CV990
Topic Author

Spotting At FAT/LAX/SFO, How Is It?

Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:48 am

Hi!

I might have a chance to study in Fresno during one year. I'll go with all the family and I would like to go and visit these 3 airports during some spare time and spott/take pictures there, can anyone living around these 3 airports give me any clues where are the best places to do my hobby? I wait your feedback, specially from our californian enthusiasts!!!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

FATFlyer

RE: Spotting At FAT/LAX/SFO, How Is It?

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:30 am

FAT is the base of the 144th Squadron, on active duty performing air intercept along the Pacific Coast. For base security since 9/11 a major street (McKinley) along the southern side of the airport has been closed. That caused the closure of the main spotting spot at FAT.

I have noticed some spotting going on near the north end of the FAT runways at the intersection of Dakota and Chestnut. People park south of Dakota on the west side of Chestnut. But I do not know if the police ask people to move along or not.

By the way, you will find a large Portuguese community in the area surrounding Fresno, consisting of recent immigrants up to the 3rd or 4th generation born in the US. Mainly Azorean but also some mainland. Because of that there are a number of Portuguese celebrations in the area throughout the year.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

fanoftristars

RE: Spotting At FAT/LAX/SFO, How Is It?

Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:16 am

There are lots of good places for spotting at LAX. I'm not sure if the theme bldg ever re-opened, but that was a fun place for spotting. Another of my favorites is at In n out on sepulveda blvd. It is right at the end of the runway, and at lunchtime, there are tons of asian heavies landing on the north runways.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos