BenflysDTW
Topic Author

Delta to cut Seattle-Hong Kong, announces Seattle-Osaka

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Source:

https://news.delta.com/delta-add-seattl ... n-air-2019

Service begins with no official date in 2019 on board a 767-300ER.

Hong Kong will be cut and will be served by KE at ICN hub instead.

910A

Re: Delta to cut Seattle-Hong Kong, announces Seattle-Osaka

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Didn't DL attempt KIX before from SEA and dropped it? "Key business destination?"

Polot

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Wow so DL is completely giving up on nonstop HKG-US?

ATLFlyer323

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:33 pm

I hope they can make SEA - KIX work this time. I flew it years ago before they discontinued it. What makes them think this time will be any different? They have a more established hub with more feed?
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

enilria

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:34 pm

BenflysDTW wrote:
Source:

https://news.delta.com/delta-add-seattl ... n-air-2019

Service begins with no official date in 2019 on board a 767-300ER.

Hong Kong will be cut and will be served by KE at ICN hub instead.

I agree on the HKG move as it has been pretty bad from published data and ICN makes it superfluous. OTOH, KIX will be a struggle. They have had problems making KIX work from more than one gateway. With DL downsizing in Japan (Tokyo) and no Japanese partner to lean on for point of sale help, I don't see KIX being much better beyond the benefit of being shorter.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:38 pm

KIX seems like it should work. Delta now offers so many connections at SEA.

MSPNWA

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Had a chuckle about how they talk about being Seattle's "global" airline, and now that "global" airline won't be flying to HKG. Crazy to think DL metal won't be in HKG.

A return to the previous failure in KIX seems like a move to quell the backlash from losing HKG to the JV. Reminds me of MSP-FCO a couple years ago. I don't expect that to last long, if it starts at all that is.

SumChristianus

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Evil subsidized CX's fault... :lol:

I would say I'm surprised but after having given up so many other Asian destinations, HKG with its pitiful 2x a week schedule a few years back and crazy fare sales, is probably a waste of a plane. Guess thats the plane (777) that will now operate MSP-ICN?

Still though, not serving HKG? They need to make it work somehow, the KE joint venture isn't yet as seamless as the AF/KLM one. Comes back by 2025?
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-SFO-IND UA A320/B739
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

enilria

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:48 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Evil subsidized CX's fault... :lol:

I believe B6 said that ATI JV's were the biggest threat to competition and this route is expressly going away because of DL-KE.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:48 pm

The DL-KE joint venture means I reckon we will continue to see pull downs of many US-Asia nonstops in favor of routing via ICN.

LAXintl

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Wow, Hong Kong one of the worlds top alpha cities and market that has strong links (business, trade, ethnic, tourism) to the U.S. won't flown by Delta.

We always knew DL was weak in HKG compared to UA for example, but to vacate market entirely simply for code-shares is rather huge move. Must really be been a terrible performer.

As far as KIX. Suppose good luck. Its a challenging market in which even UA with SFO hub and Japan JV partner cant make work daily year-round and deploys small 788 equipment on.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SCQ83

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Which are KIX's destinations in the US now? Los Angeles (JAL), San Francisco (UA) and Seattle (DL)?

tphuang

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I don’t see how Osaka is going to work given that it’s another place with no skyteam presence. Outside of Korea, Asia is always going to be an uphill struggle for delta.

UPlog

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 pm

While I live in the cargo world but pass through Hong Kong regularly, I am shocked Delta is dropping the market.

While I can see benefits of JVs, not being linked to such a major global city (even if loss making) is rather surprising for Delta and its global positioning.

While route is 777 now, I well recall seeing A330s all the time on ground there. Is the 777 a new summer thing?

p.s. - how much longer till the remaining few tag flights (SIN+MNL?) are gone also in favor of KE?

FromCDGtoSYD

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:15 pm

UPlog wrote:
p.s. - how much longer till the remaining few tag flights (SIN+MNL?) are gone also in favor of KE?

My dream would be to see at least the SIN tag flight moved to ICN and continue flying it themselves and finally add a daytime option between the two cities from ICN.

Sightseer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm

I was not expecting either of these moves. HKG is a market that I feel DL needs to be in. Even with the JV it won't really be any different from the days of HKG-NRT, except now there are far more nonstops. Alas, I can't help but wonder if a 788 would ve made the route (more) viable.

Maxvokia

Growing up in HK with family in MN, I frequently traveled on NW between the two. Never thought to see the day where DL/NW would drop service to HKG completely... I'm kinda at a loss for words.

MARSHAL1

So with all of the route alignment going on with the US3 will we see DL completely pull out of SIN & MNL completely and give up MSP-HND? I also wonder if CX will enter the SEA-HKG market and JL finally fly SEA-NRT.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:24 pm

910A wrote:
Didn't DL attempt KIX before from SEA and dropped it? "Key business destination?"

Indeed they did from 2010-2016.

SCQ83 wrote:
Which are KIX's destinations in the US now? Los Angeles (JAL), San Francisco (UA) and Seattle (DL)?

You forgot HNL on DL, JL, and HA along with 5th freedom LCC on D7 (from KUL) and TR (from SIN).

As for SEA-HKG - I don't think it has ever been that strong of a route anyway. CX, of course, dominates ex-HKG, while UA were able to make HKG work since SFO, EWR, and to lesser extent, ORD all have strong O&D to/from HKG. DL, meanwhile, doesn't have any feed what-so-ever at HKG, and its feed at SEA is just not all that great, either. Back to NW's day of connecting in an East Asian hub, I guessed, except the hub moved from NRT (on NW metal) to ICN (on mixed KE/DL metal).

It's a win for KIX (Although I would say a London flight would still be their #1 priority, follow by NYC), and I do wish DL's second try at it is more successful.

EDIT:
MARSHAL1 wrote:
So with all of the route alignment going on with the US3 will we see DL completely pull out of SIN & MNL completely and give up MSP-HND? I also wonder if CX will enter the SEA-HKG market and JL finally fly SEA-NRT.

JL is launching SEA-NRT (Well, SEA-HND once new HND slots opens up for the 2020 Olympics):
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... liner.html

flybry wrote:
Eek! That stinks Delta is leaving Hong Kong. Do you think United will pull out of Osaka once Delta starts its flights?

Why would UA pull out of the market? UA will adjust frequency here and there (they reduced SFO-KIX to 5w IIRC for awhile before going back to daily), but that's about it.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybry

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Eek! That stinks Delta is leaving Hong Kong. Do you think United will pull out of Osaka once Delta starts its flights?

FSDan

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 pm

This explains where the aircraft for MSP-HND is coming from - cutting SEA-HKG will free up two 777-200ER frames.

I agree it seems crazy that DL won't fly to HKG at all... However, the market they really need to be in is JFK-HKG rather than SEA-HKG or DTW-HKG. It would be a stiff uphill battle with competition from CX, but with a competitive network offering from NYC and plenty of corporate contracts, maybe they could find a way to make it work.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

wedgetail737

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:29 pm

When DL leaves, I can see either CX or Hong Kong Airlines (the Hainan brand) make an announcement to serve SEA-HKG with A350 equipment. Hong Kong Airlines could use A330 equipment.

chunhimlai

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm

When i was working as ground agent in HKG , i have to check and print out the passenger list of AC and DL to see which persons baggage does not come

While DL39 has usually has less 150 pax onboard in off-peak season; AC7 usually has 300+ pax, and sometimes it is fully booked

Sightseer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm

FSDan wrote:
This explains where the aircraft for MSP-ICN is coming from - cutting SEA-HKG will free up two 777-200ER frames.

Fixed that for you ;)

FSDan wrote:
I agree it seems crazy that DL won't fly to HKG at all... However, the market they really need to be in is JFK-HKG rather than SEA-HKG or DTW-HKG. It would be a stiff uphill battle with competition from CX, but with a competitive network offering from NYC and plenty of corporate contracts, maybe they could find a way to make it work.

Agreed. With so many nonstops US-HKG, the best bet (to me) would be a route with sizeable O&D, which of course JFK would have in spades. Its the same story for USA-India and the new BOM route.

wedgetail737 wrote:
When DL leaves, I can see either CX or Hong Kong Airlines (the Hainan brand) make an announcement to serve SEA-HKG with A350 equipment. Hong Kong Airlines could use A330 equipment.

Wouldn't surprise me. Though your mention of HX makes me wonder again why DL hasnt (publicly) tried to partner with them.

FSDan

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Sightseer wrote:
FSDan wrote:
This explains where the aircraft for MSP-ICN is coming from - cutting SEA-HKG will free up two 777-200ER frames.

Fixed that for you ;)

Good catch! :)
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

wedgetail737

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Sightseer wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Fixed that for you ;)

FSDan wrote:

Agreed. With so many nonstops US-HKG, the best bet (to me) would be a route with sizeable O&D, which of course JFK would have in spades. Its the same story for USA-India and the new BOM route.

wedgetail737 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. Though your mention of HX makes me wonder again why DL hasnt (publicly) tried to partner with them.

I was thinking HX could partner with AS, being a part of the HU brand. But CX already partners with AS...so that won't happen anytime soon.

janders

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Delta dropping major global market like HKG is indeed certainly a shock.

Adding KIX back seems marginal at best looking at timid the longhaul market capacity has been out of Osaka.

I suppose the future of DL in Asia will very much be built around the KE JV and to a lesser extent the MU stake.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:52 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
910A wrote:

Indeed they did from 2010-2016.

It's actually been done twice. NW did it with a DC-10 awhile ago too. I forget the exact dates. Then DL brought it back with a 767-300ER as you indicate.

Should be time for CX to start SEA then.

My girlfriend's company has an office in HKG. She said DL's business class on the HKG flight was much more expensive than CX through YVR so most people take CX. Now it's a moot point.

MIflyer12

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Had a chuckle about how they talk about being Seattle's "global" airline, and now that "global" airline won't be flying to HKG. Crazy to think DL metal won't be in HKG.

Is a flight to HKG what makes a carrier global or not?

rwsea

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm

flybry wrote:

This will be the third time that DL/NW flies SEA-KIX. Let's see if it sticks this time. The flights have historically had great loads but low yields... and KIX is an expensive airport to operate from.

UA is much more established at KIX and SFO is an exponentially larger destination than SEA. They'll be fine.

USAirALB

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 pm

That explains why when I was looking for SEA-HKG flights an hour ago the flights were there one second, and then gone one second after. They must have been doing horrible...I just saw a nonstop for only $338 next Winter.

SEA has very small ties to HKG when compared to YVR and SFO. IMO, I doubt that CX will be adding SEA anytime soon. Maybe HX. Still pretty shocking that DL couldn't make HKG quite work. What are the chances that the DTW-HKG nonstop comes back in the future? I personally feel that the HKG market is too big to ignore without a US nonstop flight, especially now that to access HKG on DL without a city that has ICN service requires a double connection.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

flyguy84

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 pm

flybry wrote:

No? Why would you even assume this to be the case. Delta has flown SEA-KIX before and discontinued it. It had no effect on United.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm

The opportunity cost for SEA-KIX is much less than SEA-HKG.

Due to the increased stage length SEA-HKGvrequired 2 A332 or 777 aircraft to operate. SEA-KIX can be flown with a 1 76W. That alone cuts the cost of the route alone by over 50%. I'd be interested to see how much a difference there is in the revenue side of profitability equation.

That frees-up 2 777s that can be deployed on MSP-ICN or the "Mumbai - US wherever" route in 2019. DL has no shortage of 76W aircraft to deploy in the short-term as well.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:06 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Should be time for CX to start SEA then.

Maybe. CX and AS do have codesharing partnership, so it does make some sense. Would also fit into CX's recent route expansion into more "secondary" market (i.e. BRU/CPH/DUB along with IAD) to increase its global reach and explore new markets, with existing markets getting more cutthroat in terms of yield lately.

BoeingGuy wrote:
My girlfriend's company has an office in HKG. She said DL's business class on the HKG flight was much more expensive than CX through YVR so most people take CX. Now it's a moot point.

I'm actually a little bit surprised about this. DL's economy fare on SEA-HKG has always been fairly low (USD400-500 RT are the norm), and it almost seems like it's always on sale, also (at least ex-HKG).

hiflyeras

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:10 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

I'm sure that CX's partner AS is suggesting that very thing ;)

Flighty

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Delta does so well because the follow money, first prestige second; not prestige first, money second.

Dieuwer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Alaska Airlines must be celebrating. ;)

NZ321

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

I think frankly this is a random decision for a carrier non Oneworld and non Star.

I fully understand why HKG didn't work. DL have little or no presence in HKG. But why not SEA-CAN? Why not go the the tiger's cave when CZ is the tiger? Surely CAN is going to do better than KIX from SEA. After all, people wanting to travel to KIX can easily get a direct train from HND. I am quite lost on the rationale for this one. Somebody please explain it to me. Please?
Plane mad!

NZ321

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm

And HX on HKG-SEA would be an interesting consideration if they have a feed arrangement with AS. Now we're warming up.
Plane mad!

Lootess

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:16 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Delta's HNL-KIX

Apparently everyone forgets that state.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

NZ321 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

I think frankly this is a random decision for a carrier non Oneworld and non Star.

I fully understand why HKG didn't work. DL have little or no presence in HKG. But why not SEA-CAN? Why not go the the tiger's cave when CZ is the tiger? Surely CAN is going to do better than KIX from SEA. After all, people wanting to travel to KIX can easily get a direct train from HND. I am quite lost on the rationale for this one. Somebody please explain it to me. Please?

Are there even air authority to/from CAN left (more like "Tier 1 airport" i.e. PEK, PVG, and CAN) for US carriers? I believe that CAN-specific rights is still hold by UA right now? (For the indefinitely delayed SFO-CAN)

HeeseokKoo

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Lootess wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Delta's HNL-KIX

Apparently everyone forgets that state.

+ UA GUM-KIX.

SFOA380

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 pm

I think most airlines recognize the need to serve certain destinations for certain reasons whether they are profitable or not. I doubt every route in the DL system turns a profit. It is difficult to understand that a major airline that wants to have a major presence in Asia would not serve HK... obviously lots to do to make SEA a true Pacific hub.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Another DL JV to an international destination? Oh the DL pilots are going to be livid over this. Their biggest complaint over the past couple of years is how their flying is decreased and foreign carriers get the routes they feel are theirs. Management not winning any friends over their; but then the NW guys always had an adversarial relationship with their employees.

N717TW

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 pm

janders wrote:
Delta dropping major global market like HKG is indeed certainly a shock.

I agree. It strikes me as a City you sorta "have" to serve (along with LON, CDG, FRA, TYO, SYD, GRU etc) if you want to be able to sell yourself to clients as an intentional carrier. Based on the decision I am guessing the corporate contracts that DL has either don't require it or allow it to be served on on a code-share basis.

Now let's be honest about the impact. To be fair, from most of DL's top metro markets (with the exception of SAN, MIA, PHL, and BOS...with BOS as the biggest) this actually improves the experience...nonstop on an international flight with int'l service to ICN then KE to HKG.

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
UPlog wrote:

My dream would be to see at least the SIN tag flight moved to ICN and continue flying it themselves and finally add a daytime option between the two cities from ICN.

Korea used to have a very restrictive rule on 5th-freedom flights. I'm not sure if that changed with the open-skies agreement or not (some open-skies allow for wide ranging 5th freedom and some don't). I have no idea...maybe someone on this board knows. Otherwise it is starting to look like DL is going to be dropping most of its cities in Asia and replacing them with connections through ICN.

lavalampluva

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Seems like DL will be using ICN the way they did NRT, but will be using KE as a connections partner.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

klakzky123

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 pm

SFOA380 wrote:
I think most airlines recognize the need to serve certain destinations for certain reasons whether they are profitable or not. I doubt every route in the DL system turns a profit. It is difficult to understand that a major airline that wants to have a major presence in Asia would not serve HK... obviously lots to do to make SEA a true Pacific hub.

I dont think this means that they'll stop serving HKE forever. I think its just an acknowledgement that the flight didn't work from Seattle (at least not right now). Until now, DL didn't have a choice. No JV partner in Asia meant you either flew the route from SEA at a loss or have zero service to HKG. At least now passengers can connect via ICN. And maybe down the road, DL will figure out a way to get to HKG on DL metal. But the JV affords DL the opportunity to dump a flight like SEA-HKG with ICN as a fallback while it retools.

c933103

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Are there even air authority to/from CAN left (more like "Tier 1 airport" i.e. PEK, PVG, and CAN) for US carriers? I believe that CAN-specific rights is still hold by UA right now? (For the indefinitely delayed SFO-CAN)

There should be after AA dropped ORD-PEK

raylee67

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:48 pm

It's sad but not surprising. DL has been struggling for the HKG route. Ticket price is consistently low. They have tried cutting frequency seasonally and they have tried switching to smaller planes (767) or more efficient types. SEA is simply not a strong-enough hub, compare to SFO and LAX, and especially now most people going to interior US or East Coast can bypass the West Coast hubs.

If SEA does not work for HKG, it would not work for most of the Asian destinations. if the SEA hub is restricted to just Japan and Korea, and may be PVG and PEK, does it really make sense? If DL is really going all-in with the JV with Korean, it doesn't really need a West Coast Trans-Pac hub, since the KE flights are going to be metal-neutral. ICN is going to be the new NRT for Delta, and that's all DL needs. Would DL eventually scale down SEA as a hub, because of the development with KE?

Also, this seems to be the perfect moment for CX to jump onto the bandwagon and open HKG-SEA. It can provide connection on both ends and it has the flexibility to use either A359 or A333 on the route. I think it has just strengthened its tie with Alaska and added more AS's flights with CX's code.
319 320 321 332 333 342 343 345 388 707 717 732 736 73G 738 739 74R 742 743 744 74E 748 757 762 763 772 77E 77L 773 77W D10 M80 135 140 145 175 190 DH1 DH4 CRJ CR7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

910A

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:56 pm

raylee67 wrote:
It's sad but not surprising. DL has been struggling for the HKG route. Ticket price is consistently low. They have tried cutting frequency seasonally and they have tried switching to smaller planes (767) or more efficient types.

DL operated 332 and 772 from SEA to HKG. I don't think the 763 could do the SEA-HKG route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos