CMK10

First Post-9/11 Flight

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:39 am

I'm about to take my first post September 11th flight, American from LGA to MCO, what changes will i expect? will i have to do anythign different on the flights or at the airports?
Thank You
DC-10's forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

Sabena 690

RE: First Post-9/11 Flight

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:42 am

The only thing I can say you is that the security mesures are very very severe now! It takes a long time. There will be a queu at the security post. So be at the airport 2,5h before the departure of your intercontinental flight.

Regards,
Sabena 690

LH423

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:43 am

Nothing has really changed during the check-in process, however if something isn't perfect in your reservation you will trip the computer alert system which will entitle you to increased security checks once you reach the gate. Other than that, just be prepared for a lot of soldiers with guns standing around the security checkpoint and don't bother putting your photo ID away after checking-in, because undoubtedly you'll have to show it again at least 2 more times, once when going through security and then when boarding the aircraft.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

FrequentFlyKid

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:55 am

2.5 hours before departure?! You are kidding me. The first couple of flights after 9/11 I went the prescribed 2 hours early and it was way to much. I am back to the normal 45 minutes to an hour prior to departure.

N509JB

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:05 am

Flights close 30mins before departure now, if you're checking bags. Get there way before then, I cant stress that enough...

B

2912n

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:18 am

After taking a couple of trips it seems that different airports are, well, different. At SAN the lines were long, crossed over each other and some of the security folks were on the confused/confusing side. (Telling people to go into certain lines, then closing that line comes to mind....) At SMF things went smoothly and quickly. Much of your timing will depend on how busy the airport is overall and at the time of your flight. Peak times at SAN are on the ugly side, mainly becasue the terminal is too small for the number of people waiting in line. But off peak hours it is almost business as usual. Be careful what you pack, be patient and have your ID and other documents in order and you will have no problems. Be like a woman who was checking in near me who "forgot" her ID, was trying to get on a different flight for which she was booked and had her entire house packed into what she wanted to carry on...well....Some people are just stupid.  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos