N777UA
Topic Author

Why Ditch Kai Tak?

Thu Aug 26, 1999 5:29 am

Why did they close down Kai Tak?

CX747

RE: Why Ditch Kai Tak?

Thu Aug 26, 1999 10:14 am

They closed down Kai Tak because it was bursting at the seems and couldn't handle anymore traffic. If you look at photographs of this airport you will see the airplanes piled close to one another on the tarmac with little room to spare. Chek Lap Kok offers room for growth and so on. I personally feel that they should have kept Kai Tak open for business jets and the likes. Kind of like Teterboro New Jersey.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

SQ1

Thu Aug 26, 1999 11:31 am

I feel the same way as CX747. Any plan that would have allowed flight activities to continue into Kai Tak would have been great.

The saddest thing is that they will now tear down the whole place and make it into a new residential estate. I guess with the chronic need for land in HK, they can't afford the luxury of a downtown regional/biz jet airport.

kaitak

Fri Aug 27, 1999 5:27 am

I guess I should really put in my two pence worth on this one!! Of course, it was bursting at the seams, but GOD, how I loved that place! I don't think there will ever be a better place for taking photos than Kai Tak. I remember when the end was near and CLK was being delayed; I used to be delighted at each and every delay in the opening. There was even talk of a crack in one of the runways, which I hoped would delay things a good few months/years. No chance of a seaquake, though!
To me, and with all due respect to Singapore, Kai Tak encapsulated the difference between SIN and HKG. It was Hong Kong - exciting, feverish activity, a little messy and untidy, but NEVER boring. (AND I'M NOT SAYING SINGAPORE IS!!) Changi on the other hand is perfect - beautiful, open space, neat and tidy etc. And that's great, but given the choice, it was always Kai Tak for me.

Yes, I know it's long. I just had to get it off my chest!!*sniffle*

CX747

Fri Aug 27, 1999 5:34 am

Kaitak I couldn't agree with you more. Close down Chek Lap Kok and reopen Kai Tak. Kai Tak forever.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

kaitak

Fri Aug 27, 1999 8:30 pm

Thanks CX747! Either that or "anyone have a timewarp machine for sale?!!"