Topic Author

Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 am

Continue from last year's thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382313

AVENSAB727

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:00 pm

As 2018 was pretty much a casual year for IAH, with a few notable events included: United launching IAH-SYD services with the 789, The delayed Terminal D MLIT program finally gets the green light.
I wonder what 2019 will bring to IAH?
My predictions for 2019:
1. Construction finally begins on the Terminal D renovation project.
2. United launches another international route(s) out of IAH
3. A new International flag carrier announces that they will start IAH.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

jplatts

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 pm

WN is still expanding domestically at HOU, and WN has already added several new nonstop routes out of HOU during the last 2 years.

Top domestic destinations traveled to from HOU that aren't currently served nonstop from HOU include CLE, DTW, MSP, EWR, ONT, and SFO. WN could add HOU-CLE, HOU-DTW, HOU-MSP, HOU-EWR, HOU-ONT, and HOU-SFO nonstop service and bring back HOU-EWR nonstop service.

In addition, WN could also add HOU-CVG nonstop service since (a) CVG is one of the largest markets in the U.S. that doesn't currently have any nonstop service on a LCC from IAH or HOU, (b) G4 doesn't currently serve IAH or HOU, (c) NK doesn't currently serve CVG, and (d) F9 has already dropped IAH-CVG nonstop service.

WN is likely to add a few more new domestic nonstop routes out of HOU this year, and the three most likely domestic adds by WN at HOU are HOU-CLE, HOU-MSP, and HOU-SFO.

Croden

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
As 2018 was pretty much a casual year for IAH, with a few notable events included: United launching IAH-SYD services with the 789, The delayed Terminal D MLIT program finally gets the green light.
My predictions for 2019:

Where would you predict the new United intl routes? And who would the new intl airline be?

jplatts

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 am

There are still some more domestic nonstop routes that could be added by UA out of IAH such as IAH-BIS, IAH-BUF, IAH-BUR, IAH-CID, IAH-FAR, IAH-FWA, IAH-FAT, IAH-MSN, IAH-MLI, IAH-MYR, IAH-PIA, IAH-ROC, IAH-SRQ, IAH-FSD, IAH-SBN, and IAH-TVC.

Will UA announce any new domestic nonstop routes out of IAH in 2019?

AVENSAB727

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:41 am

Croden wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
My predictions for 2019:

Where would you predict the new United intl routes? And who would the new intl airline be?

Most likely Latin America, especially since the JV with Avianca and Copa is signed, only needs approval, I'd guess IAH-CLO/Cali or Medellin.
Other UA international routes could be IAH-PVG or ZRH or MAD
The new Int'l airline could be Avianca from Colombia.

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 am

jplatts wrote:
There are still some more domestic nonstop routes that could be added by UA out of IAH such as IAH-BIS, IAH-BUF, IAH-BUR, IAH-CID, IAH-FAR, IAH-FWA, IAH-FAT, IAH-MSN, IAH-MLI, IAH-MYR, IAH-PIA, IAH-ROC, IAH-SRQ, IAH-FSD, IAH-SBN, and IAH-TVC.

UA just announced a few of those a couple weeks ago. I believe BUF, ROC, and TVC were 3 of them.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LH658

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:48 am

I would really love to see IAH - FCO or MAD. Dallas can pull off both, MAD I understand OneWorld station, but FCO IAH can also pull the same traffic AA does.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:10 pm

IAH would get MXP before FCO ,if that ever happens, for business ties in my view. My sources at UA, including one very high up the food chain have noted little to nothing "big" out of IAH "right now" which would l presume means through the summer at least.

It would be interesting to get a COPA to start HOU from PTY...not likely but not impossible. I am actually surprised a Mexican low cost has not tried HOU yet.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:37 pm

UA just announced last month an international expansion that was mainly centered on SFO. ORD and IAH got nothing. They are running a second daily from SFO-ICN, and are running 2x daily SFO-PVG. I think if they wanted to expand IAH, they would use one of these frequencies to do something beyond NRT for IAH. But they didn't. As for Italy, I just don't see anything other than possibly a summer seasonal IAH-FCO. They initiated seasonals to Rome from Dulles and Chicago a couple summers ago, and they have done well. MXP is where the money is, but they only serve MXP 1x daily from EWR, and even that is not daily in the winter.
I keep hoping that AV will come in with a flight connecting Houston to their BOG hub. This would put several destinations in northern South America within one stop of Houston that are not currently served.
Spirit seems to have found a good niche for themselves at IAH. It seems to me they always have an aircraft or 2 over at the A gates then I'm up there.

maximairways

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 am

TWA772LR wrote:
jplatts wrote:

UA just announced a few of those a couple weeks ago. I believe BUF, ROC, and TVC were 3 of them.

BUF and ROC were not. Hopefully soon though as more E175s come online.

LH658

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
IAH would get MXP before FCO ,if that ever happens, for business ties in my view. My sources at UA, including one very high up the food chain have noted little to nothing "big" out of IAH "right now" which would l presume means through the summer at least.

It would be interesting to get a COPA to start HOU from PTY...not likely but not impossible. I am actually surprised a Mexican low cost has not tried HOU yet.

I can see MXP due to energy ties companies like Tenaris and ENI.

FlyingSicilian

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 am

LH658 wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

Exactly, ENI's Houston ops are still huge, though slightly smaller than ten years ago still one of their N.A. Headquarters. They still rent blocks of apartments at 7171 Buffalo Speedway for employees on temp status for example. That said I am not sure if UA can score the premium contracts, and thus demand, to make it happen; I certainly wish they would, it would make my life easier.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

LH658

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
LH658 wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

Exactly, ENI's Houston ops are still huge, though slightly smaller than ten years ago still one of their N.A. Headquarters. They still rent blocks of apartments at 7171 Buffalo Speedway for employees on temp status for example. That said I am not sure if UA can score the premium contracts, and thus demand, to make it happen; I certainly wish they would, it would make my life easier.

Also Enel and Saipem. Though I am sure all these guys fly via BA, KL, LH, AF, UA, AC, AA, and DL. As it one stop, though I was saying Italy in general for seasonal for tourism, AA is doing the same from DFW, so why not IAH on 763?

zm093

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 am

I wonder what happened with the rumors about ET and MU starting flights to Houston

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Ok, we need to take a bite of a reality sandwich here.

1) United has no interest in flying IAH-China for the foreseeable future. Yes, IAH-PVG is an under served market but they made it abundantly clear when they applied for a 2nd EWR-PVG flight that was the case. I have also spoken personally to people in the know at UA who have confirmed this to me. I was also told that additional IAH-Latin America isnt in the cards for the moment but that could change.

2) United's longhaul fleet is pretty well maxed out. They allocated all the resources they had within it to SFO and EWR. There isnt any left in the budget for us.

3) Our best hope is for some new short haul but that isnt going to happen for the first half of the year. UA just announced all the new routes they were interested in and now the short haul fleet is pretty well maxed out. Im just happy we got ONT back.

Its fun to be optimistic and dream but those dreams have to be based on some kind of reality.
Next flight: IAH-YEG-IAH on UA in Y.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 pm

zm093 wrote:
I wonder what happened with the rumors about ET and MU starting flights to Houston

I think if ET can get its ACC based subsidiary up and running, IAH would be a strong candidate as it would provide much easier connections to LOS.

MU starting PVG from IAH is much more likely than UA IMO.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:15 pm

LAXdude, do you think DL would be interested in linking IAH with SEA to tie into their Asia hub?

IAHFLYR

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:35 pm

So happy to see DL putting the A220 (CS100) on the IAH-LGA route, just booked tickets for later this spring.

Love to see AS start IAH-PDX and add another IAH-SEA flight to more later in the morning, that Oh dark 30 flight at 0600 is gonna be an early get up on our trip soon.

How about UA putting something to SXM or heck anyone with a non-stop, well almost anyone. :)
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:37 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
LAXdude, do you think DL would be interested in linking IAH with SEA to tie into their Asia hub?

I think its within the realm of possibility yes. Whether or not its next on their list has yet to be seen. I think a big part of DL's operation in SEA (even moreso than feeding the Asian operation) is connecting large business markets from SEA so they can compete with AS and WN. IAH-SEA isnt a small market, but its actually not that big compared to DFW/ATL/WAS/BOS-SEA. I would think DFW would probably come first, not because of the Asia hub but because DFW-SEA is a much larger local market than IAH-SEA. That said Im happy to be wrong about that.

I think what grinds my gears more is that AC serves DFW-YVR but not IAH-YVR.

LAXdude1023

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Did anyone else notice UA put in about 10 days of nonstop flights to GSO in April but nothing else?

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:12 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:

I think its within the realm of possibility yes. Whether or not its next on their list has yet to be seen. I think a big part of DL's operation in SEA (even moreso than feeding the Asian operation) is connecting large business markets from SEA so they can compete with AS and WN. IAH-SEA isnt a small market, but its actually not that big compared to DFW/ATL/WAS/BOS-SEA. I would think DFW would probably come first, not because of the Asia hub but because DFW-SEA is a much larger local market than IAH-SEA. That said Im happy to be wrong about that.

I think what grinds my gears more is that AC serves DFW-YVR but not IAH-YVR.

I agree with you concerning AC. They have made a good effort to leverage Canada's position allowing pre-clearance for US flights to sell connections to Europe over YYZ and YUL. They have a great trans-Pacific network, yet even as a large Star Alliance city, they don't provide a 1x flight to YVR. The UA flight is not timed well for connections, especially on the return, causing often 4-6 hour transits. Enough so that they try to sell double connects XXX-YVR-YYC-IAH. That's a non-starter for me.

master14225

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:26 am

I think YVR is very underserved from not only IAH but the rest of the US thanks to it's proximity to SEA. I mean hey, I'd bus down to Seattle and fly from SEA instead of YVR if I lived in Vancouver.

LH658

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 am

Would love to see DL: IAH - RDU, SEA, LAX, BOS, JFK & PDX and AA: IAH - DCA and JFK. UA: IAH - Long Beach, Cali or somewhere in Colombia.

LH658

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 am

Anyone know how Air China IAH - PTY is doing?

zm093

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:06 pm

What do you guys think are the most underserved markets from IAH?

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm

I do believe that IAH-MAD will be served at some point, but it's probably a million years down the road.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LH658

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Anyone know how Air China IAH - PTY is doing?

LH658

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 pm

IAH - FCO, IAH - MAD/BCN, and IAH - MXP needs to happen.

drerx7

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 pm

I flew IAH-PTY in September... going down it was about 40%... coming back 85% full
HOUSTON, TEXAS

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 pm

LH658 wrote:
IAH - FCO, IAH - MAD/BCN, and IAH - MXP needs to happen.

But they arent going to. UA has already allocated their resources for the forseeable future.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

zm093 wrote:

By O&D, the markets that have the highest O&D with no service are:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

But this alone doesnt tell the story. SGN, MNL, DEL, and KHI wouldnt make one dime because the fares are so low and its all ethnic.

LOS, ICN, and MOW have been tried recently and failed. I think ICN would have done better if it was flown by a UA alliance partner, but the other two are nonstarters.

BOM and ABZ have high fare components, but UA wont fly either of them. BA wont fly IAH-ABZ because it would drain the yields of IAH-LHR and only AI would ever consider IAH-BOM but I dont think its the next US-BOM market they would fly.

I dont know why FCO, MXP, and Spain "need to be flown" either.

IAH-FCO 32 PDEW and highly seasonal. IAH-MXP is only 19 PDEW. IAH-MAD is 25 PDEW. These arent markets that need service at all. The only one that might work is IAH-FCO in summer seasonal. IAH-MAD could be used to feed Latin America but why? MAD has service to virtually every country down there.

upperdeckfan

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
zm093 wrote:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

But this alone doesnt tell the story. SGN, MNL, DEL, and KHI wouldnt make one dime because the fares are so low and its all ethnic.

LOS, ICN, and MOW have been tried recently and failed. I think ICN would have done better if it was flown by a UA alliance partner, but the other two are nonstarters.

BOM and ABZ have high fare components, but UA wont fly either of them. BA wont fly IAH-ABZ because it would drain the yields of IAH-LHR and only AI would ever consider IAH-BOM but I dont think its the next US-BOM market they would fly.

IAH-FCO 32 PDEW and highly seasonal. IAH-MXP is only 19 PDEW. IAH-MAD is 25 PDEW. These arent markets that need service at all. The only one that might work is IAH-FCO in summer seasonal. IAH-MAD could be used to feed Latin America but why? MAD has service to virtually every country down there.

Working in the O&G industry in Spain I personally know tenths of people who travel Madrid - Houston more than once a year with their employer paying J. Some of them use AA through MIA or DFW, others DL through ATL and even AF/KL through CDG/AMS. They would love to have a non stop link.

There is also potential MAD traffic connecting not to South but Central America, most of that traffic is currently connecting at DFW/MIA/MEX

Shame IB/IAG being so conservative to open non-hub routes, I'm sure the market for IAH-MAD is there. Houston is the 4th largest metro area in the US and a big UA hub (if not the biggest) and Madrid is a major European market.
789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,
722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,
M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,
343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,
CR10, E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3

LH658

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Just looking at the seasonal tourist markets i think UA can pull off MXP, FCO, MAD, or BCN. AA is doing it from DFW, Spain is obvious cause of One World. UA can connect lot of traffic down south.

thomasphoto60

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 pm

Did LH downgrade IAH-FRA 440/441 to the A346? I know that during Christmas and New Year the ‘380’ was swapped for the 748, however the A380 returned. Now it seems to have been replaced by the A346 over the last 5 days and it seems for the foreseeable future the 748 will be making the run. Any thoughts?
"Show me the Braniffs"

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm

LH658 wrote:
Just looking at the seasonal tourist markets i think UA can pull off MXP, FCO, MAD, or BCN. AA is doing it from DFW, Spain is obvious cause of One World. UA can connect lot of traffic down south.

1) DFW-FCO/MAD are bigger markets. Always have been even before the service started.
2) DFW, like it or not, is a much bigger hub and can feed more places.
3) Why on earth would UA fly those markets with the possible exception of FCO seasonally? The markets are tiny in size and only MXP has any component of J traffic.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
zm093 wrote:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

Working in the O&G industry in Spain I personally know tenths of people who travel Madrid - Houston more than once a year with their employer paying J. Some of them use AA through MIA or DFW, others DL through ATL and even AF/KL through CDG/AMS. They would love to have a non stop link.

There is also potential MAD traffic connecting not to South but Central America, most of that traffic is currently connecting at DFW/MIA/MEX

Shame IB/IAG being so conservative to open non-hub routes, I'm sure the market for IAH-MAD is there. Houston is the 4th largest metro area in the US and a big UA hub (if not the biggest) and Madrid is a major European market.

Im sure you know people who do but there isnt enough of them right now. Maybe MAD will come up seasonally in the future, but right now all the resources are tied up in SFO and EWR.

Okcflyer

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 am

Does someone have access to IAH-GYE traffic figures? For personal reasons, I wish this sCO route would return, though seemingly unlikely. Double stopping is getting old.

LAXdude1023

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:20 am

Okcflyer wrote:
Does someone have access to IAH-GYE traffic figures? For personal reasons, I wish this sCO route would return, though seemingly unlikely. Double stopping is getting old.

It’s around 10-12 PDEW.

upperdeckfan

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:42 am

thomasphoto60 wrote:
Did LH downgrade IAH-FRA 440/441 to the A346? I know that during Christmas and New Year the ‘380’ was swapped for the 748, however the A380 returned. Now it seems to have been replaced by the A346 over the last 5 days and it seems for the foreseeable future the 748 will be making the run. Any thoughts?

Seems like A380 is coming back for summer season so around APR01

Getting B748 or A346 instead of A380 is only a downgrade in overall capacity. Premium seat capacity stsys about the same and all 3 types offer F. Even B748 is lower density than A380

upperdeckfan

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

PDEW is one of the multiple inputs and factors airlines weigh in when assessing potential new routes.

LAXdude1023

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:52 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

PDEW is one of the multiple inputs and factors airlines weigh in when assessing potential new routes.

That along with geography and average fares paid are pretty much it. Either way, no airline is going to start a route from a geographically inconvenient hub with a small market even if the fares paid are high.

N292UX

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 am

It appears UA will be running some IAH-GSO flights starting April 5th. Only bookable for a few days, though. Is this an error by chance?

mfe777

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:51 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
zm093 wrote:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

Just small correction there, DFW is the 4th largest metro area in the US, not Houston. In the 2010 census, DFW had ~500k more people than the Houston metro, and as the 2017 estimate, it's about the same gap. The more diversified economy in DFW might be driving more premium traffic from Madrid, hence why American Airlines is going double daily on Madrid-DFW. Houston's premium traffic is heavily dependent on oil & gas.

AVENSAB727

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:25 pm

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/ ... 594159.php
Both IAH and HOU saw record passenger numbers in 2018. IAH was up 7.6% from 2017, I believe this was also due to UA's rebanking of IAH, and the recovery in the energy market. HOU was up 7.7% from 2017. This is good news as it shows Houston Airports are recovering from the drought brought on by the energy market downturn and, of course, the effects of Hurricane Harvey!

Also, Ethiopian is coming to Houston in summer 2019!
https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/ ... 567112.php
IAH is also breaking out of the drought of new airlines.

Ishrion

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 pm

CALMSP

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:03 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
zm093 wrote:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

I believe the MXP/FCO/Spain thoughts have stuck around since the CO and SkyTEAM days. I think many of us expected that to happen, even with Kellner saying it was going to happen, just didnt have excess a/c to do so. But once CO left SkyTEAM, there really was no large need to go to these hubs.

TWA772LR

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:35 pm

CALMSP wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
zm093 wrote:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

I believe the MXP/FCO/Spain thoughts have stuck around since the CO and SkyTEAM days. I think many of us expected that to happen, even with Kellner saying it was going to happen, just didnt have excess a/c to do so. But once CO left SkyTEAM, there really was no large need to go to these hubs.

Spain service wouldn't really have any baring with CO being in Sky Team.

CALMSP

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

SGN
BOM
LOS
PVG
MNL
ICN
ABZ
DEL
KHI
MOW

Spain service wouldn't really have any baring with CO being in Sky Team.

Air Europa is a member of SkyTEAM

jplatts

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:48 pm

mfe777 wrote:
Just small correction there, DFW is the 4th largest metro area in the US, not Houston. In the 2010 census, DFW had ~500k more people than the Houston metro, and as the 2017 estimate, it's about the same gap. The more diversified economy in DFW might be driving more premium traffic from Madrid, hence why American Airlines is going double daily on Madrid-DFW. Houston's premium traffic is heavily dependent on oil & gas.

Another big difference between the DFW/DAL market and the IAH/HOU market is that DFW is a hub for AA, who is in the oneworld alliance and who codeshares with IB, whereas UA doesn't codeshare with any Spanish airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos