Loudest Part And Quietest Seats On Planes

Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:05 am

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to say I found out something quite interesting. The reason why some people say some of their A320 trips were quiet and other times loud on take-off etc. is depending on where they sat.

Once I thought the A321 was the quietest plane I've been on, but on a return flight from Milan, I realised take-off is twice as exiting and roared a lot more.

I thought sitting next to the engine would be loudest, but although the engines were very loud on idle (on a 738) takeoff saw very little change in thrust noise.

SO, IF YOU SIT FAR BEHIND THE WING, TAKE-OFF IS LOUDER, BUT WHEN THE JETYS ARE ON IDLE, YOU CAN BARELY HEAR THEM, BUT NEXT TO THE JET VICE VERSA.

I am not sure how it is infront of the jet. Does anyone know?

I am going on an A340 SOON and was wondering if takeoff is really quiet, as the engines are far apart from the body, so the thrust doesn't reach??

i like loud take-offs!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Tango-Bravo

RE: Loudest Part And Quietest Seats On Planes

Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:16 am

The loudest place that I have ever experienced on any of the modern jetliners is the last 2-3 rows of an MD-80; if seated in the very last row, one sees little out the window except engine inlet and the first 12" or so of engine cowling. On one airline whose MD-80 I was seated alongside an engine, the flight attendant actually offered earplugs -- which I accepted and used. Was glad I did!

gotAirbus

Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:21 am

BALKAN,154M

Go enjoy (i mean ENJOY) every bit of the A340. Although the window seats are "height obtrusive" to the tall person because of the low luggage compartments there, its engine sounds like a soft orchestra with the right amt of volume, even at idle (esp. descent)

gotAirbus?
Airbus A340-600
ERJ-145
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

FlyboyOz

Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:32 am

My mom told me that when CX A330 took off in the sky and then approach to the runway, she heard the engines making "funny" noisy. But when the plane was cruising, the engines were very quiet and normal.

When i was on Upper Deck on AN744, the engines were really very quiet so that i could sleep very well as if i was in Business class  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:52 am

I have sat at the back of a tu-154 !
but it is no where nearly as loud as sitting behind the wing on IL-86 OR 737-200! SO IM surprised the MD-80 WAS! DID IT TAKE-OFF LOUDLY?

TO GOTAIRBUS, GOOD THAT IT HAS GOOD SOUND,
BUT DOES IT SOUND GOOD ON TAKE-OFF, THAT'S WHAT I LIKE!

TO FLYBOYOZ,
MAYBE IT MADE FUNNY NOISES OR ROARING SOUNDS, BECAUSE SHE WAS SITTING BEHIND THE WING, WHERE TAKE-OFF IS LOUDER AND IDLE IS QUIET!