hayzel777
Topic Author
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 am

Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 pm

A Norwegian 789 departing LGW-EZE started their takeoff roll at the landing displaced threshold instead of the beginning of the runway on the standby runway(26R). AAIB notes that "the distance did not meet regulatory requirements" and engine failure on V1 would've resulted in a catastrophic event if the crew decided to stop or continue. AAIB also cites the lack of lighting and awkward lineup as reasoning.

This is the 4th incident since September 2017 with the threshold and wrong takeoff points on the standby runway at night.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c135b66&opt=0
 
rbavfan
Posts: 2631
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
A Norwegian 789 departing LGW-EZE started their takeoff roll at the landing displaced threshold instead of the beginning of the runway on the standby runway(26R). AAIB notes that "the distance did not meet regulatory requirements" and engine failure on V1 would've resulted in a catastrophic event if the crew decided to stop or continue. AAIB also cites the lack of lighting and awkward lineup as reasoning.

This is the 4th incident since September 2017 with the threshold and wrong takeoff points on the standby runway at night.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c135b66&opt=0



4th incident with Norwegian or 4th incident multiple carriers. It would make a big difference showing an Airline training issue or an airport markings issue.
 
User avatar
817Dreamliiner
Posts: 3502
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:53 pm

rbavfan wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
A Norwegian 789 departing LGW-EZE started their takeoff roll at the landing displaced threshold instead of the beginning of the runway on the standby runway(26R). AAIB notes that "the distance did not meet regulatory requirements" and engine failure on V1 would've resulted in a catastrophic event if the crew decided to stop or continue. AAIB also cites the lack of lighting and awkward lineup as reasoning.

This is the 4th incident since September 2017 with the threshold and wrong takeoff points on the standby runway at night.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c135b66&opt=0



4th incident with Norwegian or 4th incident multiple carriers. It would make a big difference showing an Airline training issue or an airport markings issue.


it mentions in the link:

Gatwick reports indicated there had been at least four incidents, involving multiple operators, between September 2017 and this incident involving G-CKWC.
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!
 
User avatar
NYPECO
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Why can't they takeoff from the displaced threshold? I thought those were for taking off and not landing.
 
Eikie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:06 pm

NYPECO wrote:
Why can't they takeoff from the displaced threshold? I thought those were for taking off and not landing.

A displaced threshold is almost always for landing. I.e., the airplane can't land in front of it.
You can depart from a position in front of the displaced threshold (in most situations).

The problem in this case was probably that the takeoff calculations were done for the full length, but due too reasons they took a wrong line up point resulting in a shorter runway available.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 16140
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Departing from the displaced threshold on 26R at LGW results in a runway that's about 1,400ft shorter than using the full length.

Given it's happened multiple times to different airlines, it seems like the airport needs to fix something quickly.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 2631
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Norwegian 789 Takesoff From Wrong Point at LGW

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm

817Dreamliiner wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
A Norwegian 789 departing LGW-EZE started their takeoff roll at the landing displaced threshold instead of the beginning of the runway on the standby runway(26R). AAIB notes that "the distance did not meet regulatory requirements" and engine failure on V1 would've resulted in a catastrophic event if the crew decided to stop or continue. AAIB also cites the lack of lighting and awkward lineup as reasoning.

This is the 4th incident since September 2017 with the threshold and wrong takeoff points on the standby runway at night.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c135b66&opt=0



4th incident with Norwegian or 4th incident multiple carriers. It would make a big difference showing an Airline training issue or an airport markings issue.


it mentions in the link:

Gatwick reports indicated there had been at least four incidents, involving multiple operators, between September 2017 and this incident involving G-CKWC.


So now that I've read the entire report to find that answer. It is an airports issue, not Norweigans training. Mind you I did not need the 10 sections that had nothing to do with the comment I made. Would have been easy to say "multiple airlines" in your reply as you already knew the answer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos