Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 am

Welcome to the 2019 installment.

2018's can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382565

Some initial thoughts as we roll into 2019.

-I think we all anxiously await the opening of the new eastern expansion of the Barbara Jordan terminal. It will provide some much-needed capacity relief, despite the airport being well beyond the trigger for the subsequent round of expansion. Moreover, a new slew of local restaurants and, of course, the new Delta SkyClub will enhance the overall quality of the airport.

-Speaking of that next round expansion, it is my understanding the city has approved the new Master Plan, which has been sent to the FAA for final approval. I anticipate that the next round of expansion will be a priority for the city, and budgeting, planning, and procurement will be fast-tracked (with obvious caveats regarding the local government's inability to get anything done quickly). I could see ground being broken in late 2020 or early 2021 at the very earliest.

-As has been discussed (argued?) ad nauseum, future growth of the different airlines at Austin. Much of this discussion has hinged around what plans, if any, Delta has for Austin. Conventional wisdom is that Delta, which currently runs a distant fourth to Southwest, American, and United in Austin, would have an uphill battle to expanding their footprint in Austin. On the other hand, Delta has systematically added routes to their secondary cities over the last 3-5 years, including nonstops to SEA, BOS, LAX, and RDU. How much additional growth is tenable is indeed a good question. It's no secret Delta's position in the state of Texas is lacking vis-a-vis their competitors. With a diverse, booming economy, their absence is notable.

If Delta were to look at increasing their presence in the state, how would they go about it and what would it look like? I don't see Houston as viable, leaving Dallas and Austin as the next most logical choices. Some could make the argument their position in DFW is no worse than it currently is in Austin, and there is likely a larger (and possibly lingering) customer base that can/would move (back) to DL. It would probably be the "safer" choice, while looking to expand Austin would be a high-risk, but potentially high-reward proposition. I think a beefed-up DL presence in Austin would see many AA and UA flyers look at defecting to Delta; I'm of the opinion that as elite benefits continue to erode, frequent flyers are less loyal than any time in recent memory. Speaking personally, I had elite status on AA for 8 years between 2009-2016. If I were still traveling for business (as a passenger, anyway), I would be looking for the best combination of price and schedule before I would be looking at loyalty programs; the benefits that were there as recently as 3-4 years ago simply aren't there anymore.

All that said, there are other airlines that could expand in Austin, too. NK's entry into the city may help bring fares down, but only time will tell. Can Austin woo an Asian carrier to take a chance? Both ICN and NRT could be viable destinations.

-How will AUS fare with 2 full-service European carriers in LH and BA?

That's probably enough to get us started for 2019.
Cheers,
Cameron

Fargo

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
Welcome to the 2019 installment.

2018's can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382565

Some initial thoughts as we roll into 2019.

-I think we all anxiously await the opening of the new eastern expansion of the Barbara Jordan terminal. It will provide some much-needed capacity relief, despite the airport being well beyond the trigger for the subsequent round of expansion. Moreover, a new slew of local restaurants and, of course, the new Delta SkyClub will enhance the overall quality of the airport.

-Speaking of that next round expansion, it is my understanding the city has approved the new Master Plan, which has been sent to the FAA for final approval. I anticipate that the next round of expansion will be a priority for the city, and budgeting, planning, and procurement will be fast-tracked (with obvious caveats regarding the local government's inability to get anything done quickly). I could see ground being broken in late 2020 or early 2021 at the very earliest.

-As has been discussed (argued?) ad nauseum, future growth of the different airlines at Austin. Much of this discussion has hinged around what plans, if any, Delta has for Austin. Conventional wisdom is that Delta, which currently runs a distant fourth to Southwest, American, and United in Austin, would have an uphill battle to expanding their footprint in Austin. On the other hand, Delta has systematically added routes to their secondary cities over the last 3-5 years, including nonstops to SEA, BOS, LAX, and RDU. How much additional growth is tenable is indeed a good question. It's no secret Delta's position in the state of Texas is lacking vis-a-vis their competitors. With a diverse, booming economy, their absence is notable.

If Delta were to look at increasing their presence in the state, how would they go about it and what would it look like? I don't see Houston as viable, leaving Dallas and Austin as the next most logical choices. Some could make the argument their position in DFW is no worse than it currently is in Austin, and there is likely a larger (and possibly lingering) customer base that can/would move (back) to DL. It would probably be the "safer" choice, while looking to expand Austin would be a high-risk, but potentially high-reward proposition. I think a beefed-up DL presence in Austin would see many AA and UA flyers look at defecting to Delta; I'm of the opinion that as elite benefits continue to erode, frequent flyers are less loyal than any time in recent memory. Speaking personally, I had elite status on AA for 8 years between 2009-2016. If I were still traveling for business (as a passenger, anyway), I would be looking for the best combination of price and schedule before I would be looking at loyalty programs; the benefits that were there as recently as 3-4 years ago simply aren't there anymore.

All that said, there are other airlines that could expand in Austin, too. NK's entry into the city may help bring fares down, but only time will tell. Can Austin woo an Asian carrier to take a chance? Both ICN and NRT could be viable destinations.

-How will AUS fare with 2 full-service European carriers in LH and BA?

That's probably enough to get us started for 2019.

AUS is probably one of, if not the most intriguing airports in the US right now. So much growth happening and so much potential. The expansion is needed ASAP.

I have to agree a lot of the future though depends on what DL has in store for AUS, if anything. Given DL/SkyTeam’s weak Texas presence, combined with DL’s track record of targeting strategic gaps in their network, it would not surprise me if they targeted AUS for growth. Austin is the only logical place in the state where Delta could close their gap as DFW/IAH are taken by AA/UA. Who knows what they would build it up to though.

At risk of opening a can of worms, I always though AUS would make a decent small hub for DL to target the fast growing Texas market and provide for some of the E/W flows that don’t make sense to route over ATL/SLC. But who knows if that will happen. As I’ve said before, they are already fighting battles in SEA and BOS, do they want to open a third front in AUS?

As for other carriers, I think NK will do well. They should’ve been in AUS long ago, and since Austin is booming in tourism and they are the most stable of the ULCC’s, they’ll do fairly well.

BA/LH will coexist just fine, the AUS market is big enough where it can support two year round TATL flights.

LH658

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 am

I wonder if LH will offer First Class out of AUS? Would be nice to see KE be adventures, and try AUS, I think it will be a success. I think LH can pull off RDU as well.

KD5MDK

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 am

I'm curious to see where Alaska and JetBlue see Austin fitting in their plans. Both of them seem like potential candidates to do something interesting, if only they weren't limited to one coast. Hard to imagine a flier with any loyalty picking an airline that can't take them both directions.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:15 am

JetBlue has shown interest in AUS before , but never really attempted much. I think that was a huge mistake for them.

Delta has been really quiet on AUS. They are definitely not working on a connecting hub. I do hope they add some more point to point routes and announcement are soon.

AUS does have amazing growth potential , the future looks just better and better to do something. I agree one of the most interesting places to watch right now.

LH I bet you will connect alot to India from AUS. BA seems to be doing so well even if LH steals some connecting passengers they can probably co-exist. Cool to see 2 trans atlanitc flights out of AUS!

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 am

JetBlue has shown interest in AUS before , but never really attempted much. I think that was a huge mistake for them.

Delta has been really quiet on AUS. They are definitely not working on a connecting hub. I do hope they add some more point to point routes and announcement are soon.

AUS does have amazing growth potential , the future looks just better and better to do something. I agree one of the most interesting places to watch right now.

LH I bet you will connect alot to India from AUS. BA seems to be doing so well even if LH steals some connecting passengers they can probably co-exist. Cool to see 2 trans atlanitc flights out of AUS! Oneworld and Star alliance beat skyteam , delta should have announced AMS to compliment their focus city model.

rajincajun01

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 am

KD5MDK wrote:
I'm curious to see where Alaska and JetBlue see Austin fitting in their plans. Both of them seem like potential candidates to do something interesting, if only they weren't limited to one coast. Hard to imagine a flier with any loyalty picking an airline that can't take them both directions.

Alaska is going mainline for SAN on April 1. A second PDX flight is being tested on weekends in the spring. The daily PDX flight goes A320 next week and the morning SEA goes back to Airbus in a few days.

Western727

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks, Longhornmaniac (UT won the game, whoo!), for getting a fresh thread started.

To add to the above discussion, I wonder about Norwegian's 3x/weekly flights to LGW with the airline's shaky financial status. Of course, time will tell, but I wonder if anyone is willing to speculate about their AUS flights on the 789.
Jack @ AUS

KAUSavgeek

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm

LH658 wrote:
I wonder if LH will offer First Class out of AUS? Would be nice to see KE be adventures, and try AUS, I think it will be a success. I think LH can pull off RDU as well.

LH already said its a two cabin A330-300, so no F for us...

PHOTOSMK

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 am

Some thoughts for 2019

-First part of the nine-gate expansion should be open around February, the entire terminal should be operational by summer from what I've understood
-Lufthansa and British Airways will coexist fine in the AUS market. I bet Lufthansa will make the service daily, though it will be a matter of when
-Norwegian should do great as well, remember they are targeting a completely different customer basis. If the RR issues are solved the route will most likely become year-round.
-It will be interesting to watch ViaAir expand. They will be announcing a few more destinations from Austin here in a bit. They have huge plans for the city, so it will be cool to see what they can and can't accomplish.

Western727

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:40 pm

PHOTOSMK wrote:
Some thoughts for 2019

-First part of the nine-gate expansion should be open around February, the entire terminal should be operational by summer from what I've understood
-Lufthansa and British Airways will coexist fine in the AUS market. I bet Lufthansa will make the service daily, though it will be a matter of when
-Norwegian should do great as well, remember they are targeting a completely different customer basis. If the RR issues are solved the route will most likely become year-round.
-It will be interesting to watch ViaAir expand. They will be announcing a few more destinations from Austin here in a bit. They have huge plans for the city, so it will be cool to see what they can and can't accomplish.

The new gates are exciting. About time! And then, AUS will be over capacity again in no time. :hyper:

I'm not so sure about Norwegian, given their shaky financial footing. I agree that LH will likely go daily at some point. Who knows, they might even upgauge from the 330...wishful thinking, perhaps, but dreaming is fun.

ViaAir: a friend of mine who grew up near BTR had a few bad experiences with them over the last 2 months (last-minute cancellations that happened 4 times) so she swore not to touch them again and instead revert back to the nonstops to MSY on WN. Granted, that's one person and one market, but ViaAir sure doesn't seem to have a good rep: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_Rev ... ws-Via-Air
Jack @ AUS

khowaga

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

PHOTOSMK wrote:
Some thoughts for 2019

Norwegian’s website has the flight seasonal again for next winter (effective October 26, 2019).

As for Via...they might consider operating a full daily schedule without cancellations before they start adding routes. Yesterday they cancelled two flights (half their schedule for the day). Its been that way for months.

rajincajun01

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Via added RDU, MEM, PIT and BHM to their route map only to immediately remove them. Not sure what’s going on there. Is there enough room for “significant plans” in the South Terminal?

khowaga

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 pm

For what it’s worth, enliria’s weekly OAG update has ViaAir cancelling AUS-OKC, TUS, and TUL, and cutting LIT frequencies in half. So, the South Terminal is safe from the supposed massive expansion.

masonh2479

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:12 pm

khowaga wrote:
For what it’s worth, enliria’s weekly OAG update has ViaAir cancelling AUS-OKC, TUS, and TUL, and cutting LIT frequencies in half. So, the South Terminal is safe from the supposed massive expansion.

Come to think an exec at ViaAir one said they would strive to be Austin's hometown airline. I think ViaAir is pretty much done, they have been receiving a really bad rep and their on time stats have not been good. So they either need to pull a complete 180 or cut their losses and leave, which is too bad, I wanted them to do well.

rajincajun01

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm

PHOTOSMK wrote:
Some thoughts for 2019

Curious about your source after today’s OAG release.

TexStones

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Western727 wrote:
AUS will be over capacity again in no time.

AUS will be over capacity the day the terminal extension opens.

In a perfect world the plans for the long-term expansion of the terminal would already be approved and funded, with dirt moving.

TexStones

Western727

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:54 pm

TexStones wrote:
Western727 wrote:

You don't say? AUS just released the latest figures (Nov 2018). http://www.austintexas.gov/news/novembe ... -bergstrom

...simply astonishing growth.
Jack @ AUS

MIflyer12

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 pm

AUS could have built 15 years ahead of peak demand, as SMF did, and been pilloried for that, too. You'll always leave somebody unhappy.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 328146.php

malev2012

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Western727 wrote:
TexStones wrote:
Western727 wrote:

You don't say? AUS just released the latest figures (Nov 2018). http://www.austintexas.gov/news/novembe ... -bergstrom

So just shy of 16 million, perhaps 15.85 million, 17.5 million is a possibility for 2019 with the added NK flights and LH.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

aaexecplat

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Western727 wrote:
TexStones wrote:
Western727 wrote:

It is astonishing, but not surprising. There is currently so much money parked in Austin, it is almost absurd. Add all the companies (like Apple) moving jobs to ATX and VC plowing money into any startup no matter how viable, and you have the perfect recipe for a market that has a HUGE corporate travel component that is high yielding to boot and personal travelers with lots of cash to spend. AUS has the greatest concentration (not the highest total obviously) of EXP in the AA network for example. And based on my own flying of UA weekly, I would assume this to be similar on at least that airline.

Without a recession, there is no real end in sight for the increase in air travel demand in ATX.

Fargo

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm

aaexecplat wrote:
Western727 wrote:
TexStones wrote:

It is astonishing, but not surprising. There is currently so much money parked in Austin, it is almost absurd. Add all the companies (like Apple) moving jobs to ATX and VC plowing money into any startup no matter how viable, and you have the perfect recipe for a market that has a HUGE corporate travel component that is high yielding to boot and personal travelers with lots of cash to spend. AUS has the greatest concentration (not the highest total obviously) of EXP in the AA network for example. And based on my own flying of UA weekly, I would assume this to be similar on at least that airline.

Without a recession, there is no real end in sight for the increase in air travel demand in ATX.

Which is why DL would be smart to make AUS their Texas presence, at least a focus city and possibly a hub long term.

aaexecplat

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Fargo wrote:
aaexecplat wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Which is why DL would be smart to make AUS their Texas presence, at least a focus city and possibly a hub long term.

Agreed. And good for us Austinites to have more options to fly the most reliable airline in the US.

Fargo

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 am

aaexecplat wrote:
Fargo wrote:
aaexecplat wrote:

Agreed. And good for us Austinites to have more options to fly the most reliable airline in the US.

Not just for Austin, but for the whole state. AUS really would make a nice connecting point for some east west traffic and international SkyTeam carriers, which currently lag behind compared to Star Alliance/OneWorld.

malev2012

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 pm

https://mediaroom.flyviaair.com/multime ... 1.9.19.pdf

Looks like VC is going to announce new routes. I'll be shocked if these start. AUS-MEM 4x weekly.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Western727

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm

malev2012 wrote:
https://mediaroom.flyviaair.com/multimedia/press/Memphis_Press-Release_New-Routes_1.9.19.pdf

Looks like VC is going to announce new routes. I'll be shocked if these start. AUS-MEM 4x weekly.

Thanks for sharing, malev2012. VC's moves continue to astonish me, given the subpar image they have here in AUS. I've seen enough to know that VC isn't an airline I can rely on, unfortunately.
Jack @ AUS

tkoenig95

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
https://mediaroom.flyviaair.com/multimedia/press/Memphis_Press-Release_New-Routes_1.9.19.pdf

Thanks for sharing, malev2012. VC's moves continue to astonish me, given the subpar image they have here in AUS. I've seen enough to know that VC isn't an airline I can rely on, unfortunately.

It seems like VC is continuing to understand where the AUS/Central Texas market holes are in terms of connecting point to point. With their latest round of cuts and additions hopefully we will see more reliable schedules and growth within the next couple of years. In a perfect world a DL Connection airline would swallow them up and take over the AUS operations giving the bigger DL footprint that many are wanting to see.

khinstorff

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 pm

I know in last year’s thread, there were some renderings of various options for the next round of terminal expansion. Has there been a decision made on what the next step is and the design of that next phase?

masonh2479

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

[list=][/list]
khinstorff wrote:
I know in last year’s thread, there were some renderings of various options for the next round of terminal expansion. Has there been a decision made on what the next step is and the design of that next phase?

The below link is of the plan that was submitted to the city council back in November and approved. It is likely that this is the future plan for ABIA.
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=309401

tkoenig95

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:09 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
[list=][/list]
khinstorff wrote:

The below link is of the plan that was submitted to the city council back in November and approved. It is likely that this is the future plan for ABIA.

Is the gov't shutdown going to delay the approval/denial of the expansion plans since it now all sits on the FAA's desk?

rajincajun01

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Likely as it is close to delaying the opening of Paine Field next month.

malev2012

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
[list=][/list]
khinstorff wrote:

Is the gov't shutdown going to delay the approval/denial of the expansion plans since it now all sits on the FAA's desk?

Yes the approval process is far from essential, so now we are looking at delays of at least a month, if the FAA can't train new ATC in OKC when there is a huge shortage then this certainly cannot take place.

tkoenig95

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Looks like the next foreign carrier to AUS is WS! YYC-AUS 3x weekly starting in May. No confirmed press as of yet, but the OAG thread sheds light on the route. A great addition to the new tails at the terminal expansion.

malev2012

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:52 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Looks like the next foreign carrier to AUS is WS! YYC-AUS 3x weekly starting in May. No confirmed press as of yet, but the OAG thread sheds light on the route. A great addition to the new tails at the terminal expansion.

Yea should be interesting to see how the Calgary flight works, the JV will Delta should help on the sales standpoint on our end.

Also it looks like AC is cutting service to SAT, yet our AC service was upgaged to the smallest mainline aircraft last year.

malev2012

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:50 pm

http://austintexas.gov/news/westjet-air ... in-calgary

Looks to be 2x weekly, Thursday and Sunday on 737

nname

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:12 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Also it looks like AC is cutting service to SAT, yet our AC service was upgaged to the smallest mainline aircraft last year.

Downgauged back to Express this summer, but frequency almost doubled to 13x weekly.

Western727

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 pm

malev2012 wrote:
http://austintexas.gov/news/westjet-airlines-announces-nonstop-service-austin-calgary

Looks to be 2x weekly, Thursday and Sunday on 737

Amazing! As someone with a spouse from YVR I'm naturally slightly bummed that the flights are to YYC instead. Still, YYC's location makes sense as a starting point for the AUS flights.

Up to the point when DL and WS partnered up (5 years ago, I think?), US$550 was the norm for advance-purchase AUS-YVR trips. Nowadays it's typically US$350, only a bit higher than trips to the longtime low-cost alternate of SEA. Further, the new flights will make it possible to connect in YYC and instead of the typical LAX & MSP when flying on DL/WS between AUS and YVR. :bouncy:
Jack @ AUS

malev2012

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:16 pm

nname wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Downgauged back to Express this summer, but frequency almost doubled to 13x weekly.

When does that frequency increase start?

khowaga

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Today's construction update includes the tidbit that the north side of the terminal expansion will open in less than a month. South side will take a bit longer (we knew this - the stinger jetbridges at gates 2,3,3A have to be removed, then the apron underneath improved and the jetbridges attached to the new gates). The long-awaited information on which carriers will relocate to the extension gates is not given (although we must assume that the carriers currently utilizing the gates being removed--Aeromexico, British, Delta--will have to do so, even if temporarily.)

http://www.austintexas.gov/blogs/conten ... ion-update

Robisintheair

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Western727 wrote:
PHOTOSMK wrote:
Some thoughts for 2019

I'm not so sure about Norwegian, given their shaky financial footing. I agree that LH will likely go daily at some point. Who knows, they might even upgauge from the 330...wishful thinking, perhaps, but dreaming is fun.

ViaAir: a friend of mine who grew up near BTR had a few bad experiences with them over the last 2 months (last-minute cancellations that happened 4 times) so she swore not to touch them again and instead revert back to the nonstops to MSY on WN. Granted, that's one person and one market, but ViaAir sure doesn't seem to have a good rep: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_Rev ... ws-Via-Air

I will be on the first Lufthansa flight to Austin :-) and I really looking forward

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:43 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
Both ICN and NRT could be viable destinations.

Maybe someday, but certainly not now.

Despite its near ubiquity in N.Am for an Asian airline, KE is still quite ethnically-driven. They don't fly to many places where there isn't either a large Korean population (e.g. DFW), large Korean business (e.g. SFO), a partner's hub (SEA) or all the above (LAX/JFK/ATL).

About the biggest deviation for that from them have been IAH (business + sizable SEAsian VFR) and BOS, with the former failing.

Gonna objectively say that AUS currently has none of the above, at least on a scale that would get their attention.

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Cool to see 2 trans atlanitc flights out of AUS!

You realize that AUS already had three TATL carriers prior to LH, no? ;)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

rajincajun01

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

Despite its near ubiquity in N.Am for an Asian airline, KE is still quite ethnically-driven. They don't fly to many places where there isn't either a large Korean population (e.g. DFW), large Korean business (e.g. SFO), a partner's hub (SEA) or all the above (LAX/JFK/ATL).

This. DEN will get a ICN route before AUS.

That being said, AUS has a couple positive aspects for a flight maybe seven-ten years from now:

1. KE could use their SkyTeam affiliation with DL if DL actually makes AUS a focus city with feeder traffic.

2. There is a growing Vietnamese population that could use the flight to connect to Ho Chi Minh City. This could drop the number of stops needed from two to one.

3. Korean companies (Samsung, HanAra, etc) with offices in Austin will continue to grow barring a tech slowdown with the economy.

Western727

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:50 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

This. DEN will get a ICN route before AUS.

That being said, AUS has a couple positive aspects for a flight maybe seven-ten years from now:

1. KE could use their SkyTeam affiliation with DL if DL actually makes AUS a focus city with feeder traffic.

2. There is a growing Vietnamese population that could use the flight to connect to Ho Chi Minh City. This could drop the number of stops needed from two to one.

3. Korean companies (Samsung, HanAra, etc) with offices in Austin will continue to grow barring a tech slowdown with the economy.

I'm with you on the above. 7-10 years seems like a more-reasonable time frame, if it comes to that. As well, while purely my own speculation, the upcoming Apple campus in NW Austin may have some influence.
Jack @ AUS

southwest1675

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Mid sized markets aren't quite ready for Asia service. I'd definitely say AUS and BNA are the two that will someday get it.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

tkoenig95

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:55 am

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin- ... ht-toronto
2nd Daily service 6x weekly.
YYZ-AUS 8:15-10:41
AUS-YYZ 11:25-14:24
Pretty big news on the heels of WS announcement. Perfect timing for summer and the terminal expansion opening. Looks like the northern neighborhood is the place to beat Texas heat!

YYZORD

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:16 am

AC honestly should add a daily YVR-AUS route, it's embarrassing that no airline would consider YVR but they added YYC before.

malev2012

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:53 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-welcomes-addition-second-air-canada-nonstop-flight-toronto
Pretty big news on the heels of WS announcement. Perfect timing for summer and the terminal expansion opening. Looks like the northern neighborhood is the place to beat Texas heat!

Will be interesting to see the international passenger numbers 2019 vs 2018 with the adds from LH, WS and AC.

masonh2479

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm

YYZORD wrote:
    AC honestly should add a daily YVR-AUS route, it's embarrassing that no airline would consider YVR but they added YYC before.

I too would like YVR-AUS. I can understand why YYC was added first though given it is WestJetsbbase and has plenty of connection opportunities. If WestJet encore bought E Jets or maybe even the A220, they could make a lot more routes profitable that are either out of range of the Dash or too big for the 737.

AirCanada is my bet on who is going to add YVR, YVR-AUS 5x weekly on an E175.

masonh2479

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm

malev2012 wrote:
    tkoenig95 wrote:
    http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-welcomes-addition-second-air-canada-nonstop-flight-toronto

Will be interesting to see the international passenger numbers 2019 vs 2018 with the adds from LH, WS and AC.

Also the departure of Condor and resumption of possible year round service from Norwegian. Volaris left as well but they pretty much carried no pax.

malev2012

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Final 2018 passenger numbers are out: http://austintexas.gov/news/december-20 ... -bergstrom

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos