dripstick

What's The Escape Plan, Stan?

Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:12 am

What do the newest airliners have in place for a cockpit escape or evacuation. Do they still use ropes if they have to bail or does it depend on the type.

Which cockpits have escape hatches in the floor/ceiling?

What if Captain/First Officer Stan is obese?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Tengku Azahan

Click for large version

Photo © Jeff Bigelow

Click for large version

Photo © Kjell nilsson

What's another word for thesaurus?

Spitfire

RE: What's The Escape Plan, Stan?

Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:21 am

On the A340 and 330, we still have two ropes (above, behind our head) to bail thru the sliding windows, and a ladder in the "electronic compartiment" below the cockpit floor,just in front of the nose wheel.

And we didn't not have obese pilots at Sabena...  Wink/being sarcastic
Rgds
Spitfire
Sabena ... Never to be forgotten (12 years already , what a shame !! )

fly_yhm

Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:12 am

Westjets 737-200s have ropes as I remember being told where they were in case of emergency when I flew jumpseat.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

Cessnapimp

Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:55 am

On L-1011's (all series: 1,50,100,150,500), there are five handles(for the five seats in the cockpit) connected to a rope tied to a slowing mechanism; as you pop the top hatch, located above the jumpseat behind the Captain's chair, you grab one of the handles, jump and slide off the fuselage. The mechanism will slow you to a gentle "touchdown" by the time you reach the bottom end of the fuselage (in case of a gear collapse) You can see the five handles in this pic, right above the portable, water activated ELT (day-glo orange cylinder)

Click for large version

Photo © Jeff Bigelow

In this next picture, you can clearly see how the escape hatch is located in reference to the pitot tube and the static port; you gotta be careful not to scrape and burn your ass on them as you slide down. Ouch! (Pitot tubes are REALLY hot on those babies if the pitot heat is on)

Click for large version

Photo © Takuji Sohmura - the airliner photo collection

And so concludes escaping the cockpit of my favorite plane.

Grégoire

Cessnapimp

Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:06 am

If there's one thing that I hate in aviation, it's misinformation. On that note I'm sorry; the device that you see above the two pitot tubes is a stall warning device that is linked to the "shaker" mechanism on the control yoke.

Apologies,

Grégoire

dripstick

Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:10 am

Either way, it would still hurt like a son-of-a-B, if you hit it on the way down!
What's another word for thesaurus?