AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

AA announces ITH-CLT

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Once-weekly Saturday-only service beginning December 22, 2018. No word on whether it is winter seasonal-only.

https://ithacavoice.com/2018/07/america ... charlotte/

727LOVER

Re: AA announces ITH-CLT

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Well....it's SOMETHING

AA left BGM & ELM, correct?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

BatonOps

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Well....it's SOMETHING

AA left BGM & ELM, correct?

Correct. AA dropped ELM and BGM.

Great news for ITH!!

BatonOps

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Cool, what aircraft?

Good question. I guess we will have to wait till Saturday when the flight becomes bookable. I’m guessing and E-145 with Piedmont.

SyracuseAvGeek

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Cool, what aircraft?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 pm

This really should work. AA has been crushing it on BTV-CLT at 2x daily and i feel like ITH is like a mini mini BTV.

There will be plenty of demand for Florida and warmer markets. Hope they commit to this and give it a shot and it can become daily. CLT offers so many connection options and its good to get to a place with less winter weather and delays for those connections! EWR and PHL are really tough in winter for connections they run at full capacity in good weather CLT would be a really welcomed connection point

Menzenski

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:05 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Cool, what aircraft?

I have a hard time seeing anything but a 50 seater. My money would be on a Piedmont 145, which would allow rotating with a PHL flight depending on the schedules. I suppose a PSA CR2 is also a possibility.

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
There will be plenty of demand for Florida and warmer markets. Hope they commit to this and give it a shot and it can become daily. CLT offers so many connection options and its good to get to a place with less winter weather and delays for those connections! EWR and PHL are really tough in winter for connections they run at full capacity in good weather CLT would be a really welcomed connection point

Totally agree. With United moving the EWR service over to IAD and the new (even if currently only once per week) service to CLT, ITH is getting a significant bump in service reliability.

WeatherPilot

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I wonder how much of their SYR-CLT they cannibalize.

Flighty

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 pm

As I recall ITH has been a really dead market with perhaps 20% of the local market using ITH, and 80% of the market driving to other airports. So to me it stands to reason that daily CLT flights should work. This is a similar situation to the COU market in Missouri. Used to be basically unserved, but now AA has 3 daily to DFW including 2 CR9, and 2 CR7 to Chicago. UA also serves it with 50 seat CRJ. Anyway, that's not nothing. ITH is a smaller metropolitan area than Columbia (~100,000 vs 200,000). The schools are roughly similar in size, and give Cornell some credit because it probably has fewer driving students than Missouri does. Just saying there is a real market there that has gone unserved for YEARS because of the pricing models used. Whether it is profitable to serve the broader market at Ithaca (rather than a couple RJs with >$600 flights) I don't know, just saying they haven't. I believe there is more money to make there.

BatonOps

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Flighty wrote:
As I recall ITH has been a really dead market with perhaps 20% of the local market using ITH, and 80% of the market driving to other airports. So to me it stands to reason that daily CLT flights should work. This is a similar situation to the COU market in Missouri. Used to be basically unserved, but now AA has 3 daily to DFW including 2 CR9, and 2 CR7 to Chicago. UA also serves it with 50 seat CRJ. Anyway, that's not nothing. ITH is a smaller metropolitan area than Columbia (~100,000 vs 200,000). The schools are roughly similar in size, and give Cornell some credit because it probably has fewer driving students than Missouri does. Just saying there is a real market there that has gone unserved for YEARS because of the pricing models used. Whether it is profitable to serve the broader market at Ithaca (rather than a couple RJs with >$600 flights) I don't know, just saying they haven't. I believe there is more money to make there.

Hopefully this is the shot in the arm that ITH needs to continue to expand and grow. AA must see potential in the route or they wouldn't be wasting the time in it.

WeatherPilot

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 am

I'm surprised DL doesn't have a flight to either LGA or JFK. Maybe they will after UA switches EWR to IAD

JetBlueCLT

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 am

Nice little addition from CLT.
Next flights: (2) GFK-MSP-CLT-MSP-GFK

SkyVoice

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:20 am

Could it be that American Eagle is having an Allegiant moment in Ithaca? If this proves to be profitable, will American Eagle have more Allegiant moments in other similar markets?
"Son, don't ever try to make sense out of nonsense." - my grandmother

BatonOps

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 am

JetBlueCLT wrote:
Nice little addition from CLT.

Agreed. Hopefully it goes daily in the future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos