crownvic
Topic Author

EL AL...MCO official announcement

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

I know its been discussed in the Orlando Topic Thread, but some may have missed it...

Not sure why Orlando, but I guess one day a week is no big risk....I remember seeing them here sporadically in the 80's along with Saudia too...

https://onemileatatime.com/el-al-orlando-flight/

flymco753

Re: EL AL...MCO official announcement

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Wow! That'll be cool albeit once a week.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

readytotaxi

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 pm

That does seem like an odd one, and the arrival time 06:30 ??? Well at least the CBP line should be very quick :D
Perhaps that $250,000 grant makes it attractive.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Naincompetent

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

The only two reasons I can think of are the large Jewish community living in Florida and Disneyworld!

flymco753

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Most of the Jewish people live in the Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. Theres no real significant Jeiwsh population in Central FL.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

usdcaguy

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:23 pm

It looks like they're trying to increase their aircraft utilization with once-weekly service to a destination that caters to Israelis. For US-originating pax, the times are terrible. Connections would be difficult, as most of the inbound flights at that time of day are offered by F9 or WN, which don't have T&B agreements with LY. Only a handful of flights land before 900a, so that really limits the number of connecting pax LY could hope to get from outside Orlando. The times are also questionable. I don't see how flying all night and arriving into MCO at 630a is attractive, since folks would have 8 hours before check-in after flying all night. I guess we'll see how this one does.

sargester

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Once a week with a grant, ill call it this flight will do well

ERJ170

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Doesn’t EL Al require a segregated gate with heighten security? That’s a lot for just a weekly flight
Aiming High and going far..

aemoreira1981

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:32 pm

This is a route that would actually be best once the B77Es are densified to 3-4-3 in Y at 320 seats or so...along with BKK and LAS. The plan is a mix of B77Es and B789s. The B77Es could be used for leisure destinations primarily while the B789s go to more premium destinations. (LY to me still has a glaring need for a B78X though.)

That said, I'm surprised that Arkia has not tried long-haul vacation spots.

drdisque

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Doesn’t EL Al require a segregated gate with heighten security? That’s a lot for just a weekly flight

When US flew PHL-TLV it was accomplished just with retractable barriers that could be stored when not in use. I don't know if El Al requires more than that though.

Fargo

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:56 pm

And still no ORD........ stunning

LAX772LR

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

drdisque wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

When US flew PHL-TLV it was accomplished just with retractable barriers that could be stored when not in use. I don't know if El Al requires more than that though.

Same for DL when they first launched ATL-TLV back in the day.... they originally brought out temporary barriers and set up additional TSA screening.

Afterwards, the permanent partitions, X-ray machines, etc were added to that gate in concourse E.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SCQ83

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:34 pm

This could be also be attractive for Christian groups originating in Central Florida and heading for the Holy Land.

aviationjunky

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 pm

At this point, it seems like they are pulling an F9 and kind of just throwing a dart at a US map to pick new destinations. First LAS, which still doesn't make much sense to me, now MCO. Disney is a great vacation spot, but Disney Paris is much closer. Even Disney Tokyo is closer. I don't think Disney has anything to do with the selection.
LAS is Life

yochai

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:38 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
This is a route that would actually be best once the B77Es are densified to 3-4-3 in Y at 320 seats or so...along with BKK and LAS. The plan is a mix of B77Es and B789s. The B77Es could be used for leisure destinations primarily while the B789s go to more premium destinations. (LY to me still has a glaring need for a B78X though.)

That said, I'm surprised that Arkia has not tried long-haul vacation spots.

Arkia is flying 3 weekly to BKK on a lease Neos 76W, and will strat Goa (1 weekly) and Cochin (2 weekly) in India using their new A321LR from September.

yochai

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
At this point, it seems like they are pulling an F9 and kind of just throwing a dart at a US map to pick new destinations. First LAS, which still doesn't make much sense to me, now MCO. Disney is a great vacation spot, but Disney Paris is much closer. Even Disney Tokyo is closer. I don't think Disney has anything to do with the selection.

Both Las Vegas and Orlando are extremly popular with Israeli tourists (LAS also with business pax). El Al lets you combine LAS with LAX or SFO and MCO with MIA. Forward bookings on the new LAS service are very strong with over 50% of the seats already booked 6 months in advance, both ways. This one without a doubt will do well and increase when more aircraft are avialable.

ORDfan101

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm

WHY NOT ORD YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ly204

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:19 pm

yochai wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:

Both Las Vegas and Orlando are extremly popular with Israeli tourists (LAS also with business pax). El Al lets you combine LAS with LAX or SFO and MCO with MIA. Forward bookings on the new LAS service are very strong with over 50% of the seats already booked 6 months in advance, both ways. This one without a doubt will do well and increase when more aircraft are avialable.

Question — my understanding in reading a press release on this flight is that they are planning MCO as summer seasonal service only...wouldn’t MCO be especially attractive in the winter months as well? Orlando is generally warmer than TLV in the winter.

Channex757

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm

LAS and MCO make a lot of sense. As well as business traffic and VFR, there are vacation possibilities both ways. Israelis want their holidays in reliably secure locations and the USA ticks those boxes. It's great to see LY moving outside of its prior niche of trunk routes and developing new markets.

windycity613

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:

LY is too scared of United at ORD Once United begins the IAD non stop TLV service hopefully United they will start ORD TLV non stop.

windycity613

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Channex757 wrote:
LAS and MCO make a lot of sense. As well as business traffic and VFR, there are vacation possibilities both ways. Israelis want their holidays in reliably secure locations and the USA ticks those boxes. It's great to see LY moving outside of its prior niche of trunk routes and developing new markets.

As seasonal perhaps MCO will be work. However with Virgin Trains (formerly Brightline) service from MIA to MCO not sure how long the flight will survive. Just fly the TLV MIA non stop and hop on the Virgin Train to Orlando.

ORD Boy 2

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm

No ORD? AGAIN? Come on LY.

winstonavgeek

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm

It is very interesting to hear about El Al and how they are using the 787. They are refraining from larger markets (ahem ORD cough cough) and they are going for the smaller destinations 1x weekly (LAS and MCO). Hopefully, the strategy and the subsidies pay off.

ORDfan101

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 pm

I hope UA flies tlv to ORD

ORDfan101

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 pm

Hopefully ua will use a -8 on the route

crownvic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm

windycity613 wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

As seasonal perhaps MCO will be work. However with Virgin Trains (formerly Brightline) service from MIA to MCO not sure how long the flight will survive. Just fly the TLV MIA non stop and hop on the Virgin Train to Orlando.

This train service does not exist and is years away from completion slated for late 2020 or early 2021...

TLVBAIR

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm

June/July/Aug are top demand months for Israelis traveling to vacation in the USA due school summer vacation.LAS and MCO are on every Israeli family with kids plan.Very smart choice LY,especially when one can start and finish their trip at any of LY's destinations in the USA.These flights are targeting Israel originating traffic,and USA originating traffic would just be a bonus for LY.Both cities already have a large Israeli expat community that flies to visit family in Israeli at least once a year.Usualy in the summer months.
Most Israelis prefer to return to Israel on LY due to security reasons,plus in my opinion LY's in flight service is superior to US carriers.

aemoreira1981

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:19 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:

Maybe with the B788. I suspect that one-stop ORD-TLV has a stronger market in Lufthansa and United.

I would also not be surprised to learn that: aside from the NYC metro area, most of El Al's point of sale is Israeli. For TLV-MCO, that is certainly the case, possibly at the cost of CDG. LY is likely looking at numbers of travelers originating and terminating before deciding where to go nonstop. MCO and LAS are tourist markets primarily.

sonicruiser

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

No.

Fargo

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:

Maybe with the B788. I suspect that one-stop ORD-TLV has a stronger market in Lufthansa and United.

I would also not be surprised to learn that: aside from the NYC metro area, most of El Al's point of sale is Israeli. For TLV-MCO, that is certainly the case, possibly at the cost of CDG. LY is likely looking at numbers of travelers originating and terminating before deciding where to go nonstop. MCO and LAS are tourist markets primarily.

The third largest MSA/CSA with the sixth busiest airport in the world, tons of international O&D, flights to all six continents, two large connecting hubs and many foreign flag carriers has a stronger one-stop LH/UA market to TLV than nonstop? No way.

There is no reason ORD shouldn't have a nonstop to TLV, it's an absolute joke it doesn't already. I'm not sure what UA/LY or even AA is waiting for.

steeler83

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 am

drdisque wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

I wish El Al served PHL. I guess it's too close to JFK for them to even consider it.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

mcogator

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 am

flymco753 wrote:
Most of the Jewish people live in the Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. Theres no real significant Jeiwsh population in Central FL.

But there are a heck of a lot of Evangelicals who love Israel more than American Jews do.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

nomorerjs

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:15 am

Fargo wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:

The third largest MSA/CSA with the sixth busiest airport in the world, tons of international O&D, flights to all six continents, two large connecting hubs and many foreign flag carriers has a stronger one-stop LH/UA market to TLV than nonstop? No way.

There is no reason ORD shouldn't have a nonstop to TLV, it's an absolute joke it doesn't already. I'm not sure what UA/LY or even AA is waiting for.

AA: no go to TLV. Dropped from perfect TATL PHL hub and no effort from JFK or MIA (bigger markets).
LY: Waitung for 788s or subsidy from Chicago, which won’t happen (unlike LAS and MCO).
UA: Limited widebody gates and would have to leave at 9pm bank. UA has EWR, IAD, and SFO.

If $ was to be made, airlines would find a way to make it work. Frustrating, yes, but obviously the economics aren’t there for it to work.

Amchi757300

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 am

flymco753 wrote:

I grew up in the Orlando area and I can assure you there is a significant jewish population in Central FL. I hope this flight is a success!

klm617

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 am

ORD Boy 2 wrote:
No ORD? AGAIN? Come on LY.

If they thought they could make money flying out of Chicago they would be there but obviously there isn't enough premium traffic to justify tying up assets when money can be made elsewhere. Not everything works out of Chicago and there are endless options that one can use flying from ORD to TLV.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:20 am

nomorerjs wrote:
Fargo wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

AA: no go to TLV. Dropped from perfect TATL PHL hub and no effort from JFK or MIA (bigger markets).
LY: Waitung for 788s or subsidy from Chicago, which won’t happen (unlike LAS and MCO).
UA: Limited widebody gates and would have to leave at 9pm bank. UA has EWR, IAD, and SFO.

If $ was to be made, airlines would find a way to make it work. Frustrating, yes, but obviously the economics aren’t there for it to work.

Well stated my friend.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 am

Fargo wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:

I can't believe you are making a statement like this. If there was a market for ORD-TLV somebody would be flying it.

Fargo

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 am

nomorerjs wrote:
Fargo wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

So the economies are there to make it work to AKL, BOG, AMM, ADD and possibly BNE in the not too distant future, etc, but not TLV?

Yeah, something doesn't add up here......

Fargo

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:32 am

klm617 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I can't believe you are making a statement like this. If there was a market for ORD-TLV somebody would be flying it.

Same goes for the the likes of the ME3 to DTW and DTW-MAN........

ORD-TLV is more likely than any of those

flymco753

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:45 am

Amchi757300 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I grew up in the Orlando area and I can assure you there is a significant jewish population in Central FL. I hope this flight is a success!
I'm curious to know where? Surely not south of the 417 or west of I4.

Amchi757300

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 am

flymco753 wrote:
Amchi757300 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Lake Mary, Longwood, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs (Seminole County really), Winter Park, College Park, etc. Anecdotal evidence I suppose, but all my friends growing up were jewish and I have been to more bar/batmitzvahs than I can count - and i'm not jewish.

nomorerjs

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:06 am

klm617 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Well stated my friend.

OMG, we agree! There is hope this year my friend. Let’s be classy from now on! Have a great evening!

ORDfan101

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:21 am

I think that it I’ll be ly. I hope it is ua because ly’s premium seats suck

DarthLobster

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 am

ORDfan101 wrote:

Maybe because you just WANT IT TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aemoreira1981

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 am

Fargo wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
Fargo wrote:

So the economies are there to make it work to AKL, BOG, AMM, ADD and possibly BNE in the not too distant future, etc, but not TLV?

Yeah, something doesn't add up here......

I should have considered AMM and to a greater extent, IST, as one stop options to TLV...the connecting flight could be on either an A321 or a B77W on IST, and the equipment varies on RJ from AMM to TLV (I would say that Turkish right now is the better 1-stop option as they run 8 daily flights to TLV and are the largest foreign carrier out of there). Unlike NYC-TLV and to a lesser extent, the West Coast to TLV, anywhere else from a US point of sale would be price sensitive.

winginit

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 am

klm617 wrote:
If there was a market for ORD-TLV somebody would be flying it.

klm617 wrote:
If they thought they could make money flying out of Chicago they would be there

We'll all be sure to remind you of your statements here whenever you bring up DTW-DUB, DTW-DXB, DTW-DOH, DTW-IST, DTW-MAN, etc. etc. etc.

windycity613

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:27 am

crownvic wrote:
windycity613 wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

This train service does not exist and is years away from completion slated for late 2020 or early 2021...

Yes, but to start a New route that in 1-2 years there is a train service (if everything goes according to schedule) I don't think the route will survive after the train service starts, especially since LY flies TLV MIA flight 3 times a week and adding a 4th flight in November 2019.

sonicruiser

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 am

flymco753 wrote:
Amchi757300 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

That is exactly what I was thinking.

crownvic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 am

windycity613 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
windycity613 wrote:

Yes, but to start a New route that in 1-2 years there is a train service (if everything goes according to schedule) I don't think the route will survive after the train service starts, especially since LY flies TLV MIA flight 3 times a week and adding a 4th flight in November 2019.

Why in the world would someone traveling from Asia/Middle East to Orlando chose Miami? What sense would it make to haul luggage from the plane to the train after a 12 hour flight and then ride another 3 hours by train to Central Florida??? I'm sure glad BA VS LH and all the other Intl.carriers don't take that approach...makes no sense!

MAH4546

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am

crownvic wrote:
windycity613 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Why in the world would someone traveling from Asia/Middle East to Orlando chose Miami? What sense would it make to haul luggage from the plane to the train after a 12 hour flight and then ride another 3 hours by train to Central Florida??? I'm sure glad BA VS LH and all the other Intl.carriers don't take that approach...makes no sense!

Because many foreign visitors think of Orlando parks as an extension of a trip to Miami (and some think of Miami as an extension of a trip to Orlando). No different than how foreigners visit LA and hop down to San Diego, or Vegas and make a trip to the Grand Canyon, or Nice and travel down to Monaco. In fact, El Al is advertising this service, which will operate a mere eight round trips and then end, as an easy way to visit both Miami and Orlando, with being able to fly into one airport and out the other.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos