toady

ATL Security Question

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:07 pm

A few weeks ago I flew direct (from UK) to ATL for the first time since Sep 11 and I have a question about the new improved security measures.

Imagine I wanted to bring a dangerous/restricted item with me into the US - let's say a modest size pocket knife intended as a gift for an American friend.
The knife would go into my check-in bag (of course) and I would board the plane in London carrying nothing on my person that would be deemed dangerous.
I would disembark at Concourse E in Atlanta and proceed through the immigration booths to the baggage reclaim.
I would then collect my check-in bag (containing the little pocket knife) and would then proceed through the airport to the Terminal buildings and the taxi ranks/buses etc.
However, in order to leave Concourse E and make my way through the airport, I need to go through a security check point where I and my bags are screened and x-rayed.
What happens when the kinife in my luggage is detected? It is clearly an item that is not allowed within the airport's security cordon.

artsyman

RE: ATL Security Question

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:12 pm

I believe that alarm bells will go off all over the airport. They will shut down the entire airport, force planes to return to ATL for rescreening, alert the media, create some sort of massive over-reaction to the whole thing, and then two weeks later, they will have a poll on CNN to decide if you got a fair sentence or not. A further 2 weeks later would bring on endless discussion on a website called airliners.net

Jeremy
Ps, Sorry, I'm bored

delta-flyer

Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:16 am

If I remember correctly, you drop your checked bags on a conveyer for delivery to your next flight prior to passing through security in Concourse E.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

toady

Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:24 am

No, that doesn't happen. It's as I described above - at least, it was last month.

I cleared immigration, picked up my bags from the reclaim conveyor and then went through another x-ray & metal detector check whilst still in Concourse E. From there, I was back 'inside the system' and I hopped on the train to the Terminal building and my waiting ride.

I happened to have no restricted or dangerous items in my baggage but I was left wondering what would have occurred if I had been carrying a knife. Or nailclippers!

jhooper

Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:30 am

They probably have provisions for "re-checking" your luggage for collection at the "main" baggage claim.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

toady

Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:39 pm

I suppose they must have some kind of system for re-checking or whatever. It must be a logistical nightmare for them!
I assume there must be a considerable number of passengers who have prohibited items (read nailclippers etc) in their checked bags.
To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to what was going on around me; after waiting 45 minutes just to clear immigration, all I was interested in was getting the hell out of the airport!

.....which leads me to another question: There are 86 immigration booths in Concourse E - why the hell where there only 7 open? 4 for US citizens and 3 for non-US folk.