HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Suckling Airways 747?

Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:05 am

I did a search on airliners.net and saw an airline called Suckling Airways/Airlines or whatever and saw that they fly Dornier products in England. But what I was wondering about was I was looking at flightarrivals.com for JFK when I saw a flight yesterday was Suckling Airways 742 from Huntsville. Obviously this sounds like a completely different Suckling Airways but I can't find any pics of it on Airliners.net. Does anyone know anything about a Suckling Airways that flies 742s between Huntsville Ala and JFK?

patroni

RE: Suckling Airways 747?

Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:45 pm

Did it say "Suckling Airways" or only the two-letter code CB? If it was the latter case, then it might be that another airline has the same 2-letter code. IATA sometimes assigns the same 2-letter code to two different airlines, provided that their operational profile and location is too different to mix them.

Example :
CV = Cargolux, major 747F operator in Luxembourg and
CV = Air Chathams (sp?), New Zealand, regional carrier

BTW, Suckling Airways is now called Scot Airways.

Cheers,

Tom

HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:11 am

I don't know two letter codes that well. It could be though that flightarrivals.com screwed up and posted it as Suckling Airways.

You know Cargolux sounds accurate though. I know Cargolux occassionally serves Huntsville and stopping at JFK for refuelling before heading to Luxemburg makes perfect sense.

Falcon Flyer

Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:00 am

From what I've noticed, Flightarrivals.com shows some duplicate ICAO ATC 3-letter codes, which I didn't think existed. I believe for example, that Sucking shares the CKS with the new Kalitta Air. Another example is Fine Air with it's FBF prefix, labeled on flightarrivals as Guardair. Arrow Air's APW prefix comes up as something like "Ord Air Charter".
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:42 am

There is a reservations web site that always calls EVA Air Deutsche BA for some reason.

patroni

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:35 am

@HlywdCatft

na, was definitely no Cargolux as they fly back directly from HSV twice a week (no refuelling needed on the 747-400 for that sector). I just took them as an example for double IATA codes.

But I guess that the airline from HSV to JFK was indeed Kalitta. Connie Kalitta Services/Kitty Hawk Charters uses the 2-letter code CB which is the same like Suckling Airways/Scot Airways. So I guess that the system looked up the passenger airlines first so that the flight appeared as Suckling Airways.