Piece from two days ago:https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/02/10/tex ... h-in-2018/
1. 2018 saw a 34.5% increase in international traffic.
2. The east-side main terminal expansion will open on 15 February (this coming Friday).
3. The expansion will increase AUS's capacity from its current 11 million/year to 15 million.
4. 2018 saw 15.8 million pax, so the capacity increase will actually be insufficient at the start. !!!
As I recall from earlier replies to this thread:
1. The two furthest-out stinger gates (gates 1 and 2) will be removed to enable access to the north side of the extension.
2. After the north side of the extension becomes operational, the two closest stinger gates (gates 3 and 3A if memory serves) will be removed, after which permanent jetways will get added to the south side that have been blocked by the 4 stinger gates.
Question: when will the two furthest-out stinger gates get removed...and what of the flights that would otherwise have used said gates (in the brief period of time during which the stingers actually get removed)? Will they park in the same spots and use mobile air stairs? Or will the stingers get removed in a brief overnight gig...if that's even possible?
EDIT: clarification in last paragraph.