whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 pm

master14225 wrote:
Anyone know if maybe NH or JL will start a daily route to YYZ in maybe 2020 once slots open up at NRT or HND?


There was a thread about the Japanese slot allocations previously on here, it seemed to conclude that would be likely. The 789 would be perfect for the route from either of them.
 
AIRTRANSAT767
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Super JAL in Toronto! that would be great
i love air transat and fan all boeing
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 pm

I think NH would be more likely as they are partners with AC from Star Alliance. AC only flies to HND year round, a year round NRT route could work for NH. AC's route network to Eastern Canada and Northeast & Florida US destinations would make YYZ a perfect destination. If AC can make a JV with either UA or NH, that would be a game changer for YYZ as an airport.

whywhyzee wrote:
master14225 wrote:
Anyone know if maybe NH or JL will start a daily route to YYZ in maybe 2020 once slots open up at NRT or HND?


There was a thread about the Japanese slot allocations previously on here, it seemed to conclude that would be likely. The 789 would be perfect for the route from either of them.
Last edited by master14225 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Does anyone know how Emirates and Etihad are doing on their flights since they were allowed to increase their capacity to YYZ? What are the loads?
 
LMFNINJA
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:35 am

dozerman wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:
TK may be next with the Dreamliners.


Not a chance, unless the government grants more frequency rights to TK. They currently fly 6 weekly to YYZ and 3 weekly to YUL. IST-YYZ is one of the highest load factor routes in TK's network, so they fly their largest equipment (77W) to YYZ. TK has shown interest in YVR, so even if they get a couple additional frequencies, they probably would bump YYZ to daily and start a flight to YVR. I do not see them using anything smaller than 77W if they don't have more than daily flights to YYZ.


I agree 100% that YYZ-IST will remain 77W because of the huge demand. I have flown that route several times and each time it is packed solid with no vacant seats. They could probably fill an A380 if they so desired.
 
edealinfo
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:33 am

>>>>I agree 100% that YYZ-IST will remain 77W because of the huge demand. I have flown that route several times and each time it is packed solid with no vacant seats. They could probably fill an A380 if they so desired.

So, why aren't they starting a second daily frequency?
 
AirNovaBAe146
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 am

I see JAL several times per year at YYZ, usually in the fall. I'm presuming charters?
 
billsalton92
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 am

AirNovaBAe146 wrote:
I see JAL several times per year at YYZ, usually in the fall. I'm presuming charters?

Once or twice during a single week in the fall. Far from several times a year
 
YYZflyboy
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:17 am

edealinfo wrote:
>>>>I agree 100% that YYZ-IST will remain 77W because of the huge demand. I have flown that route several times and each time it is packed solid with no vacant seats. They could probably fill an A380 if they so desired.

So, why aren't they starting a second daily frequency?


AC used to have a YYZ-IST on its own high-density 77W, until the political upheaval in Turkey forced them to shut down operations because of security fears.
 
dozerman
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:53 am

edealinfo wrote:
So, why aren't they starting a second daily frequency?


TK doesn't have the bilateral rights for more flights, and they are using their largest equipment on the route. They don't even have daily flights yet. I'm sure they would've started extra flights by now if they didn't have any restrictions.

YYZflyboy wrote:
AC used to have a YYZ-IST on its own high-density 77W, until the political upheaval in Turkey forced them to shut down operations because of security fears.


AC used a mix of 787-8 and 787-9. The political situation has calmed down enough for them to resume flights by now, but IIRC they used the aircraft freed from that route to somewhere else in Europe (MAD or MXP maybe?). If AC can find the capacity, I'm sure the flight would be successful again.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm

I seem to recall Turkey and Canada entering bilateral talks last year, with any luck, they can open up the rights a little bit. YYaz could use at least one more flight per week to make it daily, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind more, or another Canadian destination.

In other news, the new all glass jetbridges for the G pier are in Canada and on their way to YYZ for installation. I am personally really excited to check the new area out, it should be a significant improvement.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Icelandair has changed the planned YYZ service for the summer, it will now be 2x daily, 1 752 and one 7M8 beginning in mid May. This is an update from the planned 11x weekly services that would have been 7x 753 and 4x 7M8. Overall capacity goes up 12%.
 
User avatar
yyz717
Posts: 15750
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:26 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Icelandair has changed the planned YYZ service for the summer, it will now be 2x daily, 1 752 and one 7M8 beginning in mid May. This is an update from the planned 11x weekly services that would have been 7x 753 and 4x 7M8. Overall capacity goes up 12%.


Ah too bad we're losing the daily 753. ICE gets it first 7M9 this month. Maybe the 753 or 7M9 will sub in once in a while.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:30 pm

yyz717 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
Icelandair has changed the planned YYZ service for the summer, it will now be 2x daily, 1 752 and one 7M8 beginning in mid May. This is an update from the planned 11x weekly services that would have been 7x 753 and 4x 7M8. Overall capacity goes up 12%.


Ah too bad we're losing the daily 753. ICE gets it first 7M9 this month. Maybe the 753 or 7M9 will sub in once in a while.


There will be about 3 weeks of 757-300 service, from mid September until October 1st. Thereafter, the 7M9 is scheduled daily from October 2nd onwards.
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 pm

When do you think the new gates will open?

whywhyzee wrote:
I seem to recall Turkey and Canada entering bilateral talks last year, with any luck, they can open up the rights a little bit. YYaz could use at least one more flight per week to make it daily, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind more, or another Canadian destination.

In other news, the new all glass jetbridges for the G pier are in Canada and on their way to YYZ for installation. I am personally really excited to check the new area out, it should be a significant improvement.
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 pm

I went and saw the new gates under construction at "Pier G" a few weeks ago. They're definitely still some time away from completion. The boarding lounge is at ground level, and you can see that there's a back and forth ramp that passengers will have to climb to get to the jetway level at each of the gates. These aren't going to be particularly popular gates with passengers, I'd imagine, but they'll definitely add some capacity.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
I went and saw the new gates under construction at "Pier G" a few weeks ago. They're definitely still some time away from completion. The boarding lounge is at ground level, and you can see that there's a back and forth ramp that passengers will have to climb to get to the jetway level at each of the gates. These aren't going to be particularly popular gates with passengers, I'd imagine, but they'll definitely add some capacity.


This will at least keep it level with the rest of the pier, with any luck they will take down the walls in between, should open the area up nicely. Definately not luxury accommodations, but certainly a step in the right direction.
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Also how many more gates can be added after this at Pier G, I was thinking 5 if building a pier G expansion southwards. I'm not sure if a northward expansion is possible.

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
I went and saw the new gates under construction at "Pier G" a few weeks ago. They're definitely still some time away from completion. The boarding lounge is at ground level, and you can see that there's a back and forth ramp that passengers will have to climb to get to the jetway level at each of the gates. These aren't going to be particularly popular gates with passengers, I'd imagine, but they'll definitely add some capacity.


This will at least keep it level with the rest of the pier, with any luck they will take down the walls in between, should open the area up nicely. Definately not luxury accommodations, but certainly a step in the right direction.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:32 pm

master14225 wrote:
Also how many more gates can be added after this at Pier G, I was thinking 5 if building a pier G expansion southwards. I'm not sure if a northward expansion is possible.

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
I went and saw the new gates under construction at "Pier G" a few weeks ago. They're definitely still some time away from completion. The boarding lounge is at ground level, and you can see that there's a back and forth ramp that passengers will have to climb to get to the jetway level at each of the gates. These aren't going to be particularly popular gates with passengers, I'd imagine, but they'll definitely add some capacity.


This will at least keep it level with the rest of the pier, with any luck they will take down the walls in between, should open the area up nicely. Definately not luxury accommodations, but certainly a step in the right direction.


This will likely be the end of Pier G growth for a while. Construction has began for the H pier which will be much more substantial. This pier G expansion wasn't really planned, it was more of an ad-hoc quick expansion.
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
I went and saw the new gates under construction at "Pier G" a few weeks ago. They're definitely still some time away from completion. The boarding lounge is at ground level, and you can see that there's a back and forth ramp that passengers will have to climb to get to the jetway level at each of the gates. These aren't going to be particularly popular gates with passengers, I'd imagine, but they'll definitely add some capacity.


This will at least keep it level with the rest of the pier, with any luck they will take down the walls in between, should open the area up nicely. Definately not luxury accommodations, but certainly a step in the right direction.


All they really need to fix is the access route. The one narrow staircase down to the pier is not going to be adequate with all these new gates. That one elevator is going to be ridiculously overcrowded with all the people carrying rollaboards. They need to add an escalator at the very least.
 
Flightsimboy
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
I went and saw the new gates under construction at "Pier G" a few weeks ago. They're definitely still some time away from completion. The boarding lounge is at ground level, and you can see that there's a back and forth ramp that passengers will have to climb to get to the jetway level at each of the gates. These aren't going to be particularly popular gates with passengers, I'd imagine, but they'll definitely add some capacity.


That is so bizarre. When the boarding lounge gate is on ground level it generally means you are bused to your aircraft as in Istanbul and Abu Dhabi. Why would you have to go up a ramp to get on your plane. Going down is easy on the knees. Even easier for those being pushed in wheelchairs. The only advantage of this is with not having to be bused you are never boarding a plane exposed to -35C lol....like it was on last Sunday.
 
smallmj
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 am

Bus gates have a lot of stigma here in North America. They feel third world, and we NA snobs expect better. People will accept ground boarding for regional jets and props, but we expect a proper jetbridge for 737/A320 and up.

The entire G pier was originally meant to be a temporary structure, but they kept adding to it until they decided to keep it. Hence the jerry-rigged nature of the entire area. I don't know what the plan for pier H is -- whether it will be all ground level like G or a fancier setup. I hope that there will at least be moving sidewalks given the distances involved.
 
Flightsimboy
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:54 am

smallmj wrote:
Bus gates have a lot of stigma here in North America. They feel third world, and we NA snobs expect better. People will accept ground boarding for regional jets and props, but we expect a proper jetbridge for 737/A320 and up.


Istanbul and Abu Dhabi are far from Third World. NA snobs...I like how you feel so proud saying that. Having to pay for everything when you fly in NA is what feels Third World lol. Go figure.

The only thing that makes sense of these gates is not having to be exposed to weather which only makes sense with a regional jet. BTW bus gates are for widebodies too at IST and AUH. Have boarded wide body A330s!!
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm

WestJet first S19 update is out, 26 additional weekly flights to YYZ. The 787 is also to stay on yyz-yyc through the duration of the summer. Not unexpected, but appreciated.

YYZ saw the largest increase in flights in this update which speaks volumes to their much more modest growth plans. There was also a notable lack of additions to DL hubs which leads me to believe there will be additions made by DL which are yet to be announced (and likely delayed due to the government shutdown stateside). YYZ-NYC/ORD/LAX are glaring omissions which were all mentionned as points of focus for the impending JV in the past.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Egyptair will also be increasing YYZ to 4x weekly with the start of their 787 service next October as per today's schedule update.
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:50 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
WestJet first S19 update is out, 26 additional weekly flights to YYZ. The 787 is also to stay on yyz-yyc through the duration of the summer. Not unexpected, but appreciated.

YYZ saw the largest increase in flights in this update which speaks volumes to their much more modest growth plans. There was also a notable lack of additions to DL hubs which leads me to believe there will be additions made by DL which are yet to be announced (and likely delayed due to the government shutdown stateside). YYZ-NYC/ORD/LAX are glaring omissions which were all mentionned as points of focus for the impending JV in the past.


Waiting for the joint venture to be approved first by both country regulators , yes most likely .
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm

With the JV between WS and DL, I could see DL adding more mainline flights to YYZ out of a new route from LGA and a new destination to SEA along with upgrades to mainline year-round on routes to YYZ from DTW and MSP. WS could maybe add RDU, IND, ORD, and AUS from YYZ competing with AC. RDU & IND being on a q400 while AUS and ORD are mainline.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 pm

master14225 wrote:
With the JV between WS and DL, I could see DL adding more mainline flights to YYZ out of a new route from LGA and a new destination to SEA along with upgrades to mainline year-round on routes to YYZ from DTW and MSP. WS could maybe add RDU, IND, ORD, and AUS from YYZ competing with AC. RDU & IND being on a q400 while AUS and ORD are mainline.


I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
master14225 wrote:
With the JV between WS and DL, I could see DL adding more mainline flights to YYZ out of a new route from LGA and a new destination to SEA along with upgrades to mainline year-round on routes to YYZ from DTW and MSP. WS could maybe add RDU, IND, ORD, and AUS from YYZ competing with AC. RDU & IND being on a q400 while AUS and ORD are mainline.


I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


I agree, I would think JFK would be more of a goal for DL from YYZ following the approval, that would allow them to connect more pax onto long haul services, pax that WS does not have the ability to service.
 
User avatar
bballah
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 pm

The Transportation Safety Board releases its special investigation into runway incursions at YYZ tomorrow at 10. It was started after a spike in incursions, particularly on the south end of the airport.

There is some background information here:

https://westernaviationnews.com/2019/01/22/torontos-runway-risks/
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
master14225 wrote:
With the JV between WS and DL, I could see DL adding more mainline flights to YYZ out of a new route from LGA and a new destination to SEA along with upgrades to mainline year-round on routes to YYZ from DTW and MSP. WS could maybe add RDU, IND, ORD, and AUS from YYZ competing with AC. RDU & IND being on a q400 while AUS and ORD are mainline.


I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


I agree, I would think JFK would be more of a goal for DL from YYZ following the approval, that would allow them to connect more pax onto long haul services, pax that WS does not have the ability to service.


Agreed, although JFK will be a tough route to make work. YTO-NYC is already highly competitive, and JFK will get very little O&D. They'll have to fill those flights almost entirely with connecting pax, and those tickets aren't going to be particularly high-yielding either since AC flies non-stop from YYZ to nearly everywhere DL flies from JFK. Might work for a couple flights a day timed for overseas flight banks.
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:16 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
master14225 wrote:
With the JV between WS and DL, I could see DL adding more mainline flights to YYZ out of a new route from LGA and a new destination to SEA along with upgrades to mainline year-round on routes to YYZ from DTW and MSP. WS could maybe add RDU, IND, ORD, and AUS from YYZ competing with AC. RDU & IND being on a q400 while AUS and ORD are mainline.


I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


I agree, I would think JFK would be more of a goal for DL from YYZ following the approval, that would allow them to connect more pax onto long haul services, pax that WS does not have the ability to service.


Agreed, although JFK will be a tough route to make work. YTO-NYC is already highly competitive, and JFK will get very little O&D. They'll have to fill those flights almost entirely with connecting pax, and those tickets aren't going to be particularly high-yielding either since AC flies non-stop from YYZ to nearly everywhere DL flies from JFK. Might work for a couple flights a day timed for overseas flight banks.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


I agree, I would think JFK would be more of a goal for DL from YYZ following the approval, that would allow them to connect more pax onto long haul services, pax that WS does not have the ability to service.


Agreed, although JFK will be a tough route to make work. YTO-NYC is already highly competitive, and JFK will get very little O&D. They'll have to fill those flights almost entirely with connecting pax, and those tickets aren't going to be particularly high-yielding either since AC flies non-stop from YYZ to nearly everywhere DL flies from JFK. Might work for a couple flights a day timed for overseas flight banks.


Remember, DL already flies YYZ-JFK, it would only represent an incremental increase in seats to fill in connections.
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:54 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

I agree, I would think JFK would be more of a goal for DL from YYZ following the approval, that would allow them to connect more pax onto long haul services, pax that WS does not have the ability to service.


Agreed, although JFK will be a tough route to make work. YTO-NYC is already highly competitive, and JFK will get very little O&D. They'll have to fill those flights almost entirely with connecting pax, and those tickets aren't going to be particularly high-yielding either since AC flies non-stop from YYZ to nearly everywhere DL flies from JFK. Might work for a couple flights a day timed for overseas flight banks.


Remember, DL already flies YYZ-JFK, it would only represent an incremental increase in seats to fill in connections.


You're right, my mistake!
 
User avatar
yyz717
Posts: 15750
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:26 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


If the LFs on the 8x daily WS YYZ-LGA flights are low (possible given the high number of 736 schedules and WS' apparent desire not to schedule the Q400), I could see WS transferring several of these 8x daily flights to DL who have more appropriate equipment (e.g. CR7/CR9/A220). If this is do-able.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:40 pm

yyz717 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


If the LFs on the 8x daily WS YYZ-LGA flights are low (possible given the high number of 736 schedules and WS' apparent desire not to schedule the Q400), I could see WS transferring several of these 8x daily flights to DL who have more appropriate equipment (e.g. CR7/CR9/A220). If this is do-able.


That's a big assumption, especially given that YYZ-LGA is one of the biggest international routes on the planet. I'd say it's likely that they use the 600 because it's the right size to run frequency.

The Q400 wouldn't work on the route, Americans have an aversion to turboprops, WS using a Q400 would essentially render them uncompetitive.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 am

whywhyzee wrote:
yyz717 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


If the LFs on the 8x daily WS YYZ-LGA flights are low (possible given the high number of 736 schedules and WS' apparent desire not to schedule the Q400), I could see WS transferring several of these 8x daily flights to DL who have more appropriate equipment (e.g. CR7/CR9/A220). If this is do-able.


That's a big assumption, especially given that YYZ-LGA is one of the biggest international routes on the planet. I'd say it's likely that they use the 600 because it's the right size to run frequency.

The Q400 wouldn't work on the route, Americans have an aversion to turboprops, WS using a Q400 would essentially render them uncompetitive.


Tell that to Porter. It’s surprising that WS don’t run Q400s on the route at least on weekends. Their loads to LGA have never exactly been stellar, but could be much higher with say two midday flights being Q400s.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 am

Dominion301 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
yyz717 wrote:

If the LFs on the 8x daily WS YYZ-LGA flights are low (possible given the high number of 736 schedules and WS' apparent desire not to schedule the Q400), I could see WS transferring several of these 8x daily flights to DL who have more appropriate equipment (e.g. CR7/CR9/A220). If this is do-able.


That's a big assumption, especially given that YYZ-LGA is one of the biggest international routes on the planet. I'd say it's likely that they use the 600 because it's the right size to run frequency.

The Q400 wouldn't work on the route, Americans have an aversion to turboprops, WS using a Q400 would essentially render them uncompetitive.


Tell that to Porter. It’s surprising that WS don’t run Q400s on the route at least on weekends. Their loads to LGA have never exactly been stellar, but could be much higher with say two midday flights being Q400s.


It only works for porter because of CYTZ. Even then, they aren't a threat. In my opinion, putting a Q in the route would be absolute suicide.
 
hz747300
Posts: 2301
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 am

whywhyzee wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

That's a big assumption, especially given that YYZ-LGA is one of the biggest international routes on the planet. I'd say it's likely that they use the 600 because it's the right size to run frequency.

The Q400 wouldn't work on the route, Americans have an aversion to turboprops, WS using a Q400 would essentially render them uncompetitive.


Tell that to Porter. It’s surprising that WS don’t run Q400s on the route at least on weekends. Their loads to LGA have never exactly been stellar, but could be much higher with say two midday flights being Q400s.


It only works for porter because of CYTZ. Even then, they aren't a threat. In my opinion, putting a Q in the route would be absolute suicide.


Hmmm.... Seems Horizon does pretty well with the turboprops on the west coast. Maybe the east coast of US is full of ninnies.

I'm not sure a Q at LGA makes sense with jet options, people will probably choose the jet. However, I think if they wanted to expand to 2nd tier NYC cities and airports like Newburgh and Islip or reopening Rochester, the 'Cuse, etc..., the Q would be perfect.
Keep on truckin'...
 
User avatar
bballah
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:54 pm

The TSB made four recommendations at Toronto (two are essentially the same, aimed at Transport Canada and the FAA):
- Controllers standardize phrasing so urgent messages get through to pilots
- Change pilot procedures so landing checklists are not performed until the aircraft has left the active runways at Toronto
- Changes to taxiway layout at Pearson

https://westernaviationnews.com/2019/01/31/transportation-safety-board-recommends-procedure-layout-changes-at-canadas-busiest-airport/

bballah wrote:
The Transportation Safety Board releases its special investigation into runway incursions at YYZ tomorrow at 10. It was started after a spike in incursions, particularly on the south end of the airport.

There is some background information here:

https://westernaviationnews.com/2019/01/22/torontos-runway-risks/
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Air Italy Update:

YYZ service will be expanded from 4x to 6x weekly this summer.

Advanced bookings must be strong if the route is already increasing in size before it even inaugurates.
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:36 pm

There was a pretty lousy article in the Globe this morning about the YYZ runway incursion issues. It claimed that Pearson used an obsolete "parallel" runway arrangement that other airports are moving away from for safety reasons. Since that's obviously not true, were they misinterpreting and saying the arrangement that's a problem is the lack of taxiway in between?
 
flyyul
Posts: 4430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2000 11:25 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Air Italy Update:

YYZ service will be expanded from 4x to 6x weekly this summer.

Advanced bookings must be strong if the route is already increasing in size before it even inaugurates.


Are you kidding me? Air Italy was refused a gate in ORD and had to pull BOM/DEL. They're desperate to place airplanes.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:54 pm

https://ibb.co/v3PXzdL

An overview of YYZ international service weekly one way seats this winter, omitting Sun destinations.

Side note, does anyone actually know how to post photos on here?
 
AirNovaBAe146
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:44 am

whywhyzee wrote:
yyz717 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
I doubt DL would add YYZ-LGA given WS has 8 737s a day on the route. If anything DL would add an LGA frequency to YUL and YOW and maybe open up a daily flight to YQB once their preclearance facility opens. Any of that would involve DL cutting something else at LGA.


If the LFs on the 8x daily WS YYZ-LGA flights are low (possible given the high number of 736 schedules and WS' apparent desire not to schedule the Q400), I could see WS transferring several of these 8x daily flights to DL who have more appropriate equipment (e.g. CR7/CR9/A220). If this is do-able.


That's a big assumption, especially given that YYZ-LGA is one of the biggest international routes on the planet. I'd say it's likely that they use the 600 because it's the right size to run frequency.

The Q400 wouldn't work on the route, Americans have an aversion to turboprops, WS using a Q400 would essentially render them uncompetitive.


You'll see WS put the -600, -700, and -800 on LGA. They've got a good feel for when to run each type; the -600 might do LGA on a midweek departure, or perhaps a weekend rotation, whereas the -800s would do it on the busier times like Monday morning or Friday afternoon / evening.
The connections they are able to offer through LGA to the DL network are incredible. Within the last couple of years, the two carriers have grown closer, and WS is learning to maximize the options for their customers from YYZ. That will only continue as the JV is finalized, and we'll see more shared cities seeing significant passenger connections (BOS, DTW, ATL, SLC, LAX).
 
YYZLGA
Topic Author
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:00 am

whywhyzee wrote:
https://ibb.co/v3PXzdL

An overview of YYZ international service weekly one way seats this winter, omitting Sun destinations.


Fascinating. It's stunning how big a route LON is. I sometimes wonder if AC regrets not joining OneWorld. Can you imagine how much capacity there would be to LHR if it were also their alliance's main European hub?
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:32 am

YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
https://ibb.co/v3PXzdL

An overview of YYZ international service weekly one way seats this winter, omitting Sun destinations.


Fascinating. It's stunning how big a route LON is. I sometimes wonder if AC regrets not joining OneWorld. Can you imagine how much capacity there would be to LHR if it were also their alliance's main European hub?


No question, you would probably see a couple more dailies, but look at FRA, YYZ is the 5th biggest intercontinental route, and growing, I suspect it may jump up that list in short order, some of which can be attributed to it's Star Alliance membership. It's wins and losses depending on which alliance a carrier is in.

Onewold is in my opinion the weakest alliance at YYZ, I think we're getting to a point where the demand profile is growing enough that routes can be sustained more and more on O/D. BA for example seems to finally be getting back on their feet after a few years of lost market share at YYZ, now is the time for other oneworld carriers to step up. The next few years will hopefully bring some return/growth.
 
Bobloblaw
Posts: 2136
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 am

master14225 wrote:
With the JV between WS and DL, I could see DL adding more mainline flights to YYZ out of a new route from LGA and a new destination to SEA along with upgrades to mainline year-round on routes to YYZ from DTW and MSP. WS could maybe add RDU, IND, ORD, and AUS from YYZ competing with AC. RDU & IND being on a q400 while AUS and ORD are mainline.

You’re over estimating the amount of traffic this relationship will produce.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:22 am

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
https://ibb.co/v3PXzdL

An overview of YYZ international service weekly one way seats this winter, omitting Sun destinations.


Fascinating. It's stunning how big a route LON is. I sometimes wonder if AC regrets not joining OneWorld. Can you imagine how much capacity there would be to LHR if it were also their alliance's main European hub?


No question, you would probably see a couple more dailies, but look at FRA, YYZ is the 5th biggest intercontinental route, and growing, I suspect it may jump up that list in short order, some of which can be attributed to it's Star Alliance membership. It's wins and losses depending on which alliance a carrier is in.

Onewold is in my opinion the weakest alliance at YYZ, I think we're getting to a point where the demand profile is growing enough that routes can be sustained more and more on O/D. BA for example seems to finally be getting back on their feet after a few years of lost market share at YYZ, now is the time for other oneworld carriers to step up. The next few years will hopefully bring some return/growth.


Oneworld is the weakest alliance in all of Canada. Obviously *A dominates, but the OW alliance has zero presence at some of the country’s major airports including YEG and YWG and are the weakest at most of the others. Skyteam is at all the major airports in Canada (i.e. those > 3 million pax per year) and is ahead of OW at most of them.

It must have been a real blow to AA to lose WS as a partner, especially given how strong AA were in Canada from the signing of the Canada-US Open Skies agreement until the CP takeover by AC.
 
YYZatcboy
Posts: 1122
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Toronto Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:13 am

Dominion301 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:
It must have been a real blow to AA to lose WS as a partner, especially given how strong AA were in Canada from the signing of the Canada-US Open Skies agreement until the CP takeover by AC.


Don't forget that it was AA that terminated the codeshare agreement. They could have kept going until closer to the JV approval if they wanted to.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos