Jkat
Topic Author

Whats Flying Really Like Now?

Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:57 am

I havent flown since this summer and I am planning a vacation next week. I am quite nervous about being up in the skies again. How have security procedures changed in the airport and in the air?

sushka

RE: Whats Flying Really Like Now?

Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:24 am

I havent flown on an airliner since Sept 11. I have done alot of flying privatly and that hasnt really changed. Some things have changed however with the airlines. There was a post about how United doesnt close their curtains anymore just so they can see the entire cabin. That might be with all the airlines now.

I cant wait till June when Im finnaly going on airliners again, have fun!  Big thumbs up
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

EGGD

Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:27 am

Don't know about the USA, but the only thing I found in UK and Canada was at Calgary where we had to walk through a disinfected mat for Mad cow disease! Big grin and this was in December...

RoyalDutch

Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:02 am

Went to BCN through FRA from PRG in December, and it was all the same, except less food than my last LH flight, due to cost-cutting measures.

cedarjet

Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:12 am

No different at all, except on Emirates they used plastic cutlery on the flights that started and ended in the UK, which I assume is a stupid British CAA rule, not Emirates policy because DXB-SIN-SYD and v.v. were metal cutlery. That was the sole difference I've noticed since 11th September, and I've flown on a British Midland (oh sorry it's "bmi" now, mustn't forget the lower case) charter in September, BA to Munich and back in December and the aforementioned Emirates J-class jaunt to Sydney and back last week.

Unless you're flying to or from Washington National you won't notice any difference at all.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

serge

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:46 am

Nothing has really changed. The security is supposed to be tighter but I find it is about the same, some airports like SFO have added those huge x-ray machines which screen EVERY checked bag (at least at SFO).

I have flown 13 different commercial segments on 4 different airlines since 9-11 (UA, AWAC, WN, and GQ) and enjoyed every single one, even got to visit the cockpit before the flight on every plane I requested to do so..

Enjoy your flights!
...Serge  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ILOVEA340

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:55 am

I flew FRA-IAD-SFO all no UA 777's in january. I have to say that the security in FRA is much tighter than it is at IAD. Still you have nothing to worry about. I don't really see how there is more likely to be a problem now then there was before 911.

neednewairport

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:58 am

well, I have flown three times since 9/11 and my most recent SAN - SFO last week proved that things have returned to normal. Security is a joke (except for the dudes with guns, like Europe), the flights are over-booked, y class service sucks, f class service (domestically) is just barely acceptable.

Now, I am flying into DCA on the 26th, we shall see if that is any different.....

hkgspotter1

Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:49 am

I've flown four times, unless your going to or from the states its fine !!. Just avoid America !!

blink182

Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:22 am

Anybody know what DFW is like for security? I am supposed to fly out of there next week(spring break).

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

ILUV767

Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:24 am

With the exception of liner lines, nothing has really changed.

I L U V 7 6 7

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:36 am

Just more people bitching.....

asgeirs

Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:49 am

I flew KEF-STN (Keflavik, Iceland - London Stansted, UK) and back one month after September 11th with GO and the only thing I could notice was that there was a bit more security at the airports. I didn't notice any difference aboard the plane. The FA's were actually repeatedly entering the cockpit (which was unlocked) during the whole flight.
Reykjavik Aviation Photography - Just bring the aircraft to us and we'll photograph them! :-)

ammunition

Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:01 am

well.... flying to france last year in mid november, i was security checked at every possible place, at CDG mainly, but also at MAN, i have never been through either airport before (apart from CDG when i was 5 or so) and didnt know what to expect with regards to security.
I was thoroughly (i say i, when in fact it was my hand baggage mainly) checked during all possible security check points at CDG, all of my hand baggage was removed from the bag and placed on either the table- by the x-ray machine thingy or close by, it was very embarassing- especially as i had ermm..... dare i say it..... STEPS album in there lol, amongst other unusual things. All of my hand baggae was checked thoroughly at both MAN and CDG.
I didnt mind, it was a little embarassing, but its all for safety's sake, and i understood. Maybe they checked me because i am indian- and kinda look arab- with all due respect to arab people.
anyway i had a very nice uneventful flight and i suppose thats what matters at the end of the day- safety  Smile
regards
Ammunition
P.S. i think i will start a new thread on the most unusual piece of hand baggage ever taken on board  Big thumbs up
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

MDCJets

Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:33 am

Honestly I wouldn't have found anything different flying SNA-SJC

jhooper

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:03 am

In the U.S., some new noticable specific security measures include:

1) Must present valid identification upon boarding the aircraft (Actually, you'll probably show your ID 3 or 4 times to different people, so might as well have it out and available).

2) No unticketed passengers allowed through security checkpoints

3) Random "additional" searches of passengers and luggage at the gate.

4) National Guard with machine guns at airports

5) No knives or other sharp objects allowed through security checkpoints

6) Bag matching on all flights, selected passengers must have checked luggage screened for bombs.

7) Flights in or out of DCA (and other sensitive events like the Olympics) - all passengers must remain seated while within 30 minutes of takeoff or landing from this location.

That's all I remember off the top of my head. I've flown 40 segments since 9/11. The general atmosphere around the airports has changed, as well as the attitudes of the airline employees (as if they weren't bad enough before). You should arrive no later than one hour before departure, and arriving earlier than that would be preferrable, as lines to go through security checkpoints can last half an hour or more. During really peak times, I've seen lines as long as six hours.

Have a nice flight!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

chepos

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:01 am

On my AA flight yesterday from SJU-MCO I noticed nothing out of the ordinary except that AA has discontinued meal service, apparently people are flying again cause all AA flights out of SJU last night were apparently full. In my opinion security is way to relaxed again and if the authoritties don't do something about this something might haooen again.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:34 am

Basically the attitude around most US airports now is very gloomy. No one appears to be having any fun flying any more. I'm still having fun and I wish others (most the un-frequent fliers would stop looking so scared). Frequent fliers and most business travelers seem more ticked off and complain more than before.

Some places its more noticable than others, it depends on the security screening, attitude of employees, and other variables. Lines in some places are no different, other times they are much longer, its just depends.

Most flights don't seem any different, except one some the flight crews will make all sorts of announcements about standing in the aisle, Federal Air Marshalls, gathering near the lav, etc. This is the exception. Out of 30 flights or so I've had in the past six months, I only had one flight like this, the others there was no difference.