johnboy

Why Not Include Orange County In WN Fare Sales?

Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:12 pm

With nearly every airfare sale that Southwest announces, they always say at the end, "....does not include Orange County...." (and sometimes Houston Intercontinental).

But then they advertise Internet fares from OAK-SNA that are consistent with other So Cal locales.

This really annoys me, mainly because I can't really figure out a good, logical reason for excluding those fine folks behind the Orange Curtain.

People, shouldn't Dennis Rodman and his Newport Beach buds be able to experience a little LUV in their lives?

RE: Why Not Include Orange County In WN Fare Sales?

Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:33 pm

Johnboy: isn't Orange county John Wayne Int'l? If it is, then I believe that WN might have to pay more in fees and such, which would make those sales be unprofitable for them.

If you are talking about trans-con sales then of course IAH won't be included for an obvious reason. The only destination from IAH is Love Field, which is restricted by the Wright Amendment(Do a search to find out what it is if you don't know.)

rlwynn

Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:32 pm

I do not think it has much to do with fees. I think it would be the limited number of flights they have at SNA. They do not need to have a sale from here.
I can drive faster than you

sccutler

Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:56 pm

Combinations of the above- SNA is a capacity-controlled field, WN (and every carrier there) run high loads there already. It would be counter-productive to pack those planes with lower-yield pax when they'll fill anyway.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

LAXintl

Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:09 pm

SNA is one of the highest yield markets in the US. It would be silly for a carrier to allow the uneeded drop in yields.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

yyz717

Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:07 am

yield mgmt. no need to offer seat sales when seats can sell at higher fares.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.