FrequentFlier

World's Worst Airports

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:02 am

Just wondering what everyone thinks are the world's worst airport and/or the USA's worst airport in terms of:
-Delays
-Conditions (Weather, Terminal)
-Accessibility
-Services
-Shopping/Eating
-Destinations Served

My personal choices are:
In the US, San Juan for it's third-world style terminals (almost no chairs), awful food, and lack of atmosphere.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

The worst airport in the world that I've actually been to is Madrid-Barajas. MAD is dark, dirty, and completely uninviting.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Peter Unmuth - Vienna Aviation Photography

OzarkD9S

RE: World's Worst Airports

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:07 am

The old terminal at DCA was always a nightmare (IMHO).
MDW was a dump, but the new terminal is great, can't wait for the new concourses to be finished. STL (my home airport) needs a major overhaul, only the newer East Terminal (home of WN) is nice.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Hurricane

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:09 am

I agree, last time I was at STL it was in pretty bad shape. DTW was also horrible last time I was there, especially the International terminal. Granted, that was before the new terminal opened...

America West

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:13 am

I agree, MDW was horrible back in the early 1990's. STL wasn't one of my favorites.

America West

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:14 am

Delays ~~~> LGA!!

I LOVE EWR

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:17 am

LGA!!!!!!! The runways are to short and if the weather is bad forget it.

Tbird

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:17 am

Greetings:

Well as for delays LGA. I was reading an article that the DOT and FAA are once again looking at ways to decrease congestion at LGA. Overall LGA isn't that great anyway. Miami and New Orleans aren't that great either. Miami has no shops or good bars in the many of the gate areas and New Orleans is dark and depressing.

Thanx
Tom

trickijedi

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:20 am

In the U.S. its DTW (before the new terminals).

Outside the U.S. its MNL. That place can be a madhouse! Especially for domestic flights.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

FrequentFlier

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:28 am

LGA is fine (except for delays).

The US Airways terminal is very, very nice, and the newly redone Central Terminal is a great place to depart from (good shopping and Figs restaurant-quite tasty!)

roguetrader

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:58 am

LGA is the worst in the US for crowding and delays. Friday afternoon about 5/6pm & bad weather: its fun to watch everyone getting all pissed off at the airlines and its nice wondering if you're plane is going to slide off the short runways or not.

JFK is a true nightmare if you have to change terminals. A galaxy of fantastic new smells can be found on that inter-terminal transfer bus, if you can find the bus.

CDG is also very bad for connections IMO. They have no sense of order, no lines, no nothing. Its just a free for all. (Another problem: numerous French people here)

The shopping at LGW (South terminal) is the most impressive I've seen.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

prosa

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:10 am

JFK is a true nightmare if you have to change terminals. A galaxy of fantastic new smells can be found on that inter-terminal transfer bus, if you can find the bus.

Very true, but that will change once AirTrain is running.

"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

ThirtyEcho

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:23 am

Austin (KAUS) is a shrine to Yuppiedom and a bad parody of everything that Austin used to be but isn't, anymore. It is Boosterism run wild; what a hole. They did everything wrong.

GD727

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:35 am

Anyone here ever seen Terminal D at BOS? It resembles a NYC subway station restroom!

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

Setjet

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:55 am

I can only agree: Top of my list is JFK in regards of accessability and appearance!
it seems like every airline did their own business without even noticing their neighbours (hello Port Authority, where were you during construction???). Virtually no pedestrian connections (!) between the terminals, lousy bus connection between terminals, miles of road to travel to get from Terminal 4 to let's say Terminal 5, very poor public transportation access, dirty, noisy, ugly.
Best of all is the monopolist bus connection between the city (Central Station) and JFK: Old buses, no real timetable, 13$ + tip (!) fare to the airport.
They should take a look at other airports, e.g. Munich: S-Train connection every ten minutes, brand new Lufthansa Airport Buses with reclining seats and free (!) drinks every twenty minutes that get you to the airport for less than 7$! That's what I call SERVICE!

IMissPiedmont

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:56 am

JFK is a true nightmare if you don't have to change terminals. I have to temper this statement by saying that I haven't had the displeasure of being there since December 1991. It was such a bad experience then that I have avoided it since.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

FrequentFlier

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:59 am

JFK's not as bad as you make it sound.

First of all, three massive projects are currently taking place:
1) Air Train: Connections to LIRR (commuter rail) and subway as well as interterminal (solves your problem).
2) New AA Terminal: AA is due for a new terminal. Their joint terminals 8 and 9 are awful places that are soon to be demolished!
3) New jetBlue Terminal (rumor): While jetBlue is currently renovating its terminal 6, rumors are abound that it will build a new terminal 5 (former TWA).

Besides all of these projects, two new international terminals have been build in recent years, as well as a new tower. Trust me, if you're looking for traffic, you'll find it at LGA.

JFK=Best NY Airport

Setjet

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:00 pm

I can't stress this enough!

JFK is the WORST big airport I know.  Pissed

Correct me if there's anything worse...

FrequentFlier

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:07 pm

How about BOS? DTW? LAX? DFW? IAH? IAD?

JFK may be no LHR, but it surely isn't the worst airport in the country.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:12 pm

Funny because I remember IAD as one of the nicest airports in the US. Of course I have to temper this also with the fact that I haven't been there since June 1986.
I just have fond memories of IAD in June 1972 when it was a sleepy airport WAY out in the middle of nothing.
Of course I also have very fond memories of JFK in the early 70s.

Worst airport of today? That's about like asking what hurts worse, a headache or a stubbed toe. None of the major airports are pleasant anymore.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

KAUSpilot

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:14 pm

How could you mention Austin?

The terminal is futuristic (in an industrial sort of way), spacious, and has unique Austin-Based vendors.

True, Austin itself has sort of sold out to urban sprawl but that cannot be helped when you have a massive influx of industry and people like the one Austin had in the last decade. The highway traffic problems in this city are horrid, but all in all, I think Austin is a nice place to live because there's always something going on here.

From a pilot's standpoint, the design is well laid out with two paralell runways with the terminal in the middle.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/austinairport/nr3_25_02.htm

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES NAMES AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT "STATION OF THE YEAR" FOR 2001

Austin, TX — Southwest Airlines recently recognized its operations at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport as being the best of its 59-airport system for 2001.

"Austin showed us how it was done 2001" said Matt Buckley, Southwest's senior director of ground operations. "Considering the new environment of air travel, the outstanding Austin Employees met each new challenge with flexibility and patience keeping the Austin travelers informed and on-time."

Austin was named Southwest's station of the year based on a combined criteria including the highest percentage of compliments from Customers, fewest Customer complaints, best worker productivity, and best performance overall in Customer Service, ramp services, and operations.

N757ST

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:19 pm

After traveling through it many a time, terminal one at BDL is just aweful. Once the new terminal is done and they finally get some work into renevating term 1, maybe I will change my mind, but right now unless you plan on depating through terminal 2, bradley is pretty dissapointing.

roguetrader

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:20 pm

The biggest thing at JFK that used to disgust me was that huge toilet bowl called the [old] International Arrivals Building.

This is what millions of people got as their first impression of the USA! I would have rather just waited or arrived using a tent as opposed to that thing.

Anyway, its gone now. And, the reason why we can complain about JFK is because it was a big airport way before any place else was and had to live with its outdated buildings for years...On the other hand, Heathrow seems to manage pretty well with their aging infrasructure.

Something seriously needs to be done about the whole NYC airport scene. The new trains and stuff are good, but only a drop in the bucket.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

cch362

Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:44 pm

delays: SFO for sure. If there is rain, fog, or just low clouds one of the parallel runways is shut down. And this happens a lot.

AerLingus

Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:53 pm

The world's worst airport is NOT in the United States.
The worst in the world is EL AEROPUERTO INTERNACIONAL DEL CIUDAD DE MEXICO!
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Setjet

Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:04 pm

Something else about JFK:

When will they manage to set up a really reliable train connection from Manhattan to JFK (I am not talking about the "thirty-stop-A-Train-long-term-parking-bus-connection-transfer" thing which is unreliable as anything...)?

You can't tell me there is no demand from 7+million people to have a fast and reliable connection to the city!

Frequentflyer:
Maybe they have some nice terminals out there at JFK, but what about the idea of ONE airport and not every airline doing there own business?
And, we are talking about the worst airport NOW, all the construction right now makes the situation even worse...

I think JFK is pretty embarrasing for a city like New York!

afitch7881

Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:19 pm

BDL does not have terminal 1 and terminal 2. The terminals are called Terminals A and B.

Terminal A was complete in 1990 and offers 10 gates. This terminal is going to be expanded to 12 gates in 2003. Right now there is a extension going onto terminal A to add a additional concourse with 12 new gates, this should make BDL a very nice airport.

Terminal B is old, very old and hasnt been updadated in years, I am sure this is the terminal you are refering to. It was built in the 1950's and most of it wont be used once the new concourse to terminal A is finished.

BDL is also constructing a new International terminal with 2 gates.

jsf119

Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:28 pm

BDL is a great airport even though terminal B is a little old its still set up nice. its one of the best airports to watch planes takeoff and land from that i have been too. what the hell is so disappointing about it?

a/c dxer

Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:45 pm

TEB any aiport that think they control noise by the weight of a airplane is just retarded.

JetRanger2000

Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:54 pm

I know I might get bashed for this one. When my flight from ALB to RSW made its refueling stop in CVG, the flight was cancelled due to engine problem (I was wondering why the engines sounded a bit odd), i was given 30-dollars in food vochers from Delta. I was hoping to have my lunch at a sit-down resturunt, but i found out CVG DOES NOT HAVE ANY SITDOWN RESTURUNTS! So I spent my lunch at some smoke-filled bar that had counter service.

shaun3000

Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:44 pm

STL sucks. I am going to school in St. Louis (SLU) and have to put up with STL when I go home for breaks. It's not so bad going out as it is coming back in! On average it takes 45 minutes to get my bags at the baggage claim. Not due to long lines or anything. It just takes 45 minutes for them to get the bags off the plane and to the baggage claim... why? I don't know.

At DFW (my favorite airport. Not that I'm bias or anything... I mean, I only LIVE there...) it only takes them 10 minutes to get bags from the plane to the baggage claim!

AOMlover

Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:51 pm

"CDG is also very bad for connections IMO. They have no sense of order, no lines, no nothing. Its just a free for all."
Maybe, but no, it's not just a "free for all".

"Another problem: numerous French people here"

What do you mean ??????????
Please keep it for you, OK ? This is an international forum so don't say such stupid things. Anyway your not welcomed in France if you have such thoughts.
How can people be so stupid ? I can't believe you are 26-35. I stop talking now because I thyink I could insult you but I don't want to be as imbecile as you are.
SHAME ON YOU !!!!!!!

I REALLY hope you were joking.

Prinair

Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:15 pm

I happen to think that SJU (San Juan) is a nice airport.

I wonder if this kid ever left the AA terminal?
PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines

lutfi

Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:18 pm

Shivaji airport, Mumbai.

JFK a close second.

RickB

Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:08 pm

CDG gets my vote - I agree with the free for all sentiment too - only place I have ever been where pushing past you in the queue is mandatory !!!

All of my top ten worst experiences of an airport take place in CDG and I've flown to some rough airports in my time !!

paulc

Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:08 pm

Would have to say i agree with the comments made about CDG - it is a very confusing airport and the staff are not the most helpful.

Moscow SVO(T2) is also grim - originally built for the 1980 olympic games - i doubt anything has been done to it since - dark interior, crowded, long queues for check in, immigration and customs. Took me from arrival at check in to getting airside approx 3 hours - very poor compared to most other airports
English First, British Second, european Never!

Rickster

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:29 pm

LHR - still somehow confusing to me

JFK - while it was easy to connect from OS to DL it is a nightmare to connect from OS to UA (well ok JFK is not a hub for UA).

Luxor/Egypt - a very very special place ....

Krushny

Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:40 pm

I vote for the charter terminal in ATH. No shops, no restaurants, not even anyone on the counters ... It was that way in 1994, not sure if it has improved since.

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:15 pm

JFK get's my vote. There's construction work everywhere you look, it's crowded and generally it's very dull, nothing to shout about.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

prosa

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:33 pm

JFK's not as bad as you make it sound.
First of all, three massive projects are currently taking place:
1) Air Train: Connections to LIRR (commuter rail) and subway as well as interterminal (solves your problem).
2) New AA Terminal: AA is due for a new terminal. Their joint terminals 8 and 9 are awful places that are soon to be demolished!
3) New jetBlue Terminal (rumor): While jetBlue is currently renovating its terminal 6, rumors are abound that it will build a new terminal 5 (former TWA).

Just as a cautionary note, we probably shouldn't take the completion of the AA terminal as a given. It still is possible that AA will cancel the project given the way it keeps cutting service at JFK in the wake of September 11th. While this is relatively unlikely, if for no other reason than the fact that AA already sunk so much money into the project, it cannot be ruled out. Remember that DL cancelled its new terminal project right after September 11th, although unlike AA it hadn't actually begun work.
AirTrain probably would have been cancelled after September 11th except for the fact that the Port Authority (which suffered greatly in the attacks) decided to make a "statement" of sorts by reaffirming its commitment to the project.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

dstc47

RE: Dublin Heading For The Top Here

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:43 pm

Dirty, uncared for, long lines, mysterious maze like walks on arrival. Inadequate facilities at INS pre clearance. Continual building but little obvious improvement. Shortage of gates, baggage waits.

Some flights check in at one end of terminal, depart from the other (e.g. Cityflyer) for no good reason

And no rail access to downtown and major construction work on the road to the city too.

Cead Mile failte indeed

JAL

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:50 pm

Montreal's Dorval
Work Hard But Play Harder

eugdog

Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:05 am

JfK may be crap now but soon it will be a gleaming airport with terrific connenctions into the city with its airtran service

jaysit

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:21 am

Mumbai's International Airport - the aviation armpit of the universe.

DFW in the US - what a dump.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

danialanwar

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:56 am

Mumbai (Bombay) International ... by far.
Best Business Class: Royal Brunei. Best Economy: Singapore Airlines. First: please send money first!

mehtabrahman

Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:24 am

Most definitely....

Karachi International

No better than a toil*t bowl (I mean it!) Embarrassment

FrequentFlier

Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:27 am

Defending JFK once more...

Anyone who thinks that construction makes an airport a dull place needs to seriously think outside of the box.

Construction=Improvements.

So, while it may be a drag for all those just visiting NYC, for us dedicated JFK users, construction is good.

Just one more thing-construction on the AA terminal has actually begun.

brains

Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:14 am

someone mentioned terminal D at BOS. I am going to have to agree with whoever that individual is...it is quite depressing...small, old...well, just generally poor. On a different (opposite) not...I made my first visit to BWI since 1984 a week ago last thursday and was thoroughly impressed with the place. Its quite attractive, easy to get around in and modern. I'll be heading back again soon...April 11. My lovely girlfriend is finishing college in Baltimore, and it just so happens to be cheaper to fly than take a bus or train to visit her. A small bonus when visiting...I hate roads...give me sky.
Brains

Setjet

Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:27 pm

Throwing some dirt onto JFK once more...

Although it's a nice fact that they try to improve JFK, but the single fact that they HAVE to improve something speaks for itself.
Somebody mentioned that there is construction everywhere = they have to improve everything!!!

And, I cannot recall a visit to JFK in the last couple of years where there was not some sort of major construction.

Right now and for at least the last ten years JFK was and is a mess and really deserves the title "Worst Airport".

Let's hope for the best, they can only improve JFK!

N757ST

Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:37 pm

Although Bdl is great for sitting and spotting on the end of runway 6, terminal b is still a crap hole. I will admit, in the last couple of years, especially when the new garage was completed, bradley has gotten better. Bradley will be a first class regional airport soon, once terminal a is fully completed with the new annex, but anyone flying delta,southwest, or american will tell you the bradley is not the greatest of places to depart. If however you are departing on united, usair, or continental, the place is great, light, very clean, and modern.

Don't get me wrong, I have flown out of BDL many times, and will fly out of there over PVD, LGA, and JFK any day, but the facilities could really use some work. In another 5 years, I am sure that the entire situation will change, but until then, it is not that nice.

BTW, I prey that delta relocates to the new annex of terminal A.

Setjet

Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:41 pm

No praying please,
God has more important stuff to do than relocating Delta to a new terminal...  Innocent