trexel94
Topic Author

Kansas City Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Hello All,

2018 was an eventful year for Kansas City

- First ever TATL service via Icelandair which saw great success (around 84% occupancy)
- Further design changes to the new terminal project (an addition of gates from 35 to 39)
- More delays and mishaps with the execution of the new terminal project
- Traffic continues to grow faster than initially projected
- DL, SW, NK, FI, and G4 have added flights to MYR, FLL, SEA, RDU and of course KEF
- F9 drops MCI-JAX
- Onejet drops PIT and never started MEM

- NK will introduce seasonal service to MYR while G4 discontinues the route
- SW will introduce seasonal service to Panama City
- FI will bring back service to KEF with an additional frequency from 3x/weekly to 4x/weekly
- Terminal A jetways have been dismantled and removed to be sold in preparation for demolition
- New terminal ground break will hopefully occur during 1Q 2019.

Wish list for 2019
- SW adds PIT, CLE and JAX
- B6 finally adds MCI (not holding my breath)
- DL upgrades SEA to mainline
- FI makes MCI year round
- BA and/or DE add MCI (even less likely than B6 but there is demand so perhaps when the new airport opens)
- SY adds MCI (hopefully someplace other than Florida)

Happy 2019!

yonikasz

Re: Kansas City Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:51 pm

The LF's for August 2018 for the SEA-MCI flight don't look that great besides Southwest.

Delta/Skywest - 86%
Alaska - 81% (I think they would be better off using the 738's instead of the 739's but I don't know if they have enough slack in the 738 fleet to do this)
Southwest - 91%

I don't think Delta will add mainline to this route. Maybe seasonally on a 717. The 717 does have the range.

When I flew this route I remember the fares were really cheap.

I flew AS MCI-SEA-YVR for like $125 one way and DL/Skywest SEA-MCI for 7,000 miles one way.

williaminsd

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:13 am

At SMF we're looking for Southwest to add MCI in 2019. One of our larger unserved markets...

Jshank83

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:41 am

LFs above 80 are usually considered pretty good. Those SEA loads seem solid to me.

Issue with MCI is until they get the new terminal built, Southwest isn’t adding “connecting opportunities” there, so that really cuts back on options they would add if they had a functional airport. WN looks to be cutting frequencies in 2019 at MCI. I have a feeling they won’t have many new routes added until the new airport it done. SMF (as opposed to MCI-CLE/CMH) might be helped since they are growing SMF and could push the connections on the SMF side.

christao17

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:26 am

What is the realistic timeframe for the new terminal to open? late 2021?
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

trexel94
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 am

christao17 wrote:

Around late 2021 to early 2022 is the goal. However, given the incompetence and mismanagement of the project who knows. It could end up like Brandenburg.

trexel94
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:34 am

trexel94 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

Around late 2021 to early 2022 is the goal. However, given the incompetence and mismanagement of the project who knows. It could end up like Brandenburg. But the jetways from concourse A are already being dismantled and ground break is still scheduled for 1st quarter.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:36 am

trexel94 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

Around late 2021 to early 2022 is the goal. However, given the incompetence and mismanagement of the project who knows. It could end up like Brandenburg.

As of early November.

In addition to the cost going up, the completion date has been pushed back to January 2023.

http://www.plattecountycitizen.com/thep ... -up7112018

I thought I read it slipped a little more due to the shutdown slowing down the EPA environmental assessment, but I would say sometime in 2023 is a safe bet for now.

evank516

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Hoping to see the DL upgauge LGA to the A220.

blhp68

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

As of early November.

In addition to the cost going up, the completion date has been pushed back to January 2023.

http://www.plattecountycitizen.com/thep ... -up7112018

I thought I read it slipped a little more due to the shutdown slowing down the EPA environmental assessment, but I would say sometime in 2023 is a safe bet for now.

Airlines received their "second" opinion back on costs and everything came back "normal". Apparently a majority is NOT needed to sign the term sheet (i.e. not all 8 need to sign).

The government shutdown doesn't help as the next big milestone was the FAA to sign off on assessment.

blhp68

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:05 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Hello All,

- First ever TATL service via Icelandair which saw great success (around 84% occupancy)
- Further design changes to the new terminal project (an addition of gates from 35 to 39)
- DL, SW, NK, FI, and G4 have added flights to MYR, FLL, SEA, RDU and of course KEF
- F9 drops MCI-JAX

- FI will bring back service to KEF with an additional frequency from 3x/weekly to 4x/weekly
- Terminal A jetways have been dismantled and removed to be sold in preparation for demolition

Wish list for 2019
- BA and/or DE add MCI (even less likely than B6 but there is demand so perhaps when the new airport opens)

Happy 2019!

Upgrade on UA to IAD
Would love to see the above mentioned SW adds
New TATL announcement for 2020 service?!

jplatts

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 pm

While SAV isn't currently served nonstop from MCI, G4 could add MCI-SAV nonstop service since MCI is one of the largest markets in the Midwest that doesn't already have nonstop service to SAV.

ctrabs0114

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Hello All,

- F9 drops MCI-JAX

Wish list for 2019

Happy 2019!

There was a fair amount of connecting traffic from MCI to PIT via STL when I flew that route on WN last January; I would suspect there might be similar ICO patterns via MDW as well. Whether that translates into sufficient non-stop service between MCI and PIT remains to be seen, but I'll agree with the previous comments that new routes from WN - or any other carrier - appears unlikely until the new terminal is completed.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
Hello All,

- F9 drops MCI-JAX

Wish list for 2019

Happy 2019!

There was a fair amount of connecting traffic from MCI to PIT via STL when I flew that route on WN last January; I would suspect there might be similar ICO patterns via MDW as well. Whether that translates into sufficient non-stop service between MCI and PIT remains to be seen, but I'll agree with the previous comments that new routes from WN - or any other carrier - appears unlikely until the new terminal is completed.

Here is the data on that
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

dochawk2

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm

trexel94 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

You are so right. Talk about a terminal not taking flight!!! I am so disappointed at how the city is handling this project. If this were only a private sector job or a few miles to the west (meaning in KS) it would be completed promptly and at or under budget. I see this project similar to when DEN was built except the light version. There will be massive cost overruns and delays for stupid reasons which prolong the KC area getting a viable terminal to attract/handle growth.
God, give us wings to fly!

blhp68

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
Hello All,

- F9 drops MCI-JAX

Wish list for 2019

Happy 2019!

Here is the data on that

Is that data image a free service (I know you can pull this down from DOT but I don't feel like it is in a clean format) or something you subscribe too?

strangeplanes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 am

dochawk2 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

You are so right. Talk about a terminal not taking flight!!! I am so disappointed at how the city is handling this project. If this were only a private sector job or a few miles to the west (meaning in KS) it would be completed promptly and at or under budget. I see this project similar to when DEN was built except the light version. There will be massive cost overruns and delays for stupid reasons which prolong the KC area getting a viable terminal to attract/handle growth.

I don’t think your comment is really based in reality. A Kansas side project would cost well over $10Billion and would never get the FAA and Airline support to proceed. Sure the city has played some games and slowed the process down but soo too has the federal government and the airlines. Currently, 3 ordinances are scheduled for tomorrow’s city council meeting, the ordinances if approved allow for the sale of $2 Billion in airport revenue bonds. At this point, the ball is truly in the airlines and the FAA’s courts.

dochawk2

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 am

strangeplanes wrote:
dochawk2 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

I don’t think your comment is really based in reality. A Kansas side project would cost well over $10Billion and would never get the FAA and Airline support to proceed. Sure the city has played some games and slowed the process down but soo too has the federal government and the airlines. Currently, 3 ordinances are scheduled for tomorrow’s city council meeting, the ordinances if approved allow for the sale of $2 Billion in airport revenue bonds. At this point, the ball is truly in the airlines and the FAA’s courts.

I'm sorry if I didn't communicate clearly. I was being fascious when I commnented about it being in Kansas. I meant that if the airport was already in KS. I didn't mean to imply that they should build a new airport in KS.

But I do think the city is culpable for a lot of the blame on this one. Just an opinion based on people I know in local government. I certainly could be wrong. I hope I am.

trexel94
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 am

2018 was the second busiest year in history for MCI totaling 11,850,825 passengers.

https://www.aviationpros.com/press_rele ... in-history

Second busiest year but with only 2 concourses instead of the original 3. What's the slot situation like?

strangeplanes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 pm

trexel94 wrote:
2018 was the second busiest year in history for MCI totaling 11,850,825 passengers.

https://www.aviationpros.com/press_rele ... in-history

Second busiest year but with only 2 concourses instead of the original 3. What's the slot situation like?

MCI is almost at capacity. They have said that there isn’t really any room left for new entrants to the market. Recently, WN had to start giving up gates in Terminal B to make room on the airside for construction.

trexel94
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:26 pm

Aircraft upgrades and new airline speculation.

- Icelandair is bringing back the 757 on certain days late September 2019 towards the end of the season. Seems odd to place the 757 when summer traffic is dying down. Perhaps they'll bring it back in 2020?

- UA is (temporarily at least) upgrading MCI-IAD with an A319 for spring and summer. First time i've ever seen a mainline flight on this route.

- UA is sporadically swapping the E175 for the 737-800 on the MCI-SFO route.

- Volaris is planning to add new US cities in 2019 primarily i'm assuming from GDL. I came across a publication and an a.net thread about two years ago that Volaris was applying for traffic rights to a slew of US cities which included MCI. Perhaps this could be it?

trexel94
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am

The airlines have finally reached an agreement for funding the new airport. Construction is now imminent however I believe the FAA still needs to finalize the environmental audit which was delayed during the govt shutdown. Gotta appease the tree huggers.

https://www.kcur.org/post/airlines-agre ... t#stream/0

ncflyer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:49 am

Excellent news. Trexel are you suggesting the environments study is a waste? I don’t know a lot about them.

trexel94
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 am

ncflyer wrote:
Excellent news. Trexel are you suggesting the environments study is a waste? I don’t know a lot about them.

Just a passive aggressive jab at govt bureaucracy. Its probably for the best but I hate lengthy red-tape procedures especially for an already delayed and highly anticipated project. Just get it built already!

Jshank83

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:11 am

Councilwoman Teresa Loar, 2nd District at-large, said she was told that that new price was $1.5 billion. She said she wanted to know what kind of changes to the design would have to be made to bring the price down by $140 million.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 38525.html

I will be curious to see what changes. But it is good to see things moving along.

dochawk2

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:17 am

blhp68

Re: MCI thread - 2018

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:24 pm

More to come at the 2/7/19 hearing but this was published last night: https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 38525.html

evank516

Re: MCI thread - 2018

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 pm

Was just at MCI this weekend. Asked the Delta agents if they heard anything about seeing the A220 on the LGA flights. They didn't know.

SQ22

Kansas City Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1387409

Midwestindy

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

trexel94
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 am

30% increase in TATL traffic during 2018 from MCI marketing director. Presumably through the introduction of FI. December hasn't been calculated yet but if numbers are slightly smaller than November (say 265 pdew) it would translate to roughly 138,000 passengers crossing the pond. Not bad considering before FI appeared the PDEW was around 116,000 annually.

https://twitter.com/justinmeyerkc/statu ... 35392?s=21

strangeplanes

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:19 am

Midwestindy wrote:

Looks like enough summer traffic to support 1-2 additional airlines. It also looks like we should be seeing an expanded summer tatl schedule next year.

trexel94
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Alaska Airlines will be upgrading MCI-SAN to a 737-900 from the E175 starting this late August.

dochawk2

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 pm

trexel94 wrote:
30% increase in TATL traffic during 2018 from MCI marketing director. Presumably through the introduction of FI. December hasn't been calculated yet but if numbers are slightly smaller than November (say 265 pdew) it would translate to roughly 138,000 passengers crossing the pond. Not bad considering before FI appeared the PDEW was around 116,000 annually.

https://twitter.com/justinmeyerkc/statu ... 35392?s=21

This is such great news. While I haven't flown on FI, I have had several friends who have out of MCI. All favorable reviews and they loved the ease without having to connect stateside. While this is just an opinion, if another major carrier would roll the dice on KC, I think they would be pleasantly surprised at the TATL possibilities from MCI. No, it will never be huge, but I do think it would be steady and support 3 -4 flights/week at 75%+ load factors. Of course, I could be horribly wrong.

SANFan

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 am

trexel94 wrote:
Alaska Airlines will be upgrading MCI-SAN to a 737-900 from the E175 starting this late August.

I just came over to this thread to report this as well! Not only is it a very nice upgrade but the sked is totally revised:

Currently: Lv MCI: 8:05am.......Arr SAN: 10:15am AS 3386 DLY EMJ
...... and...Lv SAN: 5:05pm.......Arr MCI: 10:15pm AS 3480 DLY EMJ (a/c RONs in KC)

Eff. 8/27: Lv MCI: 1:30pm.....Arr SAN: 3:00pm AS 985 DLY 737
.....and... Lv SAN: 7:00am....Arr MCI: 12:20pm AS 984 DLY 737 (it appears the a/c will turn in KC and return to SAN)

[Reminder: this change is 6 months out so, given today's airline industry, it's subject to not happening.]

From a SAN-wise corporate view, I think the new times will be very well received; travelers from the west coast will be able to get right to work after lunch in KC. Likewise, they can head home after lunch on their travel day. Will this sked go over well with business travelers from Missouri?

It looks like WN will have 9:40am and 7:30pm departures from MCI in Sept.; returns depart SAN at 6:30am and 7:55pm.

Nice to see an upgrade from AS after slightly over a year of flying the route (started Dec 2017!)

bb

KentB27

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 am

christao17 wrote:

They say it should be completed by the early 2020s but they haven't even started yet and there are already hurt feelings and financial disagreements. That doesn't even take into consideration any difficulties or delays they might run into with construction. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new terminal doesn't get completed until the mid 2020s.

jbpdx

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 am

Dueling cutbacks by Alaska and Southwest have left PDX-MCI with no nonstops from 7 April-15 May, hardly a slow travel time.

Jshank83

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 am

KentB27 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

They say it should be completed by the early 2020s but they haven't even started yet and there are already hurt feelings and financial disagreements. That doesn't even take into consideration any difficulties or delays they might run into with construction. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new terminal doesn't get completed until the mid 2020s.

Last date I projection I saw was early 2023. That was in November. So I am guessing it has pushed some since then. Late 2023?

blhp68

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
KentB27 wrote:
christao17 wrote:

Last date I projection I saw was early 2023. That was in November. So I am guessing it has pushed some since then. Late 2023?

Latest newsletter with concepts: https://issuu.com/edgemoorinfrastructur ... ail_ame/32

blhp68

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Council will vote on final development agreement tomorrow https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... s_headline

Sure it will be theatrical as it has been so far....

strangeplanes

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:00 pm

blhp68 wrote:
Council will vote on final development agreement tomorrow https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... s_headline

Council approved the project on Thursday. Demolition equipment started to arrive onsite Friday morning. I also heard that a large crane has been installed already. https://twitter.com/justinmeyerkc/status/1101493691468955649?s=21

Southwest is building an extension to Terminal B to handle additional BHS equipment.
https://twitter.com/TomGerend/status/1101133857225494528

blhp68

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:48 pm

strangeplanes wrote:
blhp68 wrote:

Council approved the project on Thursday. Demolition equipment started to arrive onsite Friday morning. I also heard that a large crane has been installed already. https://twitter.com/justinmeyerkc/status/1101493691468955649?s=21

Southwest is building an extension to Terminal B to handle additional BHS equipment.
https://twitter.com/TomGerend/status/1101133857225494528

Made it up to city hall to "witness" the vote. Not as dramatic as I anticipated. Glad it passed, let's do this!

blhp68

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Groundbreaking set for 3/25.

Cactus739

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

So Spirit, Frontier and Allegisnt didn’t sign the agreement with the city of KCMO for the fees at the new terminal. What exactly does that mean for them? Since it’s just going to be one terminal wouldn’t they have no other choices do they?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Jshank83

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 am

Cactus739 wrote:
So Spirit, Frontier and Allegisnt didn’t sign the agreement with the city of KCMO for the fees at the new terminal. What exactly does that mean for them? Since it’s just going to be one terminal wouldn’t they have no other choices do they?

They could end service to the airport. Allegiant and Frontier don’t have many flights anyway.

TVNWZ

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Cactus739 wrote:

Keep negotiating.

strangeplanes

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:11 am

TVNWZ wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Cactus739 wrote:

Keep negotiating.

(no) They can either sign or pay a higher fee.

strangeplanes

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:12 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Cactus739 wrote:

They could end service to the airport. Allegiant and Frontier don’t have many flights anyway.

Allegiant wasn't signed on to the existing agreement anyways.

strangeplanes

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:12 am

blhp68 wrote:
Groundbreaking set for 3/25.

Some foundation work started this week.

TVNWZ

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:50 pm

strangeplanes wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Cactus739 wrote:

Keep negotiating.

(no) They can either sign or pay a higher fee.

Lol. No. Everything is negotiable. Just business.