Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shamrock350

Re: Irish 1/19 : New year, new ... us!

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 pm

The new livery has apparently leaked, it's appeared on other websites and social media.

The new shamrock and the titles are a complete mess in my opinion, it feels childish and dated at the same time. I'm not bothered about the overall design, it's what I expected but the logo is a major letdown and ruins the "fresh" look. It's not confirmed to be official or the final design choice so lets hope some final alterations were made before sending aircraft into the hanger!

shamrock604

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
The new livery has apparently leaked, it's appeared on other websites and social media.

The new shamrock and the titles are a complete mess in my opinion, it feels childish and dated at the same time. I'm not bothered about the overall design, it's what I expected but the logo is a major letdown and ruins the "fresh" look. It's not confirmed to be official or the final design choice so lets hope some final alterations were made before sending aircraft into the hanger!

I wouldn’t believe a word of it. I’m willing to bet that wasn’t leaked - it was put out deliberately. EI have become quite the experts at social media manipulation (look for example at the tedious build up to a new US destination being announced, with leaks and counter leaks and all sorts of speculation. I must say - they are really are playing their audience spectacularly well this time - but if that’s the REAL new livery, I will actually eat my hat or other assorted item of clothing. Not buying it. But at the same time, somewhat praying I’m right....

eirflot

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Keep praying
That looks.......starts with s and ends with e!!!!!
I know it was stated that the current shamrock always looks pissed but lord help us the leaked version looks in the final stages of alcoholic death!!!!

conflats

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:06 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

The logo looks awful, it's like the used a few loveheart emojis coloured green, the Aer Lingus titles seems too small for all the white and I think personally the engines need some kind of a logo.

As another poster said it could be getting 'leaked' to build anticipation, but I guess we will have to wait until the 17th and see

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

ClassicLover

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:31 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

It's pretty much what I would have expected it to look like. There's not much else you can do while keeping the Shamrock. It reminds me a lot of what Qantas have done with the Kangaroo changing over the years. Each new livery is a change in font for the airline name and a tweak to the kangaroo, so I'm not surprised Aer Lingus has done something similar.

I'm sure it'll look decent enough on the aircraft.

mast2407

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 pm

I vomited a little in my mouth when I saw the hearty shamrocks.
Please, dear, kind, wonderfully marvelous Aer Lingus management, let this not be the winner.
Part of me was expecting it though. It ties in nicely with Iberia.

embraer420

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

That's probably not the exact livery, but it's awful. The logo is much worse than the current one. It does feel dated and they're removing the iconic green from the fuselage, which is a disaster. Aer Lingus is no longer the Irish flag carrier, just another boring modern European airline.... Although it's been going that way for ages...

Skyblue39

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Absolutely horrendous and childish. The shamrock is bloody destroyed. Who could have thought this is acceptable???

Qantas59

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Does anyone on here know when Dublin's beautiful Central Terminal that was built in 1942 ceased functioning as an aircraft terminal. Thank you.

OA260

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Does anyone on here know when Dublin's beautiful Central Terminal that was built in 1942 ceased functioning as an aircraft terminal. Thank you.

By the late 1950s, the original terminal was incapable of handling growing passenger numbers, so the new North Terminal was opened in June 1959. Originally it had been planned that this building would handle all US and European flights, but instead it became the arrivals area for all passengers.

By the 1960s, new departure gate piers were added adjacent to the old terminal to cope with larger aircraft. However it soon it became apparent that the original terminal building could no longer cope with passenger demand. Work began in 1971 on a new terminal building designed to cater for an exp

www.dublinairport.com/about-us/did-you-know/history

Qantas59

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Cheers OA260, I searched an image on google earth from 2006 and saw what appeared to be a few 737s parked in front of the 1942 terminal as Pier D was under construction. Thought it might have been utilized then? Perhaps it was just overflow parking. Thanks again.

EI321

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 am

I can remember boarding a ryanair 737-200 from the ground floor of the 1942 terminal around 1999. I think it was used up to the point that pier D was built?

Galwayman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:07 am

The shade of dark green is excellent and the Euro white always looks good . Shamrock is Meh , was controversial last time around too .

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 am

EI321 wrote:
I can remember boarding a ryanair 737-200 from the ground floor of the 1942 terminal around 1999. I think it was used up to the point that pier D was built?

I think you're right; I boarded from one of those gates but it was probably around the late 1990s too. The gates are still there and numbered 217-219, but no computers or any boarding equipment. I walk through there every morning on the way to work! Still amazes me how small the old terminal is, but what a beautiful building it is!

AmricanShamrok

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Helvetic Airways is pulling its seasonal weekly ZRH-SNN route. It operated for four years (2014-2018). I suspect Swiss' ZRH-ORK route had an impact on it.

OA260

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:38 pm

kaitak wrote:
EI321 wrote:

I think you're right; I boarded from one of those gates but it was probably around the late 1990s too. The gates are still there and numbered 217-219, but no computers or any boarding equipment. I walk through there every morning on the way to work! Still amazes me how small the old terminal is, but what a beautiful building it is!

Actually that small area for the over flow gates was being used in March 2010 when I flew EI Regional DUB-GLA.

CFNFlyer

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm

You can walk through the whole building on google street view

https://goo.gl/maps/59kgE481jv62

LH982

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 pm

kaitak wrote:
EI321 wrote:

It was removed from use when the new terminal was built, and didn't really handle aircraft in the 70s or 80s. The old A gates were also redundant for most of this time, with passengers being bussed to the aircraft.

It was used again in the 90s at the same time as portakabin world was in use and was also the walkway to this area. As EI321 said, dropped again once Pier D opened.

eirflot

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 pm

A little surprised that there is little discussion on the flybe/stobart/virgin tie up and any consequences it might have for EI and trans Atlantic connecting traffic. Also the possibility if VS having access to EI information

ClassicLover

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm

eirflot wrote:
A little surprised that there is little discussion on the flybe/stobart/virgin tie up and any consequences it might have for EI and trans Atlantic connecting traffic. Also the possibility if VS having access to EI information

Probably because it specifically states in all the releases that there will be no change to Stobart's existing franchise operations. Therefore, there will be no impact at all to these services.

eirflot

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:17 pm

So they asked EI if it was okay! I was thiking more of all the possiboe feeder services to VS at MAN and London. I was also thinking of the Sky report that suggested Stobart would take over operational control of flybe which would add complications for the EI arrangement
I don't believe in Chinese walls!!!!

shamrock350

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 pm

The franchise deal is up for grabs again in 2022, Stobart recently requested a three year extension on the contract with Aer Lingus but I'm not sure if that happened. The franchise with Aer Lingus is the only thing thats kept Stobart going over the years, every other experiment of theirs has been a failure; Flybe at SEN and the CityJet merger for example.

The newly formed regional group consisting of CityJet and Air Nostrum will be tough competition for Stobart, their startup Hibernian Airlines received its AOC just a few days ago and is expected to be the operator bidding for the Aer Lingus Regional contract.

eirflot

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm

I think Stobart are in the VS mix because there is uncertainty in the EI arrangement going forward. I think Hibernian will bid for EI regional services. I assume cityjet can explain away it's SSJ issues by then. While I like the SSJ I was surprised that cityjet did not insist on a shed full of spare parts. Almost every Russian airliner designed lacked spare parts almost as if the Russians expected the original to last for ever!

ClassicLover

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm

eirflot wrote:
I think Stobart are in the VS mix because there is uncertainty in the EI arrangement going forward. I think Hibernian will bid for EI regional services. I assume cityjet can explain away it's SSJ issues by then. While I like the SSJ I was surprised that cityjet did not insist on a shed full of spare parts. Almost every Russian airliner designed lacked spare parts almost as if the Russians expected the original to last for ever!

It really is the major thing that screws up the Russian aircraft industry, that lack of spare parts. It's a real shame, because they generally have decent enough aircraft. Hopefully one day we will see the Russians become a real competitor to the Airbus and Boeing duopoly.

OA260

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 pm

eirflot wrote:

It will be interesting to see what evolves if this deal does go ahead. Currently VS rely on EI to feed MAN LHR LGW TATL. Looking at their press release they specify Ireland in addition to the UK Regional airports that they intend to target to feed the TATL. VS pick up a lot of Irish - USA traffic currently.

eirflot

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Last year it was announced that LH were adding a 5th daily to Frankfurt. It was loaded for bookings after March but now I can't find it
Anyone know anything?

OA260

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

eirflot wrote:
Last year it was announced that LH were adding a 5th daily to Frankfurt. It was loaded for bookings after March but now I can't find it
Anyone know anything?

Seems axed. It was to operate from start of Winter timetable daily except Saturdays leaving DUB at 14:00. Maybe they were not getting the numbers expected.

Pe@rson

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm

eirflot wrote:

I'm not surprised: this is, after all, the EIFC page. :D

eirflot

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Not all of us!

AmricanShamrok

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 pm

I see EI is using 757s on the EI125/EI124 DUB-ORD rotation on certain days of the week. This is the longest 757 route for EI to date. Hopefully those notorious winter headwinds on the Atlantic don’t cause issues as I imagine the route comes close to the range limitations of the 752 fully loaded.

eirflot

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 am

Those 757s have certainly come in handy! And they seem to ve wuite reliable
And chance ASL will bid for the EI regional flying?

Just remembered Pe@rson are you not the founding member of the FRFC?

:hissyfit:

DalRiada

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am

Is the AF 777 in on a medical/tech diversion?

OA260

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am

DUBLIN AIRPORT WAS fined €600,000 in 2018 over delays experienced by passengers getting through security.

The airport was penalised by the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) for four breaches of the maximum security queue time.

This is the highest number of breaches recorded at the airport since 2013.

www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-securi ... 0-Jan2019/

EI121

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am

Dublin Airport Sets New Passenger Record

Dublin Airport welcomed a total of 31.5 million passengers during 2018, setting a new record for the airport.

Passenger numbers were up 6%, as the equivalent of more than five times the population of the island of Ireland used Dublin Airport last year. An additional 1.9 million passengers were welcomed at the airport during 2018.

About 29.4 million people started and ended their journey at Dublin Airport last year, while a further 2.1 million passengers used the airport as a hub. Short-haul traffic increased by 5% to 26.5 million, while long-haul passenger numbers increased by 15% to 5 million.

Traffic growth was underpinned by a strong performance from transatlantic and other long-haul routes, coupled with healthy growth in continental European traffic and the continued expansion of Dublin Airport as a significant gateway between North America and Europe.

“Dublin Airport enjoyed its eighth consecutive year of passenger growth in 2018 and I’d like to thank the travelling public, our airline customers, our staff and the staff of all the other companies at the airport for helping to generate yet another record year,” said Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison.

“Dublin Airport is a key economic engine for Ireland and last year’s traffic growth helped deliver a record year for Irish tourism, bringing additional jobs and tourism spending throughout the island,” Mr Harrison added.

“Dublin Airport’s record passenger numbers also boosted Irish trade and exports and helped facilitate greater levels of foreign direct investment in Ireland and by Irish companies overseas. Air connectivity is essential for the Irish economy and the provision of new and expanded services at Dublin Airport benefits the entire country.”

Continental European traffic, which is Dublin Airport’s largest market, increased by 7% last year, as almost 16.3 million passengers took flights to and from continental European destinations.

UK traffic increased by 1%, with almost 10.1 million passengers travelling to and from UK airports last year. UK traffic growth has been sluggish for the past two years due to the weakness of sterling amid concerns about the impact of Brexit on the UK economy.

Transatlantic traffic increased by 16%, as Dublin Airport recorded more than 4 million annual passengers on North American routes for the first time. Transatlantic traffic has doubled since 2014. Other international traffic, which includes flights to Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, increased by 17% to just over 1 million.

Dublin Airport continued to strengthen its position as a key gateway between Europe and North America, with transfer passenger numbers increasing by 18% to 1.8 million last year. A new €16 million dedicated transfer facility was opened during the year, to help expand this business. A further 240,000 passengers transited through Dublin last year – i.e. they passed through the airport but did not change planes.

There were 16 new routes at Dublin Airport last year – including new services to Beijing, Hong Kong, Montreal, and Seattle – and capacity increases on 22 existing services, as airlines added flights and deployed larger aircraft on some of their Dublin routes.

This year, Dublin Airport will welcome 19 new routes. New long-haul destinations include Calgary, Dallas-Fort Worth, Minneapolis-St Paul, and Hamilton, Ontario. The short-haul network is also expanding, with scheduled flights to new destinations such as the Sardinian capital Cagliari, Kyiv, and Gothenburg.

Since 2014, annual passenger numbers at Dublin Airport have increased by 45% from 21.7 million to 31.5 million making it one of the fastest-growing large airports in Europe during that period.

To help cope with this huge growth in traffic and to also enable the airport to expand to handle 40 million passengers per year, daa is currently consulting on a major capital investment programme.

The centrepiece of the plan is a €900 million capital investment programme to deliver new boarding gate areas, aircraft parking stands and many other significant improvements. The plan also includes about €200 million in airfield works and annual investment of about €120 on repair and maintenance and revenue generating projects.

These investments will be made at no cost to the State, as while daa is State-owned, it is not funded by the taxpayer. There will also be no charge to airport users as under daa’s proposals, airport charges will remain flat during the forthcoming regulatory period.

Dublin Airport is one of the most important economic assets in the country. It supports or facilitates 117,300 jobs and contributes €8.3 billion annually to the national economy.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... r-record-2

OA260

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Sun comes down on Ryanair Holidays as airline closes service
Ryanair’s packaged holidays service has been discontinued after just two years

Ryanair aim to become the “Amazon. com of travel” has suffered a blow after the company announced it had shuttered its package holiday service just two years after it launched.

A note from the company on its website said Ryanair Holidays is discontinuing its service.

“Going forward, it is no longer possible to book a package on Ryanair Holidays. However, all previous bookings are unaffected and will be fulfilled as planned,” the company said.

Ryanair launched its package holiday service in December 206 to take on tour operators such as TUI by offering flights with accommodation and transfers as a bundle.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 3?mode=amp

eirflot

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am

The calm before the storm - what time is the EI presentation scheduled for?

alancostello

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm

eirflot wrote:
The calm before the storm - what time is the EI presentation scheduled for?

Tomorrow, 2pm I believe? Supposedly they’ll be streaming it on Facebook from the early afternoon.

EI321

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Coverage starting at 12.30 tomorrow

Their website appears to be down at the moment.

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm

EI321 wrote:
Coverage starting at 12.30 tomorrow

Their website appears to be down at the moment.

Yes, their Facebook page has it up at 12:30 GMT tomorrow.

There's an event thing there, so I hope to check it out. It should be interesting :)

OA260

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:20 pm

IAA to run aircraft satellite alert system

Deployment of a major new global aircraft-tracking satellite system, a component of which will be operated from Co Clare by the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA), was completed at the weekend by US firm Aireon.

The IAA will operate the system's Aircraft Location and Emergency Response Tracking (Alert) function.

That will provide a free, public service to airlines, and search-and-rescue services, to help pinpoint the last known location of aircraft and track them globally. The IAA is a shareholder in Aireon.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/iaa-t ... 10472.html

OA260

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

eirflot

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Unremarkable
Uninteresting
Clean and simple
And totally un-noticeable
Cheap as hell to paint though!

OA260

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Eirules

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 pm

I don’t think the tail element is too bad and I like the new shamrock. It might look better on an A320 where there’s less fuselage and therefore less white versus titles

OA260

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 pm

eireplane

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 pm

stratocruiser

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Can’t say I dislike it, but I still prefer the current scheme. However, if I remember correctly, I felt the same way when the current scheme was introduced but that grew on me so maybe this will too!

I do fear however that Aer Lingus aircraft will no longer stand out as they do now and they will just be lost amongst the many other Euro-white airliners. Whether or not that matters an iota to the passengers who use Aer Lingus is of course another debatable subject!

wexfordflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:38 pm

I don't think it's terrible, but it's not very inspiring. It is clean and modern looking, so that's good.

I think it looks better on the A320 than A330: https://www.facebook.com/groups/9007067 ... 757007817/

OA260

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:42 pm

App has been updated and new virtual AerClub cards generated.

alancostello

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm not impressed by the livery, but I don't mind it at the same time, it just seems a bit safe and been-done. My only issue with it is that jaunty shamrock, it just looks like it was painted on wrong.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos