B-HXB
Topic Author

Security Requirements At AKL

Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:05 pm

I think AKL has gone completely overboard after Sept 11. Sure, heightened security is marvellous and a good idea, but screening checked baggage for certain flights (SQ, TG, MH, UA and NZ/QF American flights) causes huge queues which also restrict movement for other passengers. Putting additional security checks at gates 8 and 10 for all passengers on those flights is just plain stupid. What half-baked airport puts security on 20% of the gates and not on the rest? Add to this the last two flights I saw at gates 8 and 10 were: CX108 to HKG and QF120 to SYD, both which represent virtually no security risk. Please, even Heathrow doesn't put additional security at the gate for some flights and not others.

ZK-NBT

RE: Security Requirements At AKL

Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:02 pm

Well LHR should have more security everywhere look what happened, and I don't see why this is over the top at AKL but all gates should have the same security.

B-HXB
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:47 pm

My point exactly - if you fit additional security onto some gates, you should fit them onto all. I thought AKL was overreacting because taking a look at other major airports worldwide - SYD, HKG, LHR, KUL - none of these make ALL passengers go through security twice on certain flights. I don't object to it in principle - just that it seems very unfair that every time I travel on CX ex-AKL I am subjected to the additional inconvenience of another security check whereas people who travel on say, NZ or KE are subjected to no additional security at all.

jesseycy

Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:53 pm

BNE does....
I was on transit in BNE, and they were begging the passengers (literally) to get to the gate 2 hrs before departure... But that was OK, that flight was going to S'pore/LHR, which makes sense.....

B-HXB
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:58 am

Even in Heathrow, there was the usual cursory check after immigration (although some passengers were picked out to have thier carry on bags examined at the gate). But then, considering Heathrow's recent security problems, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised...