AirCanadaMan
Topic Author

Wing Contamination?

Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:17 pm

My mother has just asked me about a situation that occured on her flight aboard Canadian North last weekend, it also has me rather puzzled.

It was an F-28, (C-FTAR) from YZF-YEG, and just before they closed the door, the FO came on and said they had wing contamination, and he went to check the wing. 1 1/2 hours later, whatever it was was finally cleaned off, so they closed the door, and went to de-ice and proceed to the runway. Once taxied into position on the active, the FO lowered the airstaris, ran out checked the wings again, and finally took off.
Arriving very late in YEG.
Outside Air Temp. was -42C at the time, if it has any relevance.

So, as I have no idea what this was, I figured someone here might, are there any other cases, incidents etc. of this matter?

Delta737

RE: Wing Contamination?

Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:26 pm

"contamination" means that they've got ice (or snow) on the wings.

Sometimes when you de-ice the aircraft, you have to do a visual check to ensure that it's still effective.

Also, in some conditions, you have to do a "tactile" inspection of the wing, thus having to physically touch the wing to check for "contamination".

I had to do a "cabin check" a few weeks ago during some snow conditions in CVG and people are pretty concerned when they see a pilot come back in the cabin and look at the wings before takeoff!

Doug Taylor
jetcareers.com

AJ

Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:47 pm

Interesting comparison with the Dryden accident, read here:http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/view_details.cgi?date=03101989&airline=Air+Ontario

lymanm

Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:58 pm

After Dryden at the Eagle ATR accident in 1995 (?), there was a renewed effort in making sure icing incidents are avoided at the regional level. Be glad that your crew took the hour and half to ensure the aircraft was completely clean. It costs the company money in the delay (and pax grumbles), but it's one of those safety comes first items.
buhh bye