AirT85
Topic Author

American And Reno? To Be Or Not To Be?

Wed Aug 25, 1999 7:42 am

In the past few months i have read that American Airlines had bought and planned to merge with Reno Air. Yet the pilots have not allowed this yet. Is this merger going to happen or has it fallen through? Also does American plan to keep Reno Airs network and aircraft or move everything to Dallas and Chicago?
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

dfw-man

RE: American And Reno? To Be Or Not To Be?

Wed Aug 25, 1999 8:13 am

the idea is for american to enter the west coast market for a second time with more flights from the hub cities dfw,ord,and mia.mia should get nonstop vegas,san diego,portland,and san jose.dfw and ord will likely increase service to these cities as well i am really not sure if american has a firm grip on what it really plans to do.all of what i am saying is speculation

Wed Aug 25, 1999 10:27 am

For the time being, American is still planning on integrating Reno on August 31. The APA, however, intends to go to court to prevent the integration from taking place... we'll see what happens, but the goal is for American to build a west coast presence.

Wed Aug 25, 1999 12:03 pm

the merger is going on, with or with out the pilots on aug31. AA has stated that it will keep the former QQ cities and routes as is for about a year and then make a decision on which ones will stay or close...some are strong routes some are not, cities they will look at ones like OKC and COS...but rumors have it that they may add more service from LAX,SFO to midwestern cities to feed the oneworld carries to the pacific.......as for the QQ planes they will be replaced as their leases expire with 737-823 equipment I dont have a replacement timetable, but if i find one i will post it here...I think the will try and keep the QQ planes on the west coast as much as possible, they may go to DFW, ORD , but their MD-80s may stay a long time.....the MD-90 and MD-87 may go first since they are the odd balls in the fleet