User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:56 am

It seems that TG is close to placing an order for 23 aircraft to replace some of the older aircraft in the fleet (read: 747s) subject to cabinet approval. I've seen differing reports claiming that the 23 aircraft are all widebodies, but Reuters says that it's 13 widebodies and 10 narrowbodies for Thai Smile.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/thai-airw ... KL4N1U72LM

So what do we think then? Given TG's propensity for complicated fleets I will be disappointed if this order doesn't comprise 737s 787s, 777Xs, A320neos, A330neos and A350s. Realistically I think it will be a few 789s and a few A359s and A35Ks, both types are established so no harm in picking both.
 
junlinwong94
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am

As usual politics are involved in this order. *sighs*
Hence the half Airbus and hald Boeing order.

Personally the I would think they would order 10/11 A350s with a combination of 13/12 Boeing 787s(-8/-9) since the A350s are more expensive than the 787s.
A330neo? Guessing a 15% chance of them ordering since they already have a bunch of new A350s and 787s
 
junlinwong94
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 am

MrHMSH wrote:
I've seen differing reports claiming that the 23 aircraft are all widebodies, but Reuters says that it's 13 widebodies and 10 narrowbodies for Thai Smile. .


Thought so too
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 am

:lol: Given the Thai fleet craziness I expect a 77X order
 
Someone83
Posts: 3960
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 am

As it is Thai we're talking about....a split order is highly likely ;)
 
na
Posts: 9591
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:27 am

The 777-200 fleet is on the way out with two already with the scrappers. The next oldest subfleets are the 747-400s and 777-300s. The latter are being used on regional routes, so will have high cycles and therefore maybe the next to be axed.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2074
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 am

Indeed -like some are pointing out here- TG's fleet is perhaps 'complicated' and very mixed; but for an airline buff this should be a good thing, no? I guess most of you are bean counters then and not enthusiasts at the end of the day...?
I personally love flying TG, not only because of their excellent service and lovely colourful interiors (makes such a dramatic and welcome change from the usual institutional and boring grey and blue!), but also because of their very diverse fleet.
...keeping fingers crossed for a split order of multiple variants, with multiple cabin configurations and engine choice! :rotfl:
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 am

It's TG, so split order is almost a certainty.

To go nuts, I am guessing 4 777x, 2 more 789, 5 A339neo, and 2 A35K.

NB should be 10x A320neo for Thai Smile. They can certainly go A321XLR, though.

Actually, 10x A223 would be nice :white:
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1493
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:37 am

na wrote:
The 777-200 fleet is on the way out with two already with the scrappers. The next oldest subfleets are the 747-400s and 777-300s. The latter are being used on regional routes, so will have high cycles and therefore maybe the next to be axed.

Not sure if TG will be receiving aircraft from lessors the next few years, but if the 772/773 and 744 fleet is to be retired, they need more than 13 widebody aircraft.
As a 772/773 replacement you'd expect a 787-9/10 order, As 744 replacement the A35K would be most logical. But I don't totally rule out the 777-9 either, although this would be a surprise.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W, AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70
 
fessor
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I hope for the following: 2 A380, 5 A350-1000 and as its TG 4 A359ULR and then 2 B789
for narrowbody it should be A321NEO
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey guys,
I've always expected Thai to eventually order 777Xs, but maybe not just yet.
I agree that more A350s and 787s are likely, with an outside chance of a couple of A380s or even A330neos. Thai has been one of the longest users of Airbus wide-bodied two jets on short haul routes, and I can see that continuing with A330neos replacing A330ceos which in turn replaced A300s (plus a couple of A310s).
As for the narrow-body order, I would expect it to be additional A32Xneos and/or A22Xs. Highly unlikely to be MAXs or E2s. I have never heard Thai mentioned as a potential CSeries customer before now, but having travelled around Thailand on Thai domestic flights, I can imagine how the A220 just might be useful for the airline domestically and regionally.
I guess the order might be a Farnborough announcement?
Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
NZ321
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

No more A380 is my pick. Don't get me wrong, I think the A380 has found its niche at TG but I don't think they are hunting for additional units. So a further order would be for replacement but not just yet.

As to the actual order who knows? More 789? Indeed, why did they order the 789? They only have 2 at present which they have seen in recent months is an odd ball fleet that then causes issues on utilization when an aircraft is out of ops (they have been burnt by the Trent debacle). So, perhaps it's likely to be 77X to replace 77W which would then be placed on regional routes (mind you a hell of a lot of airplane for short haul flying) or 35K (same as above), or perhaps most likely a large 330 Neo order.
Plane mad!
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Pepper456 wrote:
I hope A350 and B788/9/10.
When the aircraft arrives they could do LIS-BKK


Who are you targetting to fly LIS-BKK? O&D plus brazilians are enough to fill several widebodies a week?
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722,717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87,M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm

The part of the fleet which will be unchanged consists of (and the Business Class seats)
15 A330-300 (of which the first one has just been refitted with an excellent new onboard product, rivalling most airlines long haul offering!) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29953079-post16.html
(new with Thompson Vantage seats)
12 A350-900 (Stelia Solstys seats)
6 A380-800 (Stelia Solstys seats)
14 777-300ER (Stelia Solstys seats)
6 787-8 (BE Aerospace / Rockwell Collins Parallel Diamond)
2 787-9 (Zodiac Cirrus seats)

To be replaced soon:
8 747-400
6 777-200
6 777-300

To be replaced in the coming years (?)
6 777-200ER Thai promised 2016 they would be refitted 2017, and 2017 they said that would happen 2018. I'm not sure it will happen at all.

________

And now that: My armchair CEO view on that topic.
- first 13 widebodies won't be enough to replace these fleets completely.
- 787-10 would be ideal to replace the 777-300 on those short routes.
- 350-1000 to replace the 747. Could use them to upgrade 359 routes and use 2 daily 359 to replace a 744. (for example to Munich, always crowded, that route)
- I would use the 777-200ER on regional routes without any refit for the upcoming years and therefore replace them on international routes with 359

It should be something like 8 781, 10 35K and 5 359, if it is only 13 widebodies it could be 5 359 and 8 35K.

But as we are talking about Thai.... It will be anything but that.
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, M11,M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)

http://www.facebook.com/flyMaxiAir
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 pm

MaxiAir wrote:
The part of the fleet which will be unchanged consists of (and the Business Class seats)
15 A330-300 (of which the first one has just been refitted with an excellent new onboard product, rivalling most airlines long haul offering!) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29953079-post16.html
(new with Thompson Vantage seats)

Can someone tell me the registration of this aircraft?
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
MaxiAir wrote:
The part of the fleet which will be unchanged consists of (and the Business Class seats)
15 A330-300 (of which the first one has just been refitted with an excellent new onboard product, rivalling most airlines long haul offering!) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29953079-post16.html
(new with Thompson Vantage seats)

Can someone tell me the registration of this aircraft?


HS-TEN


Edit: HS-TEO is already in for the refit.
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, M11,M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)

http://www.facebook.com/flyMaxiAir
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 4957
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Hard not to feel that RR will come out of this well. Thai are one of only two airlines in the world to order and operate every version of the Trent - 500, 700, 800, 900, 1000, XWB.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 4957
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 pm

PM wrote:
Hard not to feel that RR will come out of this well. Thai are one of only two airlines in the world to order and operate every version of the Trent - 500, 700, 800, 900, 1000, XWB.

Oh all right, all right. Forgot about the 7000!
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Good to see them growing and competing against the huge competition and subsequent low yields they face at BKK.
 
sabby
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:22 pm

My guess is A35K/A359 for the 747/77E replacements and the 787-10 for the vanilla 772/773 replacements in regional.
 
Pepper456
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:17 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:
I hope A350 and B788/9/10.
When the aircraft arrives they could do LIS-BKK


Who are you targetting to fly LIS-BKK? O&D plus brazilians are enough to fill several widebodies a week?

JD flies LIS-PEK and has codeshare with TP to take brasilians to Asia directly from LIS.
TP and TG are members of Star Alliance, so brazilians plus portuguese people can make this route a sucess.
TP does Brazil-LIS and TG takes them to BKK.
For start, a 3x week...
They already fly to MAD and BCN so the next step is that
 
Pepper456
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Pepper456 wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:
I hope A350 and B788/9/10.
When the aircraft arrives they could do LIS-BKK


Who are you targetting to fly LIS-BKK? O&D plus brazilians are enough to fill several widebodies a week?

JD flies LIS-PEK and has codeshare with TP to take brasilians to Asia directly from LIS.
TP and TG are members of Star Alliance, so brazilians plus portuguese people can make this route a sucess.
TP does Brazil-LIS and TG takes them to BKK.
For start, a 3x week...
They already fly to MAD and BCN so the next step is that

anna.aero said another day that CX LIS-HKG what one of the most underserved routes in europe, so the asian market is potential...
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6306
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:25 am

2 A380’s, 5 A359’s, 10 78X, 6 789.

2 A380’s allow LHR/CDG/FRA A380 year round they downguage 1 when maintenance is required, they can upgauge MUC or more NRT/KIX.

5 A359’s cover most of the remaining 744’s and can be used increase frequency into Europe/Australia, maybe non stop US flights.

6 789’s add to the odd ball 2 they have for Europe.

10 78X to replace most of the 773/772 fleet regionally with more capacity than the A333.

TG do have a mixed fleet and they could just as easily order A35K, 77X.
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
5 A359’s cover most of the remaining 744’s and can be used increase frequency into Europe/Australia, maybe non stop US flights.


Why not 5 A35K's to replace the remaining 744's?
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6306
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 am

Slash787 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
5 A359’s cover most of the remaining 744’s and can be used increase frequency into Europe/Australia, maybe non stop US flights.


Why not 5 A35K's to replace the remaining 744's?


It’s another small sub fleet, not that TG mind this and like I said they could just as easily order A35K and 77X. Personally I think they need to simplify. The only type to be entirely retired in the next few years is the 744.
 
mig17
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:34 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 am

Lets play ! My gess for those 13 widebodies is :
8 A359, A35K, 78K to replace the 744 until 2020.
2 to 4 A359, A35K, 789 or 78K for 77E replacement or growth.
If not 4, maybe 2 A388 to have a "full" subfleet.

The 747 will be gone. The 77A/3 may not have to be replaced by widebodies on régional routes. Or by some 77E and A333. And the new fleet with both Boeing and Airbus will be based on 787 and A350 with the 77W, A330 and A380 staying for now.
727 AT, 737 UX/SK/TO/SS, 747 UT/AF/SQ/BA/SS, 767 UA, 777 AF, A300 IW/TG, A310 EK, A318/19/20/21 AF/U2/VY, A332 EK/QR, A333 TX, A343 AF, A388 AF, E145/170/190 A5/WF, Q400 WF, ATR 72 A5/TX, CRJ100/700/1000 A5, C-150/172, PC-6.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am

Pepper456 wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:
I hope A350 and B788/9/10.
When the aircraft arrives they could do LIS-BKK


Who are you targetting to fly LIS-BKK? O&D plus brazilians are enough to fill several widebodies a week?

JD flies LIS-PEK and has codeshare with TP to take brasilians to Asia directly from LIS.
TP and TG are members of Star Alliance, so brazilians plus portuguese people can make this route a sucess.
TP does Brazil-LIS and TG takes them to BKK.
For start, a 3x week...
They already fly to MAD and BCN so the next step is that


TG can sustain MAD and BCN due to factors that LIS don't have:
1. Feed from Latin America comes from different countries while LIS is almost Brazil exclusively.
2. BCN and MAD are much larger tourist destinations so some traffic comes the other way (from SE Asia to Spain)

LIS-PEK is different than LIS-BKK as PEK gives access to all of mainland China and maybe even to Korea and Japan, very large markets.
BKK provides acceptable connections to SE Asia region only, much smaller market even including south China
JD is a small airline which serves long haul destinations where there is little or no China competition such as LIS and ZAG.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722,717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87,M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 pm

What happened to the intention to fly to HAM, MAD and MAN? It was supposed from Q4 this year if I remember correctly.
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6306
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 pm

DLHAM wrote:
What happened to the intention to fly to HAM, MAD and MAN? It was supposed from Q4 this year if I remember correctly.


TG are well known for this kind of thing, DUS was announced and never started, CHC was rumoured for ages, A350’s to SYD were meant to have happened by now although never officially announced. The addition of MAN/HAM and return to MAD is unknown at this stage. Some more smaller long haul aircraft 787’s/359’s might make this more likely going forward but who knows when.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Hey guys,
I have been reliably informed that Thai wants to keep First Class into Sydney and maintains the 747 on the route for that reason. The A350 is the designated replacement for the 747 into Sydney but as ZK-NBT reports, no official announcement yet as to when....
As a side note, Thai is now the only airline other than Qantas to fly passenger 747s regularly into Sydney. Korean Air occasionally schedules 747s but Qantas and Thai are it.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
MooLor
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:21 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
I have been reliably informed that Thai wants to keep First Class into Sydney and maintains the 747 on the route for that reason. The A350 is the designated replacement for the 747 into Sydney but as ZK-NBT reports, no official announcement yet as to when....


This 'F SYD' thing is a rumour I have only heard here on A.net. It intrigues me none the less - actual demand for F at SYD, or influential person/s make regular visits to SYD?

The current TG A350 don't have F though, so if 'SYD must have F' = true then TG won't be sending A350 anytime soon.

As for the upcoming order and from an Australia perspective, A359 & A35K would be useful - upgauging MEL double daily from A359 to A35K would give ~10% bump in capacity, and replacing 11 * weekly 744 with double daily A359 into SYD would give ~5% bump in capacity. TG is the only full service airline flying BKK-MEL, you would expect them to be doing OK on the route.

This is TG though, you've gotta love 'em. I could see an extra few A380 ordered to replace 744 to MUC & SYD. MUC sounds like it could use it, and EK won't stick with DXB-BKK-SYD A380 forever.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6306
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:51 am

MooLor wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
I have been reliably informed that Thai wants to keep First Class into Sydney and maintains the 747 on the route for that reason. The A350 is the designated replacement for the 747 into Sydney but as ZK-NBT reports, no official announcement yet as to when....


This 'F SYD' thing is a rumour I have only heard here on A.net. It intrigues me none the less - actual demand for F at SYD, or influential person/s make regular visits to SYD?

The current TG A350 don't have F though, so if 'SYD must have F' = true then TG won't be sending A350 anytime soon.

As for the upcoming order and from an Australia perspective, A359 & A35K would be useful - upgauging MEL double daily from A359 to A35K would give ~10% bump in capacity, and replacing 11 * weekly 744 with double daily A359 into SYD would give ~5% bump in capacity. TG is the only full service airline flying BKK-MEL, you would expect them to be doing OK on the route.

This is TG though, you've gotta love 'em. I could see an extra few A380 ordered to replace 744 to MUC & SYD. MUC sounds like it could use it, and EK won't stick with DXB-BKK-SYD A380 forever.


I’ve heard the F thing to SYD aswell and they still send it there on the 744. Thing with the A380 to SYD is they want double daily which the 744 doesn’t give either due to it being to big to maintain good yields, the A380 would probably mean a single daily overall.

I guess I can short term see MEL going 77W with SYD getting the A359’s from there, although AKL is said to go 359 aswell so who knows.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2106
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:08 am

Would the narrow-bodies be for TG proper, or for WE instead? Right now, TG has have one narrow-body (a B734), and that will be withdrawn by September and a codeshare will instead be done with PG (this is to a destination owned by PG).
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:19 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
I’ve heard the F thing to SYD aswell and they still send it there on the 744. Thing with the A380 to SYD is they want double daily which the 744 doesn’t give either due to it being to big to maintain good yields, the A380 would probably mean a single daily overall.

I guess I can short term see MEL going 77W with SYD getting the A359’s from there, although AKL is said to go 359 aswell so who knows.



Well they could also go A380/A359 or 77W to SYD like they are in high season doing to FRA.
 
Egerton
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Thai Airways expected to order 23 aircraft soon.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:27 pm

I would assume that now all vendors have been frightened by the penalties for handing out brown envelopes, even to the military,
that we might see for the first time see some sensible decision making.
 
chiki
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:31 am

Thai Airways according to Reuters is looking for up to 23 widebodies to replace 747s, 777 -200/300. Looking at both the A350 and 777x and is planning on opening routes to USA

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asia ... SKCN1MT19V
 
smi0006
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 am

Perhaps an opportunity to start some fleet consolidation around a particular family.... but I’m cynical.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:40 am

smi0006 wrote:
Perhaps an opportunity to start some fleet consolidation around a particular family.... but I’m cynical.

They already operate the A350-900, so I expect an order for some Boeing 777-8 to start flights to the USA, only to eventually find out that it's uneconomical and park them in the hot, humid Bangkok climate. :spin:
 
Luftymatt
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

mxaxai wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Perhaps an opportunity to start some fleet consolidation around a particular family.... but I’m cynical.

They already operate the A350-900, so I expect an order for some Boeing 777-8 to start flights to the USA, only to eventually find out that it's uneconomical and park them in the hot, humid Bangkok climate. :spin:


:D You joke, but this is unfortunately the level of 'reasoning' that Thai will probably take.
chase the sun
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am

mxaxai wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Perhaps an opportunity to start some fleet consolidation around a particular family.... but I’m cynical.

They already operate the A350-900, so I expect an order for some Boeing 777-8 to start flights to the USA, only to eventually find out that it's uneconomical and park them in the hot, humid Bangkok climate. :spin:


To fly to the US from BKK does not require the ultra long range B777-8 (or the A350-900ULR for that matter). The A350-1000 and B777-9 will also be capable of flying from and to the US with BKK as the operating hub.
 
Pottok
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am

I think they will split the order : Boeing 777-9 and Airbus A350
 
chiki
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 am

They have A350-900, 787-8/9, more A350 seem reasonable for me but since they need to restart flights to USA they will most probably need Boeing help with FAA , so expect both.
 
sibibom
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:04 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

Lets see what they don't have...so some B787-10, B777-8x, -9X and some A330neos and maybe A350-1000. 4-5 of each to make 23 aircrafts.

They planning to replace mainly regional airplanes and are looking for Ultra-long-haul aircraft for the same, Thai(airline not the people) logic at its best!
Last edited by sibibom on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1493
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:32 am

TG doesn't need the 777X. Their oldest aircraft are the non-ER 772s en 773s, so I wonder why they aren't looking at the 787-9/10. More A350s would also make sense.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W, AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:31 pm

If Thai is sensible they'll stick with A350s. A350-1000s replace the 777-300 fleets (so 20 jets total). They should rationalize down to A350s and 787s, and keep the A380s but get rid of any remaining 777s, A330s (they can be replaced by 787s) and 747s.

That said, Thai Airways are infamous for an exceptionally unreasonable fleet strategy so who knows.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:52 pm

mxaxai wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Perhaps an opportunity to start some fleet consolidation around a particular family.... but I’m cynical.

They already operate the A350-900, so I expect an order for some Boeing 777-8 to start flights to the USA, only to eventually find out that it's uneconomical and park them in the hot, humid Bangkok climate. :spin:


Are you from the future, because man does that sound like what is going to happen.

The sensible approach is go for A350-1000, but of course I have little doubt they'll look to complete their Aircraft Sub-Fleet Bingo with B77X
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3336
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:
If Thai is sensible they'll stick with A350s. A350-1000s replace the 777-300 fleets (so 20 jets total).

I agree but I value fleet diversity, so I hope they get a few 777-9xs. Ideally some 787-10s also. The 787-10 is essentially a perfectly 777-300nonER replacement and will be very good for IntraAsia flying. So will A330-900s which will make perfect A330-300 replacements in a few years time.

Fleet rationalisation is the enemy of planespotters, frequent flyers and avgeeks.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm

zkojq wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:
Fleet rationalisation is the enemy of planespotters, frequent flyers and avgeeks.


I'd rather a rationalized fleet than no airline at all. Thai need to streamline for their own competitive viability.

The A350s are clearly the most reasonable choice for Thai.

That said, I agree 787-10s should find a home in Thai's fleet as well.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2074
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:02 pm

chiki wrote:
They have A350-900, 787-8/9, more A350 seem reasonable for me but since they need to restart flights to USA they will most probably need Boeing help with FAA , so expect both.


They will probably start with more 787/8s plus a number of /9s and a sprinkle of /10s for the heavier regional routes, followed by more A350/900s, followed by some -1000s for the heavier routes, but most likely down the line these will be supplemented by the new 777/9 for the heavier routes -alongside refurbished 747s-, plus maybe offload MH of their A380s for the prestige routes. Oh, wait, I forgot the A330/800 for the long thin routes.... :duck: :rotfl: :spin:
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 950
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Thai Airways on the market for jets, looking at 777X, A350

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Knowing TG, they'll buy all versions of both aircraft.
Vahroone

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos