AT
Topic Author

747-400 "lite"?

Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:02 am

I have noticed that on the flights from London to the US East Coast , British Airways usually uses its Boeing 747-400 aircraft with the G-BNLA through Z registrations.
Therefore, I had assumed, these must be the "lite"-designated aircraft which are used for shorter flights that do not require so much fuel.

Yet, in pictures on this website, I have seen pictures of the G BNL series aircraft in cities such as Sydney and Hong Kong, which are much longer routes, suggesting that these aircraft are NOT the "lite" aircraft.

Does any one have any information? Or is my information wrong and all the BA 747-400s have the identical range and fuel capacity?

Thanks

aamd11

RE: 747-400 "lite"?

Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:07 am

Lite is a newer version of the aircraft with weight-saving measures in plaace to enable a very slightly more efficient fuel consumption and a very slightly increased range.
BA has 10 such 747-400 Lites, and im trying to figure which ones they are... i think they are the late G-CIV* models... as G-BNL aircaft were first to be delivered.
I know City of London (G-BNLA) was first to be delivered.
I do see a lot of G-BYG* aircraft in Sydney and i got a G-CIV to Singapore so maybe some of the BYG and CIV are the lites... i will look into it...

B-HOP

Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:18 am

I think is CIVD/E/F/G
Live life to max!!!

N79969

Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:39 am

Good question. I have seen the 'lite' designation and have wondered about it also.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos