Thom@s
Topic Author

What Is It Like To Fly The Fokker50?

Thu Apr 04, 2002 4:13 am

To those of you who have flown the F50, what was it like? Is it noisy and capable of knocking you off your feet during startup? Is there much legroom? Would you say 1 hour 40 min is a looooong time to spend on a plane like this?  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Britair

RE: What Is It Like To Fly The Fokker50?

Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:48 am

I have flown the F50 many times (with Ansett Australia/Air NSW and SAS Scandinavian) and really really loved the aircraft. It had much more of a "real airliner" feel than the Dash8, ATR42/72, Saab340's that I've flown in.

Then again I always loved the F27 Friendship (those huge windows!!) too.

You'll love it!

Cheers

Smile

DIA

Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:51 am

The latest issue of Airways Magazine has a big story on flying aboard a Lufthansa F50, pretty interesting.

Cheers, DIA
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

prebennorholm

Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:23 am

Inside noise and vibrations are a different world compared to jet planes.

You may be unlucky and fly for a long time in heavy turbulence at the lower altitude.

But you will easily survive.

"Comfort" (if any) is best in the back of the plane, opposite jet planes. Try not to sit in line with the propellers.

And if you are anywhere near 6 feet or taller, don't bang your forehead on the low ceiling where the wing main spar passes through the cabin.

Have a nice flight, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

EGGD

Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:31 am

Awesome ride, noisy, slow, dirty, fun!!! Great in turbulence, feel every bump and sway. Just as long as its KLM Cityhopper  Big grin

Greg

Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:44 am

I flew Air Nostrum from Paris to Bilbao, Spain on a F50.
Other than great service..it was basically a loud rollercoaster ride. They are NOT very refined aircraft.

They do, however, feel very solid and secure even when being bounced about (something that can't be said for the ATR series). Also..the gear, flaps...hell...every mechanism on the bird makes a fairly decent noise when used.

You'll enjoy it.

apuneger

Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:47 am

I had the opportunity to participate in a sightseeing flight on board of a VLM Fokker-50 (base at EBAW, Belgium).

The aircraft is nice to fly with, there was more legroom than I expected. The only thing that drew my attention is that, when applying throttle on take-off, the aircraft started to shake very heavily. On this website, I was told that this was possibly due to the fact that VLM pilots hold the parking brakes until the engines spool up. But don't worry, not many airlines do this (I think) and it was great!

Enjoy your flight! And if you'd like to see some pictures taken from the inside of a Fokker-50, check out http://users.telenet.be/PowerCorruptionLies/Roundflights.htm  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Thom@s
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:05 pm

Thankis everyone. It's not like I've never flown a prop or anything, so I know about the propeller disk stuff.  Smile

Thanks for the pics.  Big thumbs up

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"