f.pier

ETOPS: The Explained Text

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:34 am

I've tried with the search button but I didn't find any good explaination. Can you tell me, in easy words what the ETOPS certification allows and what it doesn't allow?

Thank you

LY744

RE: ETOPS: The Explained Text

Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:20 am

Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

delta-flyer

Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:25 am

ETOPS - Extended Twin-engine Operations - allows a twin to be a certain distance from the nearest suitable airport. The distance is given in minutes of flying time on a single engine.

To get ETOPS rating, the engine type must have a certain demonstrated in-service reliability, which is measured in "mean time between failures", and the aircraft must have additional redundancies to assure all systems will function when an engine is out. This information is provided by engineering groups that specialize in reliability and system safety, and they are a prominent part of the engineering function at airframers.

Based on the engine reliability and level of redundancies, the aircraft is given an "xxx" minute ETOPS certification (typically 120 or 180 minutes), which means it must be within 120 or 180 minutes from the nearest airport during every part of its flight. This factor is used for planning long routes where intermediate airports are scarce, particularly (but not necessarily) over water.

Three and four (or more) engined aircraft do not require ETOPS certification, as their reliability is inherently adequate for dealing with engine-out situations. That's why over some South Atlantic and Pacific routes an ETOPS aircraft may require a longer route to comply with its rating than a 3 or 4-engine aircraft that can fly direct.

I hope this fills the void.

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

PW100

Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:01 am

Engines Turning Or Pax Swimming...
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos