knew there were a lot of Chinese tourists but I didn't know there were that many. I remember when we landed at ICN there were at least six Chinese widebody aircraft. Unbelievable.

Like a billion ppl live in China.

Blerg

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 am

32andBelow wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Like a billion ppl live in China.

Like so what? Look at India. Every year around 5.4 million of them travel abroad for holidays while 6.5 million Chinese went abroad just for their new year. So it's not just about the number of people that live in a certain country.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos