Disadvantages Of Alliances

Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:16 pm

Airlines in Star Alliance, Oneworld etc enjoy the many benefits of being in an alliance, connecting passengers are one of these benefits.

I was wondering if there are any disadvantages of alliances. Or if there are any risks (to the airline or the alliance) when an airline joins an alliance.

Thank you in advance for the replies (if there are any  Smile )

Qatar

iluvwestjet

RE: Disadvantages Of Alliances

Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:51 pm

One disadvantage I can think of is when one of the member airlines is bought out, or goes bankrupt, the rest of the alliance has a big gap to fill. Examples of this would include Air Canada buying out Canadian and pulling it from oneworld, shutting the alliance out from Canada. Another is the shutdown of Ansett which left Star Alliance out of the domestic Australia market (although I suspect Air NZ may have picked up the slack slightly).

ATL2CDG

Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:48 pm

Another is reputation carryover. Say, for example, a Lufthansa plane goes down outside of FRA. It's partners (UA, etc) face possible downturns in related-market traffic as the public automatically draws lines of association between the various carriers. Given the extensive codesharing operations throughout the world, one may buy a ticket with one carrier and end up travelling on 3 or 4 various one before arriving at the final destination. If people don't research who operates each leg, one may automatically clump them all into one "super-carrier" with with one "super-image," bad or good.
Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

UALPHLCS

Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:56 am

I have to disagree ATL2CDG, we are not at the point where the general public lumps the STAR carriers and the Oneworld carriers images together. Many customers I check-in are surprised UA checks in AC customers in PHL. While this may seem a natural fit to you and I many people don't realise they are partners. While some know they share Mileage plans they don't realize how deep the relationship goes. Maybe one day people may see alliances as "super-carriers" but that isn't a problem today.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

bacardi182

Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:35 am

When I fly with american I expect the same service as LAN but I will be dissapointed... Or if I flew from LHR-JFK on BA's buisness class and had to fly my next leg on AA's buisness class without sleeper seats...

BH346

Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:45 am

One disadvantage to the consumer I can think of is when two airlines that fly a same route form an alliance, one airline drops out of the route and code-shares with the other airline, seems common on long-distance flights.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

wadha

Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:49 am

one disadvantages of alliances is that when you want to book on an airline and then you are placed on the other airline that code shares with it. now suppose i want to fly Lufthansa and i love them, and then i am placed instead on United? personally it happend to me and i see much difference between LH and UAL.. i love LH much better than UAL because theyhave more excellent service in terms of ground services, on time, and inflight services, and their cabin crew are much better than united's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos