airplaneboy

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:23 am

malev2012 wrote:
Final 2018 passenger numbers are out: http://austintexas.gov/news/december-20 ... -bergstrom

Thank you for the stats! So WN increased passengers carried already as the largest marketshare leader at almost 5.6 MILLIONS passengers just for December alone. And Delta increased their marketshare by carrying almost 2.1 million passengers in December. Yes, Delta is going to open a hub in AUS with the A220 and displace WN in a market where WN has decades of loyalty and Delta has mostly “spoke” flights to its hubs.

rajincajun01

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 am

airplaneboy wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
Final 2018 passenger numbers are out: http://austintexas.gov/news/december-20 ... -bergstrom

Thank you for the stats! So WN increased passengers carried already as the largest marketshare leader at almost 5.6 MILLIONS passengers just for December alone. And Delta increased their marketshare by carrying almost 2.1 million passengers in December. Yes, Delta is going to open a hub in AUS with the A220 and displace WN in a market where WN has decades of loyalty and Delta has mostly “spoke” flights to its hubs.

Think you read the wrong chart. AUS had 1.2 million pax in December total. WN had 5.6 million for the year. DL had 1.2 million. AUS would be in ATL/ORD territory if we had 7 million pax in a month from two carriers.

airplaneboy

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Ahh, thanks for the clarification and catching my mistake. Nonetheless quite a difference in number of passengers carried between the number 1 and number 2 (and 3,4,5) carriers. It’s amazing that WN still grew the number of passengers flown at AUS despite being the largest carrier by margins far and wide- to still carry nearly one third of all KAUS passenger traffic from 6 gates! Amazing :)

Western727

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 pm

malev2012 wrote:

Can anyone speculate as to why the December figures dropped from November in a steeper fashion than in previous years? I mean, the fairly-obvious answer is the US government shutdown that started on 22 December, but I'm thinking that most had already booked their holiday travel prior to that (thereby limiting the shutdown's impact in the first week or so). And I'm willing to speculate that last-minute travel is fairly limited during the holiday period.

I would imagine January's numbers will show a much greater impact, though, since the shutdown lasted until 25 January...but it's December that I'm more curious about. Thanks in advance.
Jack @ AUS

malev2012

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Can anyone speculate as to why the December figures dropped from November in a steeper fashion than in previous years? I mean, the fairly-obvious answer is the US government shutdown that started on 22 December, but I'm thinking that most had already booked their holiday travel prior to that (thereby limiting the shutdown's impact in the first week or so). And I'm willing to speculate that last-minute travel is fairly limited during the holiday period.

I would imagine January's numbers will show a much greater impact, though, since the shutdown lasted until 25 January...but it's December that I'm more curious about. Thanks in advance.

I don't think AUS is a hotbed of federal government travel. Most of our government travel demand is either the universities or state government. It could be just weather related cancellations for all we know. Or airlines didn't increase frequencies or plane size as much as they had in the past. Who knows, I am curious to see if NK will stimulate more demand moving forward.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Western727

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

I don't think AUS is a hotbed of federal government travel. Most of our government travel demand is either the universities or state government. It could be just weather related cancellations for all we know. Or airlines didn't increase frequencies or plane size as much as they had in the past. Who knows, I am curious to see if NK will stimulate more demand moving forward.

You make a good point about the "hotbed of fed govt travel". I should've clarified that I meant non-federal employee travelers who seemed to have cut back on nonessential travel given the public empathy towards TSA agents working without pay.
Jack @ AUS

Western727

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Piece from two days ago:

https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/02/10/tex ... h-in-2018/

Notables
1. 2018 saw a 34.5% increase in international traffic.
2. The east-side main terminal expansion will open on 15 February (this coming Friday).
3. The expansion will increase AUS's capacity from its current 11 million/year to 15 million.
4. 2018 saw 15.8 million pax, so the capacity increase will actually be insufficient at the start. !!!

As I recall from earlier replies to this thread:

1. The two furthest-out stinger gates (gates 1 and 2) will be removed to enable access to the north side of the extension.
2. After the north side of the extension becomes operational, the two closest stinger gates (gates 3 and 3A if memory serves) will be removed, after which permanent jetways will get added to the south side that have been blocked by the 4 stinger gates.

Question: when will the two furthest-out stinger gates get removed...and what of the flights that would otherwise have used said gates (in the brief period of time during which the stingers actually get removed)? Will they park in the same spots and use mobile air stairs? Or will the stingers get removed in a brief overnight gig...if that's even possible?

EDIT: clarification in last paragraph.
Jack @ AUS

rajincajun01

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Kinda hidden in today’s inaugural coverage but NK will start ATL service May 23. AUS-ATL could use a ULCC.

malev2012

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Kinda hidden in today’s inaugural coverage but NK will start ATL service May 23. AUS-ATL could use a ULCC.

F9 serves it seasonally but more regular service from NK will help drive prices down.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Austin787

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-welcomes-addition-second-air-canada-nonstop-flight-toronto
2nd Daily service 6x weekly.
YYZ-AUS 8:15-10:41
AUS-YYZ 11:25-14:24
Pretty big news on the heels of WS announcement. Perfect timing for summer and the terminal expansion opening. Looks like the northern neighborhood is the place to beat Texas heat!

Especially the Pacific Northwest region - beautiful scenery and (usually) moderate summer temperatures. I too would welcome AUS-YVR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos