airplaneboy

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:23 am

malev2012 wrote:
Final 2018 passenger numbers are out: http://austintexas.gov/news/december-20 ... -bergstrom

Thank you for the stats! So WN increased passengers carried already as the largest marketshare leader at almost 5.6 MILLIONS passengers just for December alone. And Delta increased their marketshare by carrying almost 2.1 million passengers in December. Yes, Delta is going to open a hub in AUS with the A220 and displace WN in a market where WN has decades of loyalty and Delta has mostly “spoke” flights to its hubs.

rajincajun01

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 am

airplaneboy wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
Final 2018 passenger numbers are out: http://austintexas.gov/news/december-20 ... -bergstrom

Thank you for the stats! So WN increased passengers carried already as the largest marketshare leader at almost 5.6 MILLIONS passengers just for December alone. And Delta increased their marketshare by carrying almost 2.1 million passengers in December. Yes, Delta is going to open a hub in AUS with the A220 and displace WN in a market where WN has decades of loyalty and Delta has mostly “spoke” flights to its hubs.

Think you read the wrong chart. AUS had 1.2 million pax in December total. WN had 5.6 million for the year. DL had 1.2 million. AUS would be in ATL/ORD territory if we had 7 million pax in a month from two carriers.

airplaneboy

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Ahh, thanks for the clarification and catching my mistake. Nonetheless quite a difference in number of passengers carried between the number 1 and number 2 (and 3,4,5) carriers. It’s amazing that WN still grew the number of passengers flown at AUS despite being the largest carrier by margins far and wide- to still carry nearly one third of all KAUS passenger traffic from 6 gates! Amazing :)

Western727

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 pm

malev2012 wrote:

Can anyone speculate as to why the December figures dropped from November in a steeper fashion than in previous years? I mean, the fairly-obvious answer is the US government shutdown that started on 22 December, but I'm thinking that most had already booked their holiday travel prior to that (thereby limiting the shutdown's impact in the first week or so). And I'm willing to speculate that last-minute travel is fairly limited during the holiday period.

I would imagine January's numbers will show a much greater impact, though, since the shutdown lasted until 25 January...but it's December that I'm more curious about. Thanks in advance.
Jack @ AUS

malev2012

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Can anyone speculate as to why the December figures dropped from November in a steeper fashion than in previous years? I mean, the fairly-obvious answer is the US government shutdown that started on 22 December, but I'm thinking that most had already booked their holiday travel prior to that (thereby limiting the shutdown's impact in the first week or so). And I'm willing to speculate that last-minute travel is fairly limited during the holiday period.

I would imagine January's numbers will show a much greater impact, though, since the shutdown lasted until 25 January...but it's December that I'm more curious about. Thanks in advance.

I don't think AUS is a hotbed of federal government travel. Most of our government travel demand is either the universities or state government. It could be just weather related cancellations for all we know. Or airlines didn't increase frequencies or plane size as much as they had in the past. Who knows, I am curious to see if NK will stimulate more demand moving forward.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Western727

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

I don't think AUS is a hotbed of federal government travel. Most of our government travel demand is either the universities or state government. It could be just weather related cancellations for all we know. Or airlines didn't increase frequencies or plane size as much as they had in the past. Who knows, I am curious to see if NK will stimulate more demand moving forward.

You make a good point about the "hotbed of fed govt travel". I should've clarified that I meant non-federal employee travelers who seemed to have cut back on nonessential travel given the public empathy towards TSA agents working without pay.
Jack @ AUS

Western727

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Piece from two days ago:

https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/02/10/tex ... h-in-2018/

Notables
1. 2018 saw a 34.5% increase in international traffic.
2. The east-side main terminal expansion will open on 15 February (this coming Friday).
3. The expansion will increase AUS's capacity from its current 11 million/year to 15 million.
4. 2018 saw 15.8 million pax, so the capacity increase will actually be insufficient at the start. !!!

As I recall from earlier replies to this thread:

1. The two furthest-out stinger gates (gates 1 and 2) will be removed to enable access to the north side of the extension.
2. After the north side of the extension becomes operational, the two closest stinger gates (gates 3 and 3A if memory serves) will be removed, after which permanent jetways will get added to the south side that have been blocked by the 4 stinger gates.

Question: when will the two furthest-out stinger gates get removed...and what of the flights that would otherwise have used said gates (in the brief period of time during which the stingers actually get removed)? Will they park in the same spots and use mobile air stairs? Or will the stingers get removed in a brief overnight gig...if that's even possible?

EDIT: clarification in last paragraph.
Jack @ AUS

rajincajun01

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Kinda hidden in today’s inaugural coverage but NK will start ATL service May 23. AUS-ATL could use a ULCC.

malev2012

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Kinda hidden in today’s inaugural coverage but NK will start ATL service May 23. AUS-ATL could use a ULCC.

F9 serves it seasonally but more regular service from NK will help drive prices down.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Austin787

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-welcomes-addition-second-air-canada-nonstop-flight-toronto
2nd Daily service 6x weekly.
YYZ-AUS 8:15-10:41
AUS-YYZ 11:25-14:24
Pretty big news on the heels of WS announcement. Perfect timing for summer and the terminal expansion opening. Looks like the northern neighborhood is the place to beat Texas heat!

Especially the Pacific Northwest region - beautiful scenery and (usually) moderate summer temperatures. I too would welcome AUS-YVR.

dfwneedsqf

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Any updates on when the first stage of the expansion opens? I originally heard it was supposed to happen yesterday, but no rumblings can be found online.

rajincajun01

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:06 pm

dfwneedsqf wrote:
Any updates on when the first stage of the expansion opens? I originally heard it was supposed to happen yesterday, but no rumblings can be found online.

For the size airport AUS has become, they have a terrible social marketing program. There is zero interaction and most announcements come well after the releases have occurred.

Gregarious1

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:13 am

dfwneedsqf wrote:

A water pipe broke so the expansion won't open till this Thursday.

tkoenig95

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

For the size airport AUS has become, they have a terrible social marketing program. There is zero interaction and most announcements come well after the releases have occurred.

You've got that right. Basically zero marketing team to run a healthy social media team.

747superliner

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read many a time that the Barbara Jordan Terminal (the main terminal at AUS) was rated for 11 million/yr in its passenger capacity prior to the expansion. This doesn't take into account the annual capacity of the South Terminal. I would imagine the South Terminal has decent annual capacity so technically speaking, with the BJT's capacity at 15 million/yr when the east concourse expansion is fully opened plus the South Terminal's capacity, AUS's total available capacity is over 15 million/yr right? Probably not by much, but I was curious to know. And does anyone know exactly how much the total is when taking into account both terminals?

malev2012

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:20 am

747superliner wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read many a time that the Barbara Jordan Terminal (the main terminal at AUS) was rated for 11 million/yr in its passenger capacity prior to the expansion. This doesn't take into account the annual capacity of the South Terminal. I would imagine the South Terminal has decent annual capacity so technically speaking, with the BJT's capacity at 15 million/yr when the east concourse expansion is fully opened plus the South Terminal's capacity, AUS's total available capacity is over 15 million/yr right? Probably not by much, but I was curious to know. And does anyone know exactly how much the total is when taking into account both terminals?

If F9, G4 and VC carry the same number of passengers as they did in 2018 this year it'd be about 1.5 million passengers flying from south terminal

HeeseokKoo

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 am

rajincajun01 wrote:

On top of that, NK just added a second daily to LAS from Sep.

On a sidenote, Alaska is moving to all mainline operation at AUS - SAN from Apr, SJC from late Aug: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-17feb19/

Just realized Maudie's has closed. I loved migas at this location. And inexpensive breakfast tacos.

deltadawg

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:45 am

I would suspect that DL will take AUS in the same route as RDU and SEA by offering a couple of key international routes such as AUS-AMS/CDG, along with expansion of hubs and secondary cities to help increase traffic. This along with strengthening/expanding a DL/AM network from AUS-GDL/MEX/MTY/PVR and the like. The A220 though will be a key to expanding to other markets from AUS for DL, such AUS-MKE/SJC/ONT/TPA/DCA.

Pure speculation and guessture but we have all seen DL run the same game in BOS/RDU and SEA. They have steadily gained marketshare in each location and when they identify a market as a potential for them they will take the long term approach not just the quick and easy. I would love to see DL expand AUS as a true hub with regional connections like AUS-AMA/CRP/MAF/ELP/ABQ/LIT/SHV. That's me just being selfish as I do go into Texas a lot from ATL and have to transfer many times to either AA or WN for other points such as AMA.

My biggest problem with AUS though is the surrounding infrastructure. The construction on Hwy 183 is abhorrent. Bastrop road in front of the airport is less than desirable though admittedly is getting a bit better but there are not enough eateries and hotels in the vicinity of the airport.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

FRAborn

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:52 am

Does anyone think JetsuiteX to Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston or NOLA is possible?

tkoenig95

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:44 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

On top of that, NK just added a second daily to LAS from Sep.

On a sidenote, Alaska is moving to all mainline operation at AUS - SAN from Apr, SJC from late Aug: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-17feb19/

Just realized Maudie's has closed. I loved migas at this location. And inexpensive breakfast tacos.

NK hit off AUS with a bam last week and I think we can continue to see more expansion as time goes on. F9 is definitely seeing their fare share of market battle with NK in the neighborhood now so it is interesting to see who comes out on top.

tkoenig95

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm

deltadawg wrote:
I would suspect that DL will take AUS in the same route as RDU and SEA by offering a couple of key international routes such as AUS-AMS/CDG, along with expansion of hubs and secondary cities to help increase traffic. This along with strengthening/expanding a DL/AM network from AUS-GDL/MEX/MTY/PVR and the like. The A220 though will be a key to expanding to other markets from AUS for DL, such AUS-MKE/SJC/ONT/TPA/DCA.

Pure speculation and guessture but we have all seen DL run the same game in BOS/RDU and SEA. They have steadily gained marketshare in each location and when they identify a market as a potential for them they will take the long term approach not just the quick and easy. I would love to see DL expand AUS as a true hub with regional connections like AUS-AMA/CRP/MAF/ELP/ABQ/LIT/SHV. That's me just being selfish as I do go into Texas a lot from ATL and have to transfer many times to either AA or WN for other points such as AMA.

My biggest problem with AUS though is the surrounding infrastructure. The construction on Hwy 183 is abhorrent. Bastrop road in front of the airport is less than desirable though admittedly is getting a bit better but there are not enough eateries and hotels in the vicinity of the airport.

It isn't likely for DL to announce any expansion plans until AUS affirms the date of the build out for the new North Terminal Building and 20-gate Midfield Concourse, that being once the city finds exact funding. Though the terminal expansion project is going to add 9 gates to the existing 24, capacity will hit its limits very soon after and, just like every other part of Austin, the terminal will be hurting for space.

The concept of DL connecting small markets to AUS for connection traffic can be lucrative, but very dicey being that AA and UA have their roots settled deep into certain communities. I am very sure that each and every passenger connecting to ABI/AMA/CRP/MAF/ELP/ABQ/LIT/SHV would rather connect in an airport other than DFW or IAH, so we can keep out fingers crossed. :airplane:

Western727

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:55 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
deltadawg wrote:

It isn't likely for DL to announce any expansion plans until AUS affirms the date of the build out for the new North Terminal Building and 20-gate Midfield Concourse, that being once the city finds exact funding. Though the terminal expansion project is going to add 9 gates to the existing 24, capacity will hit its limits very soon after and, just like every other part of Austin, the terminal will be hurting for space.

The concept of DL connecting small markets to AUS for connection traffic can be lucrative, but very dicey being that AA and UA have their roots settled deep into certain communities. I am very sure that each and every passenger connecting to ABI/AMA/CRP/MAF/ELP/ABQ/LIT/SHV would rather connect in an airport other than DFW or IAH, so we can keep out fingers crossed. :airplane:

Tkoenig95: I'm puzzled at the comment about the main terminal's growth to 33 gates hitting its capacity (of 15 million pax annually) soon after. ABIA announced a record-breaking 15.8 million passengers in 2018, though I wonder if the stated 15 million annual capacity counts for ONLY the main terminal...and excluding the south terminal. Is that the case?
Jack @ AUS

jplatts

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:11 pm

airplaneboy wrote:

There is still significant demand for WN service out of RDU and SEA, even though now DL has a focus city at RDU and a hub at SEA. WN also still carries more passengers per year out of SEA than it does out of most of the other DL hub airports.

Here is the number of domestic passengers per year that WN carries out of DL hub and focus city airports:
ATL - 9,789,000 passengers per year
LAX - 9,679,000 passengers per year
SEA - 3,141,000 passengers per year
BOS - 2,899,000 passengers per year
LGA - 2,733,000 passengers per year
SLC - 2,520,000 passengers per year
RDU - 2,463,000 passengers per year
MSP - 1,948,000 passengers per year
DTW - 1,630,000 passengers per year
CVG - 562,000 passengers per year
JFK - not served by WN

There would likely be more demand for WN service out of AUS than out of any of DL's current hub or focus cities except for ATL and LAX if DL establishes a hub or focus city at AUS.

deltacto

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:16 pm

jplatts wrote:
There would likely be more demand for WN service out of AUS than out of any of DL's current hub or focus cities except for ATL and LAX if DL establishes a hub or focus city at AUS.

what are you trying to say? that once DL opens their hub at AUS, that WN's traffic will increase as well ?

jplatts

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 pm

deltacto wrote:
jplatts wrote:

what are you trying to say? that once DL opens their hub at AUS, that WN's traffic will increase as well ?

The point that I was going to say is that significant demand for WN service out of AUS will very likely be there if DL establishes a hub or focus city at AUS.

There is also more demand for WN service out of RDU and SEA today than was the case 5 years ago, even with DL now having a focus city at RDU and a hub at SEA.

I think that WN traffic out of AUS will probably still increase if DL establishes a hub at AUS.

tkoenig95

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Western727 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
deltadawg wrote:

Tkoenig95: I'm puzzled at the comment about the main terminal's growth to 33 gates hitting its capacity (of 15 million pax annually) soon after. ABIA announced a record-breaking 15.8 million passengers in 2018, though I wonder if the stated 15 million annual capacity counts for ONLY the main terminal...and excluding the south terminal. Is that the case?

http://www.abiamasterplan.com/wp-conten ... -Draft.pdf
If you check out the annual passengers in PAL 1 (2019) the capacity is at 16 million, and 2018 showed us only 200k passengers shy of the expected. That being said, it is curious to know whether or not the 16 million includes the space that the South Terminal provides. Regardless, the Midfield Concourse will be welcomed when construction begins in late 2021.

747superliner

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:09 pm

malev2012 wrote:
747superliner wrote:

If F9, G4 and VC carry the same number of passengers as they did in 2018 this year it'd be about 1.5 million passengers flying from south terminal

Ahh ok, 1.5 million is quite decent for a terminal that size. Although I suspect it is also approaching capacity if it isn't already. They need to move fast on that masterplan don't they?

tkoenig95

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Gregarious1 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

Is today the expansion opening? The airport has been so hush-hush about announcing any official dates though it looks like some departing flights are leaving from the new gate numbers.

masonh2479

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Gregarious1 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

Is today the expansion opening? The airport has been so hush-hush about announcing any official dates though it looks like some departing flights are leaving from the new gate numbers.

The extension opened today.

CPS001

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:02 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Gregarious1 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

Are the flights from the extension just the flights from the erstwhile 1, 2, 3 and 3A, or has there been any shuffling around?

masonh2479

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:05 pm

CPS001 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
Gregarious1 wrote:

Are the flights from the extension just the flights from the erstwhile 1, 2, 3 and 3A, or has there been any shuffling around?

Notably Delta is using pretty much all the new gates. Spirit is also exclusively using gate 12. I don’t know where gate 12 is though. Flights using 1, 2, 3, 3A are still doing so because the stingers are still online for now.

Western727

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
CPS001 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

Notably Delta is using pretty much all the new gates. Spirit is also exclusively using gate 12. I don’t know where gate 12 is though. Flights using 1, 2, 3, 3A are still doing so because the stingers are still online for now.

Finally!! Granted, I doubt you meant that Delta is actually using all the new gates. The stinger gates (1, 2, 3, 3A) have to be removed and then permanent jetways installed on the south side of the extension that's been blocked by the stingers. Or am I mistaken? Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Jack @ AUS

freerover

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Western727 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

Finally!! Granted, I doubt you meant that Delta is actually using all the new gates. The stinger gates (1, 2, 3, 3A) have to be removed and then permanent jetways installed on the south side of the extension that's been blocked by the stingers. Or am I mistaken? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

You're missing a middle process of apron work where the current stingers run to.

The West Infil project is suppose to start construction in a little over a year. That'll help with support facilities like baggage and security checkpoint as passenger processing grows.
Last edited by freerover on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freerover

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:56 pm

deltadawg wrote:
My biggest problem with AUS though is the surrounding infrastructure. The construction on Hwy 183 is abhorrent.

What does that even mean? They are in the process of building a 12-15 lane highway between 290 and 71 as well as rebuilding and improving a 1/4 mile of the 71 mainlanes that will help reduce congestion on the way to the airport. Instead of 71 EB bottlenecking to 2 lanes before 183, it'll stay 3 lanes and add a 4th from frontage traffic and grow to 5 when the 183 toll traffic hits. It'll have a little bit of room to merge back down to 4 lanes. 183 is a very positive development for airport access.

The new braided airport entrance will begin construction in mid 2020 which will eliminate the traffic light which will help as well. I think the biggest negative for the airport are people who have to take 35 to get to 71.

Western727

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:58 pm

freerover wrote:
Western727 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:

You're missing a middle process of apron work where the current stingers run to.

Good point, and you're right. So, remove stingers, fix or pour new concrete where the stingers' support pillars stood, install permanent jetways and associated hardware (ground power, HVAC for aircraft, etc.), repaint the apron to fit the new gates. Exciting times at AUS!
Jack @ AUS

malev2012

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:42 pm

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/econ ... 81312ded34

The viewing deck is such a nice feature!

Western727

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:38 pm

malev2012 wrote:
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/economy/boomtown/austin-airport-opens-9-new-gates-adds-observation-deck/269-fa3f0868-6e3a-4655-858b-6f81312ded34

So the stingers ARE indeed gone and the new jetways installed in their place on the south side of the expansion. Impressive! I've not been to AUS for a few weeks and don't have plans to fly out for another three weeks, so I look forward to ogling at the observation deck. For once, I'll show up 90 or so minutes prior to my flight!
Jack @ AUS

CPS001

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/economy/boomtown/austin-airport-opens-9-new-gates-adds-observation-deck/269-fa3f0868-6e3a-4655-858b-6f81312ded34

So the stingers ARE indeed gone and the new jetways installed in their place on the south side of the expansion. Impressive! I've not been to AUS for a few weeks and don't have plans to fly out for another three weeks, so I look forward to ogling at the observation deck. For once, I'll show up 90 or so minutes prior to my flight!
No the stingers are still in place. There's a video by kxan in which you can see them. The images in the quoted article are from the opposite side of the terminal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos