Lekky-Man
Topic Author

Spotting In The US - Info Pls...

Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:57 pm

Can anyone tell me please what the state of play is regarding spotters in the US these days?
I'm off to Florida in about 10 days and I've just been thinking maybe I should phone handling agents at MCO, or TPA as these are the places I'll be.
How do the security guys 'deal' with spotters in general and has anyone else been spotting in the US since 9/11?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
LM

ual777contrail

RE: Spotting In The US - Info Pls...

Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:15 am

i dont know if others have tried but, i was trying to spot at o'hare one day. a buddy of mine and i went to the parking garage of the o'hare hilton and security was tight. this was in late dec. the guy asked if i had a car parked up here. i told him i just wanted to see the planes land and he moved us along. cant stop and look anymore he said. what a trip, all i wanted for christmas was a picture of a 747.so things may be tight elsewhere.

roguetrader

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:50 am

My uncle took me snooping around MCO over Christmas. It was no problem. A few security people came by and looked at us, and only one guy actually talked to us. They didn't tell us to leave, but probably were checking us out to see if we looked dangerous. We were on various side roads around the airport.

Overall, I'd say things have calmed down and you certainly don't have worry about anything more serious than simply being asked to move on. Just bring your passport and tell the truth if they ask.

regards,

RogueTrader

Billy

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:57 am

Airside is now impossible unless you are a passenger. You have to show tickets and join horrible lines to get through security (ATL is awful in the morning). Some of the smaller airports with car parking close to the terminal have security on approach roads or the car park gets closed down.

This was my experience earlier this month.

Lekky-Man
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:31 pm

Thanks all for the info. It'll be MCO and/or maybe TPA which i'll be visiting so you never know, I may be ok.

Once again,
Thanks,
LM

HlywdCatft

Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:49 pm

there probably are restaurants or parking lots around the perimeter that you can spot at, just might not see all operations

deltairlines

Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:01 am

Some airports here in the US have become way too concerned with killing of the hobby of aircraft species, while others are perfectly fine with it. I remember reading that MCO has beefed up security a lot lately, but I would recommend talking with Justin Cederholm or Brian Stevenson (just type their names in the photo search engine and then follow the links to contact them).

Jeff