enilria
Topic Author

EK Crosswind Landing at Newcastle Becomes Touch 'n Go

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Didn't see this posted. 11/29/2018 this was recorded. Getting front page treatment on CNN. I'm a little confused how taking back off again would help in a cross-wind landing. It's hard to tell from the angle, but the only thing I can imagine is that he/she didn't feel it could stop? The runway is 7600 feet long. Very unusual that taking back off would be the best option.

Video captures the moment when an Emirates Boeing 777 attempted a difficult landing due to high winds at Newcastle airport in the UK.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/1 ... n-orig.cnn

zeke

Re: EK Crosswind Landing at Newcastle Becomes Touch 'n Go

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Good job, well done, safe outcome.

Nothing really unusual about this, standard rejected landing. Very well flown.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Karlsands

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Nothing unusual about a go around ever, must have felt unstable. CNN is overly dramatic as usual

kiowa

most rejected landings occur before nosewheel touchdown. something spooked the pilots.

A388

I don't see anything unusual there and I think you answered your own question. It looks like the engine thrust reversers were not deployed either. The crew probably thought they couldn't stop safely so they took off again. Just my 2 cents.

A388

exFWAOONW

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Yawn. Slow news day. I doubt there was any underwear needing replacement.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

lightsaber

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Karlsands wrote:
Nothing unusual about a go around ever, must have felt unstable. CNN is overly dramatic as usual

Must be a slow news day. If pilots see anything out of kilter, their job is to make decisions.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

wingman

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

kiowa wrote:
most rejected landings occur before nosewheel touchdown. something spooked the pilots.

I was thinking the same thing. It's not clear due to the angle but it does seem as if all gear is down when they reject. I haven't seen that very often. In most cases they're floaters and never get the mains down or they do the bouncy bounce thing and bounce past the minimum length. Great video either way, just wish we had a better angle.

Cunard

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Must be a slow news day. If pilots see anything out of kilter, their job is to make decisions.

Lightsaber

Exactly well in saying that Lightsaber and the fact that this is obviously a pointless thread as we're all agreed that there is nothing unusual to see here couldn't you use your higher powers as a Moderator in actually locking this thread as too many of these types of threads are appearing on a.net recently and with the height of winter approaching there is also bound to be similar pointless weather related threads!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

emiratesdriver

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm

wingman wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. It's not clear due to the angle but it does seem as if all gear is down when they reject. I haven't seen that very often. In most cases they're floaters and never get the mains down or they do the bouncy bounce thing and bounce past the minimum length. Great video either way, just wish we had a better angle.

A training flight, new F/O onboard with a new training Cpt and a senior trainer, training the new training Captain.
NCL is Capts only at EK due to the runway length and width. Post 521 the airline is petrified of any landing/aborted landing incidents, as the such the handling Captain was stood-down post duty and deadheaded home for punishment and re-education or termination. EK a happy equitable place to work with a “No blame” culture, yeah right.

gokmengs

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
wingman wrote:
kiowa wrote:

A training flight, new F/O onboard with a new training Cpt and a senior trainer, training the new training Captain.
NCL is Capts only at EK due to the runway length and width. Post 521 the airline is petrified of any landing/aborted landing incidents, as the such the handling Captain was stood-down post duty and deadheaded home for punishment and re-education or termination. EK a happy equitable place to work with a “No blame” culture, yeah right.

Wow! So a captain does a standard go around and he is punished for that? Wouldn’t that cause future events where captains decisions are not thought out but forced? Wow
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

Chaostheory

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
wingman wrote:
kiowa wrote:

In which case Emirates is going to run out of crews very quickly.

The A380 arrival into BHX went around from below 500ft this morning. I was cycling through the park and I know there were a few cameras recording so it's only a matter of time before it's on youtube.

peanuts

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Regardless, we all get played. CNN made money. 15 second commercial prior.
They are trying to get most bang for the buck. They really don't care if you find them dramatic or not. It worked.

william

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:08 pm

in a go around like that are the spoilers manually stowed ? Isn't there a TOGA button on the throttle?

I asked about the spoilers because I read the report on the AA 757 that crashed in the mountains in South America and it stated had the spoilers been stowed they would have cleared the mountain when the pilot tried to climb. With ground spoilers deployed one is not going flying.

emiratesdriver

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 pm

gokmengs wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:
wingman wrote:

Wow! So a captain does a standard go around and he is punished for that? Wouldn’t that cause future events where captains decisions are not thought out but forced? Wow

Exactly, but thats what you get with non flying higher management and compliant expat puppet individuals. Add into the mix the Arab mentality of punishment and guilty till proven innocent, then you can begin to understand why EK cant recruit and are struggling to retain experienced aviators.

sixtyseven

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 pm

william wrote:
in a go around like that are the spoilers manually stowed ? Isn't there a TOGA button on the throttle?

I asked about the spoilers because I read the report on the AA 757 that crashed in the mountains in South America and it stated had the spoilers been stowed they would have cleared the mountain when the pilot tried to climb. With ground spoilers deployed one is not going flying.

On the ground the speed brakes will retract when the t/l are advanced. Not so in the air.

At least on the 767/757.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

WPvsMW

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm

I think emiratesdriver's remark about the PF being demoted was about the 521 incident, not about the NCL rejected landing in the vid.

emiratesdriver

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
I think emiratesdriver's remark about the PF being demoted was about the 521 incident, not about the NCL rejected landing in the vid.

Incorrect, the NCL skipper was dead-headed back to DXB the next day and is currently offline pending consequences.

WPvsMW

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

Incorrect, the NCL skipper was dead-headed back to DXB the next day and is currently offline pending consequences.

Thanks for the correction... what a draconian management decision.

eamondzhang

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

Welcome to ME3 and EK/QR are especially known to these treatments.

Michae

StTim

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

Welcome to ME3 and EK/QR are especially known to these treatments.

Michae

Crazy - what was he supposed to do? Go ahead with a landing he felt at PIC was unsafe? What message does that send to Emirates pilots?

Armodeen

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:33 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
wingman wrote:
kiowa wrote:

What? That is pretty shocking. The importance of an actual no blame culture doesn't need repeating I suppose. This sort of thing concerns me when I am choosing airlines.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

Sounds like old school pilot pushing to me. No thanks. Too many good jobs available elsewhere these days.

EChid

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 am

enilria wrote:
The runway is 7600 feet long. Very unusual that taking back off would be the best option.

My understanding is that the decision to go around isn't solely based on the ability to stop, but also on the ability to actually get the plane down without causing damage/injury.

eimratesdriver wrote:
Post 521 the airline is petrified of any landing/aborted landing incidents

I don't understand this. Why would they be any more concerned about this than any other type of incident? 521 was a go-around gone wrong which, from what I can tell, occurred because the pilots weren't appropriately trained/knowledgeable about the aircraft. It's EK's job to fix this, and if they were confident they had done so they shouldn't be punished for executing the same (perfectly normal/acceptable) maneuver without issue.

WPvsMW wrote:

Ugh, if this is true that's pretty ugly. Too bad they're reporting on the go-around, not the practices of EK. EK's choosing optics and money over safety, and that's not the type of airline I would want to fly on.

One question EK might consider: How many accidents have been or could have been avoided with a successful go-around than with the decision not to? I can think of two without much effort: AC759 and AF358.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

SurlyBonds

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 am

emiratesdriver wrote:

So that there's no misunderstanding: are you an Emirates employee, and do you know this for a fact? Because your language is quite inflammatory (in other posts as well; "Arab mentality" and such), rather than matter-of-fact.

zeke

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 am

emiratesdriver wrote:

Absolutely appalling. Just goes to show however that people who rush to get their $100 fee of CNN for some video they shot, or to be the first to make a thread on a site like this can in effect cause the pilot who made a judgement call for safety is probably going to be fired. Nothing wrong with rejected landings, it is a standard published procedure, done them myself.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

SonomaFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:55 am

Cunard wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Lightsaber

Exactly well in saying that Lightsaber and the fact that this is obviously a pointless thread as we're all agreed that there is nothing unusual to see here couldn't you use your higher powers as a Moderator in actually locking this thread as too many of these types of threads are appearing on a.net recently and with the height of winter approaching there is also bound to be similar pointless weather related threads!

How about if you don't care for the thread, you don't read it. This is an aviation enthusiast website. That means folks are welcome to post things like this even in winter when there are go-arounds at NCL.

Airlinerdude

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:01 am

zeke wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

Absolutely appalling. Just goes to show however that people who rush to get their $100 fee of CNN for some video they shot, or to be the first to make a thread on a site like this can in effect cause the pilot who made a judgement call for safety is probably going to be fired. Nothing wrong with rejected landings, it is a standard published procedure, done them myself.

To be fair, this actually made the front page of 'The National' in the UAE on December 2nd before I saw it posted anywhere else.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/watch-em ... s-1.798189

But absolutely agree that it's unfortunate. This has been the norm at EK for quite some time - it's all about the image.

RyanairGuru

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

Airlinerdude wrote:
zeke wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

To be fair, this actually made the front page of 'The National' in the UAE on December 2nd before I saw it posted anywhere else.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/watch-em ... s-1.798189

But absolutely agree that it's unfortunate. This has been the norm at EK for quite some time - it's all about the image.

Because a runway excursion, or worse, is a much better image than a run-of-the-mill go around?!?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

B777LRF

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 am

william wrote:

Spoilers armed for landing will automatically restow when power is applied, either manually or via TOGA switches. Flew with several captains who used throttle levers to cancel and restow spoilers after landing, but the vast majority would manually select them down via the spoiler lever.
Signature. You just read one.

TOGA10

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:27 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

You're kidding... that is absolutely horrible. Pilots should never be punished for making the safe decision. Write a report, bit of investigating for statistics and if necessary an update to procedure and/or training and that should be it.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

Airbus747

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am

EChid wrote:
Too bad they're reporting on the go-around, not the practices of EK. EK's choosing optics and money over safety, and that's not the type of airline I would want to fly on.

It's a pattern in Middle Eastern or Arab (and their money-driven supporters) culture.

Think Saudi Prince Salmon and Khashoggi.

JoeCanuck

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 am

I'm one that doesn't think this is a pointless thread. Go arounds seem unnecessarily controversial and the more the public gets to see them, the better they may be understood. It really doesn't help having MEDIOTS getting hysterical with anything aeronautical.

I 100% support pilots going around if they feel that continuing the landing is unsafe. As if there wasn't enough pressure on pilots to make a puke free landing under rough conditions...they also have to perform a safety/cost ratio analysis and hope if they do go around, they won't get punished for it.

Continuing the approach and attempting a landing when they should have gone around has contributed to more than a few disasters.

Rather than being perceived as a mistake, to my mind, a go around is a sign of good airmanship. I think it's especially gutsy if the wheels are already on the ground and the natural instinct is to slam on the brakes.

Nicely done.
What the...?

sevenair

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:34 am

I can't believe a baulked landing has made it around the globe. What a sad reflection on today's media. Still it got little old Newcastle in the press I suppose.
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

sevenair

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
wingman wrote:
kiowa wrote:
most rejected landings occur be
fore nosewheel touchdown. something spooked the pilots.

This is exactly what pilots leaving good secure jobs in the UK, the EU and beyond need to realise. The only just culture in the sandpit is 'just don't blame a local' and if you take a decision expect the consequences to be severe. Being flown back to base and on no fly is disgusting.
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

mjoelnir

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am

Is this handling of the incident by Emirates regarding the pilot confirmed, or is it just the grumbling of an Emirates adversary?

a350lover

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:28 am

It looks like a rather late go around.

Unusual? Extreme? Dramatic? Safe? We don't know. Emirates don't know. Pilots onboard that jet they DO know!

We often feel aviation is rather a computered field. However, aviation isn't exactly science, and thank God pilots like those onboard that 777 work for us.

cougar15

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

Exactly, but thats what you get with non flying higher management and compliant expat puppet individuals. Add into the mix the Arab mentality of punishment and guilty till proven innocent, then you can begin to understand why EK cant recruit and are struggling to retain experienced aviators.

I thought the Skipper of EK521 is now in ´early retirement´, even as a local )?
Anyway, good decisions on the part of this Jockey I would think, nothing wrong with the chosen GA here, and (as you and I will agree), even at EK and the reactive investigation and ´interesting local standards´, there is nothing to grizzle about here!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

cougar15

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:39 am

mjoelnir wrote:
Is this handling of the incident by Emirates regarding the pilot confirmed, or is it just the grumbling of an Emirates adversary?

I think this has been resolved without any impact for the crew involved, as there is nothing to discuss here, other than very good CRM in difficult circumstances !
some you lose, others you can´t win!

EChid

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 pm

JoeCanuck wrote:
I'm one that doesn't think this is a pointless thread. Go arounds seem unnecessarily controversial and the more the public gets to see them, the better they may be understood. It really doesn't help having MEDIOTS getting hysterical with anything aeronautical.

I 100% support pilots going around if they feel that continuing the landing is unsafe. As if there wasn't enough pressure on pilots to make a puke free landing under rough conditions...they also have to perform a safety/cost ratio analysis and hope if they do go around, they won't get punished for it.

Continuing the approach and attempting a landing when they should have gone around has contributed to more than a few disasters.

Rather than being perceived as a mistake, to my mind, a go around is a sign of good airmanship. I think it's especially gutsy if the wheels are already on the ground and the natural instinct is to slam on the brakes.

Nicely done.

And yet your response to the 'useless' thread is 4 paragraphs long ;) I'm teasing, but I think you see the value of it it given your response.

The event itself is not newsworthy, but the fact that it was made into news and that EK has apparently taken disciplinary action against the pilot is worthy of discussion. If true, it's totally ridiculous.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

ranbidaraxflo

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm

A good decision!! Glad it's worked out ok for the captain. In my experience a good portion of heavy go arounds are close to the runway and involve a touch and go.
Not for the same reason but it wouldn't have been the first heavy to go off piste at Newcastle!!

f4f3a

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:41 pm

It’s hard to see from the video . Maybe something else happened ? Did it go off the side of the runway ? Or maybe the go around was not flown correctly . I can’t see why else there would be an issue . This would seem very extreme measure to demote the Captain . The other reason could be if he was being trained and other areas was found lacking .

gkirk

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:10 pm

ranbidaraxflo wrote:
A good decision!! Glad it's worked out ok for the captain. In my experience a good portion of heavy go arounds are close to the runway and involve a touch and go.
Not for the same reason but it wouldn't have been the first heavy to go off piste at Newcastle!!

What heavy has previously gone off at NCL?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EZEflyerEMB

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 pm

I was in the terminal building at EGNT when this occurred. The aircraft had a fairly stable approach given the conditions, however, they overshot the touchdown markers by a few hundred feet. All gears hit the tarmac, then the go around was initiated. Right decision as for those who do not know EGNT at the western end of 25 or start of 07 however you look at it, there is a major road the A696 and the Metro light rail system.

If what is said about Emirates pilots being retrained or punished for go arounds, its a damn good thing they don't run/control an airline flying into Shetland, where go arounds are more common than at Funchal.

Dominion301

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm

EChid wrote:
enilria wrote:
One question EK might consider: How many accidents have been or could have been avoided with a successful go-around than with the decision not to? I can think of two without much effort: AC759 and AF358.

How about WS at SXM early this year and AI at HKG earlier this week! Compare that with Air Niugini. What would you rather have? I get the impression EK doesn't like the safe option?

emiratesdriver

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
EChid wrote:
enilria wrote:

How about WS at SXM early this year and AI at HKG earlier this week! Compare that with Air Niugini. What would you rather have? I get the impression EK doesn't like the safe option?

Safe options are a movable feast at EK. Far safer for the locals to fire or intimidate rather than move into the late 20th century with good corporate governance and employee relations. What a shame.

WPvsMW

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:01 am

"... move into the late 20th century..." :lol: :lol:

travaz

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:01 am

You can find the entire video on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3ctzpzm48 The gentleman's name is Johnathan Winton. He has several excellent crosswind videos that make this look like child's play. Check out his videos for some really good action.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos