Squigee
Topic Author

Giant Beams Of Light As Memorial

Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:31 am

http://www.msnbc.com/news/719622.asp?cp1=1

Ethereal towers of light, visible for miles around, will pierce the Lower Manhattan skyline starting Monday evening, six months after terrorism changed the world as we knew it.

It may be a nice idea, but I have heard only bad things from pilots about the pillar of light in Las Vegas, at the Luxor(?). They have said it is too bright, ruins visibility of other aircraft, and is generally a pain.

Is this memorial such a good idea? They say it's going to be visible from space, should it be in one of the busiest airspaces of the world?
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

Delta15

RE: Giant Beams Of Light As Memorial

Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:50 am

How far away can you see it? From the land and ground?

Squigee
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:11 am

I can't find a picture (I saw it on the TV), but they were square, much thinner than the towers, but go almost three times as high. You'd have to be blind to miss them (they said they are going to be visible from space)
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

Samurai 777

Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:35 am

The light memorial for the 9/11 tragedy is not going to be a permanent feature - it'll only be up from March 11 to April 13.

They'd probably be seen from a great distance, I'd bet.

I believe an Edmonton-based firm is contracted to provide the lights.

cedarjet

Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:18 am

I think it sucks. Unnecessary and tasteless, and that's not considering the safety aspect. It's like a ghost limb, when someone loses a limb they can still feel it. I think there should be a permanent memorial and museum and even something in the meantime but in the immediate aftermath a few possibilities were suggested and I thought this was the least of them (must confess I can't remember the others though).

Is it true that a big (couple of storeys high) section of the exterior of the WTC has been saved for a Sept 11th museum? I think that's cool, the the narrow vertical columns that created the outside appearance of the buildings was very sleek and classy.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz