whywhyzee

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:09 pm

AA is rapidly moving from the former largest US carrier at YYZ to the smallest. The growth from DL and lately UA has been insane. UA has grown IAH and DEN especially this winter which is impressive, and have a 2x daily SFO service beginning in a couple months. They are down to only IAD and 1x daily ORD/IAH on express from a few years ago where it was almost all express.

DL continues to gradually add flights and upguage, ATL will be 7x daily MD88s this summer for example. I'm waiting for DL to bring in LAX, as is highly speculated as a result of the WS tie-up. Anna Aero took a look at connecting traffic via ORD a while back, SFO, LAX and HNL were among the top overall and top Canadian connections, I anticipate some growth there.

Flightsimboy

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
https://ibb.co/v3PXzdL

An overview of YYZ international service weekly one way seats this winter, omitting Sun destinations.

Side note, does anyone actually know how to post photos on here?

Is this O&D. DXB had 4K seats compared to others in the region. The high DXB numbers could also mean onward traffic. Besides they also operate the A380.

Airontario

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

An overview of YYZ international service weekly one way seats this winter, omitting Sun destinations.

Is this O&D. DXB had 4K seats compared to others in the region. The high DXB numbers could also mean onward traffic. Besides they also operate the A380.

Pretty sure it's purely seats available to be sold. Load Factor doesn't come in to play.

whywhyzee

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

It’s simply available seats, no consideration of LF or O/D %. DXB likely does a lot of connections, above the average, however, the O/D is considerable, remember, AC contributes 1600 weekly one way seats to that tally, with no real onward connection opportunities.

yyz717

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
AA is rapidly moving from the former largest US carrier at YYZ to the smallest. The growth from DL and lately UA has been insane. UA has grown IAH and DEN especially this winter which is impressive, and have a 2x daily SFO service beginning in a couple months. They are down to only IAD and 1x daily ORD/IAH on express from a few years ago where it was almost all express.

DL continues to gradually add flights and upguage, ATL will be 7x daily MD88s this summer for example. I'm waiting for DL to bring in LAX, as is highly speculated as a result of the WS tie-up. Anna Aero took a look at connecting traffic via ORD a while back, SFO, LAX and HNL were among the top overall and top Canadian connections, I anticipate some growth there.

The decline of AA at YYZ is indeed sad. AA pulled the daily YYZ-LAX nonstop A319 in January. The last M80 flight is scheduled for Thurs Feb 14th (YYZ-DFW). The current 2x daily M80 YYZ-DFW will be replaced (upgraded to 738) but the daily YYZ-DFW E175 will cease. Only 5 daily AA mainline left (2x DFW, 3x MIA). Perhaps growth of the YYZ-RDU market (currently 4x daily CR9/E175) will see mainline in due course.

Like you said whywhyzee, DL will be 7x daily M88 this summer. The DL 717 is not scheduled into YYZ this summer.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

jplatts

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 pm

whywhyzee wrote:

One big difference is that AC is a codeshare and Star Alliance partner of UA, whereas AA no longer has any Canadian codeshare partners. Another big difference is that DL has a codeshare partnership with WS.

whywhyzee

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm

yyz717 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

The decline of AA at YYZ is indeed sad. AA pulled the daily YYZ-LAX nonstop A319 in January. The last M80 flight is scheduled for Thurs Feb 14th (YYZ-DFW). The current 2x daily M80 YYZ-DFW will be replaced (upgraded to 738) but the daily YYZ-DFW E175 will cease. Only 5 daily AA mainline left (2x DFW, 3x MIA). Perhaps growth of the YYZ-RDU market (currently 4x daily CR9/E175) will see mainline in due course.

Like you said whywhyzee, DL will be 7x daily M88 this summer. The DL 717 is not scheduled into YYZ this summer.

I suspect the DL 717 will still come from MSP and DTW this summer.

As for AA, latest OAG post shows an increase for CLT, up ton5x daily, but LGA down to 4x (which likely means larger equipment). No doubt however they are at their lowest point, I imagine they will bounce back, but that will be based on O/D, so it'll be a slow build, especially as UA/DL/AC and WS grow to and from the US.

yyz717

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 pm

whywhyzee wrote:

I checked the MSP and DTW skeds....no DL mainline for summer (so far). So no 717.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

whywhyzee

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 pm

yyz717 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

I checked the MSP and DTW skeds....no DL mainline for summer (so far). So no 717.

How do the frequencies compare, would have thought they would continue to grow, especially considering the WestJet partnership. Unless they have added frequencies, seems strange.

I could also see WS adding some flying in these routes, I highly doubt they would cut flying at this time. Do you know how these frequencies compare to last year? I don't have the data for s18.

yyz717

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm

This summer YYZ-DTW is showing 5x DL daily (CR7/CR9) and YYZ-MSP is showing 4x DL daily (CR9/E175).

So far, anyway.

whywhyzee

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:49 pm

yyz717 wrote:
This summer YYZ-DTW is showing 5x DL daily (CR7/CR9) and YYZ-MSP is showing 4x DL daily (CR9/E175).

So far, anyway.

Sorry, that I know, I meant do you have last year’s data to compare?

yycdel

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm

whywhyzee wrote:

This is quite interesting, but I believe DXB numbers are incorrect. According to those numbers AC would be operating 5 weekly 77W, however I think it's actually 4 weekly. Also, they seem to have reduced it to 3 weekly now......

And is the Jet DEL flight counted under AMS?

whywhyzee

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:17 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... hallenges/

Might be worth a read, interesting information regarding some potential future expansion from AC.

YYZLGA
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 am

whywhyzee wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/282686/how-air-canada-is-facing-up-to-its-challenges/

Might be worth a read, interesting information regarding some potential future expansion from AC.

Very interesting. He says that high taxes make life difficult for a potential ULCC, and that's definitely true. The thing is, much of that "tax" is actually airport improvement fees. If a ULCC is going to work in this country, they're going to have to build their own budget terminals that exempt them from some or all of the AIF. Flying a "ULCC" out of the lavish facilities at most big Canadian airports is a non-starter.

“Then of course when the winter hits, Canadians want to go south, and our utilisation of our long-haul wide-body fleet is not nearly as high in winter as it is in the summer and that partly drives our earnings and our margins down in the first quarter.”

This is from the article. It really strongly points to one of the the strengths of Rouge, which has aircraft better configured for shorter-haul sun destinations. It also suggests that there's something to be said for using narrowbodies for more transatlantic flying, since they're better suited to short-haul sun destinations than the big widebodies. One other more out-there thought: has anybody developed a "quick swap" system for J-class seating? Some kind of modular system that would allow the lie-flats to be swapped out seasonally for domestic J seats and more Y during a regular maintenance interval. I'm not sure if that would ever be possible, or if it would be worth the disruption, but it would help airlines like AC adapt their planes for the very different needs of summer and winter.

Interesting that they mention Philippines, Vietnam, and Singapore as possible future expansions. The first two have large diaspora communities in Canada, though I don't think they tend to visit their birth countries as frequently as, say, the Chinese-Canadian community. That could change, of course. I think Singapore would be tough to make work, especially if SQ hasn't managed it. The problem is that AC isn't likely to be able to get much connecting traffic.

whywhyzee

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 am

YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/282686/how-air-canada-is-facing-up-to-its-challenges/

Very interesting. He says that high taxes make life difficult for a potential ULCC, and that's definitely true. The thing is, much of that "tax" is actually airport improvement fees. If a ULCC is going to work in this country, they're going to have to build their own budget terminals that exempt them from some or all of the AIF. Flying a "ULCC" out of the lavish facilities at most big Canadian airports is a non-starter.

“Then of course when the winter hits, Canadians want to go south, and our utilisation of our long-haul wide-body fleet is not nearly as high in winter as it is in the summer and that partly drives our earnings and our margins down in the first quarter.”

This is from the article. It really strongly points to one of the the strengths of Rouge, which has aircraft better configured for shorter-haul sun destinations. It also suggests that there's something to be said for using narrowbodies for more transatlantic flying, since they're better suited to short-haul sun destinations than the big widebodies. One other more out-there thought: has anybody developed a "quick swap" system for J-class seating? Some kind of modular system that would allow the lie-flats to be swapped out seasonally for domestic J seats and more Y during a regular maintenance interval. I'm not sure if that would ever be possible, or if it would be worth the disruption, but it would help airlines like AC adapt their planes for the very different needs of summer and winter.

Interesting that they mention Philippines, Vietnam, and Singapore as possible future expansions. The first two have large diaspora communities in Canada, though I don't think they tend to visit their birth countries as frequently as, say, the Chinese-Canadian community. That could change, of course. I think Singapore would be tough to make work, especially if SQ hasn't managed it. The problem is that AC isn't likely to be able to get much connecting traffic.

I think a big goal moving forward has to be to improve winter long haul flying, and granted, they have come a long way, there is just a lot of ground to cover. Mainline, at least out of YYZ is pretty much consistent, other than KEF, I can’t think of any seasonal long hauls (soon BOM will ne on that list, but it’s the opposite season). What they need to do is bring up frequencies on routes like CPH and ZRH during the off-season. If they can get them to year round daily. I think that would really help. The real variation is in rouge, which does basicially zero winter Europe flying in the winter and a ton in the summer, but that suits its model well, so it stands to reason that any destinations that warrant a winter service might fit better at mainline, provided they can fill a J cabin. I believe having year round demand and yield and justifying mainline probably aren’t mutually exclusive.

As for the expansion, I found that interesting, as it is one of the first public acknowledgements of their aspirations in south east Asia with that level of detail. It also basicially confirms what many agree on that they need more widebodies, amd likely are actively shopping around. I think continuing to work closely with India and looking into Southeast Asia is a smart call, that’s where the world is growing and with that will co,e demand. If they have the advantage of being early to jump in to those markets, they set themselves up well in the long run. Before the year is out, I imagine more used widebodies, likely A333s will be procured. Too many available at a good price to turn down, and it opens up so much possible expansion on the longer haul side with the 787. Good times ahead.

whywhyzee

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:12 am

YYZLGA
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:17 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-06/westjet-cools-on-smallest-boeing-737-max-as-ceo-rethinks-fleet?fbclid=IwAR1e0_a8Gp11RgC4AakkbPPz4AsYBUi3nxzK1ebvdeb0rf8es2s9Ihj_AZo

Interesting read.

In so many ways, the CSeries is an ideal aircraft for WestJet. These MAX8s are a lot of plane for many of WestJet's routes. It's going to be a big capacity gap between the MAX8 and Q400. They've already abandoned the Southwest single-type fleet...

Dominion301

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-06/westjet-cools-on-smallest-boeing-737-max-as-ceo-rethinks-fleet?fbclid=IwAR1e0_a8Gp11RgC4AakkbPPz4AsYBUi3nxzK1ebvdeb0rf8es2s9Ihj_AZo

Interesting read.

In so many ways, the CSeries is an ideal aircraft for WestJet. These MAX8s are a lot of plane for many of WestJet's routes. It's going to be a big capacity gap between the MAX8 and Q400. They've already abandoned the Southwest single-type fleet...

True, but they still have a pile of 736/73Gs that aren't going anywhere anytime soon...at least in any significant quantity. I know a couple of years ago 10 73Gs were sent packing to WN.

20 789s is ambitious. They'll first need to figure out how to operate globally with 10 of them.

whywhyzee

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

Interesting read.

True, but they still have a pile of 736/73Gs that aren't going anywhere anytime soon...at least in any significant quantity. I know a couple of years ago 10 73Gs were sent packing to WN.

20 789s is ambitious. They'll first need to figure out how to operate globally with 10 of them.

It’s definitely a long term goal, and I think it makes sense. There are certain benefits of a larger fleet, network coverage and economies of scale wise. What I find most interesting is their plan to take the max 10 TATL. While YHZ might work for now as a scissor, I think something like a 797 would make a lot of sense for them,amd will likely be easier to fill and manage than a larger 789 fleet. It’ll have the range for YYZ/YYC-Europe and a good size that they will be able to fill year round. Timeline wise, it also makes sense, their long haul ops should be stabilized by the time it enters service.

whywhyzee

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:04 pm

As per another poster in the AC S19 changes thread, AC YYZ-AMS moves to a 400 seat 77W for the summer.

YYZLGA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 am

whywhyzee wrote:
As per another poster in the AC S19 changes thread, AC YYZ-AMS moves to a 400 seat 77W for the summer.

It blows my mind that AC didn't even operate the route until a few years ago.

whywhyzee

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

It blows my mind that AC didn't even operate the route until a few years ago.

It should become the 2nd busiest intercontinental destination from YYZ in 2019, passing FRA.

whywhyzee

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthr ... 6&page=373

Huge AC changes, lots of increase for YYZ.

Highlights include YYZ-SFO gaining a 77W, LA gaining a 77L, FRA second flight to 789, more YYC 763 flying and significant express flying upguages/conversions to rouge.

Net it looks like some pretty big capacity increases. SFO is looking particularly strong, between AC and UA it will be operated 9x daily.

whywhyzee

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4346187 ... 596173810/

Image showing the new 5 gates on the F pier.

smallmj

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/434618733320212/permalink/2006082596173810/

Unfortunately your link is to a closed group that ignored my request to join a couple of weeks ago.

Are you permitted to post a link that is open to the world?

Also, I thought the new gates were on the back of the G pier.

whywhyzee

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:29 am

smallmj wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/434618733320212/permalink/2006082596173810/

Unfortunately your link is to a closed group that ignored my request to join a couple of weeks ago.

Are you permitted to post a link that is open to the world?

I have the photo saved, however, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to share it on here.

They are on the back of F, G is in the very early stages of construction.

smallmj

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:34 pm

The 2017 YYZ master plan states this on page 62.

Increasing the capacity and accessibility of Pier A, a satellite facility of Terminal 3 (see Figure 7-4),
is an important part of Toronto Pearson’s efforts to meet growing demand. As a first step, we plan to demolish the
Hangar 8 maintenance facility. We expect demolition to be completed in 2018, and the area should be converted
to apron space by 2019. We then plan to develop a link between the north end of Pier A and the west end of
Terminal 3, with five gates along its span serving narrow body aircraft by 2021.

Has the demolition of this hangar started yet? It is the hangar closest to Terminal 3, and definitely in the way of the possible expansion of Terminal 3 shown in the diagram on page 64.

whywhyzee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:43 pm

smallmj wrote:
The 2017 YYZ master plan states this on page 62.

Increasing the capacity and accessibility of Pier A, a satellite facility of Terminal 3 (see Figure 7-4),
is an important part of Toronto Pearson’s efforts to meet growing demand. As a first step, we plan to demolish the
Hangar 8 maintenance facility. We expect demolition to be completed in 2018, and the area should be converted
to apron space by 2019. We then plan to develop a link between the north end of Pier A and the west end of
Terminal 3, with five gates along its span serving narrow body aircraft by 2021.

Has the demolition of this hangar started yet? It is the hangar closest to Terminal 3, and definitely in the way of the possible expansion of Terminal 3 shown in the diagram on page 64.

To my knowledge, no. However, I haven't been to that part of the airfield in over a month, I'll be in and out next week and will see if I can get a look at it. If I had to guess, they are going to wait until the summer, it can't possibly take that long to flatten what is already a rather small hangar.

Regarding the area, I imagine a reduced need for it has been seen as they have expanded operations out of the infield terminal in lieu of building more ramp space. Sunwing is currently trialing use of the IFT, and is slated to continue to partially use it through the balance of the winter season.

YYZLGA
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 am

whywhyzee wrote:
smallmj wrote:

I have the photo saved, however, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to share it on here.

Isn't F the hammerhead pier though? I thought Pier H was the one that's in the early stages.

whywhyzee

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:05 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
smallmj wrote:

Isn't F the hammerhead pier though? I thought Pier H was the one that's in the early stages.

The hammerhead is E, F is the US gates, G is the new one. (I'm fairly certain at least haha).

Johnlopato

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:18 pm

yyz717 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

AA has increased PHL and CLT for the summer YYZ schedule. CLTYYZ 5 times a day with 1 A319 service.

YYZORD

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Where is this info located?

Johnlopato wrote:
yyz717 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

AA has increased PHL and CLT for the summer YYZ schedule. CLTYYZ 5 times a day with 1 A319 service.

whywhyzee

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Johnlopato wrote:
yyz717 wrote:

The CLT frequency change was noted 2 weeks ago in the OAG thread. LGA was also lowered to 4x daily, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes there, those types of routes see change weekly in terms of frequencies and often types operating.

The fact that AA is bringing CLT onto mainline however is a very good sign, it indicates to me at least that they are still able to attract YYZ based pax and bring them into their network. I don't imagine that is a massive O/D route.

YYZORD

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:47 pm

The AA increase in PHL is probably due to QR, I'd much rather transit with a oneworld carrier on QR like AA instead of WS, PD or AC at YUL & BOS as I get oneworld points and guranteed check in.

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Johnlopato wrote:

The CLT frequency change was noted 2 weeks ago in the OAG thread. LGA was also lowered to 4x daily, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes there, those types of routes see change weekly in terms of frequencies and often types operating.

The fact that AA is bringing CLT onto mainline however is a very good sign, it indicates to me at least that they are still able to attract YYZ based pax and bring them into their network. I don't imagine that is a massive O/D route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos