dc8v8er
Topic Author

Greensboro Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 pm

I would love to see Jetblue or Spirit put a significant foothole in GSO.

unusualattitude

Re: Greensboro Aviation Thread

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm concerned that Spirit's big splash in RDU will weaken the chances for any meaningful growth in GSO. B6 hasn't seemed to show any interest. They do ok in RDU with the BOS and FLL flights, the JFK almost seems like just a token presence these days. CLT has been just treading water for them for a long time as far as number of flights for them.

TWFlyGuy

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm a bit surprised WN has entered the market. To simply say they (any carrier) is in CLT & RDU dimisses that greater GSO is still 800,000 on its own. I have to imagine there to be enough demand to warrant a presence to MDW, BNA, FLL...

unusualattitude

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am

I know the numbers suggest otherwise, but people in GSO just seem to be trained to accept the drive to either CLT or RDU for cheaper flights. The very few flights done by NK, G4 and the previous flights done by F9 seemed to have minimal impact. The short lived Skybus experiment was the last time GSO saw real LCC competition to any major markets.

gsoflyer

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:42 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
I'm a bit surprised WN has entered the market. To simply say they (any carrier) is in CLT & RDU dimisses that greater GSO is still 800,000 on its own. I have to imagine there to be enough demand to warrant a presence to MDW, BNA, FLL...

The greater GSO area is 1.6 million (minus the 100,000 on the Burlington side that easily switch to Raleigh), plus pulls from the Roanoke area. Problem is, people are so used to going to RDU at this point.... locals rarely look at GSO anymore, they look at RDU first.

gsoflyer

Re: Greensboro Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Also, there was a weird "announcement" make on the PTI website was also on Wikipedia the same day about JetBlue starting BOS and United starting IAH and DEN starting in June/July timeframes. Within 1 day, both were gone. So, I've been wondering if something was in the works that we don't know about yet.

gsoflyer

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Also note:
FedEx just added service to CAE in addition to Mountain Air Cargo, and Mountain Air Cargo picked EWN, ILM back up and added MYR

mikejepp

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Does anyone know what the peak departures in GSO were versus how many are today? Seems like back in the 90s, it had 50-75 mainline departures a day. 727s, 737s, DC-9s, F100s mostly.

Anything major happening in the future of the airport expected? Seems like FedEx is increasing, HAECO/TIMCO is growing, and Honda is busy. Though on the other aspects, the airport is in decline (passenger service, general aviation)... is much of anything happening at Swift Air (the former Tradewinds hangars)?

Delta28L

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:33 pm

The major thing happening that’s been announced is that spirit airlines is starting service in a couple of months

unusualattitude

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Delta28L wrote:
The major thing happening that’s been announced is that spirit airlines is starting service in a couple of months

Spirit service has already started, a few months ago. Seems quiet other than that unless any of the B6 or UA rumors are true.

Rbgso

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:22 pm

It would be nice is Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant started offering daily service instead of three times per week.

stxbohn

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm

gsoflyer wrote:
United starting IAH and DEN starting in June/July timeframes.

My favorite rumor, I can't wait for IAH to come back... ~7 years without it. I'll gladly pay more for a direct to GSO instead of have the drive to/from RDU, make CLT work, or connect through IAD/ORD. Hope we can land a couple flights at reasonable times too. With how CLT and RDU have gone to E-170/E-175 or mainline from IAH, it seems like E-145XR, 50 seater econs don't work at the 1000 mi distance, and the incremental cost and capability of a E-jet fit the flight segment better. I wonder how much traffic United loses to American/Delta from GSO with better west bound connectivity through CLT/ATL/DFW?

Maybe with the addition of the E-175SCs with 70 seats, the CRJ-550s, or scope relief to add 76 seaters to the fleet they can free up some frames to bring back IAH-GSO.

DEN-GSO seems like a stretch to me. Maybe that's a better hub connection than IAH for United.

norcarolinian

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 am

mikejepp wrote:
Does anyone know what the peak departures in GSO were versus how many are today?

Around 1995-1996 I want to say there were around 120 daily departures largely due to the CO hub. GSO served between 1.9 and 2.2 million passengers those years. There were numerous 737, 727, DC9, F100, and MD80s flying through here with AA, CO, DL, UA, and US not mention the props. Today there around 65 daily departures on 5 airlines; G4, AA, DL, NK, and UA.

Otherwise at GSO...
Sad F9 decided not to return after 6 years of service to DEN. And the NK announcement has since been overshadowed with their recent entry into RDU and CLT. Although I have heard they are doing ok here. G4 has shown no willingness to expand beyond their token SFB and PIE service either.

Some good news is that boardings were up almost 7% last year to around 1.8 million
https://www.journalnow.com/business/the ... 6d500.html

And FX is up to around 20 cities or so for cargo. GSO is now the busiest cargo hub in the state:
https://www.greensboro.com/business/loc ... 0b718.html

And as another stated, HondaJet, Cessna/Citation, and HAECO continue to grow here.

Personally I would like to see:
G4: LAS
AA: more mainline to CLT and DFW
DL: BOS, MSP
F9: a return to DEN, at least seasonally
NK: BWI, LAS
UA: IAH and/or DEN

To me, BWI, LAS, IAH, and BOS are the biggest voids and I would also like to see WN and B6 enter GSO at some point.... Unfortunately the RDU/CLT vacuum(s) shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.

gsoflyer

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm

mikejepp wrote:
Does anyone know what the peak departures in GSO were versus how many are today? Seems like back in the 90s, it had 50-75 mainline departures a day. 727s, 737s, DC-9s, F100s mostly.

Anything major happening in the future of the airport expected? Seems like FedEx is increasing, HAECO/TIMCO is growing, and Honda is busy. Though on the other aspects, the airport is in decline (passenger service, general aviation)... is much of anything happening at Swift Air (the former Tradewinds hangars)?

In 2011 before the collapse and recession, GSO had 119 daily departures. We have about 2/3 that now. And that included the oddball United to CLT, US Airways to ROA and MYR; along with old cities like PIT, CVG, MEM, BOS, IAH that we now no longer have service to.

flymco753

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Compared to what DL was at 1 year ago, GSO-DTW is 3x E7W now. It was 3x CRJ.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

gsoflyer

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:01 pm

norcarolinian wrote:
mikejepp wrote:
Personally I would like to see:
AA: more mainline to CLT and DFW
DL: BOS, MSP, JFK
F9: a return to DEN, at least seasonally
NK: BWI, LAS
UA: IAH and/or DEN

This is near my thoughts of what I'd like to see:
DL: BOS, JFK
UA: IAH, DEN
Alaska: Would really like to see 1 Alaska flight per day to SEA

I'll be honest, I stopped flying United west and to South America because of the lack of IAH connection. Plus my company has constant back and forth to IAH that they're forcing us into RDU and CLT to get the direct flights from. Wouldn't say we could guarantee loads, but gosh, the flights were full back when I used to fly them.

Delta needs JFK here. It is better connections to EU and quicker to Asia connecting through Europe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos