xwb777
Topic Author

Report: 'Emirates' - best carrier among the American travellers

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 pm

According to a new report conducted by yougov, a data company, Emirates was the rated the best among the American travelers beating British Airways, Delta, American Airlines and Lufthansa.

It was also found that the American travellers are more likely to recommend the airlines to family and friends. This can clearly show that the campaign that was launched by the US3 to lobby the US government and interfere in the Public's choices and perception towards the airline has failed.

Source: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... port-shows

goboeing

Re: Report: 'Emirates' - best carrier among the American travellers

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 am

xwb777 wrote:
It was also found that the American travellers are more likely to recommend the airlines to family and friends. This can clearly show that the campaign that was launched by the US3 to lobby the US government and interfere in the Public's choices and perception towards the airline has failed.

Right.

And of alllll the "American travellers" recommending airlines to family and friends, what percentage of them even had the opportunity to sample Emirates last year?

1% ?

That's one heck of an extrapolation.

DL747400

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:51 am

Sourced from arabianbusiness.com ....... Really? Might just as well have come from Al Jazeera.

From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

aviationaware

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 am

Please. Al-Jazeera would only be propping up Qatar.
Last edited by aviationaware on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

compensateme

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:58 am

I have to echo one of the comments above. EK is a great airline, but the percentage of Americans air passengers whose travels would even remotely make sense with EK is insignificant (and even then QR is a better all around airline IMO).

Ultimately, it’s no different than arguing Canadian North is Americans’ favorite airline within North America.
Nobody cares what your next flight is...

NYPECO

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

Americans don't fly Emirates in general.

FlyHappy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:05 am

xwb777 wrote:
According to a new report conducted by yougov, a data company, Emirates was the rated the best among the American travelers beating British Airways, Delta, American Airlines and Lufthansa.

Source: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... port-shows

Seriously? According to MeCorp, a Logic company, what does the quality of Emirates have to do with legitimacy (right or wrong) of US3 claims?

Answer: nothing. There's no relationship between the two things, so what exactly are you trying to suggest by saying "This can clearly show that the campaign that was launched by the US3 to lobby the US government and interfere in the Public's choices and perception towards the airline has failed".

Do tell.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 am

Surprisingly enough, I've many friends who swears off EK.

They often say QR & EY are way better than EK, which is overhyped. Can't say for certain myself since I've never flown EK, only QR.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:15 am

And who actually takes this seriously?

1) USAmericans don't travel internationally worth a damn, especially compared to other 1stWorld/Developed populaces

2) Most book overwhelmingly on the combination of price+schedule, the latter of which EK will rarely be competitive to anywhere other than select regions in Asia and Africa.

3) Even if neither of the above were accurate, what exactly does "best carrier" even signify: is there any tangible value in thinking that BrandX is "best" if your travel preferences/patterns mean you routinely fly on others?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

danj555

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:16 am

I agree with 1%.. or less each year. TBH the ME3 don't work for USA travelers. Wanna go to euro... can't. wanna go to South America? Cant. Wanna spend twice as long in a plane to Asia? Sure... ME3 only works for Africa/ Middle East/ India.... Thats it. I'll take a punt that most of America's int'l travelers doesn't want to go to those places.

FlyHappy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:25 am

danj555 wrote:
I agree with 1%.. or less each year. TBH the ME3 don't work for USA travelers. Wanna go to euro... can't. wanna go to South America? Cant. Wanna spend twice as long in a plane to Asia? Sure... ME3 only works for Africa/ Middle East/ India.... Thats it. I'll take a punt that most of America's int'l travelers doesn't want to go to those places.

I have family who regularly transit SE Asia - US East coast. after all the raving about EK, they tried it out, A380 and all. Not impressed. The aircraft didn't matter, the shiny DXB hub didn't matter, and contrary to a.net mythology, the fare didn't matter.
Right back to ANA/KE where they are happier.

Arion640

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 am

Americans off on one again as someone non-american isn’t allowed to be the best at something.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

“No bumps, no bangs - Concorde”

jayunited

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Americans off on one again as someone non-american isn’t allowed to be the best at something.

That is not what people are saying. EK might be one of the best air carriers in the skies today however the article and the title are wrong because 95% (and I'm being generous) or more of Americans have never set foot on an Emirates aircraft so to say they are the best among the American traveler I think like other its wrong.

If we were to actually ask Americans who is the best airline I think Domestically WN, B6, HA, and DL would be at the top of the list. For international travelers to Europe I think BA, LH, DL, perhaps AF, AA, and LX. For Asia it would be SQ, CX, NH, KE, JL, and perhaps DL and by some long shot UA might be on that list.

The facts are most Americans don't fly EK so the claim that they are the best among American travelers is to broad a bush stroke perhaps if they would have worded it differently (EK the best carrier to the Middle East and Africa from America) it might ring true but the title of this thread is clearly false.

melpax

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:09 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

1) USAmericans don't travel internationally worth a damn, especially compared to other 1stWorld/Developed populaces

This.

While the ME3 are all reasonably popular here in Oz, it's because they're often the most convient option if you're wanting to get to Europe (especially places like Greece or the Balkans) or much of Africa. For Americans, the ME3 would only be a good option if you're headed to the Mid-East or the Sub-Continent.

Also, given that most Aussies have at least 4 weeks leave & flights are super-cheap at the moment, it's not unusual for people here to fly long-haul on holiday on an annual basis, sometimes more. While most Americans who would be able to go on a 2-3 week long-haul trip would most likely be the retired, the self-employed or the idle rich.....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

ExpatFlyer

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

I guess this the never-ending story between those who fly EK and those who fly with US airlines.

The point is simple: EK offers an exceptional in-flight service in all 3 classes (just compare the the quality and size of dinner and lunch meals served in economy class with those served on the likes of AA or UA - I'm not including DL as that's the best US airline indeed) and especially outstanding when you fly Business Class or the First Class Suites.

Starting from the flow of champagne, the transfer by limo to/from the airport, the EK lounges, the in-flight experience, the on-board IFE, the bar-lounge on the A380, EK is totally far superior to any single US airline.

If you transit through DXB and spend your time in the EK lounge the food variety from international to middle-eastern to asian, 4 different types of Moet&Chandon champagnes and the extra value of boarding your A380 directly from the gate access from the lounge, you immediately feel the different compared to lounges across US airports (note: all wines, champagne and food is complimentary in any EK lounge, even at the EK lounge by Moet& Chandon in Dubai).

If you fly J or F you get pampered! And probably you experience that same level of customer service only when you fly with airlines like SQ, QF, AF.

Having said that, it's also a matter of perception.

For the majority of American travelers, flying is just a commodity for getting from A to B while for most Asian flyers comfort and in-flight service come in first place when selecting an airline and that where EK fits very well (I'm talking about flying J or F of course).

So there's a set of priorities that is different based on passengers' expectations and preferences.

This is a Marketing battle for attracting new customers as well as keeping and growing loyal customers based on offering the utmost in-flight service, whether it's the lounge, the seating area, the IFE, the in-flight food and wines.
You win passengers based on the quality of the service an airline offers.

Then if an American traveler is happy to fly with a US airline offering a lower level of in-flight service simply because that's an American airline, this is another story and another reason for taking that decision, but in this case we could discuss for hours on the in-flight service, and the reasons behind selecting an airline, to no result.

Again for an airline it's just a matter of providing, delivering and maintaining an outstanding service whether on the ground or in-flight.

For me the FLL-DXB, or JFK-DXB, and then connecting to SIN or KUL or HKG and back is simply an amazing experience that rises the bar of the flight experience to the next level, and EK does that very very well.
Last edited by ExpatFlyer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's so Miami!

mozart

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:07 pm

I think many posters here do not really understand how consumer research works and what these surveys say: if the question is "what is the best airline" then it doesn't matter if they have experienced it or not. The question does not look at whether these people say that EK is the best airline. It can very well be that these people simply parrot-like repeat what they heard from others. The question asked this way is a better way to measure reputation than actual experience. Perfectly legitimate.

Conversely, the survey results should then be "used" in exactly that way: nobody should think that the votes for EK are all based on actual experience. If that is what people want to know, then they should look for a survey that asks the question of "which airline is the best that you have experienced", or even better "... in the past 18 months" (or whatever number of months you find makes results still being relevant).

I agree with those that say that the respondents for a large part have not experienced the airlines they vote for. British Airways in second place? What a complete joke, that airline is complete rubbish since Alex Cruz is stripping it of any elements of quality that it has/had.

evank516

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm an American, I've been on their planes, I know plenty of other Americans that have flown them and I can say that EK is definitely one of the best airlines out there. I've never flown them, but I'm one of those Americans that doesn't fly internationally, or at least hasn't done much more than transborder or Caribbean in his entire life. My expired passport sits in my house, still damaged from Hurricane Sandy.

However, part of me thinks the reason why they're not as popular here as they are in the rest of the world is more geographical than anything. People on the East Coast can be in Europe in 7 hours on one flight, People on the West Coast have their nonstop flights to Asia and Australia, and the major cities can reach each coast in one flight. Also let's face it, our relations in the Middle East aren't exactly top notch so Americans automatically assume it's just not safe for us to opt for a connection in DXB over places like AMS or FRA or LHR.

tphuang

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Quite a lot of my colleagues have flown them and so have I. A380 in j is a great experience. Better than any other j experience I have had.

dtw2hyd

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm

ExpatFlyer wrote:
EK offers an exceptional in-flight service in all 3 classes (just compare the the quality and size of dinner and lunch meals served in economy class with those served on the likes of AA or UA

UA spends $5.80 on catering per passenger, actually highest among US3.
EK spends $25 per passenger on in-flight catering.
Sounds fantastic correct?

UA spends $.5.80 on complimentary snack and drink.
---
EK spends a meager $25 on

Snack
Hot Meals (One or Two)
Pre-arrival snack
Unlimited soft drinks
Free cheap liquor in economy

Plus in Premium Cabins
Pre-departure beverage
Multi-course meals
Farm grown Iranian caviar
Vintage wine collection $70 Million/year
Cheese platters
Artisan Chocolates

If you have a caterer who can do all this for $25 in the continental US, please text their number to US3.

trpmb6

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

melpax wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Also, given that most Aussies have at least 4 weeks leave & flights are super-cheap at the moment, it's not unusual for people here to fly long-haul on holiday on an annual basis, sometimes more. While most Americans who would be able to go on a 2-3 week long-haul trip would most likely be the retired, the self-employed or the idle rich.....

In my 30s and I have as much leave as I want to have (run my own engineering firm) but usually take about 6 weeks each year as this is what my wife also has each year. We usually spread it out and take a couple trips to cancun and then will travel the states. Won't use it all up in one time because it's too disruptive to business and our children's lives (not listed in any particular order).

Flying overseas just doesn't really interest me much beyond experiencing some of the more historic sites. The internet has helped quell that desire some and I take far more enjoyment in seeing the various cities of the US and the different naturescapes we have across the states. I'm not going to fly to the middle east to experience dry heat when I could go to the american south west and do the same for cheaper (sure there are plenty of holes to poke in this simple analogy but that's not the point).

The fact most american's don't travel internationally (beyond business) has more to do with what is available to experience in our own country than anything else.

gatibosgru

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Can't even share a freaking article here without the condescending/cynical army coming down.
@DadCelo

trpmb6

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:13 pm

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/10/british- ... i-7821529/

Such a weird report. So yes she was in the wrong for not correcting her Visa issue before her flight (but she claims she was unaware of such requirements). But why would emirates serve her wine on a flight into Dubai? Is that even a real rule/law?

Samrnpage

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Americans dont travel outside of the US in general, they are in their own world and have everything they need from holiday destinations to travel to work. Not many ever travel the world if at all, so saying EK is the best or whatever is weird.

9w748capt

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm

They don't even have lie-flat J class - ROFLMAO

smokeybandit

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I'd best most Americans haven't heard of just about all non-American airlines other than maybe British Airways or El Al (from doing crossword puzzles).

FlyHappy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 pm

ExpatFlyer wrote:
The point is simple: EK offers an exceptional in-flight service in all 3 classes (just compare the the quality and size of dinner and lunch meals served in economy class with those served on the likes of AA or UA - I'm not including DL as that's the best US airline indeed) and especially outstanding when you fly Business Class or the First Class Suites.

This is true.

ExpatFlyer wrote:
Then if an American traveler is happy to fly with a US airline offering a lower level of in-flight service simply because that's an American airline, this is another story and another reason for taking that decision, but in this case we could discuss for hours on the in-flight service, and the reasons behind selecting an airline, to no result.

This is not true.

Specifically the bolded part about "because that's an American airline" - US travelers aren't anymore loyal or nationalistic towards their home carriers than anyone else; there's nothing to suggest that at all (even if US3 attempted to play on that with their lobbying effort). US pax regularly fill planes from BA/KLM/AF/FI/SQ/EVA/CN3/etc, etc.

If we are painting broad strokes, the inclination of US international travelers is more focused on schedule, convenience, frequency, price than on quality of in-flight meals. Whether this is due to the nature of the US domestic aviation market or something else, is irrelevant, but it puts ME3/EK at a disadvantage relative to not just US3, but also Asian and Euro carriers.

the ME3 simply have their hubs in the "wrong" places to maximize clientele in the US. If they hubbed in the Azores and Anchorage, they'd get plenty more US business. The meals don't matter much, nor does the A380 (maybe to you, but not to most).

ElPistolero

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Sourced from arabianbusiness.com ....... Really? Might just as well have come from Al Jazeera.

Sourced from YouGov.

Arabian Business is just reporting on it.

KSAAirliner

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Emirates is the best airline ever ! no wonder why American customers have good taste in choosing good products and service !

Thanks for sharing

jumpjets

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm

For me the key is in the opening sentence of the OPs linked article which says:

'YouGov statistics show that Emirates is perceived as the "best quality" airline among American business travellers.'

The key word is perceived - and you can have a perception based on absolutely no personal experience whatsoever. In my opinion if you have no personal experience of a particular product or have no firm evidence from a third party then your participation in such a survey as used by yougov is invalid.

In my opinion therefore to say that EK is rated the best airline based on the perceptions of people most of whom have never flown the airline as stated in the OP is therefore a flawed argument before you even get the debate going,

mozart

Report: 'Emirates' - best carrier among the American travellers

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am

jumpjets wrote:
For me the key is in the opening sentence of the OPs linked article which says:

'YouGov statistics show that Emirates is perceived as the "best quality" airline among American business travellers.'

The key word is perceived - and you can have a perception based on absolutely no personal experience whatsoever. In my opinion if you have no personal experience of a particular product...,

That is just plain wrong and not how market research works.

People have not been asked which airline of all the ones they have used is the best. They have been asked which one they *think* is the best. This perception can be based on many things: having flown them, having heard others rave about it, having seen a commercial, having researched the product on the web. Or Seeing a commercial with Jennifer Aniston like this https://youtu.be/GS8nqYf5NvQ

Analogy: If you ask people what they think the best car in the world is plenty would say “Rolls Royce” or “Mercedes”, although most have not even seen one in front of their eyes, ever. By the logic of naming only cars that people have experienced the rankings would be led by the likes of Ford. And noone would seriously argue that Ford builds the best cars in the world.

If you want to know what those people that *have* used it or that *did* have a choice between EK and another airline, their growth numbers speak for themselves.

So, sorry to break it to all US3 fans, Emirates has managed to leave their mark on people’s perception, even though only very few ever get to experience the product.

FlightMode

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:15 am

trpmb6 wrote:
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/10/british-mum-jailed-daughter-4-drinking-glass-wine-flight-dubai-7821529/

Such a weird report. So yes she was in the wrong for not correcting her Visa issue before her flight (but she claims she was unaware of such requirements). But why would emirates serve her wine on a flight into Dubai? Is that even a real rule/law?

Off topic, but to reply. She wasn't actually charged with drinking but with profanity and filming in a restricted area. It is perfectly legal to consume alcohol in hotels and clubs in Dubai and outlets at DXB and non-Muslim residents can obtain a licence to purchase alcohol at other outlets.

KentB27

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:19 pm

The key word here is "perceived". I think Emirates gets a lot of fanboys because of its highly regarded first class. Nobody ever talks about Emirates economy class and when they do I hear that it's nothing special and no better than any other airline's economy class. EK is an overhyped carrier, simple as that. I can almost guarantee that most of the people who talk up Emirates have never actually flown with them. It's like obnoxious fans of certain universities or sports teams who are just bandwagon fans because other people say that team or university is the best. There is a saying about stuff like that. It goes the biggest fans of the university have never actually went to the university. The biggest fans of Emirates have never actually flown on Emirates.

mozart

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 am

It doesn’t matter if they have flown it or not.

It’s like putting Harvard or Stanford low in the rankings because only few people actually studied there.

Whilst clearly a matter of taste, Emirates’ First Class blows Whatever Intercontinental first class cabins there are left on US carriers, and the business class on the A380 is also clearly superior to anything offered by a US-based airline. Also, lounges are in a completely different league (EK Business lounges are better than AA Flagship and UA International First and Polaris lounges, and the EK First Class lounge has no match by the US airlines).

The fact that most people in the US never have the opportunity to fly Emirates simply because they do not go where the overwhelming majority of people want to go, is why the US3 can survive any competition. Where they to compete, Emirates has taken substantial market share, and partly even driven the US3 out of the market.