rjmf22
Topic Author
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 pm

United CEO Oscar Munoz states that he will be on the first flight on the MAX when it returns to service. He also states that customers an change their flights for free if they are unwilling to fly on the max

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

Is there going to be a huge backlash when the MAX returns?
United Airlines
 
User avatar
InsideMan
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 10:54 pm

we have not had any similar announcements after any other major aircraft accident or grounding in a very long time if ever.
That should already answer your question what airline CEOs expect...
 
CX747
Posts: 6089
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Good on Munoz.

As for will there be backlash....people vote with their pocket books. Maybe a few in the first few weeks will change but overall no real backlash.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
Antarius
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 10:59 pm

Looks like the Boeing PR machine has finally gotten off their collective backsides. This is a much needed boost for the MAX and getting their big stakeholders behind supporting it is a step in the right direction.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX
 
canyonblue17
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 10:59 pm

In the end it will probably wind up being the safest aircraft in the sky. Some people will remain afraid. Kind of like flying on 9/11 here in the States...flight loads have remained low, even though there is likely stepped up security making it safer to fly.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 pm

I bet there won't be an empty seat on that plane. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some well known Vloggers on board too.
 
rjmf22
Topic Author
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I bet there won't be an empty seat on that plane. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some well known Vloggers on board too.


I was thinking the same..
United Airlines
 
dampfnudel
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 pm

That’s a nice gesture to allow passengers who feel uncomfortable to fly on a 737 MAX to change their flight without any penalties. I think that policy should remain in place for at least a year which will basically be a probationary period for the updated/corrected MAX. I hope AA, WN and the others do the same.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4191
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:29 pm

I respect this, and think it is a smart business decision. I bet they will keep those numbers to decide the fate of that fleet type.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
caljn
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Pardon my naivete but is there not an inherent problem with the new engine placement that was the need for the MCAS in the first place?
Is it something that is a rare event or is the instability always there for the MCAS to adjust?
I flew on a UA 737-9MAX and recall being rather impressed overall...and hope to again without second thought.
Thank you.
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 3062
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Doug Parker was on the NBC nightly network news tonight, and said much the same - if his pilots feel it is safe, he and his family would fly on the MAX.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
N809FR
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:10 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Never had the chance to grab a MAX (or NEO for that matter) flight before the grounding, hoping once they get back in the air to catch one.
 
itisi
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:36 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I bet there won't be an empty seat on that plane. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some well known Vloggers on board too.


Sure you are right. Bloggers seldom use their brains, it's all about those views....
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:43 pm

caljn wrote:
Pardon my naivete but is there not an inherent problem with the new engine placement that was the need for the MCAS in the first place?
Is it something that is a rare event or is the instability always there for the MCAS to adjust?
I flew on a UA 737-9MAX and recall being rather impressed overall...and hope to again without second thought.
Thank you.


I flew on a WN 3M8 last summer and was impressed with that bird. I'd be comfortable flying a MAX when it comes back into service.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 pm

N809FR wrote:
Never had the chance to grab a MAX (or NEO for that matter) flight before the grounding, hoping once they get back in the air to catch one.


The MAX with the GE/Leap engines impressed me when I flew DAL-BNA last summer. The NEO I flew on NK on LAS-DFW, not so much. The inside of the NEO wasn't bad (yeah, I know, it's NK, but, still it was a chance to fly an (at the time) relatively new bird), but the loud engines kinda curbed my enthusiasm for the A20N a little bit.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6643
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 pm

N809FR wrote:
Never had the chance to grab a MAX (or NEO for that matter) flight before the grounding, hoping once they get back in the air to catch one.

I flew on a WN MAX. I really enjoyed it. It was like a 737 and a 787 had a baby in terms of comfort, especially noise levels. I slept soundly the whole flight.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7201
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:56 pm

I would fly on the first MAX flight......Paid or non-rev.
 
Antarius
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Wed May 22, 2019 11:58 pm

caljn wrote:
Pardon my naivete but is there not an inherent problem with the new engine placement that was the need for the MCAS in the first place?
Is it something that is a rare event or is the instability always there for the MCAS to adjust?
I flew on a UA 737-9MAX and recall being rather impressed overall...and hope to again without second thought.
Thank you.


The engine placement led to needing MCAS, yes. The issue was that MCAS was based on a single AoA sensor, which is in hindsight (and should have been foresight), a profoundly stupid decision.

The fix is towards updating the MCAS system to use both AoA sensors and return control to the pilots in the event of a disagreement (at a high level)
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX
 
airboss787
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 am

Good on him. I respect his decision and the fact that he seems to be aware of the emotions around the aircraft. I am pretty sure it'll be an extremely safe aircraft once it starts flying again. I would fly on it whenever I get a chance.
Star Alliance Gold
 
n562wn
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm

UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 am

Antarius wrote:
caljn wrote:
Pardon my naivete but is there not an inherent problem with the new engine placement that was the need for the MCAS in the first place?
Is it something that is a rare event or is the instability always there for the MCAS to adjust?
I flew on a UA 737-9MAX and recall being rather impressed overall...and hope to again without second thought.
Thank you.


The engine placement led to needing MCAS, yes. The issue was that MCAS was based on a single AoA sensor, which is in hindsight (and should have been foresight), a profoundly stupid decision.

The fix is towards updating the MCAS system to use both AoA sensors and return control to the pilots in the event of a disagreement (at a high level)


This is the most succinct and non emotional summation on the topic of the Max that I've seen on this site.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 am

I have a lot of respect for Munoz. Flying on a MAX is safe after the software update so his life isn't actually in any danger, but I like that he's willing to make the gesture to concerned pax. You won't see any other airline CEO do this to reassure their pax.
 
rgustafson
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:26 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:55 am

rjmf22 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
I bet there won't be an empty seat on that plane. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some well known Vloggers on board too.


I was thinking the same..


Sign me up. I'd be happy to fly on it. I wonder if United will make a big deal out of the flight or try to slip it in under the radar. Probably the later but we'll see.
RGTWA
 
FLALEFTY
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 am

Right after the DC-10 had returned to service after being grounded I had to make a business trip to LA. I booked a National Airlines/Pan Am flight that went from MCO to IAH then on to LAX. This was one of those trips where I got to take my wife with me so we could take in the sights in SoCal after my business meetings were over. I knew we would be flying the DC-10 out and back when I booked the flight, but we were unconcerned.

The trip out from MCO had exactly 12 passengers (including us) to IAH. We picked up another 20 passengers on the IAH to LAX leg. The trip back had 60 passengers to IAH and 40 to MCO. But all of the flights were outstanding - It was like flying on our own private luxury airliner!

So if you want to have some really comfortable flying, book the 737MAX right after it is again declared airworthy.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3583
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 2:15 am

Moose135 wrote:
Doug Parker was on the NBC nightly network news tonight, and said much the same - if his pilots feel it is safe, he and his family would fly on the MAX.


The airplane was in service for over a year and he never flew on it. I think even he knows how sorry the hard product is on his MAXes.
 
EChid
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 2:20 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
In the end it will probably wind up being the safest aircraft in the sky.

Statistically, I don't believe it's possible for the MAX to be the safest plane in the sky at this point. At least not for many, many, many, many, years and many many more sales. In fact, it'll be a while before it can be considered safer than the NG.

But it will be fine, and safe enough.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 3:16 am

This is exactly what should be done. Nice to see Munoz out in front here. Give comfort and flexibility for as long as it takes, and eventually it will pass.
 
canyonblue17
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 am

EChid wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:
In the end it will probably wind up being the safest aircraft in the sky.

Statistically, I don't believe it's possible for the MAX to be the safest plane in the sky at this point. At least not for many, many, many, many, years and many many more sales. In fact, it'll be a while before it can be considered safer than the NG.

But it will be fine, and safe enough.


The 737 - in all its forms - has proven to be around for many, many, many, many years (including those with rudder issues). And as far as sales goes...thousands to come.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
User avatar
itripreport
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 5:00 am

Well, more upgrades for me
 
speedbird52
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 5:23 am

rjmf22 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
I bet there won't be an empty seat on that plane. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some well known Vloggers on board too.


I was thinking the same..

Oh God I can see it now:

"ALMOST DIED IN PLANE CRASH!!!!????"

"Worlds most dangerous airplane"

"UNITED PUT US IN DEADLY 737 WITHOUT TELLING US!!??? (Gone sexual)"
 
speedbird52
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 5:34 am

There hasn't been an airplane with as bad an omen attached to it as the 737 MAX. I sincerely hope that Boeing have indeed fixed the problem. I don't think anyone wants the 737 MAX to fail, and if you do, you are delusional. Boeing have invested too much into this airplane to just throw it away. If they did it might have been the end of Boeing frankly. This was a crash caused at least partially by a software issue, so despite what the naysayers say a software fix is almost guaranteed to fix the problem, as long as Boeing don't repeat their biggest mistake in this whole mess: Their dangerous lack of communication. Most importantly, I hope the industry takes valuable lessons from this whole mess and doesn't repeat itself, so 346 people didn't have to die in vain. I am religious: For me the right thing to do feels like offering a prayer asking God to ensure the rest of this aircraft's legacy isn't marred with tragedy like the start.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 am

n562wn wrote:
Antarius wrote:
caljn wrote:
Pardon my naivete but is there not an inherent problem with the new engine placement that was the need for the MCAS in the first place?
Is it something that is a rare event or is the instability always there for the MCAS to adjust?
I flew on a UA 737-9MAX and recall being rather impressed overall...and hope to again without second thought.
Thank you.


The engine placement led to needing MCAS, yes. The issue was that MCAS was based on a single AoA sensor, which is in hindsight (and should have been foresight), a profoundly stupid decision.

The fix is towards updating the MCAS system to use both AoA sensors and return control to the pilots in the event of a disagreement (at a high level)


This is the most succinct and non emotional summation on the topic of the Max that I've seen on this site.

I should also add that to my knowledge a lot of aircraft use computers to compensate for aerodynamic instabilities. Isn't the A340 one of them? I believe the MD11 used fuel transfer to keep the aircraft balanced during cruise.
 
User avatar
BlueSky1976
Posts: 1870
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:18 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 am

I'll still avoid 737 MAX like a plague, until the aircraft is proven safe.
Screw boeing PR.
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.
 
EChid
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
EChid wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:
In the end it will probably wind up being the safest aircraft in the sky.

Statistically, I don't believe it's possible for the MAX to be the safest plane in the sky at this point. At least not for many, many, many, many, years and many many more sales. In fact, it'll be a while before it can be considered safer than the NG.

But it will be fine, and safe enough.


The 737 - in all its forms - has proven to be around for many, many, many, many years (including those with rudder issues). And as far as sales goes...thousands to come.

Not arguing that it's not proven (although the MAX isn't - yet), but it's not the safest plane in the sky. That honour goes to the likes of the 777, A380, etc.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:00 am

BlueSky1976 wrote:
I'll still avoid 737 MAX like a plague, until the aircraft is proven safe.
Screw boeing PR.


Why did you feel the need to opine? Your signature already states that you will never fly on a Boeing. So everyone already knows your feelings about the Max.
Last edited by TTailedTiger on Thu May 23, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
pugman211
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:00 am

The best way to restore public image/safety on the max is for Boeing and even a few airlines to do a live feed of the flight. Once the public see how normal and relaxed the flight was, bingo. It will be a non event
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 am

pugman211 wrote:
The best way to restore public image/safety on the max is for Boeing and even a few airlines to do a live feed of the flight. Once the public see how normal and relaxed the flight was, bingo. It will be a non event


Maybe it's time to do another barrel roll like the 707 at the Paris Airshow. Not only would it show just how robust the 737 is but it's a maneuver Airbus can't pull off since their aircraft limit the pilot inputs. It would definitely give them a boost in the media.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5414
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:06 am

speedbird52 wrote:
There hasn't been an airplane with as bad an omen attached to it as the 737 MAX. I sincerely hope that Boeing have indeed fixed the problem. I don't think anyone wants the 737 MAX to fail, and if you do, you are delusional. Boeing have invested too much into this airplane to just throw it away. If they did it might have been the end of Boeing frankly. This was a crash caused at least partially by a software issue, so despite what the naysayers say a software fix is almost guaranteed to fix the problem, as long as Boeing don't repeat their biggest mistake in this whole mess: Their dangerous lack of communication. Most importantly, I hope the industry takes valuable lessons from this whole mess and doesn't repeat itself, so 346 people didn't have to die in vain. I am religious: For me the right thing to do feels like offering a prayer asking God to ensure the rest of this aircraft's legacy isn't marred with tragedy like the start.


I don't know how old you are & I'll assume you may not remember the DC-10's with GE engines, AA 191 IIRC. I remember as a kid, getting mailed to me a huge PR packet from Douglas about the DC-10 & it's safety after the crash. I remember flying on a NW DC-10 during the grounding as they had PW engines & were not grounded, many people on our short hop to Seattle from Portland were speaking of it.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BM BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
yabeweb
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:21 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
pugman211 wrote:
The best way to restore public image/safety on the max is for Boeing and even a few airlines to do a live feed of the flight. Once the public see how normal and relaxed the flight was, bingo. It will be a non event


Maybe it's time to do another barrel roll like the 707 at the Paris Airshow. Not only would it show just how robust the 737 is but it's a maneuver Airbus can't pull off since their aircraft limit the pilot inputs. It would definitely give them a boost in the media.

Considering how Airbus (in a smart way i should add) did not take advantage of the situation, it would not be smart to antagonize them.

After all Airbus limit input but never made a plane that crashes on its own...
 
AirwayBill
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:37 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 am

Ever seen the guys of the food industry organizing PR tours of their factories for journalists after a worldwide hygiene scandal?

Well, this is it, but aviation style. Show your pretty smiles and happy faces for the camera! Nothing to see here!
 
oslmgm
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
BlueSky1976 wrote:
I'll still avoid 737 MAX like a plague, until the aircraft is proven safe.
Screw boeing PR.


Why did you feel the need to opine? Your signature already states that you will never fly on a Boeing. So everyone already knows your feelings about the Max.

We wouldn't see his signature if he didn't post anything.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 9:32 am

RWA380 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
There hasn't been an airplane with as bad an omen attached to it as the 737 MAX. I sincerely hope that Boeing have indeed fixed the problem. I don't think anyone wants the 737 MAX to fail, and if you do, you are delusional. Boeing have invested too much into this airplane to just throw it away. If they did it might have been the end of Boeing frankly. This was a crash caused at least partially by a software issue, so despite what the naysayers say a software fix is almost guaranteed to fix the problem, as long as Boeing don't repeat their biggest mistake in this whole mess: Their dangerous lack of communication. Most importantly, I hope the industry takes valuable lessons from this whole mess and doesn't repeat itself, so 346 people didn't have to die in vain. I am religious: For me the right thing to do feels like offering a prayer asking God to ensure the rest of this aircraft's legacy isn't marred with tragedy like the start.


I don't know how old you are & I'll assume you may not remember the DC-10's with GE engines, AA 191 IIRC. I remember as a kid, getting mailed to me a huge PR packet from Douglas about the DC-10 & it's safety after the crash. I remember flying on a NW DC-10 during the grounding as they had PW engines & were not grounded, many people on our short hop to Seattle from Portland were speaking of it.


I was wondering about the various high publicity crashes over the years and what the public perception of each aircraft was after return to service ? Even the De Havilland Comet came back and had a considerable service life after those terrible mid-air disasters. I presume as long as the Max fix is a good one that the public will have largely forgotten all about these incidents in years to come. Of course scrutiny will be high and you can see the name 'Max' being mentioned in every media report whenever a regular divert or maintenance related issue comes up.
 
picarus
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:51 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 10:26 am

RWA380 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
There hasn't been an airplane with as bad an omen attached to it as the 737 MAX. I sincerely hope that Boeing have indeed fixed the problem. I don't think anyone wants the 737 MAX to fail, and if you do, you are delusional. Boeing have invested too much into this airplane to just throw it away. If they did it might have been the end of Boeing frankly. This was a crash caused at least partially by a software issue, so despite what the naysayers say a software fix is almost guaranteed to fix the problem, as long as Boeing don't repeat their biggest mistake in this whole mess: Their dangerous lack of communication. Most importantly, I hope the industry takes valuable lessons from this whole mess and doesn't repeat itself, so 346 people didn't have to die in vain. I am religious: For me the right thing to do feels like offering a prayer asking God to ensure the rest of this aircraft's legacy isn't marred with tragedy like the start.


I don't know how old you are & I'll assume you may not remember the DC-10's with GE engines, AA 191 IIRC. I remember as a kid, getting mailed to me a huge PR packet from Douglas about the DC-10 & it's safety after the crash. I remember flying on a NW DC-10 during the grounding as they had PW engines & were not grounded, many people on our short hop to Seattle from Portland were speaking of it.


Sorry RWA, but I do not believe that is accurate. The DC-10 type certificate was suspended, so no DC-10s of any variant were not allowed to fly within the U.S. airspace or its territories--over 130 frames at the time. On another note, I remember TWA proclaiming it did not have DC-10s in its fleet, which generated a lot of criticism from its peers and industry observers for trying to capitalize on the tragedy.

Most people will forget the 737 Max accidents over time, just like they did with the DC-10 and its troubled history.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5004
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 am

Well, there was the Barclay's survey, and right after that there was the Reuters/Ipsos survey that suggested plane model mattered little among top consumer purchase decision criteria.

In the public opinion poll released May 15, only about half of U.S. adults say they are familiar with the airplane crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia that together killed 346 people, and only 43% could identify the Boeing 737 MAX as the aircraft involved.

Most importantly for Boeing in the wake of the crashes, only 3% said that aircraft maker or model number was most important to them when buying a plane ticket. In contrast, 57% said ticket price was most important. The poll has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 3 percentage points.


https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethi ... SKCN1SL12D

IME, most people on-board can't tell the aircraft model without looking at the safety card, and very, very few can tell aircraft age (they get fooled by a new interior or amenities in an old plane). AA/UA/WN pilots won't fly them if they don't feel safe, whatever the multiple criteria (new MCAS software/FAA approval/sim training?) may be.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm

BlueSky1976 wrote:
I'll still avoid 737 MAX like a plague, until the aircraft is proven safe.
Screw boeing PR.


Well since you aren't a test pilot, you will not be given the opportunity to fly the 737 Max before it gets recertified by the FAA, JAA, and aviation regulatory agencies all over the world.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Well, there was the Barclay's survey, and right after that there was the Reuters/Ipsos survey that suggested plane model mattered little among top consumer purchase decision criteria.

In the public opinion poll released May 15, only about half of U.S. adults say they are familiar with the airplane crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia that together killed 346 people, and only 43% could identify the Boeing 737 MAX as the aircraft involved.

Most importantly for Boeing in the wake of the crashes, only 3% said that aircraft maker or model number was most important to them when buying a plane ticket. In contrast, 57% said ticket price was most important. The poll has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 3 percentage points.


https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethi ... SKCN1SL12D

IME, most people on-board can't tell the aircraft model without looking at the safety card, and very, very few can tell aircraft age (they get fooled by a new interior or amenities in an old plane). AA/UA/WN pilots won't fly them if they don't feel safe, whatever the multiple criteria (new MCAS software/FAA approval/sim training?) may be.


Sometimes they can't tell even if they are reading the safety card. WN has the same card for both the 737-800 and the 737-8 MAX.
 
Planes4you
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Right after the DC-10 had returned to service after being grounded I had to make a business trip to LA. I booked a National Airlines/Pan Am flight that went from MCO to IAH then on to LAX. This was one of those trips where I got to take my wife with me so we could take in the sights in SoCal after my business meetings were over. I knew we would be flying the DC-10 out and back when I booked the flight, but we were unconcerned.

The trip out from MCO had exactly 12 passengers (including us) to IAH. We picked up another 20 passengers on the IAH to LAX leg. The trip back had 60 passengers to IAH and 40 to MCO. But all of the flights were outstanding - It was like flying on our own private luxury airliner!

So if you want to have some really comfortable flying, book the 737MAX right after it is again declared airworthy.



The American 737max is far from luxury
 
JFKCMILAXFLL
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:43 pm

picarus wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
There hasn't been an airplane with as bad an omen attached to it as the 737 MAX. I sincerely hope that Boeing have indeed fixed the problem. I don't think anyone wants the 737 MAX to fail, and if you do, you are delusional. Boeing have invested too much into this airplane to just throw it away. If they did it might have been the end of Boeing frankly. This was a crash caused at least partially by a software issue, so despite what the naysayers say a software fix is almost guaranteed to fix the problem, as long as Boeing don't repeat their biggest mistake in this whole mess: Their dangerous lack of communication. Most importantly, I hope the industry takes valuable lessons from this whole mess and doesn't repeat itself, so 346 people didn't have to die in vain. I am religious: For me the right thing to do feels like offering a prayer asking God to ensure the rest of this aircraft's legacy isn't marred with tragedy like the start.


I don't know how old you are & I'll assume you may not remember the DC-10's with GE engines, AA 191 IIRC. I remember as a kid, getting mailed to me a huge PR packet from Douglas about the DC-10 & it's safety after the crash. I remember flying on a NW DC-10 during the grounding as they had PW engines & were not grounded, many people on our short hop to Seattle from Portland were speaking of it.


Sorry RWA, but I do not believe that is accurate. The DC-10 type certificate was suspended, so no DC-10s of any variant were not allowed to fly within the U.S. airspace or its territories--over 130 frames at the time. On another note, I remember TWA proclaiming it did not have DC-10s in its fleet, which generated a lot of criticism from its peers and industry observers for trying to capitalize on the tragedy.

Most people will forget the 737 Max accidents over time, just like they did with the DC-10 and its troubled history.


I remember those TWA ads. Basically saying something like "we fly the widebodies you like" and showing footage of their 747s and L-1011s. Back then (1979), the widebodies pretty much consisted of the 747, L-1011 and DC-10 (the A-300 was just getting started with Eastern, so it really wasn't well known in the US at least), so the implication was pretty clear. Classless on the part of TWA? Perhaps, but in marketing, pretty much anything goes. Also, recall that AA 191 wasn't the first high-profile crash of a DC-10. There was THY 981 in Paris 5 years earlier, and that crash was due to a defect in the design of the cargo door, unlike the engine mount issues, which wasn't really the DC-10's fault, but a maintenance issue.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1294
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:50 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
I don't think anyone wants the 737 MAX to fail....

There are plenty right here at a.net. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that a few of the more deranged ones, in the dark recesses of their minds actually want another accident. Maybe they are just trolls but some of them have lost the plot.

---------------

BlueSky1976 wrote:
I'll still avoid 737 MAX like a plague, until the aircraft is proven safe.
Screw boeing PR.

Define "proven safe". :roll:

speedbird52 wrote:
....and if you do, you are delusional.

Well put.

After the MAX re-enters service, there will be at most a week of coverage in the mainstream media. At most. After that it will be forgotten by 99.9% of the masses. A new royal baby? Kim wore what??
 
Redwood839
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:55 pm

They should put a special decal on the side "FIRST TO FLY (AGAIN) MAX8"
 
User avatar
BlueSky1976
Posts: 1870
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:18 am

Re: UA's Munoz: Will be on first 737 MAX flight, willing to change flights for customers

Thu May 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Bricktop wrote:
[Define "proven safe". :roll:


No MCAS - related disaster for at least 5 years since service re-entry.
I value my precious life, actually.

And yes, I WILL go out of my way to avoid 737 MAX until then.
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos