Southern
Topic Author

Discount US Carriers

Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:01 pm

Hey!

I'm sorry to ask but unlike Australia (where there are 2 main carriers), the US has heaps of them. I need to find the cheapest discount carrier available which will take me from New York (JFK) to any airport in Washington D.C.

I've searched through the previous post and haven't located something like this topic but if you find it just post the URL!

Thanks for your help!

RE: Discount US Carriers

Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:14 pm

American Airlines, United Airlines and Delta Air Lines all offer $98.00 flights non-stop from JKF to WAS. You can check Travelocity for these things if you put that your dates are flexible.

roguetrader

Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:16 pm

Southern,

Do you have to fly from JFK - or can you use another NYC area airport?

American, United, and Delta serve JFK-(DC area), and you can get fares as low as about $100 round trip if you plan ahead. Check orbitz.com which also includes internet only specials, but doesn't include Southwest.

Southwest flies from Islip (which is a suburb of NYC on Long Island, accessible by train from Penn Station) to BWI. Southwest will usually get you there cheaper on short notice, also you can often get a good deal for one way flights which usually isn't possible on the majors. See iflyswa.com. Going through ISP and BWI is a little out of the way, but is usually the cheaper choice.

Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:22 pm

US Airways also offers non-stop $98 service from LGA-WAS.

Southern
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:41 pm

Thanks for ure help guys,

I probably would be travelling from JFK because I should be arriving with Qantas there....

thanks again.... and keep posting those suggestions!

mick

Sat Mar 16, 2002 8:18 pm

Fly JetBlue JFK-FLL-IAD  Wink/being sarcastic.

On a more serious note, I'd try Southwest out of ISP. You can get there by train from JFK: http://www.macarthurairport.com/pages/transportbod.html#Anchor-12675

delta-flyer

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:46 am

Southern, fares in the US seem rather haphazard, and depend on specific day and time of travel, and how early you book. I would look in or to get the best prices on the exact date you plan to fly. You may be surprised to find that the lowest fares may not be on the "discount carriers" but on the majors.

Also, as noted, you may try the other NY area airports, if you have ground transportation available. But beware of heavy road traffic and possible delays, not to mention the cost.

Another caviat is that if you buy a discount ticket separate from your overseas ticket, plan to connect straight through but miss your flight to Washington due to a late arrival into JFK, you may have to pay a fee for reissuing your Washington ticket. If, however, your overseas ticket includes the segment to Washington, then there would not be such a fee. Smilarly, you can get a "refundable" fare to Washington, but that will be more expensive.

Cheers
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

AeroGlobeAir7

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:51 am

I agree with Delta-Flyer. You'd likely be best off if you booked a connection on American, since Qantas and AA are in a codeshare partnership. Hope you enjoy the states!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Andrew
AeroGlobeAir7
BABY BOEINGS ALL THE WAY!!!
FLY DELTA JETS!

Lindy

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:57 am

But have it in mind that if your Qantas flight is coming late and you are booked on American Eagle out of JFK you better hurry. I missed twice my connection and I had to spend night at JFK. Not very interesting thing to be there all night twice.
But on the other hand you dont have big choice.
From JFK to any airport in DC only American Eagle and Delta fly.
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

silverfox

Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:09 am

how about sfo-dtw(one way)?

TNboy

Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:13 am

There's always Amtrak!
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

silverfox

Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:16 am

TNboy,Thanks but iwant to get there, not get there eventually!!

Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:19 am

Silverfox: try either Southwest or Spirit.

Al

Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:55 am

Southern put brain into gear and tapped out:
"I probably would be travelling from JFK because I should be arriving with Qantas there. thanks again.... and keep posting those suggestions! "

Why go to NYC at all? Book the ticket from whereever it is in Oz you're coming from to Washington. Should be the same price. Get off in LAX, transfer to another QF flight operated by AA and go nonstop to WAS. Save yourself hours of hassle, more so these days with all the extra security.
Cheers.

silverfox

Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:24 pm

lowfair air

thanks for the input.
(i travelled Amtrak from detroit to chicago, never again!!!

silverfox

Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:25 pm

lowfair air

thanks for the input.
(i travelled Amtrak from detroit to chicago, never again!!!