User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:13 am

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airli ... -contract/

In a rare glimpse of corporate traffic revenues, UA’s biggest global corporate account is Apple putting in 150M USD revenue for the carrier a year. United’s number one market for Apple is San Francisco to Shanghai, accounting for $35 million of annual revenue, with 50 business class seats on United daily on SFO-PVG

UA’s 10 biggest markets for Apple:

1 PVG
2 HKG
3 TPE
4 LHR
5 ICN
6 SIN
7 MUC
8 HND
9 PEK
10 TLV


A very interesting list showing the significance of Asia for UA’s Apple routes
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 8859
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 am

I wonder who got fired for leaking that. Lol
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6251
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 am

If SFO-PVG is the Apple Express, does that mean SFO-DEN is the Pineapple Express?
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
x1234
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:03 am

If you zoom into the image, at the very bottom it says "This is confidential information. Please do not share outside of United." I'm surprised UA doesn't have a non-disclosure agreement with its clients like Apple. WOW!
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 am

x1234 wrote:
If you zoom into the image, at the very bottom it says "This is confidential information. Please do not share outside of United." I'm surprised UA doesn't have a non-disclosure agreement with its clients like Apple. WOW!


I’m more interested in knowing how that twitter user got a hold of propriety company info.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:06 am

This has to be mainly from SFO/Cali only. There are major finance companies in NYC with UA and oil companies in Houston that spend many millions on their UA contracts also.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
User avatar
janders
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 am

This was already posted in the United network thread.

>>>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411803
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
N649DL
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:33 am

enilria wrote:
I wonder who got fired for leaking that. Lol


LOL! Seriously, someone at UAL in Marketing was clearly on their way out the door. That data is usually not for public consumption.

Being in Agency Tech myself, all these offshore markets make sense. I'm curious how L.A. and "Silicon Beach" numbers compare to this and also on AA and DL.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3410
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 am

enilria wrote:
I wonder who got fired for leaking that. Lol

Keep an eye out on www.united.jobs
 
B747forever
Posts: 13561
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:39 am

Very interesting!

Roche is in the +$34 million group. Probably the main reason for starting SFO-ZRH even though JV partner LX flies the route.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4407
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

I get the sense that someone at United will be fired and immediately rehired, just so they can fire them again. Knowing how closely Apple guards it's privacy, I suspect the potential impact of this on United's revenues could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars range.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23129
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 am

Not really much a secret.

Companies like BTN publish the info - For example in 2017 Apple spent $275mil on air travel, the 5th largest travel buyer in the U.S.
https://www.businesstravelnews.com/Corp ... 2018/Apple

For paid and print subscribers BTN provides more detail on airline, hotel and car rental brand spending by each buyer as well.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 4357
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:41 am

Highest revenue doesn't mean highest profit. OP can check definition of lucrative.
 
mict
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:49 am

It would be cool/fun if someone could figure out how much it would cost Apple approximately to run a private jet daily between the 2 cities and see how it compares to what they give United. (Not saying that's what they should do, just curious to compare private vs commercial cost at that scale)
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 am

Pyrex wrote:
I get the sense that someone at United will be fired and immediately rehired, just so they can fire them again. Knowing how closely Apple guards it's privacy, I suspect the potential impact of this on United's revenues could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars range.


How the hell is this some sort of trade secret? Literally anyone with a pulse could've predicted this.

This isn't the new iPhone, Apple flying the biggest carrier in the Bay Area surprises absolutely no one. And the fact that SFO-PVG is the chart topper is even less surprising. I mean who could've thought that Apple, a San Francisco based company would need to fly to Shanghai, manufacturing central for the world's biggest company. Absolutely shocking I tell you. If anything, the surprising thing is they aren't making more money.

Why would UA lose any money? Does Apple even give a shit if people know they fly UA? I mean they are the strongest carrier out of SFO by a long shot and Apple has more money to burn than any other company on the planet.
 
Judge1310
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 am

janders wrote:
This was already posted in the United network thread.

>>>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411803


I think it's better that this topic is separate from the UA Fleet/Network thread since some folks think it's wise to lump two huge topics into one thread.

This is not good for whomever leaked this graphic...and there are cameras everywhere where these posters are located....

***sips tea*** :coffee:
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:53 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
I get the sense that someone at United will be fired and immediately rehired, just so they can fire them again. Knowing how closely Apple guards it's privacy, I suspect the potential impact of this on United's revenues could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars range.


How the hell is this some sort of trade secret? Literally anyone with a pulse could've predicted this.

This isn't the new iPhone, Apple flying the biggest carrier in the Bay Area surprises absolutely no one. And the fact that SFO-PVG is the chart topper is even less surprising. I mean who could've thought that Apple, a San Francisco based company would need to fly to Shanghai, manufacturing central for the world's biggest company. Absolutely shocking I tell you. If anything, the surprising thing is they aren't making more money.

Why would UA lose any money? Does Apple even give a shit if people know they fly UA? I mean they are the strongest carrier out of SFO by a long shot and Apple has more money to burn than any other company on the planet.


The problem is now their competitors know what UA is offering Apple (their biggest client), and can better market corporate contracts to appeal to UA's clients, UA will likely lose revenue and POTENTIALLY contracts in the process.

B747forever wrote:
Very interesting!

Roche is in the +$34 million group. Probably the main reason for starting SFO-ZRH even though JV partner LX flies the route.


IND-SFO is a pretty big route for Roche.
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 am

enilria wrote:
I wonder who got fired for leaking that. Lol


Apparently it was on display at United's terminal in SFO, so it was available for public viewing.
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 3031
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:18 am

Midwestindy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
I get the sense that someone at United will be fired and immediately rehired, just so they can fire them again. Knowing how closely Apple guards it's privacy, I suspect the potential impact of this on United's revenues could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars range.


How the hell is this some sort of trade secret? Literally anyone with a pulse could've predicted this.

This isn't the new iPhone, Apple flying the biggest carrier in the Bay Area surprises absolutely no one. And the fact that SFO-PVG is the chart topper is even less surprising. I mean who could've thought that Apple, a San Francisco based company would need to fly to Shanghai, manufacturing central for the world's biggest company. Absolutely shocking I tell you. If anything, the surprising thing is they aren't making more money.

Why would UA lose any money? Does Apple even give a shit if people know they fly UA? I mean they are the strongest carrier out of SFO by a long shot and Apple has more money to burn than any other company on the planet.


The problem is now their competitors know what UA is offering Apple (their biggest client), and can better market corporate contracts to appeal to UA's clients, UA will likely lose revenue and POTENTIALLY contracts in the process.

B747forever wrote:
Very interesting!

Roche is in the +$34 million group. Probably the main reason for starting SFO-ZRH even though JV partner LX flies the route.


IND-SFO is a pretty big route for Roche.

I’m willing to bet UA’s competitors already had a pretty good idea of what they were spending....but the other members of the US3 also don’t have a hub at SFO where they can service Apple nonstop like UA can.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
Blerg
Posts: 1215
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 am

Given Apple's horrible performance in China, I wonder how long before the list changes. I doubt Apple will be generous when it comes to business trips if sales keep on falling.
 
SQ317
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Slightly OT, but I wonder if SFO-PVG will see a traffic bump now Tesla, based in the bay area, are building another factory near PVG?
 
United1
Posts: 3670
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
I get the sense that someone at United will be fired and immediately rehired, just so they can fire them again. Knowing how closely Apple guards it's privacy, I suspect the potential impact of this on United's revenues could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars range.


How the hell is this some sort of trade secret? Literally anyone with a pulse could've predicted this.

This isn't the new iPhone, Apple flying the biggest carrier in the Bay Area surprises absolutely no one. And the fact that SFO-PVG is the chart topper is even less surprising. I mean who could've thought that Apple, a San Francisco based company would need to fly to Shanghai, manufacturing central for the world's biggest company. Absolutely shocking I tell you. If anything, the surprising thing is they aren't making more money.

Why would UA lose any money? Does Apple even give a shit if people know they fly UA? I mean they are the strongest carrier out of SFO by a long shot and Apple has more money to burn than any other company on the planet.


The problem is now their competitors know what UA is offering Apple (their biggest client), and can better market corporate contracts to appeal to UA's clients, UA will likely lose revenue and POTENTIALLY contracts in the process.

B747forever wrote:
Very interesting!

Roche is in the +$34 million group. Probably the main reason for starting SFO-ZRH even though JV partner LX flies the route.


IND-SFO is a pretty big route for Roche.


DL and AA have a fairly good idea of who has corporate contracts with UA and how much they are spending. Likewise UA knows who DL and AA have contracts with and roughly what those contracts entail. We (meaning A.net) are not used to seeing top level details on those contracts so it's a bit surprising to us but it doesn't really give any one a competitive advantage over UA. Most of those contracts are won based on network and perks...cost, while negotiated, doesn't vary that much airline to airline. It's a lot like WN charging $79 SFO-LAX...chances are UA, AA, DL and AS are doing the same.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
ual763
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
janders wrote:
This was already posted in the United network thread.

>>>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411803


I think it's better that this topic is separate from the UA Fleet/Network thread since some folks think it's wise to lump two huge topics into one thread.

This is not good for whomever leaked this graphic...and there are cameras everywhere where these posters are located....

***sips tea*** :coffee:


This particular one is located in the crew room (specifically the pilot flight planning room) at SFO. Security cameras definitely caught whoever took it. More than likely already shit-canned.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
Fargo
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Why in the heck would they be posting this on a banner in an employee break room anyway!???

Shouldn’t only executives know this kind of information? I’m sorry, whoever authorized the printing of this banner is an idiot, they should know better.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm deeply impressed with the 50 J seats per day number (be it 25 each way or 50) on a single route, for a single customer.
I realize that Apple is only near, and not at the top, of travel buyers - but is there any other organization buying that much long haul on a single city pair anywhere in the world?

Even the vaunted NYC-LON route - sure, the corporate travel is nuts, but is there any one company buying 50 premium seats a day?

I am curious.
 
AMERICAN757
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:07 pm

It would be neat to learn United, AA, and Deltas largest clients at each of their hubs.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:08 pm

ual763 wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
janders wrote:
This was already posted in the United network thread.

>>>> https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... &t=1411803


I think it's better that this topic is separate from the UA Fleet/Network thread since some folks think it's wise to lump two huge topics into one thread.

This is not good for whomever leaked this graphic...and there are cameras everywhere where these posters are located....

***sips tea*** :coffee:


This particular one is located in the crew room (specifically the pilot flight planning room) at SFO. Security cameras definitely caught whoever took it. More than likely already shit-canned.


Doubt the person who took the photo will get fired. Would be a winnable case to get your job back anyway. It could be argued that even though it says confidential information, no where did someone have to sign a NDA to view the info. It was obviously meant to be seen freely by employees with access to the crew room, which can be a wide number of people and even those who don’t work directly for United (janitors, vending machine personnel, city maintenance staff, IT vendors etc.). United would have a hard time saying they made a reasonable effort to keep the information confidential.

If they wanted to keep this private but still provide the info to employees, they should have had small group sessions where you sign an NDA. I’ve been a part of those and it’s interesting the level of information they will give to you after you sign the paper.

If anyone will get fired it will be the person who approved the banner and its location.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
as739x
Posts: 5138
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:23 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

SQ317 wrote:
Slightly OT, but I wonder if SFO-PVG will see a traffic bump now Tesla, based in the bay area, are building another factory near PVG?


Very doubtful. They would have to secure new slots or sacrifice another one. It already took months to get the second daily SFO-PVG flight up and running, I believe the launch was even delayed a few months to acquire a better time.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"
 
dcajet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 pm

as739x wrote:
SQ317 wrote:
Slightly OT, but I wonder if SFO-PVG will see a traffic bump now Tesla, based in the bay area, are building another factory near PVG?


Very doubtful. They would have to secure new slots or sacrifice another one. It already took months to get the second daily SFO-PVG flight up and running, I believe the launch was even delayed a few months to acquire a better time.


Sacrifice slots where? PVG? AFAIK, SFO is not slot-controlled... yet.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
as739x
Posts: 5138
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:23 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:23 pm

dcajet wrote:
as739x wrote:
SQ317 wrote:
Slightly OT, but I wonder if SFO-PVG will see a traffic bump now Tesla, based in the bay area, are building another factory near PVG?


Very doubtful. They would have to secure new slots or sacrifice another one. It already took months to get the second daily SFO-PVG flight up and running, I believe the launch was even delayed a few months to acquire a better time.


Sacrifice slots where? PVG? AFAIK, SFO is not slot-controlled... yet.


Sorry for being unclear, yes of course PVG, SFO isn't....yet! :biggrin:
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Blerg wrote:
Given Apple's horrible performance in China, I wonder how long before the list changes. I doubt Apple will be generous when it comes to business trips if sales keep on falling.


Given they manufacture $100B+ worth of iPhones in China plus all their other devices that seems doubtful.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:29 pm

San Francisco (SFO) to London Heathrow (LHR) are only 2x daily. If United managed to obtain more slots at LHR, I would think this service could increase as its a large market with no operator operating more than 2x daily:
United 2 daily
Virgin Atlantic 2 daily
British Airways 2 daily
 
Blerg
Posts: 1215
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Given Apple's horrible performance in China, I wonder how long before the list changes. I doubt Apple will be generous when it comes to business trips if sales keep on falling.


Given they manufacture $100B+ worth of iPhones in China plus all their other devices that seems doubtful.


Well, there are rumours of the production line being moved to India.
 
blueflyer
Posts: 3945
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:49 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
This has to be mainly from SFO/Cali only. There are major finance companies in NYC with UA and oil companies in Houston that spend many millions on their UA contracts also.

It is telling the bottom of the banner states "California's global airline."

All the companies on the list either have their (US) headquarters in California, or massive operations in the state. If it was intended to be exhaustive, the list would be missing *many* corporate customers in the range 10 to 150 millions.

FlyHappy wrote:
Even the vaunted NYC-LON route - sure, the corporate travel is nuts, but is there any one company buying 50 premium seats a day?

They're not buying 50 seats a day, they're buying the right to book up to 50 seats per day at a set price/discount up to x hours before take off.
MAGag
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 pm

After those figures, surely someone in UA route development should already have suggested UA itself adds PVG-SJC.

if UA can't get any LHR slots and If there might be some important tech traffic demand near STN around Cambridge then SFO-STN may appeal to some.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
United1
Posts: 3670
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
United1 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

The problem is now their competitors know what UA is offering Apple (their biggest client), and can better market corporate contracts to appeal to UA's clients, UA will likely lose revenue and POTENTIALLY contracts in the process.



IND-SFO is a pretty big route for Roche.


DL and AA have a fairly good idea of who has corporate contracts with UA and how much they are spending. Likewise UA knows who DL and AA have contracts with and roughly what those contracts entail. We (meaning A.net) are not used to seeing top level details on those contracts so it's a bit surprising to us but it doesn't really give any one a competitive advantage over UA. Most of those contracts are won based on network and perks...cost, while negotiated, doesn't vary that much airline to airline. It's a lot like WN charging $79 SFO-LAX...chances are UA, AA, DL and AS are doing the same.


DL and AA know who UA has a contract with and to an extent might know how much those contracts are worth, but they more than likely didn't know what the Apple contract entailed.

Depending on the size of the contract, airlines will try to adjust prices, which is why the Apple prices appear so low.

You are making it sound like all airlines know the intricate details other airlines are offering for corporate clients, and that is not the case.

ual763 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Apparently it was on display at United's terminal in SFO, so it was available for public viewing.


Jesus Christ, no it was not. It was in a crew room.


Relax, I'm just repeating what this article said, no need to fall over and die

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01 ... estination


It wasn't on public view and no I'm not making it sound like all airlines know the intricate details of all the contracts...in fact I used the words "roughly" and "fairly good idea." Those two words/phrases, when used in the English language, imply a lack of specific detail.

We still don't know all of the details of Apple's UA contract...and we never will...as those details are really how the airlines compete with each other.

AA and DL have known for years that Apple flies with UA on SFO-PVG and gets roughly 50 J class seats a day from them...how do they know that? Apple would have put out RFPs for corporate travel that specified a specific number of seats in specific markets. Whether you win that business or not you learn what that companies requirements are...business analytics and sales are based on logic. UA would have won the Apple contract based on its network out of SFO (which no one can match,) perks offered (Global Services, club access, Clear/PreCheck memberships ect.)
Last edited by United1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Blerg wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Given Apple's horrible performance in China, I wonder how long before the list changes. I doubt Apple will be generous when it comes to business trips if sales keep on falling.


Given they manufacture $100B+ worth of iPhones in China plus all their other devices that seems doubtful.


Well, there are rumours of the production line being moved to India.


No, there aren’t. They are building iPhones in India for the Indian market only.
 
bevan7
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
It would be neat to learn United, AA, and Deltas largest clients at each of their hubs.


I'm guessing Delta - Atlanta - Coke - lots of millions
 
United1
Posts: 3670
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 pm

bevan7 wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
It would be neat to learn United, AA, and Deltas largest clients at each of their hubs.


I'm guessing Delta - Atlanta - Coke - lots of millions


I'm sure DL has the Coke but I'm not sure if it's their largest account out of ATL....that might actually be CNN.

It's easy enough to sort out if you want to.

Take a look at the link LAXInt posted earlier. It's a fairly good list of major companies travel budget as well as, in a lot of cases, which airlines they use. Reverse engineer which company has major operations near that airlines hub.

Network is almost always more important than price.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
Blerg
Posts: 1215
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:36 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Given they manufacture $100B+ worth of iPhones in China plus all their other devices that seems doubtful.


Well, there are rumours of the production line being moved to India.


No, there aren’t. They are building iPhones in India for the Indian market only.


There you go: http://fortune.com/2018/12/27/apple-iph ... ion-india/

This makes sense as they are being crushed in China.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:38 pm

bevan7 wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
It would be neat to learn United, AA, and Deltas largest clients at each of their hubs.


I'm guessing Delta - Atlanta - Coke - lots of millions


*These are guesses

DL/B6 BOS--GE/Raytheon
DL DTW--GM/all the other big oil companies
DL MSP--Medtronic/3M
DL/AS SEA--Microsoft/Boeing/Amazon
DL NYC--IBM
AA DCA--Lockheed Martin
AA DFW--Toyota/Exxon Mobil
AA CLT--Bank of America/Wells Fargo
AA PHL--Comcast
UA EWR--Johnson & Johnson
UA/AA ORD--Allstate/AbbVie/Abbott
UA IAD--The World Bank
UA IAH--Shell/all the other big oil companies
AS PDX--Nike
DL SLC--Morman Church

The NYC ones are hard to guess
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
LDRA
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

What kind of apple are they air freighting? Gala? Granny smith?
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Blerg wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Well, there are rumours of the production line being moved to India.


No, there aren’t. They are building iPhones in India for the Indian market only.


There you go: http://fortune.com/2018/12/27/apple-iph ... ion-india/

This makes sense as they are being crushed in China.


You are confusing manufacturing with local business. Apple has long build phones in India for India. It’s interesting they’re moving more to India, but I don’t see them moving iPhone manufacturing wholesale to India given the massive economies of scale China has. Foxconn likely has 300-500k Chinese employees building in China vs the 25k mentioned in this article. Not to mentioned the 100s of thousands building Macs and iPads and other devices.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

blueflyer wrote:

FlyHappy wrote:
Even the vaunted NYC-LON route - sure, the corporate travel is nuts, but is there any one company buying 50 premium seats a day?

They're not buying 50 seats a day, they're buying the right to book up to 50 seats per day at a set price/discount up to x hours before take off.


Well, we really don't know what the contract/usage/buy really is, right?
could be right to buy, as you suggest - could be a seat guarantee, could be an actual average.... but presumably what is accurate is the $35 million in revenue quoted on this route, and the $1917 of revenue those seats bring to UA (and Apple spends) - filled or not.

My question- is there any company that needs this much capacity on NYC-LON ?
 
Blerg
Posts: 1215
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:02 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

No, there aren’t. They are building iPhones in India for the Indian market only.


There you go: http://fortune.com/2018/12/27/apple-iph ... ion-india/

This makes sense as they are being crushed in China.


You are confusing manufacturing with local business. Apple has long build phones in India for India. It’s interesting they’re moving more to India, but I don’t see them moving iPhone manufacturing wholesale to India given the massive economies of scale China has. Foxconn likely has 300-500k Chinese employees building in China vs the 25k mentioned in this article. Not to mentioned the 100s of thousands building Macs and iPads and other devices.


Of course I understand and agree with what you are saying. All I said was that I wonder if Apple's overall bad performance in China might affect business travel between the two countries.
 
Fargo
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
bevan7 wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
It would be neat to learn United, AA, and Deltas largest clients at each of their hubs.


I'm guessing Delta - Atlanta - Coke - lots of millions


*These are guesses

DL/B6 BOS--GE/Raytheon
DL DTW--GM/all the other big oil companies
DL MSP--Medtronic/3M
DL/AS SEA--Microsoft/Boeing/Amazon
DL NYC--IBM
AA DCA--Lockheed Martin
AA DFW--Toyota/Exxon Mobil
AA CLT--Bank of America/Wells Fargo
AA PHL--Comcast
UA EWR--Johnson & Johnson
UA/AA ORD--Allstate/AbbVie/Abbott
UA IAD--The World Bank
UA IAH--Shell/all the other big oil companies
AS PDX--Nike
DL SLC--Morman Church

The NYC ones are hard to guess


UA/AA ORD — McDonalds

Source: Family has worked there and traveled extensively
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

My own big career break was becoming "Head of" for corporate sales, so I do know a bit about this type of thing, all be that it is almost ten years since I quit. I used to make sure that our major client names were briefed out to frontline staff as relevant, but kept the financial detail vague. Something like, "these top 5 companies spend over x with us every year", or "company abc chose to buy 20% more tickets from us last year, keep on making their fliers happy" etc etc. I would have put that type of message in a controlled company document, not some place where a visitor could easily see. You need to be careful what commercial information is stuck up on walls etc.

They shouldn't publish passenger volume and total spend for a single route together anywhere other than tightly controlled executive reports. From those figures I can work out roughly what Apple pay on average to Shanghai which is a problem on at least three levels.

Firstly, that's a figure which is probably subject to a minefield of confidentiality clauses. Secondly, as a competitor that's very useful (still not the complete picture, but helpful). Third, other corporate clients will benchmark and get unhappy that they don't have the same (no matter how irrational that is).

As someone who was on the inside but then changed careers to become one of the travellers flying all around, it's been fascinating. Doing some quick mental maths, it's quite feasible that UA wouldn't even fly to Shanghai without the Apple contract. That influences all kinds of things, in particular I got heavily involved with onboard experience design. I'm sure Apple don't want to pay a premium for their employees to enjoy fine dining and frankly most staff work so hard that they just want to get on the plane, have a non stop flight, go to sleep and be left alone. That's why airlines like BA, LH or UA are wildly profitable despite offering a more basic product than say Qatar. In reality many of the service things people in this forum obsess over, most commercially important people just don't care about.
Last edited by Ryanair01 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
FURUREFA
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:26 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

My company (NYC HQ-ed major financial institution) factually has been AA's single largest account consistently over the last 20 years. That said, DL (and B6 to a lesser extent) has made a HUGE push for our business with large discounts.

On average, we tend to fly ~30 of our people per weekday between JFK and LHR (across both directions), and a similar amount to SFO and LAX from JFK (all J).
 
777PHX
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Let's be real - if UA was worried about sensitive information being disseminated - they wouldn't be posting this stuff on a display in a crew lounge. No one is losing their jobs over this.
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:41 pm

FURUREFA wrote:
My company (NYC HQ-ed major financial institution) factually has been AA's single largest account consistently over the last 20 years. That said, DL (and B6 to a lesser extent) has made a HUGE push for our business with large discounts.

On average, we tend to fly ~30 of our people per weekday between JFK and LHR (across both directions), and a similar amount to SFO and LAX from JFK (all J).


IMHO for all their faults AA/BA have the J class seat volume to handle that scale of contract (45-86 J class seats per JFK-LHR flight). By comparison DL/VS have only got small J class cabins (30ish seats roughly) so availability/flexibility would be problematic, making it an impractical proposition to change.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos