LAXintl
Topic Author

SkyTeam CEO: No new members for now; focus on technology first

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm

New SkyTeam alliance CEO Kristin Colvile says the groups leading focus today is developing technological interoperability between its 20-members airlines improve the customer experience, and not growing member count.

Roll out of functionality that allows all member airlines to do things like accessing other members’ seat maps and cross-sell ancillary products to passengers by the end of 2019 is the goal.

In the interim while the alliance has some notable gaps like Brazil and India, its not planning new members.

She dismisses rumors that Jet Airways could be joining SkyTeam soon. “We’re not looking to bring Jet Airways into SkyTeam at this time. Jet has good commercial ties with some of our members and that’s sufficient.”

She also dismissed rumors that Sichuan Airlines was going to join SkyTeam in the foreseeable future. “No, this is not something we are looking at”

Also unlike Star and OW, SkyTeam has no plans to develop lower tier connecting partner model at the moment.

New SkyTeam CEO wants alliance to be a digital game changer
http://www.orientaviation.com/articles/ ... me-changer

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

janders

Re: SkyTeam CEO: No new members for now; focus on technology first

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 pm

It would be really odd if another Chinese airline joined ST. They are so heavily skewed towards China already.
Reporter forgot to ask about Virgin Atlantic membership.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

bzcat

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm

CZ is Sichuan Airlines largest shareholder so it makes sense that it may join SkyTeam if it was going to join one at all. CZ's other major subsidiary is Xiamen and it is already a full SkyTeam member.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

India and Brazil are two huge gaps. Technology is great, but fill those gaps!

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

TATLTALE

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

I agree that there are some macro gaps (India definitely, Brasil sort of, depending on one's core SkyTeam airline - DL people have Gol for example, though outside of Sky). There are also some micro-gaps or soft points in the system, particularly Scandinavia within Europe. It is possible to get nearly anywhere, but not easily (try booking SFO-GOT or YYC-HEL for example and see how tricky it gets).
Oh stewardess, I speak jive

UPlog

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:43 pm

To me it just seems like SkyTeam is the most boring of the alliances. Their lack of ambition to grow members also seems underwhelming.

Berevoff

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:20 am

Could this be due to any instability within the market due to the current political situations?

mercure1

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 am

No more China or even Far East members please. Lets fill out the map with quality members in other regions instead.
mercure f-wtcc

xiaotung

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:03 am

Forget about new members joining. If CZ would really jump ship should have been asked.

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:18 am

What good is technological compatibility when some of their anchor airline(s) choose to have almost nothing to do with many of their secondary carriers?

I'm not really going to care about using a seat map, if I can only get 0-25% of flown mileage, no EQMs, and telephone-only booking for a partner carrier. :irked:

I'm sure I'm not remotely alone in that sentiment.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

downdata

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 am

LAX772LR wrote:
What good is technological compatibility when some of their anchor airline(s) choose to have almost nothing to do with many of their secondary carriers?

I'm not really going to care about using a seat map, if I can only get 0-25% of flown mileage, no EQMs, and telephone-only booking for a partner carrier. :irked:

I'm sure I'm not remotely alone in that sentiment.

Sure but this is also prevalent in OW and possibly *A. Most advance economy fares you purchase are not going to earn anything on partner FFSs. Worse, QF reduces even business / first class fares to an economy earn rate for partner airlines on routes it flies itself.

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:13 am

downdata wrote:
Sure but this is also prevalent in OW and possibly *A. Most advance economy fares you purchase are not going to earn anything on partner FFSs. Worse, QF reduces even business / first class fares to an economy earn rate for partner airlines on routes it flies itself.

I'm aware, but this wasn't the case for N.Am (DL) based fliers when dealing with most SkyTeam airlines for the longest time, until not long ago when DL completely retooled its earnings and even dropped KE to 4th-tier for a while.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Lootess

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 am

janders wrote:
It would be really odd if another Chinese airline joined ST. They are so heavily skewed towards China already.
Reporter forgot to ask about Virgin Atlantic membership.

Basically was already answered with the Jet Airways answer. VS has the DL/AF/KL deal and that's sufficient.

skymiler

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 am

About bloody time they fix their technology. I have had nothing but issues with the supposedly "seamless" travel. I am especially looking at you, AZ!
I love to fly, and it shows!

vahancrazy

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 pm

TATLTALE wrote:
I agree that there are some macro gaps (India definitely, Brasil sort of, depending on one's core SkyTeam airline - DL people have Gol for example, though outside of Sky). There are also some micro-gaps or soft points in the system, particularly Scandinavia within Europe. It is possible to get nearly anywhere, but not easily (try booking SFO-GOT or YYC-HEL for example and see how tricky it gets).

Is it not possible to connect w/ 1 stop in CDG or AMS? At least HEL is served by both. Anything more to the north is not really something to have understand radar apart in winter season.

factsonly

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:20 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
It is possible to get nearly anywhere, but not easily (try booking SFO-GOT or YYC-HEL for example and see how tricky it gets).

The SKYTEAM connections are certainly there, but flights could be full.

SFO-GOT: up to 4x daily - 1 stop:

- SFO 13:55 - AMS - GOT 13:40 KLM daily
- SFO 15:05 - CDG - GOT 17:00 Air France daily
- SFO 16:30 - AMS - GOT 17.45 KLM Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
- SFO 20:30 - CDG - GOT 22:55 Air France daily

GOT-SFO: up to 4x daily - 1 stop:

- GOT 06:10 - AMS - SFO 11:45 KLM daily
- GOT 06.10 - CDG - SFO 12.30 Air France daily
- GOT 09:50 - AMS - SFO 14:30 KLM Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
- GOT 12:15 - CDG - SFO 18:25 Air France daily

YYC-HEL - 1x daily - 1 stop:
- YYC 15:10 - AMS - HEL 13:20 KLM daily

HEL-YYC - 1x daily - 1 stop:
- HEL 07:00 - AMS - YYC 13:20 KLM daily

michman

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:28 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
downdata wrote:

I'm aware, but this wasn't the case for N.Am (DL) based fliers when dealing with most SkyTeam airlines for the longest time, until not long ago when DL completely retooled its earnings and even dropped KE to 4th-tier for a while.

All the partners now earn MQM's even on their cheapest fares and the main partners like AF, KL, KE, VS, AM, AZ, MU, 9W, G3 earn 100% MQM's even on their cheapest fare classes. The no MQM's on KE marketed flights is over now, so what's the point of dwelling on it? The 25% redeemable earnings on cheapest fare classes has been there for 4 or 5 years and you won't typically do any better on DL marketed flights with their revenue based mileage earnings. Lots of ways around to improve earnings -- book DL Vacation packages, buy up to Premium Economy or VS' new Economy Delight fares, etc. DL simplified things alot for 2018 by going solely with marketing carrier for earnings and no longer factoring in ticketing carrier.

flyinghippo

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:57 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
downdata wrote:

Is this more of how DL's relationship with those carriers? Or how ST has arranged how each other's miles would be calculated across the entire alliance?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos