jabpilot

Aviation Scanner In Baggage?

Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:20 am

Since 9/11, have aviation scanners been banned from being carried on in luggage? I usually bring mine with me to listen to at the hotel while staying near an airport on vacation.

Thanks for any help, Jeff

APP

RE: Aviation Scanner In Baggage?

Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:53 am

I carried mine in my handluggage MAN-SFB-MAN at the beginning of this month with no problem.
APP.

N400QX

Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:12 am

Naw, you shouldn't have a problem-- at the very most they will probably have you take it out and check it out. I'll be flying in a couple weeks and I'll see how it goes for me and my radio.

Rick767

Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:28 am

Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure there are batteries in it as you may be asked to show that it works by security.

Remember the risk though, in many countries (including the UK) Airband scanners are illegal. Of course, no-one has ever been prosecuted for use of an airband scanner (in the UK), as is evident by the hundreds used at Airports by enthusiasts every day, but that doesn't change the fact it is illegal.

If you are going abroad I recommend you check out the regs of the destination country beforehand, as they might confiscate the scanner.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...