Konstantinos
Topic Author

What Would You Do If You Were Hijacked?

Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:32 am

I would like to know from all of you, as a pilot of an aircraft, if it were hijacked would any of you try and do something about it ?

flightsimfreak

RE: What Would You Do If You Were Hijacked?

Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:56 am

DUH! Hell yes... I'm not just going to sit back and let some Islamic radical psyco fly my plane into some landmark. The only way you could get me to not try to help the flight crew and take down the intruder is if you killed me. As a pilot, if there were other able-bodied men on the plane, and the hijacker(s) had killed the pilot, I would probably organize them to attack, then fly the plane...

NWA742

Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:02 am

Fight back and probably kill them.
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Herman

Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:43 am

FlightSimFreak,

Keep religion out of this. That's not nice. Thank you !

Anyway,

I'll probabaly, join the hijackers. Quite Cool. Big grin

Yea, right

Cheers,
Herman  Smokin cool

BlatantEcho

Sat Mar 16, 2002 3:08 am

The only thing everyone, EVERYONE should now be completely sure of, is fighting back is 100% mandatory of ALL pax should a plane be hijacked.

This is why I will continue to argue that our current securtiy of taking toe-nail clippers is simply inefficent, if any less than insane.

No longer can we assume hijackers just want to use the people on board as "diplomatic" hostages, we must assume are lives are to be used as instruments of death, and passengers must never accept this.

I hope to God every person who ever gets on a plane anywhere in the world now knows this, and is willing to put their life at stake to save the lives of others on the plane, and on the ground. It is of paramount importance, and I feel comfortable that most Amercians at least, are willing and able.
They're not handing trophies out today

Konstantinos
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:03 am

I'm glad to see that you would fight back but what is it that you would exactly do ?

toady

Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:12 am

OK, let's assume the hijackers want to fly the plane into a building. To use us as instruments of death.

How exactly are they going to do that? How are they going to gain entry to the flightdeck?

If I'm ever on board a hijacked plane, I'll sit tight & do whatever I'm told to do.
If, by some occurrence, the hijackers gain entry to the flightdeck, I'll be one of those who fight back.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:28 am

If i've got a gun sticking on to my head by a hijacker, then there's not much you can do, BUT, if for example, like sep 11th, the hijackers had boxcutters, or knives, then i'd definitely do something. What i would exactly do, depends on the situation and circumstances.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

Greg

Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:35 am

Use a flight attendant as a shield and storm them.

Ok..just kidding.

FrequentFlyKid

Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:45 am

I don't understand the reason for the question. Do you really think anyone is going to say that they wouldn't do anything?

SJCguy

Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:58 am

I'd say a prayer and try to tie them up, put them in front of the window exit and open her up...

SJCguy

lapper

Sat Mar 16, 2002 5:15 am

Hi,
I think everyone will say that they would do something, but what would REALLY go through your mind being in that sort of situation? We all say "I'd do this, I'd do that" but in reality, most of us would probably be scared sh*tless at the thought of storming a hijacker, to end up having your throat slit and bleeding to death on the floor of an aircraft. I'd like to think that I would be brave enough to have a go, especially after 9-11, just on the off-chance that you could make a difference. Then again, you wouldn't know what the mentality of these guys are. They might not want to fly the plane into a building. Would you not just sit there and pray, hoping that if you stay calm and not try and antagonise them that you might just end up walking off the plane alive?

Matt

DCA-ROCguy

Sat Mar 16, 2002 5:20 am

I would cooperate with the flight crew to subdue the hijackers, even if it meant possibly getting killed, or killing the hijackers. There is nothing to lose, since we would all die anyway. The only chance of saving thousands of people on the ground, let alone ourselves, is to fight. I see it as an air traveler's responsibility these days.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

portcolumbus

Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:11 am

Sure, it's probably easy to say you would fight back in the comforts of your own home, but I'd bet you would be scared stiff in that situation. I'm not sure what I would do, I'd probably sit back until a bunch of other people started fighting back.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:17 am

Yeah ofcourse it's easy to sit at home and say all this, but obviously i would be frightened to death in a situation like that, but, wouldn't you rather do something and take action (with the help of others) than just sit there frozen in terror?

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

Emirates Skies

Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:20 am

I'll just stay mum and do nothing... I mean I do as I am told, just like a sheep (for once!). I won't try anything funny.

Emirates Skies
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

portcolumbus

Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:24 am

I honestly couldn't tell you what I'd do.. Fighting back is the best thing, and probably a course of action I would HAVE to take. I agree DCA-ROC, the passengers should have to do anything in their power to prevent another attack with an airliner.

DCA-ROCguy

Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:45 am

Yes, it is easier to say these things at the comfort of our computer terminals. But I like to think that I'd respond to the situation properly, and fight back. I would go so far as to say the passengers have a moral obligation to fight back, because their plane is being seized to be used for mass murder.

Remember, the 9/11 hijackers told the other pax that the planes were being taken hostage, and that the authorities "have our demands" and that "we are going back to the airport." I would rather die of knife wounds trying to break some #&$#@ Saudi militant's neck, than sit back and let another 9/11 happen.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Emirates Skies

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:01 am

Why 'Saudi'? Are you referring to Bin Laden, or what?
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

cedarjet

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:09 am

Let's roll.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

777-200

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:17 am

If I was the Pilot I'd Take that Emegency Axe in the Cockpit and well..... I think you get the idea Big grin
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

jhooper

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:23 am

I would stab them with my....oh, wait a minute, the feds took all our weapons away.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

yyz717

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:46 am

Actually, no one knows how they would act.

When faced with a truly life threatening situation, many so-called 'brawny' or macho guys collapse in a fit of emotions, while some non-assuming types end up being heroes.

How we would act is not known to any of us. It's hidden deep in our psychy. Quietly confident analytical types (who can very well be physically weak) can be more reliable 'heroes' than the emotional, testosterone-driven alpha-males who like to think of themselves as potential heroes. No one really knows until they're in the situation.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Konstantinos
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:48 am

As a passenger I would do nothing, or try and do nothing. My question was as a pilot of the aircraft.

One of the things that I would do is dump all the fuel. This why the plane will come down, just have to find a good enough place to land it. I think it's a chance that I would take. Infact this might get the hijackers s*****g bricks.

OzarkD9S

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:23 am

F*CK those turds! I'ld fight back, better to go out with some dignity!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

eugdog

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:39 am

Do Nothing! Are you mad! You must fight back!!! Even if the terrorist were not planning mass suicide there is a very good chance the plane will be shot down!! The best think to is a mass charge - the terrorst will be overcome by sheer wieght of numbers!!!

The passengers of UA 93 resisted - it is their example we must follow!

Samurai 777

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:21 am

I'd rather go down fighting then kowtow to the demands of any bastard who thinks he can play God with some 200 people on board with gun and explosives! I view dying without doing anything about it as very dishonorable. I honor the passengers and crew of UA93!

But people do react differently to any life-threatening situation. Yyz717's got a point here. I've seen guy who look macho actually break down in the face of very tough situations. I, however, am more of an "unassuming" type of guy who can deal with adverse situations in a unemotional manner. I know, because I was damn well near mugged - in broad daylight!

lewis

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:23 am

Choke them with my headphone cord!

david b.

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:35 am

The best thing to do in this situation is to quickly joint the AAKC.  Big thumbs up

Anti-hijack Ass-Kicking Commitee
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

GD727

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:39 am

What do you think I would do? I 'd kick the hijacker's ass!!!  Big thumbs up
Mmmm forbidden donut.

FedExHeavy

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:25 am

I would do something about it, even if it means giving my life, it used to be the hijackers took the planes to a third world nation and demanded extradition for one of there captured buddies for the passengers, however after 9/11 the stakes were raised and a whole new system arose, you can't take any chances. I believe the flying public realizes this and something like 9/11 will hopefully be avoided by interfernece from the passengers and events like that have happened from the UA B752 that crashed Penn. to the other incidents that have happend on planes after 9/11. Without hessitation I would try to stop them, even if it means the ultimate sacrafice.
Have a nice day Smile/happy/getting dizzy
FedExHeavy
So far this is the oldest I've been.

toady

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:33 am

How the hell are the hijackers going to fly the plane into a building?
Aren't all flightdeck doors now intruder proof? If not, why not?

In effect, 9/11 has not raised the stakes; the chance of that kind of hijacking occurring again is minimal.

CcrlR

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:57 am

I would do the same thing that everyone said. Fight Back! It used to be where they just took people as hostages now it's for destruction and death. America's Most Wanted had something on what do to when terrorist hijack a plane like what to use and do when that happens.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Setjet

Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:38 am

There are so many ways to fight back:
Smashing their heads with a fire extinguisher or giving them a load of foam, kick their asses with a 300lbs trolley filled with soft drinks, boil them with some freshly brewed coffee, force them to read some inflight magazines, I think you get the idea!

Konstantinos
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:54 am

>Setjet< "force them to read some inflight magazines..."

That's a good one!

Greg

Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:11 am

You could capture them and make them eat the meals.
Does the Geneva convention prevent this?

Setjet

Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:22 am

Greg, don't go to far!
Forcing them to eat the meals is pretty unfair, don't you think?

Innocent

milemaster

Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:08 am

I'm still laughing at Greg's 1st post on this thread.

Those of you who were present on the "what about the crew?" thread know.

One of the best threads ever.. I had your back!

Anyway, what would I do if the flight I were on were hijacked by terrorists?

I would most likely ram my fist so hard through each of their chests it would come out their backs, shattering the spinal cord along the way.

I would then probably rip out each of their Adams apples (see movie: Roadhouse) with my bare hands and show it to them as they die quivering in the aisle.

Lastly, I would place the bodies in coach to rot for the remaining duration of the flight by the rest of the trash in coach.

Haha.. J/K

milemaster

Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:35 am

haha.. I am still laughing