AAgent
Topic Author

AA Unveils New AA.com

Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:04 am

American Airlines has unveiled it's new AA.com by offering a "tour" of the new site at...

http://www.touraa.com/

Check it out and offer your reactions.

Respectfully,
AAgent
War Eagle!

AY-MD11

RE: AA Unveils New AA.com

Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:06 am

It's looking good  Big thumbs up

Britair

Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:15 am

Cool  Smile

gibberish

Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:17 am

What an improvement! Their current one is just unsatisfactory. Let's wait and see how it will really be like. I'll be optimistic and say it'll be a success.

gibberish

AAgent
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:53 am

I really like the new and visually appealing aircraft seat maps where you can click on the exact seat you'd like to reserve. My first impression is that the new site is going to be great!

What are your favorite feature(s) of the new and improved site?

Respectfully,
AAgent
War Eagle!

Tan Flyr

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:01 am

Looks real good so far.Thanks!

I LOVE EWR

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:25 am

AAgent, this is a much improved website. Will you be able to chose the exit row seats on this new website? I know that you have to usually do it at the airport. On Delta.com though I am sometimes able to chose the exit row. Will that be available on the new AA.com

sfointern

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:42 am

From a web designer's standpoint, the functionality and ease of navigation is great.

However, aesthetically, the graphics (note: not content) are HORRIBLE. Especially the cheesy American Airlines circle in the corner.

chepos

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:52 am

It's looking good, especcially that feature were you can choose seats.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

bombayhog

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:12 am

I've found the current aa.com site to be poorly laid out and fairly awkward to navigate. I'm really happy with this design. Although from an aesthetic standpoint it's not the greatest, I think it looks nice enough, and the content seems like it will more than make up for any insufficiencies looks-wise. I especially like the function which allows you to book an award flight in the same way you would book a paid flight. Good job AA.

/gwl

chepos

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:19 am

I find AA's current site prety simple and easy to navigate.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

sfointern

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:47 am

Keep in mind UA has had a seat-picking/award reservation capability on United.com for over a year now.

AA.com is just playing catchup to other websites. About time.

American 767

Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:05 am

I think it's a great site. I'll definitely spent a lot of time surfing on this site for fun. I'm looking forward to book my next trip on the new aa.com
Nice work!

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:20 am

Just another thing that AA has done that is better than United and as usual SFOIntern can't bring himself to acknowledge it.

How long will we have to wait for United's new site? Probably nothing in the works. Or if there was, the money dried up when United cut out all capital expenditures from its budget.

As to the aesthetics of the site, I think it had to be that simple because of the desire to increase the functionality of the homepage. Plus, the circle is not "cheesy" at all; it is consistent with AA's emphasis on conic sections throughout its new branding scheme. From bulkheads to ticket counters, AA has been sporting some nice curves. On the website, the oval with the words "American Airlines" is a good complement to the circlular face of the 777. Any other shape would have not have worked in that triangular corner or in combination with the circle of the plane. Quite a graphic problem and the designer solved it well without resorting to cheap theatrics. In fact, the combination of a circle with an oval is very retro. Think Austin Powers. Think Lava Lamp.

AA is no graphically-challenged Airline... If you want to talk graphically-challenged, we could debate the merits of Continental's website or even United's new decor scheme.

sfointern

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:30 am

Oy vey. Get over yourself.

United already updatede its site recently.

The last AA.com site's navbar (not the tacky top one, but the one with the graphics) was very attractive. It incorporated the "conic sections" well enough and looked professional.

With this update, the difference in content and the content frame's navigability is night and day, and much better. However, the graphical revamps are completey backwards.

Everything else AA has done marketing-wise in graphics (More Room billboards with that deep blue gradient... etc...) have been very sharp. This work just seems like a doozie.

I never said UA's site was better. But United.com has generally been the first with website innovations (flight paging, online award booking w/seat reservation).

One thing that most of the majors lack on the web is On-Line Check-In. Alaska and Northwest have this. Kudos to them.

sfointern

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:47 am

Well I just explored the tour further, and actually, it looks great except for:

(a) The oval around the AA logotype
(b) The Cheezy Looking 777

This is my opinion only. I think for those two they should have stuck with the old aircraft/title graphic, or something similar.

AA@DFW

Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:07 pm

I agree... the new site is great..... except:

the oval around the American Airlines name...
and the badly positioned 777...

i hope they change those 2 things, and the site will be great!

AA@DFW

FlyPNS1

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:02 pm

Yipppeeee...it's about time. The site looks pretty good. Hopefully the new AA.com will have fewer error messages and be more user friendly.

Trvlr

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:21 pm

For some reason, the present AA.com lets you pick your seats, but only if your an AAdvantage member.

Aaron G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos