readytotaxi

Re: Big Bang actress rants about United

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am

At a million $ per episode, plus repeats, why is she not flying private?
Cue- "Warm Kitty Soft Kitty" in the background
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

1ffb2002

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Ms. Bialik's experience with United mirrors my own over the years. Many UA gate agents and ticket counter personnel I have encountered over the years I flew United, treat customers as the enemy. I remember a UA employee going out of their way to be disagreeable with me even though I was a full-fare business class passenger flying from Dallas to Melbourne, Australia on a very expensive ticket. Honestly, this contrasts with American, where I cannot remember a situation [2 million miler on AA] where I have ever had a confrontation with an employee. It has never happened to me, ever. Since my son works for AA, I can even say this courtesy extends to me when I am traveling non-revenue on AA. AA employees have always treated me with respect and kindness. On United, time and time again, the airport personnel seemed to go out of their way to be disagreeable. In that end, I avoid UA at all costs.

Ms. Bialik was not treated as a welcome guest who paid for her experience on UA. She has every right to be upset. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and compassion. If the UA personnel had provided empathy and compassion for their not being able to accommodate her and her bag on the flight she wanted to board, this outcome would not have occurred. Obviously she was treated callously and without much respect. Unfortunately, that is the United way.

MSPNWA

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm

ScottB wrote:
Look, if the customer was able to arrive at the gate before the gate agent was able to board those standby passengers, clearly there's something very wrong with that formula -- she could have been boarded along with the standbys and she indicated she would have been willing to take an economy seat if the airline had already given away her REVENUE FIRST CLASS seat.

Frankly, it sounds a lot more like a case of just another lazy gate agent who can't be bothered to make an effort. And that's why United won't match Delta's yield premium.

I've seen this happen countless times on DL, and I've been a victim of it with them too. It has absolutely nothing to do with a particular airline, and it has everything to do with standard airline operations.

Once you're late to the gate, you're at risk of losing your seat, no matter who you are. Standby passengers have just as much right to that seat once the cutoff has passed. A lazy FA would actually leave with seats open or the wrong person in F. Boarding people late sounds like an gate agent doing their job, not the other way around.

ryanov wrote:
I'm quite sure it's possible on a full flight to have your seat given away at the 15 minute mark and for people to be boarded after you arrive.

:checkmark: Happens routinely. Once that call is made, standbys are not instantly boarded and gone from the gate area, particularly when an F seat is involved.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

She doesn't make that. It's closer to $250,000 per episode. Not a lot, considering the longevity and ratings popularity of the show.

Hell, the show's entire budget is less than Nine Million per show, which is pretty low for the same reasons.

It ain't like the good old days...
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...

HPAEAA

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
ScottB wrote:
Look, if the customer was able to arrive at the gate before the gate agent was able to board those standby passengers, clearly there's something very wrong with that formula -- she could have been boarded along with the standbys and she indicated she would have been willing to take an economy seat if the airline had already given away her REVENUE FIRST CLASS seat.

Frankly, it sounds a lot more like a case of just another lazy gate agent who can't be bothered to make an effort. And that's why United won't match Delta's yield premium.

I've seen this happen countless times on DL, and I've been a victim of it with them too. It has absolutely nothing to do with a particular airline, and it has everything to do with standard airline operations.

Once you're late to the gate, you're at risk of losing your seat, no matter who you are. Standby passengers have just as much right to that seat once the cutoff has passed. A lazy FA would actually leave with seats open or the wrong person in F. Boarding people late sounds like an gate agent doing their job, not the other way around.

Just to round it out, it’s happened to me on AA as well, my PVG flight was 2 hours late and arrived about 45 mins before my connection at LAX, fortunately between global entry and the fact that I only had carry ons I was able to make it to the gate about 25 mins before departure... the agent had given away the seat and I was stuck until the next flight...
1.4mm and counting...

WaywardMemphian

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
She has apparently been having a mental breakdown since a breakup just before Christmas by some of the reports I have read. I think this speaks more about her mental health than it does UA's service standards..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2pKnvH0V0

That about sums up modern America perfectly but has nothing to do with this event. She may have been much more abrasive, there is no video to back up or refute any of this.

SuperiorPilotMe

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm

tpaewr wrote:

People self importance is just redic sometimes

Ya ikr?

Like yours.

ScottB wrote:

Look, if the customer was able to arrive at the gate before the gate agent was able to board those standby passengers, clearly there's something very wrong with that formula --

Not according to A.net. According to A.net the God Emperor United Airlines is infallible and it’s her fault for not reading from the Book of Boeing.

[quote=“ScottD”]
FlyHossD wrote:
yes, I do expect most passengers to know the difference between a gate agent and someone sometimes similarly dressed onboard the aircraft - a flight attendant. It wouldn't be a surprise that even a novice passenger could figure that one out, let alone someone who probably travels regularly. She's a smart and highly educated woman - not to mention a brilliant actress - and she doesn't know that flight attendants not only don't shut the aircraft door, but don't shut the door to the jetbridge either???

I think that if you asked airline passengers, the vast majority would have absolutely no clue who opens or closes the aircraft or jetbridge door because you just don't see it from seat 35E. While Mayim Bialik does have a Ph.D. (in the same field her character does) that doesn't mean she knows anything about airline operations.[/quote][/quote]

Still though it’s her fault for not knowing that.

She would’ve known from reading the Book of Boeing like every other good A.netter.

“and thou shall forgive United for awful service for they are the ones who provide the metal birds for the capturing of their likeness for the girlfriendless many.”

WaywardMemphian wrote:

That about sums up modern America perfectly

Yeah I know America is so behind the times compared to Yurop who is too busy having crippling debt and propping up dic(k)tators to have problems like America.
Last edited by SuperiorPilotMe on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Maybe airlines should start selling DYKWIA service. Charge $50K/year for DYKWIA card which allows any antics by the cardholder within the law.

FlyHossD

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 pm

SuperiorPilotMe wrote:
I think that if you asked airline passengers, the vast majority would have absolutely no clue who opens or closes the aircraft or jetbridge door because you just don't see it from seat 35E. While Mayim Bialik does have a Ph.D. (in the same field her character does) that doesn't mean she knows anything about airline operations.

“and thou shall forgive United for awful service for they are the ones who provide the metal birds for the capturing of their likeness for the girlfriendless many.”

That's not even a moderately artful dodge; the point was that passengers do know that a gate agent works at - ahem - the gate and that flight attendants* work the cabin of the airplane. A passenger doesn't need to know in advance who closes the doors to observe that the gate agents - not the flight attendants - open and close the aircraft and jetbridge doors.

So there's no need to deliberately sidetrack the discussion over which employee group opens or closes the doors, though. My point was that a highly educated woman claimed something that isn't true and therefore, at least that part of her narrative isn't true. Which does bring to question - what else isn't true? We - I and you - don't know because we weren't there.

I do wonder how UA managed to accommodate her. Have you noticed how little has been said since the missed connection event? Does UAL's emphasis on on-time departures need to be modified? Perhaps so.

Many years ago (19-20?), an American AIrlines flight attendant screamed at me for changing seats** (in the same row) and I've never flown AA again as a result. I wonder how Ms. Bialik will react to this event.

*In my occasional air travels, I do still hear passengers refer to flight attendants as "stewardess' or stews," but it's clear that they know who works onboard the aircraft and who doesn't.

**Less than 10 minutes before pushback on a 752 with less than 25 passengers onboard.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Aptivaboy

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:32 pm

You know, after reading all of these posts, I'm really saddened; saddened by the views of many in the thread, and even sadder with the way that many people in the thread are sniping at each other. We've got people knocking each others' countries and commenting on Ms. Bialik's alleged "breakdown," as if any of us armchair shrinks really has a clue.

The truth is, we don't really know what happened. United does, however, and I'm sure the surveillance footage has already been looked at by the appropriate PR hacks. You see, that's my ultimate fallback position: check the security camera footage. If the passenger is flat out dead wrong, then I would expect an airline to release said footage and defend itself, as it should, or to at least comment saying that the footage seems to show a different story, gently allowing the complainant to withdraw from the fray. If the airline was wrong, or if there was mutual fault between the airline and the passenger, then I wouldn't expect the footage to be released since the airline would be defending itself. We see incidents like these all of the time in shoplifting incidents, police bodycam footage, and so on. In fact, the two local sheriff's deputies that I know love it when their bodycam footage is examined and they're found to have acted absolutely properly. The fact the United hasn't said, "Hey, looky what we got here!" suggests to me that the airline was at least partially guilty of something, and they know it.

Whether Ms. Bialik handled things properly, I know now. However, United had no problems with her carry-on during the first leg of her trip but then suddenly did. This likely indicates an inconsistent application of United's own carry-on rules. If passengers were allowed to board after her, also with large carry-ons, then this likewise should ring some alarm bells about inconsistent rules application. Again, the security camera footage would tell the tale.

Okay, I'm off on a sick day. Back to bed. Have a great day everyone. Really.

ikramerica

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

It’s no doubt UA gave her seat away due to tight connection only to have her actually hussle and get there in time. Then they stalled her.

AA did this to me and my cousin out if MIA once. Stalled us at the check in counter and again at the gate. On paid F. When we were finally boarded into Y seats, we looked at who was in our paid Fseats. A famous fashion designer and his companion.

My cousin was pissed and he worked for CAA. He was able to find out after the fact through connections that the designer has booked the night before and AA “made room” for him. It was Russian roulette to see which non-important customers were bumped. We checked in last, we caught the bullets. This was pre-online checkin days, pre-kiosk. This was MIA-LAX and there are “preferred” customers regularly on that route. Not us.

aerorobnz wrote:
She has apparently been having a mental breakdown since a breakup just before Christmas by some of the reports I have read. I think this speaks more about her mental health than it does UA's service standards..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2pKnvH0V0

Not just her boyfriend. Her show is wrapped too. Her life is completely empty all of a sudden. Many actresses turn to drugs when this happens. I hope she can get through it, as she is actually a nice person.

With pilot season starting maybe she wasn’t offered anything good either. Which means a season of guest roles on cop shows as the murderer.

Quirky character actors don’t often get more roles. A show like WKRP, which was popular, was full of character actors. Few got other regular work. And for some it took a long time. Many years of “murderer of the week” roles.

Maybe UA knew she wasn’t “very important” anymore so just treated her like a regular person, which means not very well.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LAXLHR

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

She doesn't make that. It's closer to $250,000 per episode. Not a lot, considering the longevity and ratings popularity of the show.

Hell, the show's entire budget is less than Nine Million per show, which is pretty low for the same reasons.

As someone that works in the industry, she makes arounds $450K per episode plus backend points, not that it matters whether its 2,400k or a mil. Even Janet Jackson and Madonna fly commercial from time to time. (albeit not domestically to the midwest) but yes, many celebs do this.

Every passenger deserves to be treated well!
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:25 am

LAXLHR wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

As someone that works in the industry, she makes arounds $450K per episode plus backend points, not that it matters whether its 2,400k or a mil. Even Janet Jackson and Madonna fly commercial from time to time. (albeit not domestically to the midwest) but yes, many celebs do this.

Huh. Interesting. The numbers I've heard were from an Agent neighbor of mine, a year or two back. But if you know better, you know better. In any case, even at 450/unit (+P&R), I would still feel like she's working for less than she could, given what that show brings in.

But most importantly...

LAXLHR wrote:
Every passenger deserves to be treated well!

Damned straight. Getting pretty sick of this pseudo populistic BS that so many folks are buying into. Being wealthy and/or famous doesn't automatically mean someone's a jerk. Leave alone that it's ok for some airline to push them around like that. One thing about this site that consistently baffles me... The way folks will argue all day long that it's ok to be treated like crap, because airlines are special. Or something. If someone paid for a service, they should get that without further delay. Ok, [/rant].

ikramerica wrote:
It’s no doubt UA gave her seat away due to tight connection only to have her actually hussle and get there in time. Then they stalled her.

And this thread should have ended right there. This is UA's mess.

ikramerica wrote:
Not just her boyfriend. Her show is wrapped too. Her life is completely empty all of a sudden. Many actresses turn to drugs when this happens. I hope she can get through it, as she is actually a nice person.

With pilot season starting maybe she wasn’t offered anything good either. Which means a season of guest roles on cop shows as the murderer.

Quirky character actors don’t often get more roles. A show like WKRP, which was popular, was full of character actors. Few got other regular work. And for some it took a long time. Many years of “murderer of the week” roles.

Maybe UA knew she wasn’t “very important” anymore so just treated her like a regular person, which means not very well.

I don't know anything about her in real life, but the stereotypes presented with that comment are pretty hilarious.

Also, I don't think 'Character Actor' means what you think it does. Neither does SAG, at any rate; they're single most and most reliably employed segment of working actors. If you don't have a reputation for showing up late, fighting with production or direction, etc, you will get called for work on the regular. I know plenty of screen actors who do character and commercial work. And as an experienced Engineer, I wish I can say I make what they do.

In any case, what you're thinking of is more like a Bit Part.

As for her in particular, if she's not working after this, it's because she's not taking calls from her agent. Accreditation on a long running series will get you shed loads of calls. Just Sayin...
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...