jcxp15

What Ever Happened To AirTran's Big Announcement?

Thu Mar 21, 2002 11:56 am

I thought last Friday AirTran was supposed to come out and announce a color change... This obviously never happened, so when will they announce it (if indeed they are planning to)?

BTW - It looks like the 717's will be coming back soon to PNS  Smile

travatl

RE: What Ever Happened To AirTran's Big Announcement?

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:40 am

I've been hearing about a "Big Announcement" at AirTran for seven years.....please wake me when it
arrives.

Travis

gr8slvrflt

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:51 am

Currently in the rumor mill:

1. 737-700s
2. 717 "white-tails" from VuelaMex
3. New paintscheme
4. Merger with National
5. Colorado Springs, Denver, Cancun, San Juan

Any more out there?
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

gr8slvrflt

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:57 am

I almost forgot:

6. Gates in ATL on D-Concourse
7. Charlotte, Cinncinatti, Detroit, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe
8. Gold sweaters for F/As
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

bobnwa

Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:29 am

Did AirTran ever say they were going to have a big announcement?

gr8slvrflt

Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:34 am

9. There's going to be a big announcement!
10. AirTran owns 757s (parked at MCO, leased to National, somewhere in Europe, etc.)

Boeing757/767

Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:57 am

11. AirTran goes global, becomes first U.S. pax carrier to order A380.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

fsuwxman

Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:37 am

12. AirTran makes an effort to arrive and depart ontime at least once a day.

(Not a slam on AirTran, I love flying them, I just wish they could be ontime a bit more.)
ASOS... Another Shi#y Observation Station

srbmod

RE: What Ever Happened To AirTran's Big Announceme

Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:03 am

The rumored 'Big Announcement' is that there is the rumor of a 'Big Announcement'. The last 'big announcement' rumor at AirTran that actually happened was when AirTran tried to bid on TWA.

travatl

Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:19 am

OK, I finished a trip on Tuesday, and honestly, this is what I heard in *ONE* day:

-we are currently in the process of leasing six gates at LAS. However, we will not feed ATL nonstop, all flights will be to other cities (i.e. DFW, MDW, MSP, ICT, etc.).

-we are getting all of VuelaMex's 717s

-if can get the AA/TWA 717s, will park all but five DC9s this year. Would prefer to park all of them, but growth is going to be rapid.

-a second aircraft type (in addition to the 717) is definitely in the works, and will be brought into the fleet spring 2003.

These were heard from people who had them on "very reliable" sources. (Previous "very reliable rumors": merger with Continental, merger with America West, merger with ATA, purchase of 757s, we own 757s but they are being leased to blah blah blah, new hub at COS, 717-300 launch, etc. etc. etc.)

For the record, AirTran DOES NOT own any 757s, that are being leased to "Blank Airlines". This rumor has been around for years. As a publicly traded company, ALL assets of AirTran Holdings, Inc. must be listed in the annual report. And each year, I comb that sucker lookin for the 757s, and alas, they are just not there.

Yes there will be some rapid growth this year, and yes, we'll probably see some new cities. But other than that I don't look to see any "Airline or Industry Altering" announcements from the Tran any time soon.

Travis

gr8slvrflt

Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:22 am

But what about the new sweaters?

travatl

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:00 am

Gr8SlvrFlt -

Of course, why didn't see it sooner?!?! The new red customer service uniforms MUST mean that Richard Branson has acquired AirTran, and we will now be flying under the banner "Virgin America".

I can't believe this slipped past me..thank you for pointing it out.

(OK honestly - this rumor also did raise it's head around '98 during the America West talks).

Travis

critter

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:06 am

Just as Travatl said. Big announcement rumors at Airtran are rampant. I worked at Airtran for six years, and actually started about the same time that Travis did. The whole time I was there a new rumor arrived on a daily basis. In fact it got to the point that we started some ourselves in our workgroup to see how far they would fly. I would say that we were pretty successful because I just saw some of the ones we started listed above.  Smile In all seriousness any one that is familure with Airtran also knows one of the golden rules. "Believe it when you see it and not until then."

Anyway life goes on in my new world of FedEx. Travis I miss all of the friendships that I gained while I was a part of the TEAM. It sure was a great six years and I wish you all of the best.

P.S. I did hear that Airtran was going to be changing the pill in the urinals in all of there facitlities to a more appealing sea blue color. It was determined that this color has a calming effect on the workforce and also does not show the yellow pee stains that the old white ones did. All of this comes without sacrificing that clean fresh scent that is so greatly enjoyed as the employees get relief.

Cheers!

Fly AAI/ Buy AAI

critter

travatl

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:16 am

Aaaaaah.....you left the teal tails, for the purple ones, huh? Someday, we too, shall have a paint scheme that makes sense.....

See.....the new blue pill in the urinals is already starting to take effect on me.....everything's great....just wear the new red uniform pieces, and world peace shall be achieved......

Travis

usairways85

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:36 am

so in essence it sounds like airtran wants to open up a westcoast operation and expand on the westcoast. however what about competition with SWA. dont they have like a stronghold in the west.

airlinelover

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:44 am

Airtran is starting FNT-MCO nonstop soon.. That's news.. for some of us..
Also, with their presence at FNT, I doubt DTW very much.. at least in the near future.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

travatl

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:50 am

Again, you are assuming these rumors are fact.....don't believe it 'till you see it.

Travis

travatl

Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:54 am

My "rumors are fact" statement was in regard to USAirways85 talk about a western presence, not the FNT-MCO nonstops, which in fact begin soon.

Travis

usairways85

Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:05 am

i am only stating some possiblities from these rumors. who knows what airtran is going to do. they havent added any new cities so far in the month of march, compared to 3 in the month of Feb. so who knows. i would have thought they were going to continue building up bwi, but then by june they will have 4 gates in phl, now there is a rumor that they want to expand westward. i am just getting carried away by the fact that some of these rumors sound to good to be true. in no way am i considering them to be a fact or something that will happen soon.

usairways85

Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:08 am

by the way it appears they just dropped pit-phl

usairways85

Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:11 am

can anyone confirm that phl-pit was dropped. it is not on the route map anymore but is still scheduled

gr8slvrflt

Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:11 am

Here's what I think is in store for the rest of the year:

1. 737s - maybe; 757s - no way
2. New cities - New England, Midwest and East Coast
3. VuelaMex 717s - maybe; AA/TW - doubtful (different cockpits I'm told)
4. Mergers - negative
5. More gates in ATL - not as long as there's a Delta
6. New paintscheme - I started that rumor; why not?
7. Gold sweaters - nah

Like Travis, though, I'll not believe anything until I see it. BTW, it has been my experience that rumors run rampant in every company in every line of business.

travatl

Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:21 am

Actually gates in ATL is something that AirTran is VERY agressive about acquiring....they are just simply not there to be had.

There are currently four gates on D concourse that are not owned, but are leased by the city...currently used by AmWest, Frontier, World, etc..... we want them, they won't give us them.

Doubt new gates will be possible until this new "commuter terminal" is built, and we can gather the rest of C Concourse.

The airline is DESPERATE for new gates at ATL. Hence the BWI operation...I'm surprised we didn't start ICT-BWI.

Travi

AA737-823

Great Silver Geese

Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:48 am

I would like to start a pleasant argument with Great Silver Geese. I don't believe there are ANY cockpit options on 717s. They are all the same.

Randy

flyinryan99

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:07 pm

Here's what the announcement was probably supposed to be about. Found out this morning that AirTran is pulling service from Toledo. Last flight will be April 28th....despite having our best performance of the 18 months of service during this March. There....ya all happy?????????

I certainly ain't

Ry

usairways85

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:13 pm

i doubt that was it, normally the airlines dont publicize their route suspensions very often. when they cut pit-lga they didnt announce it very much. and so far it looks like phl-pit could very well be cut too.

critter

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:36 pm

For the record. There is no difference in the cockpits of the Airtran and TWA aircraft. There may be some software differences but the basic flight deck is the same. Airtran would have to download the software from Honeywell that matches their fleet. That is one of the great advantages of a "Glass" cockpit. The only addition that TWA had that Airtran does not is ACARS. And that is just an option. Airtran currently does not operate an ACARS system. The Interiors are the biggest difference with full galleys on the TWA aircraft.

critter

P.S. Had Airtran switched to the blue pill earlier I may not have left for FedEx.

AA717driver

Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:24 pm

This may get me kicked off the board, but here goes...

Crotchless underwear for AirTran F/A's(female, only)! They are the hardest-partying crews in the business. My hat's off!!!! Big thumbs up TC

Source: one of my FO's used to work there--great stories.
FL450, M.85

travatl

Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:00 am

Although Southwest crews have certainly given us a run for our money, I think AA717driver is right....AirTran crews do definitely enjoy their overnights..... whew...I didn't think I'd survive my early 20s when I first got here.